Escape to the Movies: Fright Night

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Fright Night

One vampire, no sparkling, great summer movie.

Watch Video

I had hoped it for full Conan this week, but I guess the awful will be enough. =p

I was hoping for a Conan review this week, too... But thanks to this video, you reminded me that I actually heard about the original Fright Night, via Cinemassacre's Monster Madness:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/19/fright-night/

I was actually interested in another vampire movie, aside from Daybreakers, that actually plays by the rules instead of turning them into angsty teen dramas.

looking forward to seeing this tonight

Huh. From the commercials I thought it was going to be a cheesy, bad self-parody of vampire and horror movies in general. You're review didn't prove that WRONG, per se, but if you say it's good then it's at least worth a shot.

Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.

As for fright night, seen bits o the original and will probably give this one a go, even if only to show some of my twilight loving friends what real vampires are like.

dangit, I really wanted him to rip Conan a new one. That movie is AWFUL; Robert E. Howard is probably doing cartwheels in his grave.

Anyway, Dave Tennant alone made me interested in this.

Yeah I was expectign full Conan. Fright Nigth could have just a been a quick nod.

Especially if you just say its an awful piece of sh-. Dont get me wrong, your dead on most of the time, but Conan looked good from the bits I saw. Would be nice for a tiny bit of explanation with that kind of hate.

low blow to the american pie cast.
I'm just glad we aren't getting another american pie presents film...
Book of love was such a piece of crap movie.

I had heard about The Help's "problem" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but it was not really explained. Now I know. <_> That's kinda bad....

:) Thanks Bob.

<_> Oh, sorry about Conan. At least we still have the original, right?

Still going to go see Conan, but hey, maybe I'll make it a double-feature with FN. I enjoyed the first one, and while I have a devestating Colin Farrell allergy, I suppose I can endure him if he actually acted (c whut I did thar?) like he gave a shit about what he was doing.

The real question is, "is it safe for me to bring me wife to see a movie with a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant" ;)

Actually if we have the opportunity for a movie we'd probably go see [i]The Guard[i], but it doesn't look like we'll have much movie time for the foreseeable future.

I can understand the bashing on the Blind Side, it wasn't all that good, and there was literally zero conflict when you got right down to it. But The Help is actually really good from what I've seen of it (I work at a theater so I've watched about 40 minutes of it in total, but from what I've heard its consistent).

I remember the original Fright Night, I caught it on TV a few years ago. It was really good actually, and it's nice to hear that the remake managed to deliver aswell.

Great review! Can't wait to see this.

I never had any hope for the new Conan to begin with, yet I'm still sad...

Ah, well. At least I can go and see Fright Night tonight. Sucks that Peter Vincent's introduction doesn't go well, but at least I'll have David Tennant's shirtless scene awesomely hammy acting to distract me.

Okay, I was not the only male here thinking that.

how have i not heard about film until now it sounds just like something i would love

Wow I got the wrong impression form commercials of Fright Night. I thought it was going to be some sort of "modern screw traditional vampires and Twilight" kind of movie if you get what I'm saying.

Glad to hear its not what I thought and even better thats its actually good.

Hm... I was hoping for a 30 minutes or less review, but this has made me all the more interested in Fright Night. Now I'm thinking that it may be worth a look.

Armored Prayer:
Wow I got the wrong impression form commercials of Fright Night. I thought it was going to be some sort of "modern screw traditional vampires and Twilight" kind of movie if you get what I'm saying.

Glad to hear its not what I thought and even better thats its actually good.

It's 'screw modern sparkly vampires, our traditional vampires are fucking monsters' more or less.

Look at it from the vampires perspective. Do you feel guilty when you eat a cheeseburger? These people are your food.

Mmm this certainly suprise me since I wasn' impress with it from the trailer (I sort of remember the original film).

Also what the hell? Another American Pie film???

Togs:
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.

Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".

I wasn't a fan of the original Conan movies to begin with, but my recent spike of interest in the franchise began with Age of Conan and I was kinda/sorta looking forward to this film. It's sad that it turned out to be "awful".

As for Fright Night, it sounds surprisingly interesting and it looks like fun.

Glad to hear this is an alright movie. I was probably going to go see anyway because there are far too few big movie roles for David Tennant and his aura of geek awesomeness. And finally another modern vamp movie that plays by old school rules

My friend made me watch the original a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was great. Looking forward to this one.

Kind of disappointed about Conan though. I was sure the new one would suck but some of Jason Momoa's interviews made me a bit hopeful. It sucks that decent sword & sorcery films are so rare these days.

Its David Tennant playing Nic Cage playing a Vampire Hunter.

What could possibly go wrong?

Imp Emissary:
I had heard about The Help's "problem" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but it was not really explained. Now I know. <_> That's kinda bad....

Jon Oliver's "White people are amazing" line from the other night just killed me.

Hmm.. I was planning to see a movie this week and it was originally going to be Conan. I believe my mind has been changed. This actually sound pretty good, and I've always been a fan of Colin Farrell.

Susan Arendt:

Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".

Meh they would have been tolerable had it not been for the wooden meathead they got in to play Conan.

Loved the original.

The one thing I don't love is that a lot of stuff you link via Twitter gets worked into the show. Instead of getting more Bob every week I kinda feel like I am just wasting my time hearing the same things twice. :S

I forgot all about Fright Night. Sounds better than I expected after seeing the trailers.

But then Bob also claimed Daybreakers - that shitty and now thankfully forgotten vampire flick from 2009 - was the new Dracula.

Boycott Movie Bob, reason: Not enought praise for Tennant and making him sound like a third wheel. I honestly had no idea who Colin Farrell is, though I did think of Will Ferrell.

Also, about the "what's best in life": hurrrgh, so bad. Though I guess I have to be impressed by a bull-man talking.

Also, about the new Fright Night. Great, demonizing male sexuality... that's new, almost as new as demonizing female sexuality. Can we please get over genitalia and sex sometime in the near future?

Also, I'm finished.

So, wait . . .
The Conan remake is worse than a film about how the civil rights movement was inspired a white college girl looking to prove something to herself?
I can't imagine something being that bad.

I liked your prologue helluva lot better than the actual show :D

I'm seriously considering watching Fright Night, and not because I'm a big Whovian.

Well, not only because I'm a big Whovian. I like vampires, too. Real ones.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here