Jimquisition: The Past Is Not The Future

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Well the issues raised here are far to big to be put in one episode of anything but the feature set of the 3Ds is fucking embarasssing. Its a DS. With 3D. That is it.

The markets on all platforms are adapting apart from Nintendo platforms. The Wii is a dead console. The Wii has seen to that and so has the almost utter lack of support over the past year. PC gaming would seem to be on the rise again, but not in the traditional sense, the platroms have changed but the open multipurpose platforn is really making a comeback.

I really hope Nintendo has the same fate as Sega...No it should have a worst fate, Sega almost died cause they tried to release new ideas and put a lot of effort and money into they're games(Shenmue, House of the Dead, Virtual Fighter and Racing, Nights, etc). Nintendo on the other hand just kept releasing sequels after sequels (even though they're mostly good) to make more and more money, and sometimes PUBLISH a new game. If Nintendo don't start creating new ideas instead of making useless gimmicks and sequels I will abandon they. Nintendo like other companies get all the attention because of sequels while others companies and games that actually try new things don't get a third of the attention.

Best episode yet Jim.

I have a love/hate to how you dismiss the point that hole DS launch argument. It's true, the 3DS has more of a reason to fail now, then the DS did, but Nintendo did the same thing with the DS they are doing with the 3DS. They shipped it out with no games worth getting. But the 3DS may not come back form that unlike the DS, because of the mobile devises are many and can all play games (for the most part). Before all there was had been Nintendo handheld systems, and Sony's PSP, (and Sega's game gear... but that was before GBA. Oh... and N-gaga.

The 3DS if it gets some good games going can do just as well as the DS. GBA, or PSP... but it needs some really good games.

Good points, but it'd be nice if he dropped the arrogant childish persona which does nothing but hurt his credibility... The persona he 'assumes' (it's stated by many it's merely an assumed persona and not really Jim) is a huge turnoff and anyone that disagrees with his point can easily ignore him because of it (as an example in his defence of CoD episode he paints anyone that happens to not enjoy shooters as pretentious douchebags, while coming across as the exact kind of raging douche that makes so many people avoid CoD and multiplayer in general).

The only reason Nintendo gets away with this is because of the large herd of fanboys that keep buying the same game over and over again. Yahtzee states the exact same point in his review of SSBB, and I think he and Jim Sterling both are right.

Nintendo somehow seems to be getting a free pass, and I think it's because of the legacy releases. Hell I have a PSP solely to play some of the PS1 ports that are available to it, even though I generally find it to be a very bad gaming platform.

The post-iPhone smartphone has revolutionized the world, and it is indeed a bold bet to create a dedicated device for gaming. They seem to do commit to the same ignorance as Nokia did when Android came and hammered the final nail in the coffin that the iPhone had laid out.

The market is very saturated at this point with mobile games that are very easy to get hold on. But let's not judge this too quickly. Nintendo is a big boy, a big corporation with a lot of competent people deciding the strategies of the products. If the 3DS hadn't made any sense from an economical standpoint, it would not have been made.

To whom are these videos directed? Do Jim and the Extra Credits folks just respond with videos to random forum posters around the internet?

I wanted the 3DS to succeed so badly. Everything about it sounded amazing... until I picked it up and tried it in the store. Such a trainwreck. It's like they're trying to sell a portable Wii for a higher price and years after anyone would want one.

Zhukov:
I have to wonder, is it really worth getting worked up about, or responding to, the arguments of fans?

I mean... they're fans. Expecting them to speak sense is a something of a lost cause.

PS. Incidentally, I somehow seem to have gone from downright loathing The Jimquisition to rather enjoying it. Hm. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.

>.> your not the only one, started off not liking it my self, now >.> its part of my weekly routine how'd that happen o.0

Some good points. I think the launch time and games lineup were terrible. I don't think this system is a fail either though. Also, not to argue the point, they didn't cut his pay, he cut his pay. There is actually a difference. While some good points are made, there are those same points that have been said in the past. I don't understand why things are either considered pass or fail by so many gamers. They won't be as successful as they were with the DS and Wii. Those systems also came out in much better economic times. The entire industry is taking a hit. Of course any gamer is going to work with what they have when they cannot afford more.

