Trailers: Soul Calibur V - Gamescom Trailer

Soul Calibur V - Gamescom Trailer

Those who live by the sword slice the crap out of those who don't.

Watch Video

Couldn't be happier with hos this is turning out.

The focus is back on gameplay (Soul Calibur 2 SBO champion is on the lead of development)
Fan favorites are coming back, 50 percent old 50 percent new, and I like the people they've picked to return (for those who are worried, Nightmare has already been confirmed)
It fills in a whole that Rival Schools has left open for 3D fighting games since Capcom got out of the fighter market some years back.

Honestly the only thing to worry about now is guest charecters.
Welcome back Soul Calibur, I've missed you since 2.

I don't know. I just can't get that excited about this game. I'm not really digging the cast they've revealed so farm both new and old, and the gameplay just doesn't really look like it's advanced at all. It's just SC4 again but with EX moves and super moves. And, speaking of the supers, even with just a few teaser videos and the short EVO gameplay demo, they're already becoming very redundant and obnoxious... and the game isn't even out yet.

I'm all for advancements, but in this case I have to say "give me back my SC2 level of balance and great memorable characters with non butchered move lists."

StriderShinryu:
but in this case I have to say "give me back my SC2 level of balance and great memorable characters with non butchered move lists."

Then why AREN'T you excited for this game? Despite its high sales, the entire Soul Calibur IV team was "reevaluated" (many fired) due to the extremely poor reception and quality of the game.

Also the game plays nothing like IV. Many of the horrible battle systems that 4 have were removed quite some time ago.
The series is also moving to increase the long range game, something that Namco/Sega has always neglected and no one has explored since Rival Schools/Power Stone.

Hitman Dread:

Fan favorites are coming back, 50 percent old 50 percent new, and I like the people they've picked to return

Eh. I dunno about "fan favorites". I'm happy for the people who's characters are returning. My two mains however, Taki and Cassandra appear to be getting the boot. I don't have any personal problems with Natsu, I really care more about the style and it's availability, in fact if she comes with some upgrades that take Taki out out of the crap tier she's been in since losing EXC I'll be pretty happy. As for Cass on the other hand... I don't know about the likelihood that we'll see another sword and board user and neither pyhraa nor pat seems to reflect her style. That kind of leaves a void for me if Natsu remains the same high-risk, low reward character that Taki was. We'll have to see what shakes out.

StriderShinryu:
I don't know. I just can't get that excited about this game.

You can't go back to the past unfortunately.

I see hardly any difference from Soul Calibur 2, to be honest.

Hitman Dread:

StriderShinryu:
but in this case I have to say "give me back my SC2 level of balance and great memorable characters with non butchered move lists."

Then why AREN'T you excited for this game? Despite its high sales, the entire Soul Calibur IV team was "reevaluated" (many fired) due to the extremely poor reception and quality of the game.

Also the game plays nothing like IV. Many of the horrible battle systems that 4 have were removed quite some time ago.
The series is also moving to increase the long range game, something that Namco/Sega has always neglected and no one has explored since Rival Schools/Power Stone.

Why am I not excited? That's a fair question and I think the only answer I have is simple but twofold.

First, I haven't played it and from what I've seen it doesn't look any different or better than SC4 in terms of the gameplay. While I know the good stuff like lengthy varied movelists and combat engines aren't sexy in trailers, the additions they have actually seem to be straying even further from what I originally fell in love with way back in Soul Edge.

Second, despite the staffing changes made to the development team, the last two games in the series were SC3 and SC4, both of which ended up being somewhat "meh" inducing quickly forgotten titles. One game may be an aberation, two is the start of a trend and, once again, nothing shown has really said to me that they're truly backing away from the road they've headed down.

Ghengis John:

StriderShinryu:
I don't know. I just can't get that excited about this game.

You can't go back to the past unfortunately.

That is quite true. I don't really want to go back but I just suppose I feel that the Soul series started out so brilliantly and ended up going the wrong way starting with SC3. I can somewhat cope with series that have stagnated and offer up the same thing every edition even if I wouldn't say I'm happy with it, but wasted potential is much harder to swallow.

Im still not convinced im not watching just a SC 4 mod trailer or something.

I love how Ivy's breasts have been steadily growing in size through each iteration of the game... More to the point, this doesn't look particularly different from SC 4, but for some reason I'm actually considering buying it. I'm blaming Ivy's breasts.

Don Reba:

hahaha.

on that basis, whats the difference between Street Fighter 1 and Street Fighter 4?
Whats the difference between Tekken 2 and Tekken 5?
DOA1 and DOA4?

thats right.
Graphics and Gimmicks.

For soulcalibur specifically, 2 does not have character creation, critical finish, critical edge, brave edge, critical guard, has lesser graphics. (not that said criticals and edges dont have an effect on gameplay... i cant really just call them gimmicks)
Beyond that, the only changes are new characters and changes to old characters, and that is the same for all figthers.

Sightless Wisdom:
I love how Ivy's breasts have been steadily growing in size through each iteration of the game... More to the point, this doesn't look particularly different from SC 4, but for some reason I'm actually considering buying it. I'm blaming Ivy's breasts.

Of course it looks like Soulcalibur 4, the graphics havent changed. look beyond that.

garjian:

Don Reba:

hahaha.

on that basis, whats the difference between Street Fighter 1 and Street Fighter 4?
Whats the difference between Tekken 2 and Tekken 5?
DOA1 and DOA4?

thats right.
Graphics and Gimmicks.

It is the graphics, where I don't see much of a difference. SC2 was gorgeous on the Dreamcast, but the series does not seem to have benefited much from better hardware.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to make a Pokemon fighter game. It might spice up the franchise a bit. I'm not pick, hack'n'slash RPG might be better.

For thoes complaining about lack of innervation, it's a Fighting game. There is little to do between titles except progress the story, edit the character roster and sort out balance issues (and inadvertingly add new ones). If you like SC you'll probably love this game, if you don't, you don't. Don't go preaching your disappointed opinion about the shallowness of the game.

IS it just me or does anyone else want the characters talking in their native language not fricken lame-ass english. Get the korean guy smack talking in korea, the french in french, etcetera. What's the point of putting this multi-ethic cast of characters with no weight behind them. Just a bunch of dumb North American voice actors or what not.

Did Ivy actually put more clothes on for this game? I don't think any fighting game has done such a bold move.

scw55:
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to make a Pokemon fighter game. It might spice up the franchise a bit. I'm not pick, hack'n'slash RPG might be better.

If my memory isn't completely shot I'd say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon would fit that bill.

Also: Ivy's actually wearing clothes! What. The. Frak.

Akalabeth:
IS it just me or does anyone else want the characters talking in their native language not fricken lame-ass english. Get the korean guy smack talking in korea, the french in french, etcetera. What's the point of putting this multi-ethic cast of characters with no weight behind them. Just a bunch of dumb North American voice actors or what not.

Yeah, atleast get voice actors from the different languages to do the english if you can't.

Poo... I was hoping for something akin to SF3 - a mostly new cast of characters and only a handful of returning ones.

Eh, I'll remain optimistic. Can't wait to see how my man Siegfried plays, I hope he gets his mobility back from SC2.

Is the price of justice... being smashed with a shield?
That's a bit steep.

"but those who are born under the sword..."

then it says they will fight untill one is left, SO THEY DIE BY THE SWORD ANYWAY!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here