No Right Answer: Bioshock's Rapture vs Fallout's Vaults

Pages PREV 1 2

you guys are funny, if i go to the usa one day can i sleep on your couch?

Now that I think of it, I can't wait for the 'pepsi vs coke' NRA episode. I also remembered that the radroach thing from Fallout 3 only happened because they had actually opened the door quite a few times before. Also, I think I'd like to grow up in the vault in New Vegas, Vault 22 I think it is, where all arguments are decided by chance.

Vaults for sure. I loved the settings in Fallout 3, the tutorials in the vault was cool, and the birthday party was awesome. Out to the wasteland is not too bad either, I could go to New Vegas to gamble, just need to get a fake passport. What's not to like.

Last time I checked Fallout 3 was not the only Fallout game...

Last time I checked Fallout 1 and 2 featured vaults...

If you're going to have a debate about something, do a little research first.

Curiously, each week I seem to find myself rooting for Kyle. Funny that it keeps working out that way.
But yeah, I'll take Vault-Tec over Ryan Industries any day of the week.

Kapol:
Also, I think I'd like to grow up in the vault in New Vegas, Vault 22 I think it is, where all arguments are decided by chance.

'Twas Vault 21.

OT: I find myself rooting for Kyle most of the time, really; it doesn't matter if you're in a social experiment, I still think it'd be awesome.

Azure-Supernova:

leviadragon99:
Still, I'd preffer the russian roulette of potentially getting a horrible vault to the certainty playground bullies hiding behind objectivism would be screwing my over all throughout childhood.

It's more like reverse Russian Roulette. There's a six shooter with five loaded cylinders and one empty one.

Still, a one in six chance is better than nothing...

Thunder is the SOUND lightning makes.

At least in the Vaults there was the illusion of safety (unless, by extreme off-chance, there actually was). I'd rather grow up thinking that life was good and okay, instead of being frightened and depressed by chaos the whole time. And the world you enter after leaving isn't actually too bad - if you live quietly in a colony somewhere.

And, with the vaults, there is still the probability of actual safety. Although most of the time Vault-Tec substituted it for science - hence, my avatar. :D

CrystalShadow:
Lol. That last line...

Was that just a coincidence, or has someone heard this?:

Heheh, there's no way in hell he didn't already know about that book's existence. He EPIC-wins for referencing it.

Kapol:
So it's a six shooter with seven cylinders? MADNESS!

Did someone say six shooter with seven cylinders???

I was going to say Fallout's vaults, but that's only true for a handful of them where things went relatively well. Many of them were completely fucked up social, scientific or frankly ridiculous experiments on letting shit hit the fan. Then again, the entirety of Rapture is that way, so I guess I'll go with vaults after all. Plus, power armor rocks.

Azure-Supernova:
First time I've had to facepalm at Kyle's answer since the series started. You are never safe in the vaults, unless you happen to be in one of the 17 (is it 17?) Vaults that weren't used in social experiments.

I'll take my chances in Rapture. Obviously not everyone in Rapture lost their marbles and Jack managed to splice without going insane considering he shot himself up with everything!

Well Jack was a special case with being born as a test subject to kill Ryan...

If I could choose one of the big safe Vaults, then I would rather live there. How many children did we see in Rapture besides Little Sisters...

VanTesla:

Azure-Supernova:
First time I've had to facepalm at Kyle's answer since the series started. You are never safe in the vaults, unless you happen to be in one of the 17 (is it 17?) Vaults that weren't used in social experiments.

I'll take my chances in Rapture. Obviously not everyone in Rapture lost their marbles and Jack managed to splice without going insane considering he shot himself up with everything!

If I could choose one of the big safe Vaults, then I would rather live there. How many children did we see in Rapture besides Little Sisters...

I assumed that having grown up in 'safe' Rapture I'd be an adult by the time it turned into a nut house. And how many of the vaults did you come across where the inhabitants were either:

A. Dead
B. Insane

And if by some miracle you happened to not be in a vault that Raiders, the Master, Wastelanders, Ghouls, Mirelurks etc. invaded then you'd still be locked in an underground vault, possibly as a test subject, with no clear window of when you'd be leaving, what would be waiting for you or if you'd even survive out there.

Azure-Supernova:

VanTesla:

Azure-Supernova:

I assumed that having grown up in 'safe' Rapture I'd be an adult by the time it turned into a nut house. And how many of the vaults did you come across where the inhabitants were either:

A. Dead
B. Insane

And if by some miracle you happened to not be in a vault that Raiders, the Master, Wastelanders, Ghouls, Mirelurks etc. invaded then you'd still be locked in an underground vault, possibly as a test subject, with no clear window of when you'd be leaving, what would be waiting for you or if you'd even survive out there.

