Zero Punctuation: Catherine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The reason a lot of game characters don't have spouses is probably because it wouldn't make the character accessible enough.

Good episode. The most review-y ZP I've seen in a long time. Not a pro or con - just pointing out.

Pallindromemordnillap:
If the game treats the male characters so badly isn't it misandristic (?) rather than misogynistic? Or is the game just overall misanthropic?

Mostly this. The point is that (minor spoiler) the whole thing is not "divine righteous punishment". There's a bit of a Freudian reason it's all going on.

One of the things that often comes out of Atlus games that I like is "just because the supernatural is more powerful and tough to understand, doesn't mean that they're incapable of doing something stupid for a stupid reason".

I mean how many games have you seen where the all-powerful god character has issues and doubts? Usually it's either "I'm the Big Good and I benevolently watch over you" or "I'm the Big Bad and will erase you for whatever reason".

So, if you haven't guessed, I really enjoyed Catherine despite its missteps in both gameplay and story. The message got through: relationships are ****ing complicated.

Also I'm a bit tired of the Q-Bert analogy. I mean it's one thing if Yahtzee does it, but *actual* reviews have done it, too, and all you have to do is play both games to realize that only on bare aesthetics are the games connected. The actual gameplay is completely different, which leads me to believe that said reviewers haven't played one or more of the two games in question.

Xman490:
Also, it's too bad that the purple region gives you the "Shit Ending", especially since I like purple. And yes, I like purple all the more because the Saints (from Saints Row III) have a purple logo.

Actually the middle is gray, and I certainly wouldn't call it "shit". The game is not just a two-way choice between C or K. There is a third option (and no, it's not "both").

Out of the eight endings, there are a couple that are "bad", and the only reason you get those is if you contradict between how you swing your karma meter and what you directly tell the game you want at a late point.

hmmm...i was just wondering....as my girlfriend really likes puzzle games and is very good at them- but only plays flash-games -
could this be the kind of game to get her interested in console-gaming?

on the other hand....do i really want her to get interested?
I know some people who got their console cock-blocked by their loved-ones once they got interested...

mmmmmmmmnnnnnnevermind...

nice review btw

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Catherine

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Catherine. Or is it Katherine? Yeah, that's not going to be confusing.

Watch Video

Not all anime is angst.

Only most of it.

You want something that doesn't drag one character dying over 7 seasons (I am looking at you Bleach) here is the hyper insane Panty and Stocking with Gilbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooA21BGBFLM

You will have no idea what is going on, but you also won't CARE.

NinjaDeathSlap:
I think Vincent may even surpass Kratos and Duke Nukem in his quest to become the most unlikable protagonist ever.

I liked kratos, hes a badass

Why does the free spirit girlfriend have to be depicted as a psychotic lunatic?(No pun intended...)

Seriously, I am one of the first people that I'd describe as a free spirit. But you don't see me murdering people.

I thought the concept was great, and until the story goes screwball it asks some interesting questions. Too bad it ends either "we all need to grow up" or "space demons with big tits". I did have a lot of fun.

Thank you Yahtzee! Once again you make my day by not only giving theblind fanboys who claim this game is good with a good helping of truth, but go forth to describe why SOOOOOOOO many Anime's are such god-awful crap.

Seriously Japan. Stop it. It ain't funny anymore

Blimey indeed O_O

HELL YA! He mentioned Judge Dredd. My life is now complete.

sephiroth1991:
I loved the laugh when describing players relationship status, Good review overall.

I'm with you, I chuckled along when he did it.

...Wait, so both of the main character's love interests are named Catherine, only with different first letters? Who thought that would be a good idea?

I honestly doubt the game's all that great, especially how it portrays both men [i]and[i] women...

Up until now it seemed like every other reviewer was completely oblivious to the frustrating reversal of the controls and the picky camera, now someones finally said what I was thinking! This is why Yahtzee's the only reviewer I trust. Also he's totally right about them limiting their audience, and not having much replay value. I don't know anyone IRL who'd be interested in this game...yet it's doing so well! Guess it's selling like crack in Japan...

EverythingIncredible:
Why does the free spirit girlfriend have to be depicted as a psychotic lunatic?(No pun intended...)

Seriously, I am one of the first people that I'd describe as a free spirit. But you don't see me murdering people.

I think it was part of the mystery as to what was going on. K shows some signs of being slightly unhinged *FORK-STAB* at some points of the game. It's meant to keep you guessing what's going on.

Alright, that was really funny. Also cemented this game in the "110% not for me" section, but I still got quite a few laughs.

Seriously though "All women are dykes" would make a...."great" t-shirt. At least I would buy one.

He liked the puzzles?

MIND.

BLOWN.

hehehe... All women are dykes...

Base humor, gotta love it.

Your right but I still loved this game. And how did you not mention the secret of Erica lol!? I was laughing so hard. And when you go back through the game they even lay hints the whole time that fly way over ur head.
Still, good video man

I forgot to say, I also liked Chun-Li tits on the Street Fighter the motion picture.

