Zero Punctuation: Bastion and From Dust

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Late December back in '63, what a very special time for me, sweet surrender, what a night!

;)

From Dust -- pretty excited for the PC port that's coming out in a week. Should be oodles better than the xbox controls.

Hmm sounds like I should pick up Bastion also, always love building games ._.

Heh, I'd take control of dirt as a power. My stuff would always be clean :)

There's this strange thing with me that every time I become a fan of something, especially when I discover it a while after it first started, the show starts losing it's touch and I start to lose interest. This happened to me with Freeman's Mind, Civil Protection, Dexter, Half-Life (I mean, this long without any kind of news of Episode Three? C'mon VALVe!) and others.

However, I am very thankful that, after all this time, when I first saw Yahtzee's YouTube videos and then I saw my first Escapist Zero Punctuation Review (Epic Mickey, back when it came out), I have not interest in this show and they have stayed great and brilliant! :D

Keep up the good work, Mr. Crowshaw!

A review where Yahtzee somewhat enjoyed TWO games? THE FORCES OF NATURE HAVE BEEN BROKEN, EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!

Uszi:
From Dust -- pretty excited for the PC port that's coming out in a week. Should be oodles better than the xbox controls.

Yeah while i was playing it for the Xbox all i could think the entire time was WOW I wish i had a mouse for this crap!

As someone named Sebastian, I found it rather distracting every time he said my name.

Otherwise, pretty good video, quite unusual for him to review two, even more unusual for him to actually like them. Already had From Dust pre-ordered, will have to see if there's a PC version of The Bastion. Sounds a bit like Project Nomads, but oodles better, so it should be pretty damn good.

An excellent review, had me cracking up at stogameprylay xD

In the description of yahtzee below the video why does it say he has a novel coming out soon? As mogworld has been out for a while >.> Unless he's making a new one :D In which case someone send me a link to any information about it.

WOOHOO! Double-feature episode, fuck yeah! I love Zero Punctuation :)

I'd grab From Dust on Steam if it didn't have the always-online Uplay DRM Ubisoft keeps pushing once again. It was a fiasco for Assassin's Creed II, Settlers 7 and Splinter Cell: Conviction, to the point they had to patch that crap a year after their releases.
[Sigh] Guess I'll grab it when it's on sale and when Ubisoft gets around to do some DRM-fixin'.

Okay the world just came to and end while I weren't watching... Yahtzee giving positive reviews for two games in One episode? Either two games just got sent in from a higher power (or alien) trying to see what would happen... or just one in a billion just happened...

I finished From Dust last night and Yahtzee speaks the truth about building villages near water or lava. Many tiny people died because the game wouldn't let me move the village to somewhere with a speck of water that I couldn't see.

That and the goddamn tsunami button.

ME: I wonder what this does?
*pushes button and nothing on happens on screen*
ME: ? *rotates camera* HOLYSHITTIDALWAVE D:

Oh good, the two games I am most anticipating the PC release of. And he mostly liked them! That works for me.

Video isn't working for me, keeps stopping at 27 seconds.

Zhukov:
Huh.

I think you might have just sold Bastion to me.

I was strongly put off by the trailer, but I've since seen some glowing reviews. Add to that the above string of compliments regarding the story from none other than Mr Croshaw and I'm quickly starting to think my initial impression is due for a revision.

Get it. It's amazing. The trailer really doesn't do it justice.

mechashiva77:
Perhaps I'm being too sensitive here, but does anyone notice that he is insulting America in all of his reviews to the point that it's basically becoming a running gag? I mean, I can take a joke and realize our shortcomings and failures, but it's getting a bit out of hand here. It's like he'll take any excuse he can to call America stupid, overly militaristic, or any other blanket insult he can come up with. "America changed the cover and title of a game, therefore they are stupid." Big whoop. I don't see how that has to do with the subject at hand, or will have any impact on the gameplay and story. Maybe I'm looking too into things and that's supposedly some inside joke that my "stupid American brain" isn't getting or missing his insults directed to other countries, but honestly I'm having a hard time believing it. If someone can let me know if I've overlooked something please tell me, because I do like Zero Punctuation very much even when it takes the piss out of games I enjoy.

