Jimquisition: The Past Is Not The Future

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Past Is Not The Future

They say history repeats itself, but that's not always true. Just because something happened with a videogame console over five years ago, that doesn't mean it'll happen again. The past is not the future, and the present is a very different animal.

Watch Video

Well when you lay it out like that, I can't really dignify any of the 3DS's faults. You win this time.

Another good selection of points. Well done Jim.

Certainly improved after the first few episodes, this was awesomely funny in places.

Also is it just me or is Jim Sterling abit like the Jeremy Clarkson of gaming?

...probably not, but it sounded clever in my head

Good episode Jim, can't say I've got a good word to say about the 3DS so far.

Togs:
Certainly improved after the first few episodes, this was awesomely funny in places.

Nah, Jeremy Clarkson is actually a knobhead...

Nobody really thinks you're arrogant, Jim. They're all just jelous, like.

I'm proud to have avoided that horse**** landmine called the 3DS launch. Sure, at the time, I had money to pander to it, but I've kept saying that ports of games I've already played is not justification to buy a new platform. If you already own the original (Snake Eater), buying a NEW console, then BUYING the new version is just wasted money. It's times like these I'm glad Enix has decided to not port DQX to Wii U just yet.

Togs:

[/sub]

Hes starting to sound that way to me too, good or bad?

Good points this week Jimmy boy, console argument/ranting is still bad enough, but Nintendo (and fans) must know that the 3DS is a very slow cooking turkey. Either it will, as you said, take its time and slow roast to perfection, or they'll serve it too early and we all wind up with salmonella.

Azure-Supernova:
Good episode Jim, can't say I've got a good word to say about the 3DS so far.

Togs:

Nah, Jeremy Clarkson is actually a knobhead...

As much as I love TopGear, I kinda agree there.

James May, on the other hand, is everything a man should be.

OT: Great episode. The 3DS really needs some good games, ASAP, at least within the next few months (not counting remakes).

I have to wonder, is it really worth getting worked up about, or responding to, the arguments of fans?

I mean... they're fans. Expecting them to speak sense is a something of a lost cause.

PS. Incidentally, I somehow seem to have gone from downright loathing The Jimquisition to rather enjoying it. Hm. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.

It's like a love letter to Stealth!

@Zhukov: I think it's a combination of getting used to Jim and I really do think he's improving with each episode.

We get it, "Fuck Nintendo". It seems at this point you're cherrypicking random unpopular arguments to stick it to them some more. Give it a rest.

Great points all. I really am pretty much coming to the Escapist now for Jimquisition and Miracle of Sound.

Great stuff, keep it up.

Well done Sterling. You win this round.

it's about time sony does something right with the PSP2(i refuse to use the stupid pastel-polo-shirt-wearing name it has). I just hope the uncharted title is not the only strong one avaible at launch, i hate uncharted.

also: SUCK IT nintendo fanboys.

I was never much of a Nintendo fan.

The past is the future. 3Ds is the new PS3 and the Ps3, at its time, was the new N64. So you are wrong. Because of that, take off your shirt and show your sex torso.

Jim, you are starting to make good points on all sides about the 3DS. When the price drop happens, I have been thinking about getting a 3DS, but as someone put it, if I own Snake Eater (And I do, Subsistence and the Original), then Snake Eater 3D is just wasting money.

I wish I could feel for the 3DS, but it still feels like a gimmick and less like an actual gaming system to me. While SNES was my first gaming console (I was 3 when I got mine), it can only serve so much in the way of actual argument for Nintendo's later systems and their expected quality.

I don't know. Now that you've said it, I will probably put 3DS on the backburner until they release at least five or six games I haven't played. So Ocarina of Time doesn't count. They have to release something original, clever and fun in order for me to buy it.
Now, they need to do it at least five more times.

ALSO: Jim, why is it when you bring up your "Thank God" things at the end do I laugh the hardest?

Good points.
Come to think about it, we have like, 2 approaches here - cheap, smaller games for iOS devices or more expensive large HD games for PS vita. 3DS basically failed because they failed at providing anything really special or superior. They relied on 3D... And nobody fucking want 3D on a mobile platform! FFS, I don't want it in games at all, it makes your perception less sharp. Don't mind it in movies though.