I actually really, really wanted to play this until I heard that nothing you do has any impact on the story progression until the very end. So it's basically like Atlus' Persona games where you can start a relationship with one of the characters, but they still treat you as platonic during cut-scenes, which was annoying but acceptable. EXCEPT THAT WAS A LAST-GEN GAME! There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of laziness this console generation.

Haha ahhh...Eva reference

I can't help but agree with Yahtzee. Gameplay was alright, or at least the dream sequence part was. Maybe a bit difficult, and an odd control ploy here or there, but it was an effective puzzle game when it needed to be, with a straight and laid out objective (get to the top), met with unique variables (blocks you can't move, ice blocks, etc.).

But yeah, Vincent was a tool and a half, and while I suppose there are people that could relate to him, I certainly couldn't, and I cringed just playing the demo, watching his insecure ass fuck up in the simplest aspects of relationships.

Could he not just confront his girlfriend about her frumpy nature, lightly and effectively, and find a balance point between stability and fun with her? Am I the only one who's ever told his girlfriend she's had a flaw, and is therefor human? I don't think so.

Besides, choosing Catherine over Katherine doesn't make much sense to me, because as frumpy as Katherine is, she does win in the aspect of not being fucking insane! And as such, can be reasoned with, as I mentioned.

And besides, what's the future with Catherine, anyways? Keep in mind, I've only played the demo and watched the Susan Arendt review, and this one. Even if I did get the game, I'd either stop playing out of the unfulfilled desire to bitchslap Vincent, or just play through doing the sensible thing and stay steady with Katherine, because I don't favour crazies.

Now Im interest what the game in which you must save party B from their virginity is, and how Yacee got to know it.

I like how he managed to slip his opinion on the persona games in there, now everyone knows he dislikes them and then can stop asking.

I happen to like the persona games, only played the demo a Cathrine so no opinion yet. One thing that does annoy me thou is everyone pointing out how it's a copy of Qbert like it's a bad thing, guess what games copy elements from each other, Infamous took the open city concept from Grand Theft Auto and a skill buying system from any brawler with a skill system I'll just say Devil May Cry, so why is it so terrible that this game takes core elements from a game play style that we haven't seen in almost thirty years, when every other game borrows elements from hundreds of different games that came out within a decade?

sephiroth1991:
I loved the laugh when describing players relationship status, Good review overall.

Considering this is Yahtzee "I'm not bad with women, I'm just not interested in sex" Croshaw, I'd say he's calling the kettle black a bit.

And the winner of the "out of context" award for this week: "All Women Are Dykes."

Good video, except it was so quiet I had the computer completely cranked to full volume and I still couldn't hear it over chewing a sandwich. I guess I'll have to go hungry next time.

Undeadpool:
There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of laziness this console generation.

Well, how many games actually have the story wildly vary due to early/mid-game decisions besides The Stanley Parable? If a writer is going to set up a narrative they want to tell, allowing the player to derail that part of the way through due to, let's face it, their own wanting to dick around kinda shatters that. It's the classic "linearity" vs. "non-linearity" thing. Non-linear gives more freedom and protagonist relation. Linear gives more narrative and cohesiveness.

Cavouku:
Besides, choosing Catherine over Katherine doesn't make much sense to me, because as frumpy as Katherine is, she does win in the aspect of not being fucking insane! And as such, can be reasoned with, as I mentioned.

And besides, what's the future with Catherine, anyways? Keep in mind, I've only played the demo and watched the Susan Arendt review, and this one. Even if I did get the game, I'd either stop playing out of the unfulfilled desire to bitchslap Vincent, or just play through doing the sensible thing and stay steady with Katherine, because I don't favour crazies.

Minor spoiler: Catherine's actually not insane. The trailers will focus on the weird things she does in the game, but you can actually sit down and chat with her at some points in the game and she seems, while a bit free and loopy, relatively on the level.

As to the future with Catherine, well, explaining it in detail would give a lot away, but let's say it's probably something you weren't expecting. o_O Regardless, Vincent does seem quite satisfied with his decision.

Sure someone else already caught this but onii-chan is spelled with two "i"s not 1 :3

Out over that I haven't played the game but from the looks of it, it doesn't look too impresive.

This was one of your better ones.

That segment about 'I've watched anime once' is pretty much spot on to my own sentiments about most of them. "I wouldn't mind, but he missed!" indeed.

And the ending metaphor is just...so wonderfully bad. Good job!

Macrobstar:

NinjaDeathSlap:
I think Vincent may even surpass Kratos and Duke Nukem in his quest to become the most unlikable protagonist ever.

I liked kratos, hes a badass

Really that the the only reason people like Kratos which is a really shallow reason. But then again Kratos is a really shallow character. Kratos is just a psychotic killer, made irritating by all his anger.

Really they should have at least made him more like Lad Russo (Baccano). He also is a shallow psychotic killer, but unlike Kratos Lad is a very upbeat charismatic guy Who takes a lot of joy in what he douse. It hard to hate Lad when it so much fun to watch him in his psychotic joy.

The main problem I had with this game was that they didn't establish Katherine as a character at all until you were fully decided on the chick with the big tits and that the "right" choice was dependent only on "morality" but it's a game so that's not very driving when I personally had no feelings for the girl who got no screen time at all

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here