Because Yahtzee is a Brit living in Australia, and so represents two primary-english-speaking countries. It's generally the European or (sometimes) Asian countries that express their unhappiness with the USA's political decisions or past failures, but the English-speaking countries have sizable anti-american populations because of cultural pervasion, really. It's especially jarring to the English, who don't like having the global standard of their home tongue altered by a nation whose respective grasp of the language some of them believe inferior. And the Aussies just seem to want to be left alone. All this perpetuated by the American media who happily export to equally idiotic recieving outlets in countries that simply aren't as compatible with the US as those people think they are.

TL;DR: Your media are a load of imperialistic wankers who can't even do it properly, and that's all we ever see.

Two positive reviews in one episode? I need to sit down...

I was not ready for that.

2 indie games?

I hope Yahtzee doesn't become a hipster.

Cant watch review at work, have to wait till I get home, but glad to see the big guy liked From Dust, it validates my liking that game alot. May be one of the best XBLA purchases I've ever made, right up there with limbo/plants vs zombies.

Fangobra:

Because Yahtzee is a Brit living in Australia, and so represents two primary-english-speaking countries. It's generally the European or (sometimes) Asian countries that express their unhappiness with the USA's political decisions or past failures, but the English-speaking countries have sizable anti-american populations because of cultural pervasion, really. It's especially jarring to the English, who don't like having the global standard of their home tongue altered by a nation whose respective grasp of the language some of them believe inferior. And the Aussies just seem to want to be left alone. All this perpetuated by the American media who happily export to equally idiotic recieving outlets in countries that simply aren't as compatible with the US as those people think they are.

TL;DR: Your media are a load of imperialistic wankers who can't even do it properly, and that's all we ever see.

Yes, but understand that I don't want people think every American is an imperialistic wanker based on the media. It would be like me thinking every British is a snooty jerk, especially toward Americans.

That being said, there are still those who will believe whatever they see in the media regardless of the truth. (Not trying to direct that at you, sorry if I did)

I think I'm just as amazed as everyone else to see that Yahtzee reviewed two games and liked both of them. (Brb, checking the temperature of Hell)

Although, as a side note, there is one feature in Bastion that Yahtzee didn't mention that I feel he should have as he raised the point of "once you get all the upgrades you become Thor". While that is true, there is an optional form of a "difficulty" raiser in the game in order to compensate for this, especially on your second playthrough (which lets you keep your items/levels/upgrades). It is a building known as the Shrine I believe, with various idols inside of it that, when activated, will give enemies various advantages over you while giving you extra xp and currency.

For example, one allows enemies to regenerate health over time, another makes it so that killing enemies will not give you health potions, while another will give them a decent chance to deflect one of your attacks. I can't remember how many there were, but I want to stay something like 10 of them, each with a unique effect. You can activate as many as you want at the same time, and believe me even with all the upgrades if you switch on the majority of those idols things aren't going to be a cakewalk.

Other than the lack of a mention of that, great review, glad he liked Bastion and I'll consider getting From Dust too.

I find it unexpected that he actually liked both games (I guess XBLA is good then) & I hope he reviews Catherine next.

SirCannonFodder:
As someone named Sebastian, I found it rather distracting every time he said my name.

Otherwise, pretty good video, quite unusual for him to review two, even more unusual for him to actually like them. Already had From Dust pre-ordered, will have to see if there's a PC version of The Bastion. Sounds a bit like Project Nomads, but oodles better, so it should be pretty damn good.

I think the steam version is coming out around the 16th of August.

The game was an absolute blast on 360.