You have a point, but if we take that logic with how long the good Vaults lasted verse how long Rapture lasted, we see the first few generation of Vaulters will live just fine.

VanTesla:

Azure-Supernova:

VanTesla:

A. Dead
B. Insane

You have a point, but if we take that logic with how long the good Vaults lasted verse how long Rapture lasted, we see the first few generation of Vaulters will live just fine.

Touché good sir... touché.

Fallout. Powered armor beats Big daddy's any day (subdermal armor and extreme weapons to). You may have fireballs, but I've got a gauss rifle. Vault 13 was a control vault and though it did go wrong eventually it was fine. it got it's water chip. Vaults were also better armed than they let on; bastards wouldn't give out the good stuff. almost all of the vaults lasted over 100 years anyway. sure when we see them a couple centuries after the damned nuclear armageddon most of them are destroyed they weren't really supposed to be in use then anyway. the outside world is doing fine by the time of the games, and as such The Vaults Are Purposeless.
All of Rapture on the other hand descended into dystopia and chaos. it didn't even last one lifetime. if you were to grow up there you would be screwed. only if you moved there as an old one could you live out your life in peace. all who would grow up there would die horribly, and any that survived the spiral into anarchy would probably become excruciatingly mutated and utterly insane losing themselves to madness, any part of the mind maintaining rational thought being strained and stressed to the breaking point a horrible nightmare of unending fear.

were there not also government vaults outside the 122 public vaults, such as that which the Brotherhood came from?

Kyle did a very poor job on this one. Everything Dan said was easily counterable. For instance, once you're splicing, you can't leave just leave rapture. Splicers need a never-ending supply of Adam once they start and for most people making your own isn't going to happen. For that matter, how prepared for the outside world are you when you think that a tree is a monster? There's a lot that you lose growing up in rapture. That's reflected in the audio logs of parents who wonder if it's right to have brought their children to the city, or who have their children taken away from them. Hell, even the main character of the game is a kidnapee who had cruel experiments conducted on him. Great place to grow up, my ass. How many guys have grown up in a vault and gone on to save the world? I rest my case.

I saw what you did there at the end.

I'd still say a Vault is safer, though.

I think Rapture is the better place to grow up. The Vaults were cruel experiments. Well, most of them anyway.

ChupathingyX:
Last time I checked Fallout 3 was not the only Fallout game...

Last time I checked Fallout 1 and 2 featured vaults...

If you're going to have a debate about something, do a little research first.

Does it really matter?

What do you get out of complaining about this? They never said Fallout 3 was the only Fallout game.

VanTesla:

Azure-Supernova:

Jack wasn't born to kill Ryan was he?

Was he? I really don't know, I only played Bioshock once but I had no idea he was intentionally brainwashed to kill Ryan :S.

After giving up on this series after the first episode was painful to watch, I was drawn back by the premise of a succinct argument of the comparative merits of libertarian objectivism contrasted against an authoritarian commune. With key points being the monetary system, whether your fellow man is looking after you, which would be kinder to children.

But no, the argument came down to "I'm shooting bees out of my hands".

Disappointed, though not necessarily surprised.

Rapture, for being an attempt at utopia that fails from the inside
whereas the post-apocalyptic outside of the vault is caused by an outside agent (nuclear war)

SillyBear:

VanTesla:

Azure-Supernova:

Jack wasn't born to kill Ryan was he?

Was he? I really don't know, I only played Bioshock once but I had no idea he was intentionally brainwashed to kill Ryan :S.

actually, "Bioshock:Rapture" (the novel) shows that Jack was Fontaine's secret mean of gaining control over all of Rapture

Good use of book referaces.

Azuaron:

CrystalShadow:
Lol. That last line...

It's so much better when read by Samuel L. Jackson.

While I can imagine him reading it, and it would be pretty great, this version scores major irony points.

You see, Noni Hazlehurst has been one of the hosts of Play School in Australia for at least 20 years now.

So... She routinely reads story books to young children...

Somehow though, I don't think this one would go down too well if she used in on Play School. XD

I didn't like this debate... this was a lot less civil and more of a pissing contest. Anyway, the best place to "grow up" would be GTA San Andreas. Loose morals, looser women, and even looser-er moral restraint. Try growing up in that place and you will be one Hellacious SOB.

Azuaron:

CrystalShadow:
Lol. That last line...

It's so much better when read by Samuel L. Jackson.

Except that Noni Haelhurst is one of the most respected and well-known Australian children's TV presenters..which then makes it hilarious haha.

OT. This seems like a very childish version of Cracked.com's After Hours

I'd go with the vaults yes it's true most were a " social experiment " but at least when my fellow vault dwellers went insane they DIDN'T have powers to use with their weapons.

Wouldn't Skyrim be the best place to grow up because as a child you'd be immortal?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here