I personally stopped caring about Jim's opinions on the 3DS as soon as he called the free software given out by the 3DS ambassador program "shovelware."

Seriously? You're going to go and call some of Nintendo's greatest GBA and NES games "shovelware?"

The same can be said for Kinect and Move for releasing with a small library after Nintendo did it. It's just a matter of knowing what at the time is a big deal breaker, and what's gimmicky rubbish.

I also came to a realization that I don't even care for Nintendo anymore. Sure I've borrowed some of the new games from friends to play, but I'm far more interested in other companies now. That and I'm a little tired of playing the exact same games I've had since I was 8.

Okay, the blatant Nintendo bashing is just too far. I don't want Nintendo to fail

It's not blatant bashing when the man is stating fact. The console came out with almost no library at all. Nintendo expected people to drop the cash than wait to play games, and the games that they did release were mostly ports. I myself am tired of companies relying on ports to fill the library. Make some new fucking content. Plus they didn't even really market the console all the well either. Than they made a unit that damages children's eyes. I myself feel that children are the number one user of handheld consoles because parents use them to shut them up when they are in public. Jim is simply stating it how it is. He is calling a spade a spade, simple as that.

Than Nintendo starts heading down the same path with the Wii U. They might as well give up on making consoles and start developing their games as cross platform, at least we won't have to buy shit consoles to play maybe 3 or 4 decent games.

robert01:

Then they made a unit that damages children's eyes.

Well, if you're a a responsible parent you should read the warnings and set the parental controls to disable 3D.

robert01:
Then Nintendo starts heading down the same path with the Wii U. They might as well give up on making consoles and start developing their games as cross platform, at least we won't have to buy shit consoles to play maybe 3 or 4 decent games.

You're fucking joking, right? The Wii U's only just been announced and it already has more evidence of good third-party support than the Wii ever did. Hell, even Valve of all companies is interested in development for it.

i agree that past games don't make the system, although i think the wii is a better example than the gamecube. it wasn't on the same level as ps2/xbox but it did offer some decent game selection. i didn't feel stupid for choosing the gamecube over a ps2 first, even if there were a few games i couldn't get. wii has just disappointed all around.

that said, speculation that the 3ds "will fail because its a different time than the ds's rise"
is just as bad as claiming "it will survive because the ds did."

granted you did give some good points on why that i gotta admit are pretty justified, but its a little early to be digging its grave. although they didn't leap out with all they have promised, it seems like it has followed pretty closely. they definitely need some non ported gold, but i wouldn't say it is currently worse off than its predecessor.

i haven't played one yet so i can't say wether i would buy one for 3d, but since all the new games are likely going to be incompatible with my ancient ds brick, hearing that the price has dropped is one more point going for it. they just need a strong lineup to back it now.

still, gotta thank God--for Jim. =D

I hope I'm not the only person who has always thought Jim was brilliant and of the most logical commentators on dah interwebs. I've been enjoying his videos since Destructoid.

Well I'm struggling to feel sorry for Nintendo. I do love their games but they have made so many bullscheiße mistakes I guess I just have to buy an NGP.

Jim Sterling is the Voldermort of video games?

FDDragoon:
Quality iOS games? You mean, those games that people play for 10-15 minutes and forget they existed an hour after they downloaded them. I still see no interest in a smartphone or a tablet PC since I live in a rural area and my computer can do everything it can and then some without needing to be recharged every 4 hours. So while game companies may be "embracing" those platforms, I've still yet to see a title on those platforms to reach massive success other than Angry Birds. I actually sat down and played Angry Birds, or as I like to call it "something that was on Newgrounds 5 years ago." So if Smartphones and Tablet PCs are only able to produce stuff that has been on flash gaming websites for years, then color me even more unimpressed.