First single player only game where I was so quick to replay it. The New Game + feature in it is awesome and since you constantly gain new weapon until the end of the game it makes the New Game + playthrough rather interesting since you can equip anything from near the start and can build your Bastion in any order.

The Gameplay is tight and varied, Graphics are beautiful, voice work is top notch and doesn't get old, Story is interesting, not intrusive and finally the soundtrack is incredible.

http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/

I was pretty interested in ''From Dust''. Will probably get it...NOw to buy a computer fast enough to run it.

kebab4you:

its not even remotely a building game from what gather. Looks like an Action RPG.

I honestly thought he would compliment From Dust on it's graphics. I am no graphics whore myself, but that game took my breath away.

I'm starting to have really high expectations for Bastion, I hope I won't get dissapointed, I believe I won't.

I'm not that surprised that Yahtzee would like the narrator of The Bastion, especially when I overheard the joke when the main guy fell off.

"And then, he fell to his doom."

The main guy flies back into view and lands in a heap at the center of the map.

"Nah, Just kiddin"

Shit! I bet with a friend that the next ZP would be Bastion + Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. So close!

I really hope From dust is open for mods because people will go nuts over it, and I'll probably get both of these for PC.

I'm surprised people are replying to this saying they'd never heard of Bastion before when there was already a Bastion review on this very site. I guess some folks really do only visit for the ZP's.

Continuity:

kebab4you:

its not even remotely a building game from what gather. Looks like an Action RPG.

Aw, guess I should research before I speak <.< Anyway itīs an indie title so shouldn't be to expensive so will probably still pick it up when it comes later this month.

Fangobra:

mechashiva77:
Perhaps I'm being too sensitive here, but does anyone notice that he is insulting America in all of his reviews to the point that it's basically becoming a running gag? I mean, I can take a joke and realize our shortcomings and failures, but it's getting a bit out of hand here. It's like he'll take any excuse he can to call America stupid, overly militaristic, or any other blanket insult he can come up with. "America changed the cover and title of a game, therefore they are stupid." Big whoop. I don't see how that has to do with the subject at hand, or will have any impact on the gameplay and story. Maybe I'm looking too into things and that's supposedly some inside joke that my "stupid American brain" isn't getting or missing his insults directed to other countries, but honestly I'm having a hard time believing it. If someone can let me know if I've overlooked something please tell me, because I do like Zero Punctuation very much even when it takes the piss out of games I enjoy.

this constant, generally excepted nationalism has gotten way out of hand, it irritates me so much that after Yahtzee took that last quick jab at America I didn't even watch the rest of the video. I don't understand how it is that most people abhor racism, but practice nationalism which is generally the same thing. nevertheless I'm sick of it, as a folklorist I study culture, and although I knew this before college I can tell you now with even more certainty that people are just people no matter where you come from or what your culture is we are pretty much the same. I just wish others could see that.

Yopaz:

vivalahelvig:
That was unexpected for him to critique 2 xbla games.
It was still good though.

He did that about a year ago too. Limbo and Deathspank. This is just a drought period for big titles.

sboss:
i was hoping for a catherine review. glad you liked bastion though.

How come no-one living in USA seem to grasp the concept that not all of the world is able to play a game once it's been released in USA? USA uses NTSC, Europe and Australia (the place where Yahtzee is right now) use mostly PAL and huge chunks of Africa and Asia uses SECAM.
Translated into simple terms. When a game is released in USA it is released in NTSC. Yahtzee a PAL user have to wait for the PAL release (more importantly the Australian release) before he can play it. If you are hoping for a review for a game that has not been released, and there's currently no plans to release then you do in other words hope he will review a game without playing it.

Great reviews. It wasn't that much of a surprise that he'd like From Dust, I myself think it's pretty good, but I haven't had the time to play Bastion yet, I guess I'll have to check it out. I do agree on the points about the NPC being really retarded when it comes to moving though. Just a drop of water there and they'll shout for help.

How come there are so many people living outside of the US that speak in sweeping generalizations?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here