Trailers: Armored Core V - Single Player Gameplay Video

Armored Core V - Single Player Gameplay Video

There's lots of stuff to destroy in Armored Core V's single player campaign.

Watch Video

Can some one tell me what the hell was going on in that gameplay?

The Lost Big Boss:

They're trying to give you a seizure

Glad to see they're keeping all of the worst parts of Armored Core 4, while also making the UI seizure-inducing and adding super-annoying, super-repetitive voices to the AC's AI.

genericusername64:

The Lost Big Boss:

They're trying to give you a seizure

Both right...
Seriously, I looooove battlemechs, but what the heck is this?

Mech-games are supposed to be a tad slower paced than normal FPS games.
They ARE made from 20-100 tons of steel after all.

This game makes them zip about as if they are leaves in a particular gusty storm.

Also, I have heard these voice actors in like 20 anime series so far...
Urgh. Get some new folks, Nihon. :S

Wow. I'm flabbergasted by the UI. I love most of it, but it will require adjustment. Many of the UI elements are pedantic, but the barrage of information will surely become helpful.

There's an indicator relating how close you are from a locked-on target (the line one sees traveling from one's AC to the target). There's also a familiar number reporting a measured distance from the target, so it'll be easier to relate to your weapons' effective range.

There is also a highlight of the enemy's shape when you target it (which will be helpful for distinguishing exactly what something is-- sometimes the environment makes that tricky. One might need to undertand what weapon configuration or pieces an enemy AC has, for example).

One can also filter objectives using scanning mode-- which seems to be an attempt at fusing the franchise's radar with the combat screen. It also conceals ammunition and energy expenditure. I'm uncertain how I feel about that.

The only thing I don't like is the giant reticle. I might stay in scanning mode because the scanning mode's reticle seems less annoying. I'd also rather have armor points and energy listed in the corner of my screen as opposed to obstructing my view of the enemy. The reticle alone suggests players will be focusing on one thing and one thing only-- tunnel visioning-- and that isn't conducive for more tactical play. I suppose that's why multiplayer has an operator?

I think the only quality that disappoints me is the relative speed compared to the PS1 and PS2 games. This game seems twitchy like Armored Core 4 and Answer. Granted, the person playing the demo is effin' retarded-- his positioning is HORRIBLE during those fights, he didn't utilize the buildings much!-- but I suppose that will differentiate the good players from the bad.

It would be neat if they would allow fans to customize their UI.

Edit: For an analogy, I think absorbing the UI is akin to the Zero System. Not in scope, of course, but by the consideration of information influx.

In hindsight, I was examining the thing I'm supposing is a health gauge (on the action screen, it's the left number on the reticle. On the scanning screen, it's the number on the top of the box). This guy loses... hardly any health throughout that mission. Maybe that's because it's a demo mission, or an entry mission, but I'm further flabbergasted. Maybe damage ratios will be lower than Armored Core 4?

It looks like the missions are going to be a lot larger and more drawn out than the ones from Armored Core 4, so I assume the damage from enemies might be lower too. It still looks like it's going to be pretty epic, though I've loved pretty much ever Armored Core that's been released so far on consoles since Armored Core: Project Phantasym. =D

I like Mech's but to whole idea of a super fast "speedy" roller-skating robot tank never agreed with me. Also I hope they changed the controls too. Call me new school, I like Halo's controls (one thumb stick to move the other to look around) over Golden Eye's old school (One thumb to move and look around, the other too look up and down) any day.

WHERE IS ANOTHER MECHWARROIR GAME!
Mechwarroir series is my favourite mech game ever.

I've been a fan of AC series since the first one. For me, the best mech game series. AC was always fast, so I'm kinda happy they didn't slow it down.

GameMaNiAC:
I've been a fan of AC series since the first one. For me, the best mech game series. AC was always fast, so I'm kinda happy they didn't slow it down.

Me too, I can't wait for ts to come out then wait a month and get it for like $10-$20 because almost no one has heard of it haha

EDIT: meaning I can't wait to get a game from a series I love for a low price because it's not pulling the crap of being $60 3 years after anyone with a braincell still cares **glares at smash bros**

I get the feeling the developers missed a big opportunity here. Mech multiplayer combat shouldn't be a hectic frenzy. There are already lots of good shooters out there with high-paced gameplay. They should have made the game a lot slower and more tactical instead.

(+) Mechs!
(+) Gameplay looks straightforward but solid
(-) Too fast
(-) Skating mechs, wtf?
(-) Apparently not much tactical depth
verdict: Meh

WOPR:
I can't wait for ts to come out then wait a month and get it for like $10-$20 because almost no one has heard of it haha

Oh, don't worry, this will sell well in Asia.

I see they are still sticking to twitchy lightning speed mechs of crappyness.

I wonder if they will have an actual story in this one? OH and I wonder if they will give the illusion of you being able to beat the game if you play something other than a pilot with a hardon for Ritalin. (fun fact: in For Answer you cant beat white glint without a twitch based mech!)

I wish someone would release another good slower paced mech game, they weigh dozens of tons!

Oh well, I will have to look forward to seeing what Steel Battalion does, and its involving the kennect /worrisome

FelixG:

(fun fact: in For Answer you cant beat white glint without a twitch based mech!)

I beat white glint with a slow, plodding beast. :<

OT:

I'm actually incredibly excited for this. Maybe it's the extreme love for Gundam I have, but the super fast zip-everywhere robots of AC were always right up my alley. Love it.

JamesCG:

FelixG:

(fun fact: in For Answer you cant beat white glint without a twitch based mech!)

OT:

I'm actually incredibly excited for this. Maybe it's the extreme love for Gundam I have, but the super fast zip-everywhere robots of AC were always right up my alley. Love it.

HOOOW? >.<

I tried that mission over 50 times with my plodding mech and couldnt beat him, nor could any of my friends who played with similar mechs

FelixG:

JamesCG:

FelixG:

OT:

HOOOW? >.<

I tried that mission over 50 times with my plodding mech and couldnt beat him, nor could any of my friends who played with similar mechs

Can't remember the name of the missles, but I know there was an incredibly slow moving missle that nearly one-shotted glint.

Sure, I cheesed the mission, but my mech WAS slow. x3

Kenjitsuka:

Both right...
Seriously, I looooove battlemechs, but what the heck is this?

Mech-games are supposed to be a tad slower paced than normal FPS games.
They ARE made from 20-100 tons of steel after all.

you have clearly never played an armored core game. the have the fastest pacing around, its kind of their thing.

Ah yes. That one giant slow moving missile can get you through so many matches, but hell that ammo costs so much.

I get the feeling that they made the guy in this video near invincible to make up for the fact that he can't dodge for beans, and that he completely ignores the air units raining missiles down on him for a minute while focusing on the heavier ground targets which aren't posing nearly as much a threat compared to the harder to dodge air to ground missiles. If he just pulled back slightly and shot them down before engaging the ground targets, this would be so much easier.

Im hoping they bring back the arena mode! AC4 seemed a little hallow without it. Loved online play when I could actually find an opponent though!

This game would really benefit from a "Red Faction"-like destructible environment

For those complaining about AC being too fast, that's like saying that Tennis shouldn't have a net. It's a defining feature of the game series.

Overall, it's nice to see they really upgraded the UI and environments from AC4A. I can't actually see it in action because, as with a lot of AC videos, the movement is too fast for my pitiful laptop to give a good picture.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here