Meanwhile Nintendo pulled a fast on on Sony with the price drop. Now Sony is forced to sell the Vita at the $249 price point unless it wants to incur a major profit loss per unit sold, and it'll probably still release with an anemic launch library JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CONSOLE AND HANDHELD. But, seeing as this is the Escapist, I'll probably get banned for disagreeing with a producer. It's what happened to LordKat, and it'll probably happen to me.

So no Jim Sterling, I will not thank god for you. Good day sir.

LordKat got banned because he used harsh language, used direct insults, And pretty much didn't raise anything that was note worthy as a conversational piece. Do not overlook that.

I got the 3DS at launch, because I hadn't had any DS for years and felt it was time I got one again. I got Pilotwings Resort and Pokemon Black with it. For the first month or so, I barely touched Pilotwings, but I did play a lot of Pokemon until I got to one particular gym where I was severely underpowered, didn't feel like grinding, and put the game down. My 3DS then sat dormant for months. It saw use again when Ocarina of Time 3D launched, and that was my first time playing OoT as well, but it's sat unused once again after I beat that.

Back during the prerelease hype, everyone was excited and there seemed to be a good launch lineup. What happened? Where did all the games go? I know the Assassin's Creed one got turned into Revelations, but still. There's nothing interesting on the horizon aside from Mario 3D this winter, and the only thing stopping me from selling my 3DS is that with the price drop, I wouldn't get enough of my investment back to make it worth it.

It certainly has a point; I enjoyed the video more than I thought it would.

One thing to note, make sure to name the title of the video better. "The Past is not the Future" bullshit doesn't hold my interest; I almost didn't watch this video. "Nintendo's ignorance with 3DS" holds up better in my opinion.

So So true Jim the rise of the app has affected the handheld market so much

deth2munkies:
We get it, "Fuck Nintendo". It seems at this point you're cherrypicking random unpopular arguments to stick it to them some more. Give it a rest.

Aw, it's a fanboy! Bless you.

deth2munkies:
We get it, "Fuck Nintendo". It seems at this point you're cherrypicking random unpopular arguments to stick it to them some more. Give it a rest.

He should give it a rest, that way, some guy could re-enact the Columbine Massacre all over his brilliant face, thank GOD for his very fat, ass face... Its a joke, so no being douches about it. I agree with you though, to the word, your right on. I guess hes just a aquired taste.

ccdohl:
To whom are these videos directed? Do Jim and the Extra Credits folks just respond with videos to random forum posters around the internet?

Extra Credits nods at forum posters, but Jim straight up responds, and makes them full episodes with no point at all, I know for a FUCKING FACT that he responded to mine at one point, where I made a well thought out letter about how he should change how he does things or leave, and I said change it to where he was treating the community he was on with respect, instead of treating them like their stupid. Watched an episode, liked it, commented, then hated the next one, never went back. Jim is directed at random forum posters, and less to actual journalism.

The Jimquisition keeps getting better and better each episode, keep up the good work Sir Sterling.

Yet another well put argument, and I agree. Nintendo aren't the big dogs anymore.

Nintendo used to be good. I had a game boy classic, a colour, an advanced...and there I stopped. For consoles I had a NES, N64, Gamecube and then I stopped and went for an Xbox360 instead.

With the Wii and the DS the brand just started to go downwards imo. More and more they just started to turn out sequels and ports. Then came the gimmicks too like motion control, weird plastic versions of a steering wheel/golf club/gun/etc, then a new, different DS...and another one...AND another one (first, lite, dsi, dsixl) and now a 3ds which is also mostly just a gimmick.

Nintendo is still a huge company, but this crap, combined with not going international with AWESOME titles...yea, I quit getting nintendo things a while back. Apart from the DSi XL I got for my birthday, but that was a gift. And I still only have golden sun: dark dawn and FF4 for it (the games I got for my birthday as well)

I absolutely agree, but I see the main point differently than most posters here apparently do. Nintendo and the 3DS are not the point, they're merely the most current example...
the point being: dedicated game consoles are a thing of the past. If you sell a piece of hardware that only exists in one major market: gaming... expect it to fail. If the 3DS were also a fully (or even mostly) functional tablet PC, it may have stood a chance.

i'm warming up to this series quite a bit.
good vid

Chris de Burgh does have the best hair.

drkchmst:
Thank God for Jim. I have but one question...is there a solution for Nintendo or is Nintendo FUBAR to serve as a lesson to sit next to the original PSP launch.