Not really surprised. I mean, I kinda figured Nintendo was in trouble when all it did was make sequels. I mean, when was the last time Nintendo came out with an original game concept? They've kinda become the DC and Marvel of game studios, starting out with some great hits but only hashing and rehashing the same things over and over again. (I don't care how good Legend of Zelda is. I want to play something other than that blond freaking elf guy they call Link)

Huh. He actually had something relevant to say this week; pity that he got his video out long after the general populace already dissected the topic.

Anywho...

The 3DS can certainly compete in the handheld console market, but definitely not in the same market as iPhones iPads and Android, (whose market is already having the same serious mass-shovelware issues that every console family to date has undergone; indicating that that massive casual-shit fad isn't over, it merely changed platforms).

And that's all due to the fact that many of those apps are still very competitively priced or free; something Nintendo isn't doing even with total dinosaurs of games like Link's Awakening DX or Super Mario Land.

I would say it's not even fair to equate them as being the same market anymore, but at the same time it's currently difficult to separate them due a lack of distinction: developers aren't jumping onto the 3DS in droves anymore.

The price cut is a good and strong start for Nintendo to stabilize its situation, but they need to follow it up with a series of killer apps this Christmas, or the 3DS will die.

This show gets better and better at what it does. As for arrogance being a fault of these videos, uh... so bloody what? Yahtzee has been making a damn good living turning arrogance into well scripted web content for 3 years running. When it works it works.
This show has it's place and it's always entertaining even if I don't agree with the points being made, although more often than not I agree.

Best part of the Jimquisition as an entitiy is that it seems it's goal is to take the piss out of the forum culture gamers have built for themselves and I for one can't see that happen enough. Well done as usual. Can't wait for the next episode.

While you do make a good point, there is still a huge market for dedicated gaming platforms. Yes, you can go onto the IOS and download quality games for free, but you're going to have to sift through hours upon hours of shit and clones.

And while the 3DS doesn't have a great battery, especially if you use the 3D, the iPhone and tablets are worse. Tablets fall into all the pitfalls the standard PC does, PLUS the fact that its limited to a battery and touch-interfaces. Tablets are not the future of gaming, because developing good games for tablets is expensive, does not reach a wide variety of consumers, and won't sell at prices that would fetch the company a net profit.

That being said, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with this. They released it at a SLOW time in the industry. At $250, about the same price as a 360 or PS3. And their starting lineup was pitiful. Like you said, starting lineups are meh, but usually contain atleast one new IP, an update on an older IP, or atleast one gem in the rough. Instead, we literally got shovelware and Street Fighter.

And in the time since release, there has been a total of one game to come out on the platform to make it worth buying - and thats a remake of a game most Nintendo fans own and can readily play on an N64, a GameCube (OoT was released on the GameCube as a promotional pack, along with a whole host of Zelda games), and the Wii.

Lets not also forget Nintendo made a system thats just a pain to use. 3D is fucking annoying. I'll go as far to say thats a fact - if you can honestly tell me 3D has given you anything other than a headache, you're a liar. Not to mention, they gave us an analog nub. You know why the PSP flopped? CONTROLLING THE CAMERA AND MOVEMENT WITH THE SAME HAND AT THE SAME TIME BY SWITCHING BETWEEN ANALOG AND A DIRECTIONAL PAD IS UNCONFORTABLE, ANNOYING, AND USELESS. Granted, they have the touch screen to act like a second pad, but it doesn't. Its not responsive enough, and the stylus forces you to then give up the ability to properly hit the buttons. This isn't rocket science - gamers want comfort from their consoles. Mouse and keyboard and controllers are set up for convenience.

Nintendo's flopping because Nintendo is still treating games like a childs toy. They started out as a toy company, so I can naturally see why. They are relying more and more on gimmicks, because their last couple of gimmicks worked out for them. Marketing something that has no market for anyone is a bad business strategy.

wooty:

Hes starting to sound that way to me too, good or bad?

To me at least its an unabashed good thing- the world needs our Jeremy Clarksons to stop everyone else from getting to up themselves.

I hope nintendo crashes and burns.

No more shitty nintendo products for 10 years, maybe when they are as humbled as sega they might get their act together. All they seem to do these days is recylcle the same tired garbage like super mario and metroid.

I hope we never see another nintendo gaming platform, they can go back to making playing cards until they learn their lessons.

Great points, people actually doesn't acknowledge the existence of the Iphone and the Android on the internet apparently, specially when there are emulator and so forth than can reproduce the same experience, I do think that Sony got its points right and shift markets, also taking down the PSP and getting line up for the Vita(COD, I know everyone hates COD at this point but people actually buys that stuff.

