Zero Punctuation: Bastion and From Dust

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bastion and From Dust

This week, Zero Punctuation does another XBLA double review with Bastion and From Dust.

Watch Video

I love story in games! Bastion here I come.

i was hoping for a catherine review. glad you liked bastion though.

That seemed like he liked bastion, and that from dust is another god game. But XBLA reviews are great for the semi-budget gamer like myself.

That was unexpected for him to critique 2 xbla games.
It was still good though.

The Arcade ZPs are the only episodes I'd consider buying a game because of, just because of the awesome prices all these little arcadey games go for :)

Nice, now i am really interested in getting se-erm...bastion, even tough i was already planning to, but oh well.
Hopefully next week it'll be a Catherine review...

I'm an engineer, and I approve of flying debris that materializes beneath my feet.

The planets must have been aligned or something if he actually enjoyed playing both games.

Had great fun watching this and I think I might grab Bastion once it get released on the PC.

i might just look into bastion thanks yahtzee

Sebastian sounds like a good game, haven't seen it on PSN, so it might be an exclusive title. From Dust sounds fun, but I already have Tropico to make little ants suffer whenever I got a bad day at my workplace.

Catherine is the big ass elephant in the room. An elephant with huge tits and a drunken stupor, but don't turn this into the Borderlands thing. If he really does read these things, he probably knows of it by now.

Awesome.

I didn't like the gameplay in the demo of Bastion, but I LOVED the story. The narration and the flavour of it were almost pitch perfect and it was almost enough to get me to buy the game on its own.

I still hope he never reviews Catherine just to see how long his fans will follow him despite him blatently ignoring them. As for the espisode you still gto it yahtze

I'd wager he'd be a grave digger then...

The indie games on XBLA are always something to look forward to, as they're selling a 'complete' game for $15 instead of just a beta that you might hypothetically have a full version of someday.

I'm surprised you didn't complain about the 360 controls and their imprecision. Just didn't want to copy any Penny Arcade jokes ever again, I suspect.

You know, constantly nagging him to play a game is probably one of the many reasons why he hates us, I'm sure he'll review Catherine when it comes out over there.

Never heard of any of these games, because I'm not an XBLA type person, but they look fun enough.

EDIT: Totally irrelevant, but has anyone else noticed that the captcha has a spellchecker? I mean of course what I just type in isn't a word, it's captcha!

Ah, excellent. I'm looking forward to playing From Dust (going to wait for the PC version on Steam)... it's just about all the entertainment I can afford this month anyway - unless I were to nab some of my neighbor's cat's food, that is.

Oh what a night.
Late December back in '63
What a very special time for me
What a fucking annoying song to have stuck in your head for all eternity. Thanks Yahtzee.

Huh.

I think you might have just sold Bastion to me.

I was strongly put off by the trailer, but I've since seen some glowing reviews. Add to that the above string of compliments regarding the story from none other than Mr Croshaw and I'm quickly starting to think my initial impression is due for a revision.

Sonicron:
Ah, excellent. I'm looking forward to playing From Dust (going to wait for the PC version on Steam)... it's just about all the entertainment I can afford this month anyway - unless I were to nab some of my neighbor's cat's food, that is.

I'm still waiting for the demo to see if it's worth it. Despite Yatzhee giving it the thumbs up,I still like to see games in action for myself before considering a purchase.

now I really do hope my PC can handle Bastion, hopefully there be a demo when the steam version comes out next week

I do not have videogame SUPER SIZE ME issues.

Hmm... I do love story in games, but I do not have any interest in this Diablo sort of gameplay.
I might have to try it out at some point.

The other one I have no interest in but...
I love the Yahtzee magic glowing snake. So cute!
I want one!

Alphakirby:

Sonicron:

I'm still waiting for the demo to see if it's worth it. Despite Yatzhee giving it the thumbs up,I still like to see games in action for myself before considering a purchase.

Already played the XBLA trial version a few days ago, I'm sold. I'm simply waiting for the PC version because I suspect the action will be easier to control with a mouse - as with pretty much every god game.

From what Yahtzee said I'm now imagining the narrator from Bastion with a voice that sounds like a cross between Morgan Freeman and Barry White.

[double post]

Oops.
I blame the site, it was running slow and weird and gave me an error message.

To make this on topic, I like ZP. This one was not as funny as most but also the games did not really interest me this time. Not that there is usually a correlation with that.

okay okay I'll go get Bastion :D been interested for a while now but keep putting it off lol

Wait, I didn't know From Dust was by the same guy who made Out of this World.

Now I need to get this game.

Strife2GFAQs:
Catherine is the big ass elephant in the room. An elephant with huge tits and a drunken stupor, but don't turn this into the Borderlands thing. If he really does read these things, he probably knows of it by now.

The problem with Catherine is that its not been released in Australia or Europewhich would make it harder to import long with the fact that do you really expect it to get past the ratings bored there?

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive here, but does anyone notice that he is insulting America in all of his reviews to the point that it's basically becoming a running gag? I mean, I can take a joke and realize our shortcomings and failures, but it's getting a bit out of hand here. It's like he'll take any excuse he can to call America stupid, overly militaristic, or any other blanket insult he can come up with. "America changed the cover and title of a game, therefore they are stupid." Big whoop. I don't see how that has to do with the subject at hand, or will have any impact on the gameplay and story. Maybe I'm looking too into things and that's supposedly some inside joke that my "stupid American brain" isn't getting or missing his insults directed to other countries, but honestly I'm having a hard time believing it. If someone can let me know if I've overlooked something please tell me, because I do like Zero Punctuation very much even when it takes the piss out of games I enjoy.

That being said, good review nonetheless.

"I'M GOING THROUGH MASSIVE PSYCHO-SEXUAL FRUSTRATION BECAUSE MAH COUNTRY IS IRRELEVANT!!!!"

Seriously, there are 300 million of us dirty, stinky Americans; I'm pretty goddam sure that the only people watching this show are Australians, perhaps the British, maybe some New Zealand-ers, and self-flagellating future expatriates.

vivalahelvig:
That was unexpected for him to critique 2 xbla games.
It was still good though.

He did that about a year ago too. Limbo and Deathspank. This is just a drought period for big titles.

sboss:
i was hoping for a catherine review. glad you liked bastion though.

How come no-one living in USA seem to grasp the concept that not all of the world is able to play a game once it's been released in USA? USA uses NTSC, Europe and Australia (the place where Yahtzee is right now) use mostly PAL and huge chunks of Africa and Asia uses SECAM.
Translated into simple terms. When a game is released in USA it is released in NTSC. Yahtzee a PAL user have to wait for the PAL release (more importantly the Australian release) before he can play it. If you are hoping for a review for a game that has not been released, and there's currently no plans to release then you do in other words hope he will review a game without playing it.

Great reviews. It wasn't that much of a surprise that he'd like From Dust, I myself think it's pretty good, but I haven't had the time to play Bastion yet, I guess I'll have to check it out. I do agree on the points about the NPC being really retarded when it comes to moving though. Just a drop of water there and they'll shout for help.

Oh man, I bet Yahtzee got paid for this.

With cashmoney.

I hope he shits all over El Shaddai next week. I hate the ads.

Great, thanks to his renaming The Bastion "Sebastian," now I'm going to be stuck saying "the" as "se," which will make me sound like Germany in the English dub of Hetalia.

In other news, I wasn't expecting him to like From Dust (though it looks intriguing to me), and I'd never heard of The Bastion, so this was doubly unexpected. I almost wish I still had my Xbox 360.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 51014)