The Big Picture: Super Single

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

We've lost the red briefs? Well, this is a shit reboot. What's next, Batman without his utility belt?

It's crazy scenarios like this that makes me wonder what would happen if Batman ever got married.

Well, I agree with the idea of making Superman single. If a character's main hook is that he has be a hero and sacrifice a real happy life in the name of what's right, it kind of goes against everything to have him be married.

Oh by the way, DC? If we are talking about retconned superhero relationships, can we please have Catwoman be Batman's only love interest? I just never liked any of the others.

Flint0924:
It's crazy scenarios like this that makes me wonder what would happen if Batman ever got married.

You need not wonder - it's happened at least twice. Neither one went down very well.

First time was in 1987 in a miniseries called "Son of The Demon;" wherein Batman married Talia Al Ghul (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter.) She became pregnant with his child, but lied and told him that she miscarried upon realizing that the prospect of having a family made Batman go soft (it's a complicated relationship.) For a long time this was treated as a maybe/maybe-not "side story," but a few years back DC officially wrote the event back into Batman's official continuity, revealing that Talia had raised the kid - alternately called "Ibn al Xu'ffasch" ("Son of The Bat") or Damian Wayne - as an assassin. He eventually became the fifth Robin during the time that Dick Grayson was Batman while Bruce Wayne was briefly believed dead, and will supposedly be Robin under Bruce in the "rebooted" DC Universe. Also, in the alternate-future "Kingdom Come" universe, he has a relationship with a heroine named NightStar, who's supposed to be the daughter of Dick Grayson and Starfire. Batman does not precisely approve.

Second time was in 2008, as part of the "Batman: RIP" story-arc. It's a little too recent still to drop big spoilers on IMO, but suffice it to say it didn't end well.

MovieBob:

Flint0924:

You need not wonder - it's happened at least twice. Neither one went down very well.

First time was in 1987 in a miniseries called "Son of The Demon;" wherein Batman married Talia Al Ghul (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter.) She became pregnant with his child, but lied and told him that she miscarried upon realizing that the prospect of having a family made Batman go soft (it's a complicated relationship.) For a long time this was treated as a maybe/maybe-not "side story," but a few years back DC officially wrote the event back into Batman's official continuity, revealing that Talia had raised the kid - alternately called "Ibn al Xu'ffasch" ("Son of The Bat") or Damian Wayne - as an assassin. He eventually became the fifth Robin during the time that Dick Grayson was Batman while Bruce Wayne was briefly believed dead, and will supposedly be Robin under Bruce in the "rebooted" DC Universe. Also, in the alternate-future "Kingdom Come" universe, he has a relationship with a heroine named NightStar, who's supposed to be the daughter of Dick Grayson and Starfire. Batman does not precisely approve.

Second time was in 2008, as part of the "Batman: RIP" story-arc. It's a little too recent still to drop big spoilers on IMO, but suffice it to say it didn't end well.

Actually it happened THREE times. The first one, like with Superman, happened on Earth-2 and was published as he Brave and the Bold #197 ("The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne!". Scarecrow sprays Batman with his fear gas and it causes Batman to be unable to hear, see, or even feel those closest to him.

MovieBob:

Flint0924:

He actually married Talia? I didn't know that. Heard about their son though. Wasn't he at some point possessed by Ra's, or am I getting my side characters mixed up?

Every time Superman and Wonder Woman get it on, it irritates me, so yeah, I'll be pissed if that is true. As for Superman/Lois, them getting married lost a major dynamic to his character, the human stress side, so I agree that the split up isn't a bad thing.

I'll read the new DC stuff, but I have a limited tolerance for it at the moment, so it had better be good. I couldn't be bothered with the Ultimates, but at least Marvel gave us a choice.

Wow, great episode.

Now, slightly off topic, oh my goodness, nearly all the silver age superman comic covers that moviebob flashed up I've read! My mum and uncle used to read DC comics when they were younger and my mother kept them and let me read them!

Man, I love silver age comics...

Once again, talking about comic book characters is fun!

There were some really good points about Superman's marriage in there.

I take a little exception to the haste of declaring Wonder Woman a lesbian. I know Bob's been campaigning for Wonder Woman and Cammy to join the all-girls team, but you'll forgive me for being a little frustrated with the opinion that because a woman is strong and tough and not actively seeking male companionship means she is a lesbian. You know, because it is totally impossible for her to have stereotypical masculine traits and be attracted to men at the same time.

Whatever, I'm probably harping on this too much. Especially since the main point of this video about how Superman's character not changing meant he should have his relationship status of single not change also is a good point I agree with.

That, and I kinda understand the point that there aren't enough positive homosexual characters in comics or gaming. But I recommend getting one who actually is homosexual, rather than trying to claim one who isn't just because she "behaves a little butch."

I wonder what are the changes to the Batman?

I don't agree that Superman can't be a good husband and a superhero. Clark Kent held down a full-time job. If he gives that up, then he'll have loads of time to save the world and sweet talk his honey.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here