3DS only limits to a handful of ports, and for more exclusives games that it can probably have in the upcoming years, I don't find something that could match the quality of Iphone games, Android games and even some PSP games(KH, MGS PW, and monster hunter).

Well, that a good recall for Nintendo fanboys, I hope that you can provide cool bulletpoints for the other crouds(Xbox,PC and PlayStation fanboys).

Great vid, these vids should have a thumbs-up ranting or something.

Huh, I wasn't even aware some people were white-knighting for Nintendo using that argument... I personally got a 3DS mainly to play the DS games I was still busy with when my DS... had an unfortunate accident, I feel a little foolish now for not waiting a little longer for the price cut.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these arguments will convince MAYBE 1 or 2 Big N fanboys to change their tune.

Maybe.

Points well made, however.

Togs:

Meh, I think he's closer to Charlie Brooker, although Charlie did do a spot on gaming a while ago, but if you've seen the sort of stuff he does you'll see what I mean.

Okay, the blatant Nintendo bashing is just too far. I don't want Nintendo to fail, but I also wish they hadn't been so haphazard with the 3DS (or anything they've done between 2010 and today). Nintendo really has got to get their act together and realize they can't get away with stupid shit like releasing a console without any games. Nintendo systems don't print money despite what animated GIFs on the internet would have Nintendo believe. If there had been quality games at launch, people would have had no problem buying the 3DS. Those people who say they don't regret buying the 3DS are delusional. There is nothing of worth that justifies having a 3DS just yet. Sure they're getting the 20 free games, but those are a "We're sorry we have jack shit in terms of 3DS games to offer you."

If Nintendo doesn't get their act together by the time the WiiU (I like to call it the WiiII) comes around, then yes, Nintendo will have been screwing around for too long stroking their egos and then they can burn to the ground.

Uber Waddles:

Lets not also forget Nintendo made a system thats just a pain to use. 3D is fucking annoying. I'll go as far to say thats a fact - if you can honestly tell me 3D has given you anything other than a headache, you're a liar.

I have no problem with the 3D. I was playing my friends game of Ocarina 3D and got from the start of the game to little after getting Zelda's letter with the 3D on full with no problem until the battery indicator turned critical (it wasn't fully charged). I probably could have gone longer. Not everyone gets headaches from the 3D. It actually gave what looked like a 3Dish world some depth. The 3D is really something to get used to.

People might say that 3D and Kinect are both useless gimmicks that deserve to be boiled in lava, but I see them as small steps getting us closer to holodecks, and I like the holodeck so I like 3D and the Kinect.

I never used the past as an argument. I do think the 3DS will be successful, but yes, this launch was an absolute bomb. Seriously, launching a system in March, and all the big system sellers aren't coming out until September or later. They didn't even have the EShop on launch until June.

I have been enjoying the games I get on the Eshop (there are some really good games there if you look for them), and I've mostly been using the 3DS for all the DS games I've missed. With the better graphics, better controls and better online service, it's a good system. A great system, even. But between the bad launch and for some reason Nintendo deciding to advertise the worst part of the system (the 3D) instead of all those good things I listed before, it's just been shooting itself in the figurative foot.

And with lots of great games either staying Japan only (Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright), just not coming out at all (Megaman Legends 3... hmmm, both involve Capcom... I'm seeing a pattern here...) or still months away (Every single first party title from Nintendo), the next few months are going to be rough for Nintendo until said games come out. And it might even be too late.

Also, Jim, this site hates Nintendo, practically by reflex at this point. This kind of video is only going to get you more fans.

I never knew that some people were using that argument as a reason for why the 3DS is doing so poorly, the more you know I guess.

It's really painful to see Nintendo still doing the same thing every time they have a new platform to release, I mean, they've been around for how long now? But then again, I think we are to blame as well for letting them get away with it.... I love Nintendo, but for the past few years I've noticed that they've been acting strange and it's very off putting.

Good episode there Jim, the way you put it, it makes me feel foolish for even thinking of buying the 3DS at launch.

I'm a pretty big nintendo fan, but I agree with you completely. I don't even see the point in buying a 3DS since I already have a normal one.

lack of launch titles and overpriced e-store indeed.
i got a 3DS only recently for cheap, and my only excuse was that my old DS broke, and i couldnt justify not spending the extra 30-40 to get something that will eventually have some decent exclusives for it... hopefully.

Huh.
He actually made really good points this time around.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here