Zero Punctuation: Catherine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Katherine frumpy? What, because her hair is brown and she wears glasses? She looks just as much like a model as Catherine does.

Strife2GFAQs:
Good, now we don't have to hear "REVIEW IT!" every week. I get the sense Yahtzee watches enough anime to get the idea, but still hate the tropes. Vincent was ineffectual. I bet you this could have been solved in five seconds with a flat "I had feelings for someone else." The game skirted this issue in a supremely ****** up way, extending the drama. I'll give Atlus this though: they know their audience. Stupid, insecure teenage or middle aged men who like seeing implied nudity...and butt monsters.

And you sure know how to cut a game short by about 20 hours while sounding like you have an amazingly...open...mind. Actually, nudity is a con for me, but I do like Shoji!

Cavouku:
I do agree, we could probably learn something from Vincent. I don't even think Catherine's a bad game or anything, and the characters, although somewhat archetypal, do at least seem fleshed out into close-enough-to-human.

It's just a niche game. Not a lot of people like playing a tool, but I think it's better that this game got made, and at least made with some dedication.

Though I do think the game could be significantly better with the addition of one scene that depicts one of Vincent's buddies slamming his head onto the table repeatedly, while carefully explaining to him why he's such a pussy.

I agree too with you. I'd just like to add that it's easier to see other peoples' mistakes than your own.

The part where he snorts about "your previous relationship experiences" has got to be my favorite paragraph so far of all the review's he's done. It was pure gold.

thepsychogamer:

Macrobstar:

NinjaDeathSlap:
I think Vincent may even surpass Kratos and Duke Nukem in his quest to become the most unlikable protagonist ever.

I liked kratos, hes a badass

Really that the the only reason people like Kratos which is a really shallow reason. But then again Kratos is a really shallow character. Kratos is just a psychotic killer, made irritating by all his anger.

Really they should have at least made him more like Lad Russo (Baccano). He also is a shallow psychotic killer, but unlike Kratos Lad is a very upbeat charismatic guy Who takes a lot of joy in what he douse. It hard to hate Lad when it so much fun to watch him in his psychotic joy.

Kratos is more for the raging teenagers who just want blood and nudity while being "cool". That said, there's a sad chance they'll see good ole' Ladd and think "I don't like him because his reason for killing isn't good~"

I am well versed on the irony behind that quote.

I haven't played the game, but Katherine is only frumpy if you're strictly speaking "drab" because she is clearly not "unattractive".

Brad Shepard:

Jamielordofgingers:
Ok, I caught most of the anime references, but I really want to know what show he's talking about with the guy who missed his one shot.

I thought it was Trigun.

What? what made you think that?

elbowlick:

Fangobra:
That's a simile, Yahtzee, not a metaphor.

No, it's a metaphor. Similes state that they're similiar, using terms like..."like". It was "like men are all directionless tidal waves" not "men are all like directional tidal waves".

Nooo... it is a simile, for the reason you just stated. It is comparing one state of affairs with another. It matters very little whether it's the situation or the subjects involved that are compared, what matters is that they are compared, and neither is stated actually to be the other. So it's a simile.

"like men are all directionless tidal waves"- That is what it is stated to be like, not what it is stated to be. Simile.

"men are all directionless tidal waves"- That is what it is stated to be(even though it isn't). Metaphor.

I will admit, however, that a simile is a type of metaphor, so the point itself may be rather moot.

Fronzel:
Katherine frumpy? What, because her hair is brown and she wears glasses? She looks just as much like a model as Catherine does.

This. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm amazed Yahtzee didn't take the time out for a bit of eye-rolling at that.

That was a well executed snort.

Hat off.

Fronzel:

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself...

itsausernamewhatofit:

Brad Shepard:

Jamielordofgingers:
Ok, I caught most of the anime references, but I really want to know what show he's talking about with the guy who missed his one shot.

I thought it was Trigun.

What? what made you think that?

Gun, mounds and mounds of exposition, stuff like that.

Seventh Actuality:

Fronzel:

This. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm amazed Yahtzee didn't take the time out for a bit of eye-rolling at that.

he never takes the time, he just tries to be funny.

Zulnam:
The part where he snorts about "your previous relationship experiences" has got to be my favorite paragraph so far of all the review's he's done. It was pure gold.

Not funny man, not funny :|

That Street Fighter anime was sweet. And yes, I'd say it's worth watching just for that ONE scene.
I can empathize with that last comment about the bitchy ones.

Kind of surprised by Yahtzee's commentary especially regarding the storyline. This has got be one of the most complex stories in a video game that I have ever experienced but he shrugged it off.

Great episode, I was laughing quite hard at the "experience from real relationships" bit, well played Yahtzee.

Coming from a guy who enjoys his anime, the part of the guy with the gun was hilarious.

I don't understand this... recurring theme where everybody in a videogame is a living example of some psychological quirk taken to its utmost extreme. This game seems to revel in it while trying to look ironic, as if to say "People aren't really just caricatures, are they? You're a real person with contrasting feelings and emotions, right? ARE YOU, really? Hm?"

