Escapist Podcast: 012: Mojang's Scrolls, Hats-for-Games & Battlefield 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

012: Mojang's Scrolls, Hats-for-Games & Battlefield 3

This week, we discuss Bethesda's claim against Mojang's Scrolls and Valve's Hats-for-Games system. We also talk about EA's announcements concerning Battlefield 3 and we answer some listener questions.

Watch Video

Also I stand a bit corrected, it looks like WoW hasn't lately been on top of the current best sellers PC market, at least according to Amazon.

The Elder Scrolls vs Scrolls: I think they might not demand that the name is changed, but to make sure Mojang's Scrolls isn't going to be used in the same way one-word trademarks can be used against longer trademarks with a partial same-name (Like Langdell's Edge being used to make claims about Mirror's Edge). Although I don't know if agreements like "you can use it but promiss to not use it against us" can be made. It might be that such a deal is tantamount to abandoning your trademark, in sunch a case law forces them to make harder demands.

Some people see the steps by Zenimax as similar to Langdell's. In actuality they might want to just prevent what Langdell tried to do to other companies from happening to themselves. Notch is not Landell, but Notch doesn't own the Scrolls trademark, his company Mojang does. He can sell the company and a future owner might try a Langdell. It's a better safe now than sorry later situation. With all the trademark and patent litigation taking place it's a sad reality.

Houdini is going to to take legal action on your asses.

You guys sound like you really want a privateer type or x-wing and so on. Have none of you even heard of X3? X2? They're even coming out with an X4. It's basically all that what you said, space combat (joystick support), small fighters, big cruisers and carriers, buying and selling and trading and so on. It's kind of a mix between privateer and a first-person&singleplayer EVE.

Go play it. (And get the mods, holy crap does x3 have a TONNE of mods.)

My problem with Origin:

For this to work well, EA NEED to get the PR bit of it right. They own the games, and without a physical case and shipping they save money on the Digital Distribution of the games. So why the fuck does it cost 10 more on Origin than on Game? EA need to have to use their ownership to their advantage and cut the prices as much as they can to keep it profitable and appealing at the same time. They can and should make it cheaper, easier, and simpler to get them from Origin. They OWN all of the preorder bonuses, limited editions, and games. Why for the Battlefield 3 preorder are only 3 of the 6 (not counting Back to Karkand) bonuses on Origin?

Scrolls reminds me of when Spike Lee tried to take action against a newly renamed Nashville Network (AKA Spike TV).

There is only one TF2 hat I would buy, Pyro's brain slug (and maybe Medic's Ghostbuster goggles).

As for "Lost gaming elements" I don't think immersive story telling is gone, I mean most of the examples mentioned were pretty recent. Although it is pretty noticable when it is used effectively.

I'm currently downloading Black Prophecy, which I've heard is pretty much a Eve online with more action and less business. I haven't played it yet but that seems to be a space flight sim.

Any case free beta going right now.

Also Jonathan Blow (guy who made Braid) is working on a game inspired by Myst called "The Witness". So not dead yet.

Okay guys, come on now; we've got to get beyond Thunderdome.

Susan, I had the exact same experience with Donnie Darko. There were some people in high school who hyped it up so much that every time somebody mentions the movie, I think of those people. All I can then think is "I don't want to watch that movie."

UNHchabo:
Susan, I had the exact same experience with Donnie Darko. There were some people in high school who hyped it up so much that every time somebody mentions the movie, I think of those people. All I can then think is "I don't want to watch that movie."

Aw, come on you two, it's got the guy from "Bubble Boy" :

I've got a treat for you guys, since you spoke of longing for space combat games. Give Black Prophecy a look, it's a fairly fun free to play MMO that just came out of beta, hell it even has support for joysticks and gamepads.

ManupBatman:
I'm currently downloading Black Prophecy, which I've heard is pretty much a Eve online with more action and less business. I haven't played it yet but that seems to be a space flight sim.

It's actually out of beta now, but still free to play, and it invokes a whole lot of nostalgia for X-Wing and Tie Fighter in me.

Thanks for the info about Black Prophecy. I'm off to try it now!

Michus:
The X series

I seccond this, the X series is (as far as I can tell) the only contender in this style of games, and oh gods is it big, slow and time consumeing yes, but a big emersive and liveing sandbox game.

For something a bit more fast paced, also check out Freelancer.

Long live ELITE and all its decendants in all their forms

What nerds should be watching: Spider-Man: The Animated Series on the Netflix Watch Instantly library.

One, Space sims still rock, shame there aren't very many (thread comments not withstanding)

Two, holly hell is Bastion's soundtrack good

Love the podcasts.

On space games - I know we're lacking Star Fox et al, but I'd expand it even further to some of those old apple games that were more in depth with space travel. There was one called Omega or something, similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic games of today.

And after Crysis 2 failed to meet my expectations EA is in the doghouse until Mirror's Edge 2, or maybe a sequel to Bulletstorm. Though I already had Origin due to that free ME2 gimmick they pulled with DA2.

Dunno I think the "scrolls" thing got lighter. Still Notch made a really funny tweet that he'll change the setting of Scrolls to sci-fi and call it The Eldar Scrolls. Hmm no copyright infringement there :)

Thunderdome...Thunderdooommme...