I think the best solution would to be melt Nintendo down for scrap, possibly to make a new spacecraft to replace the shuttle program, or perhaps Sony/Microsofts next console. Though by the time we get one of them, the former and the latter will probably both be one and the same thing.

Anyway, another good episode here. This series has improved dramatically here on The Escapist since Jim has seemingly calmed down a bit and started to sound more, well, rational.

Oh, and in closing, butthurt Nintendo fans are adorably funny when they get angry. Look at their little red faces!

Goddamn it Jim!
I still heavily dislike the guy but can't disagree with him...

Although with a strong looking future lineup and a price cut the 3DS may still prove itself, you can't deny it's been a flop up until now, mainly for the lack of games...
And yeah, people trying to justify a bad launch with "Console X had a bad launch and it succeeded" is pretty dumb.

The only problem I can see is calling iOS games 'quality'... they're pretty much slightly- enhanced versions of the flash games you play for free on Kongregate and Newgrounds...

That said, just wait Jim... you'll provide a bad argument one day! and I'll be there >.>

ripdajacker:
Hell I have a PSP solely to play some of the PS1 ports that are available to it, even though I generally find it to be a very bad gaming platform.

Likewise... even though my purchases for it are all still legitimate I can't STAND using UMDs so I dumped the few games I bought onto a memory stick...
*crunch crunch schshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhk* no more!
And PS1 games... Team Buddies is obviously nowhere near as fun to me as it was when I was 8 but damn it was nice to see it again :P

Mangue Surfer:
The past is the future. 3Ds is the new PS3 and the Ps3, at its time, was the new N64. So you are wrong. Because of that, take off your shirt and show your sex torso.

Except that the PS3 was also marketed as a blu-ray video that wasn't horrible expensive compare to the competition at the time. The 3DS is just becoming kinda irrelevant in an era when mobile technology is becoming more versatile with every year. Then there is also the fact that a lot of people figure that lugging around on an expensive piece of gaming equipment along with their phone is cumbersome they figure there is no reason to get a 3DS. I expect the new PSP will also not sell all that well unless they have a really impressive library with exclusive titles.

Also, there is also the fact that you could just spend your money on a really fancy phone rather then sink those money in to a 3DS which also has expensive games compared some of the cheaper ones on the phone.

Gaming is changing and the gamer culture don't want to acknowledge this. Nothing good lasts forever.

Arkynomicon:

Mangue Surfer:
The past is the future. 3Ds is the new PS3 and the Ps3, at its time, was the new N64. So you are wrong. Because of that, take off your shirt and show your sex torso.

Except that the PS3 was also marketed as a blu-ray video that wasn't horrible expensive compare to the competition at the time. The 3DS is just becoming kinda irrelevant in an era when mobile technology is becoming more versatile with every year. Then there is also the fact that a lot of people figure that lugging around on an expensive piece of gaming equipment along with their phone is cumbersome they figure there is no reason to get a 3DS. I expect the new PSP will also not sell all that well unless they have a really impressive library with exclusive titles.

Also, there is also the fact that you could just spend your money on a really fancy phone rather then sink those money in to a 3DS which also has expensive games compared some of the cheaper ones on the phone.

Gaming is changing and the gamer culture don't want to acknowledge this. Nothing good lasts forever.

Except that Playstation was the biggest console of all time and now is in the last place.

what happened to last weeks episode? it gives me a 404 error when i try to watch it

Mangue Surfer:

Arkynomicon:

Mangue Surfer:

Except that Playstation was the biggest console of all time and now is in the last place.

Yeah, things change and not everyone is gonna like it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here