It's hard to swallow the joke. Not because it brings feelings of inadequacy, but because it decides you, the player, are too shortsighted to see why relationships are a minefield.

I liked the game a lot just for the puzzles. It's funny that he didn't comment on atlus' obsession with transsexuals.

Which for some reason you only find out about at the end of the "good" ending.

Fronzel:

I'm fairly sure that's because you can't possibly have a main female lead in a video game that isn't at least a 7 out of ten, most likely more. That and I think frumpy is not her appearance it's her attitude.

"You need to get a (better possibly)job. We should get married. We should have kids and not have any fun anymore because it's what society expects of us, and it's what my mother wants.

Oh Wednesday is never a dull day thanks to yahtzee.

I lol'd my ass of to this one, more then others.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Siris:
Well, I loved the game, but I accept that someone might not like it. Well off you for importing the game, though

You know who actually do seem to act like sheep though? A lot of ZP fans

This is true. Everyone alive knows it. Talk about any game on here, and the rampant opinion will be "BEST GAME EVAR!" if Yahtzee liked it and "WORST GAME EVAR!" if Yahtzee despised it. Tragic really.

Have you considered that people who agree with Yahtzee post en masse because they feel vindicated in their choice and the people who disagree post less because they're too timid to go against the flow?

No? No, you're right, you're only allowed to have your own opinion if it's always different from whatever Yahtzee thinks. You remember that the next time he says anything you agree with.

NinjaDeathSlap:
I think Vincent may even surpass Kratos and Duke Nukem in his quest to become the most unlikable protagonist ever.

Implying Kratos and Duke Nukem are unlikable characters.

I agree with what he said. He seems to have the exact same opinion as I do with this game. That's a first...

Considering his (very appropriate) diagram of the niche market this game was made for, I was surprised that he didn't shred the game apart.

Hmm...as a fan of anime/j-rpgs, I admit I do realize that angst is a major component in some of these titles. One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out why Asians LUVA their angst.

With the Koreans, it's the Korean Dramas (some girl always has cancer, etc.)
Japanese --> Anime/rpgs
Chinese ---> Sob Story series. Crying women, raging/screaming guys. Some poor boy raising his sister, and then loses an arm, and then yadda yadda WHAT?!

OK I'm just throwing out random images that come to my head when said groups are brought up. But yeah, it's -so- true.

I'm Asian btw, so no "you racist!" k? :)

Now say it in a wobbly voice.

OT: Good episode. Also, are you sure that there wasn't also a lot of yelling along with the angst in that anime?

You thought this game was too hard? It's got an easy and super easy mode, not to mention continues that spawn after every check point (which basically means infinite lives), and a undo button.

Also, depending on what ending your going for (every scene dialogue base on meter system) he does end up explaining to Cathrine that he has a girlfriend, and it doesn't help (Cathrine is crazy).

This was one of the very few reviews that made me quickly shop around the internet for the best price and buy it all within 15 minutes of watching the review. Got me right at 0:57 with "Did I mention it's Japanese?"

Just out of sheer curiosity to see what the Japanese have come up with this time.

BEST METAPWHORE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ever!!!

Yahtzee Croshaw:
"[The karma system] is supposed to go all one way or all the other or you'll just get a shit ending otherwise."

Actually, that's not the case. In fact, you achieve arguably the best ending by keeping the karma meter in the middle. I decided to be 100% brutally honest in my playthrough to see what would happen and my meter just hovered around the middle throughout the game. The ending I got is called 'true freedom' and once I Youtubed the other endings I decided I'd hit the nail on the head first time already!! If you don't mind having one of the 8 endings spoiled, then check out the true freedom ending on Youtube... I think you'll agree it's the best outcome for Vincent.

You got me laughing yahtzee, thanks.

werewolfsfury:
actually at one point Vincent does get enough courage to talk to Catherine about Katherine and... it doesn't end well.

Poor Vincent. Try to be honest, to discuss the issues at hand, bad monkey.

Great, hilarious review. I really look forward to playing the game. Although Vincent really does kinda strike me as a tool.

Kermi:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Siris:
Well, I loved the game, but I accept that someone might not like it. Well off you for importing the game, though

You know who actually do seem to act like sheep though? A lot of ZP fans

This is true. Everyone alive knows it. Talk about any game on here, and the rampant opinion will be "BEST GAME EVAR!" if Yahtzee liked it and "WORST GAME EVAR!" if Yahtzee despised it. Tragic really.

Have you considered that people who agree with Yahtzee post en masse because they feel vindicated in their choice and the people who disagree post less because they're too timid to go against the flow?

No? No, you're right, you're only allowed to have your own opinion if it's always different from whatever Yahtzee thinks. You remember that the next time he says anything you agree with.

Angry much? I never said anything like that. But more often than not, whenever discussion of games comes up, I see a great deal of people post Yahtzee's opinion like its the direct judgment of God.

I agree with Yahtzee sometimes, doesn't mean I'm gonna hate the game because he does. I disagree sometimes, but it doesn't mean I love that particular game. A good example is Shadow of the Colossus. I agree with him that it is a good game. But I don't like it. Never really like puzzle games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here