...nope, the closest thing I can think of is Thunder Cats.

Your review on Bastion made me pre-order it on Steam... After doing so, I though "Why the hell did I pre-order a digitally distributed game!?". Credit to the game and your review I guess.

I honestly don't pre-order anything so this was rather special

I think old people should sue Bethesda for use of the word 'elder'... Or Notch should change the name of his game to "Old Rolled Up Parchment/Manuscript"

Finally, something to comment on that's light in tone! Feeling better already.

Endocrom:
Scrolls reminds me of when Spike Lee tried to take action against a newly renamed Nashville Network (AKA Spike TV).

It was honestly called 'Nashville Network'? Although, I'm in Canada so chances are they changed the name before it crossed the border.

The first time I heard of Spike TV, it was airing the cartoon show "Stripperella" starring Pamela Anderson...I was 16, of coarse I loved it!. Been quite a while since then, now it's basically UFC, 1000 ways to die and CSI reruns, not nearly as diverse as it used to be, but I guess it pays their bills.

Lunafox:

Michus:
The X series

I seccond this, the X series is (as far as I can tell) the only contender in this style of games, and oh gods is it big, slow and time consumeing yes, but a big emersive and liveing sandbox game.

Not to mention it's so pretty.

But it's very hard to get into. The devs have promised to remedy that in the sequel, though.

Ah, DRM and all those accounts. I remember the day my impoverished self finally scraped up enough to buy Half-Life, which had just been re(?)-released. I looked at the box and saw this warning that I needed Steam. So I looked into what Steam was, I didn't like what I saw, and said "Fine. Valve can go to hell." I didn't buy it. Valve helped me realize that I have so many ways to kill an hour enjoyably that I've no reason to pay sixty bucks to do it on someone else's terms. I'll die long before I get done everything I want to get done, why make it harder for myself?

So when I say Diablo 3's always-on connection crap or Battlefield's Origin can go die in a fire? I mean it from the bottom of my heart. I won't buy something like that.

(Gods, I am the smuggest prick in the room right now.)

-Dragmire-:
It was honestly called 'Nashville Network'? Although, I'm in Canada so chances are they changed the name before it crossed the border.

No, it was up here, even in the boonies, before then.

The Nashville Network used to be... well, TNN and CMT were like the country cousins of MTV and MTV2 (back when MTV2 showed videos). One was the music video network, one was the "music-ish programming" network.

The Nashville Network became The National Network (same letters, sorta like AMC or TLC did) and it got less country. Then they had a big push where people phoned in and said what they thought of the shows, and it was played over the closing credits. I noticed that the old Nashville stuff like The Real McCoys tended to have highly critical stuff at the end. Because after I watch a show I like I want to hear some mouth breathing retard saying "THIS SHOW IS DUMB!"

Then SpikeTV was unveiled and the transition was complete, from folksy network to... something I paid even less attention to.

What no love for Quatermass?

"Half in the bag", is good at scraping a little deeper than MovieBob has time to do and being highly entertaining at the same time. (One may want to start from the beginning and follow the continuity, though - even beginning with the mammoth Starwars prequel dissections. :9 )

http://redlettermedia.com/

these podcasts always seem to freeze on me..... they just stop and I cant restart them or anything

I love the Myst series. It's been the first game I got as a child. No way I was able to solve those puzzles at that age, but the amosphere just was amazing. I still go back once every year to play hem all.

I love the Myst series. It's been the first game I got as a child. No way I was able to solve those puzzles at that age, but the amosphere just was amazing. I still go back once every year to play hem all.

Fl0yd:

Any chance we ever see you over at Myst online (URU)? :)

UNHchabo:

Same with my school. It was chosen out over other movies to watch during sub days. I just never liked it. I spoke of my disgust of it and someone said so you don't like it because its popular. My response was NO I don't like it because I don't like it.

Formica Archonis:
Ah, DRM and all those accounts. I remember the day my impoverished self finally scraped up enough to buy Half-Life, which had just been re(?)-released. I looked at the box and saw this warning that I needed Steam. So I looked into what Steam was, I didn't like what I saw, and said "Fine. Valve can go to hell." I didn't buy it. Valve helped me realize that I have so many ways to kill an hour enjoyably that I've no reason to pay sixty bucks to do it on someone else's terms. I'll die long before I get done everything I want to get done, why make it harder for myself?

So when I say Diablo 3's always-on connection crap or Battlefield's Origin can go die in a fire? I mean it from the bottom of my heart. I won't buy something like that.

(Gods, I am the smuggest prick in the room right now.)

just that little bit smugger in my eyes for acknowledging your smugness and saying "gods"

So If I manage to trademark my First name, that gives me the right to defend my trademark against every other dude/dudete who happens to name their kid after my trademark! SUPERCOOL! Instant Saint!

By the way, Star Trek 1? It has to be the second worst Star Trek movie 'EVER' only worse than Star Trek 11, I mean jesus, they DO NOT, get cheesey, that is so insulting for you to even think that, seriously, watch them again, whoever the heck said that, such bad taste.

This podcast was awesome just for introducing me to those Red Letter Media reviews

When Susan says "We're doomed" near the beginning she sounded like Invader Zim. But I digress
Great podcast guys, really enjoy them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or