Trailers: Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Trailer

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Trailer

Storm the beaches in a walking tank in Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor.

Watch Video

Well, I was hyped until I heard "Only for Kinect...". Well, damn it I would rather buy a reissue of the huge controller unit then fiddle with finicky motion controls.

Uhh.....what?

So because a single microbe, suddenly everyone is back to WWII equipment, but with giant walking tanks? Even the uniforms get retro-dated? What about all the computers that the microbe couldn't possibly have affected? Wouldn't we have just found a substitute for silicone? Or killed the microbe?

I know its a Steel Battalion game...but....really?

I love mechs. But only for Kinect? PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH! Never gonna happen!

On a sidenote, if my side had friggin Battlemechs I'd be realllllly pissed if they sent me out on a beach with just a rifle. :P

Ok, I can kind of buy the technological decay and the invasion of the U.S. but for the love of god, I could almost see the stains from the bleeding hearts. You kind of expect FPS titles to have an undercurrent of bleeding heart heroism but that trailer was so serious it was nearly comic. Then it proudly proclaims "only on Kinect." Well to that I say 'no'.

That looked...bad, even for a work in progress.

Everything about the mechs is just...bad, it's center of gravity looks completely off and it's animations are just plain awful. And then the words "Only for Kinect" pop up and I lost the little interest that I had even after the awfully over-the-top heroism bullshit.

There is one reason anyone remembers the first game.

One.

otakon17:
Well, I was hyped until I heard "Only for Kinect...". Well, damn it I would rather buy a reissue of the huge controller unit then fiddle with finicky motion controls.

That kinect message left me feeling exactly how that surviving soldier must have felt when the enemy popped open the top and shot down at him.

"Fuck"

While I don't have an Xbox (and don't plan to get one any time soon) I was actually interested in this game. Steel Battalion 1 was the coolest game EVER with a massive controller and a war with futuristic battle mechs.

Now it's an alternate reality WWII game with the futuristic mechs replaced by walking tanks (how does that make sense without computers? Talk about needlessly complicated), and the awesome controller that makes you feel like you're actually piloting a giant robot replaced by hand waving motion controls. Also it looks like it needs a lot of work graphically.

What I want to see is a video of someone playing it. How do you control the thing without buttons? That the most analogue console game EVER has been turned into a motion game is just odd.

The worst thing is this: Ok you have a motion controlled mech game. My mind leaps to some cool holographic interface where you can control weapons with your hands, and your every move is translated to the machine like in that scene in "Lost in Space". A game with analogue WWII style machines is FAR more suited to a massive controller with buttons and switches on it than even the first game.

I can't believe a game I have no interest in buying on a system I don't own can piss me off so much.

thenumberthirteen:

The worst thing is this: Ok you have a motion controlled mech game. My mind leaps to some cool holographic interface where you can control weapons with your hands, and your every move is translated to the machine like in that scene in "Lost in Space". A game with analogue WWII style machines is FAR more suited to a massive controller with buttons and switches on it than even the first game.

I can't believe a game I have no interest in buying on a system I don't own can piss me off so much.

My god could you imagine how badass that controller would have looked with this kind of WWII vibe to it? You could put all kinds of old knobs and dials on it and make it look like the control panel out of an WWII Sherman tank.

Instead of LCD readouts you get speedometers and pressure gauges like on the older vehicles, maybe even a stick shift thrown in for good measure... make it look like it was riveted and welded together, and then scratch it up a bit and put in a couple of dings and a key start ignition...

And all the sudden I want to cry as what could've been the most badass game of all time is now reduced to nothing more than a pitiful kinect title that forgot everything that made the original game awesome...

Something tells me that the storyline in that game will turn numerous people off. I mean, it's somewhat understandable when Americans go all "Woo, we da best" over WWII. But a USA vs. THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD? Yeah, no thanks.

Can America please be the villian in a game sometime? Come on guys, JUST FOR ONCE.

"Only for Kinect"

... Do they make that voice annoying on purpose? Oh well, another sequel I can write off as lame.

Sebenko:
There is one reason anyone remembers the first game.

One.

That awesome controller isn't enough? The damn thing even had a self-destruct button under a plastic cover. I'll be honest though that I never played the original Steel Battalion, but damn it I would if I could.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here