The Big Picture: Smarter Than the Average Bear

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Running out of stuff to talk about, Bob?

Casper and the Angels (along with He-Man) were the first vhs videos I ever got. I think they may have been the first videos my parents ever bought and they got them from Woolworths.

Kids today don't know what they're missing.

AmrasCalmacil:
Bob should really have finished it up with this clip.

I had the exact same thought. :)

I was a kid in the 90s and I don't remember Yo Yogi's debut - this rather makes me happy.

I remember the Space Race. I used to enjoy watching that.

Dude, did you see how totally radical Yo Yogi looked? That was XTREME TO THE MAX!!!

And Bob, just do whatever you like. "fans" are dumb and will complain about whatever they can, even if it doesn't make sense.

Look at the Zelda "Fans":

Ocarina of Time
THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED!!!
Majora's Mask
This wasn't as good as Ocarina. This was weird. We don't like it. Give us more Ocarina.
Wind Waker
This game is stupid. Why is Link a cartoon? We don't like it. Give us more Ocarina.
Twilight Princess
This game was a lot like Ocarina. Why is Link a dog? We don't like it. Give us more Ocarina.
Ocarina of Time 3D
What, Ocarina of Time again? We already played Master Quest. We don't like it. Give us more Ocarina.

Idea: You should make a video on the Zelda series, just to bait the rabid Zelda fanboys >=D

I'm not from the states, yet I recall every single character he brought up, and every single show (yes, even Yo-Yogi).
Man..I'v watched faaaar too much Cartoon Network.

I remember all, if not every single of those when I was a kid. I feel old.

Also, you'd be surprised at how popular Top Cat was (and still is) in my country.

I'm so glad you're not talking about the recent Yogi Bear movies. Even in the bad stuff, I often want to know the details just so I can make points about bad storytelling in Hollywood. Yogi Bear, however, is one of those occasional things where, from the previews, I could tell was going to suck so hard that I have no desire to have even the vaguest inkling of how bad it is.

Didn't the ren and stimpy team do a few Yogi Cartoons in the early 2000?
I could have sworn they did, I might be wrong tho.

Bob forgot the best part of Yo Yogi: 3D sequences.

I don't remember the last time I watch a Yogi Bear cartoon, but I can't imagine that the new movie would be so horrible as for it to ruin Yogi for me.

MovieBob: My favorite villain- Mr. Bigot, who had a Ray Gun that turned people into racists

WT*?

My response:

I knew all of those characters, and I'm faaar too young to remember them from the time. God bless repeats, I suppose

I love Wacky Races, together with Tom & Jerry it's about the only cartoon on Boomerang that's still actually funny.

I think this episode needs to be done again later on for Scooby Doo and the gang, possibly alongside an explanation of why so many of Hanna Barbara characters have midget version sidekicks.

what? no mention of the Harvey Birdman attorney at law episode that yogi was in?

Yo Yogi... You couldn't pay me to watch that **** show.

The only thing WORSE than "updating" classic characters, WORSE than making them into KIDS,

Is making them into BABIES.

Wasn't Tweety ALREADY a baby?

Yeah, I remember all of those characters and I'm sure I'm too young, thank God for repeats.

I just remember having my mind blown by cross overs.

Ahhhh...good times.
I remember watching reruns of "Treasure Hunt". It was pretty damn good. I also seem to remember a great deal of the 80's-90's tv movies. My favorite was "Spruce Goose", followed by the Yogi story in "Arabian Nights", which also holds a special place in my mind for featuring "Aliyah-Din", who's basically "girl Aladdin", but sticks out for me for being rather...stunning for a one-shot mid 90's HB character.
Also, Yo, Yogi is just as awful as it sounds.
And finally...I...FUCKING...LOVE..."TOP CAT"

Top Cat and Dastardly, Muttley in Their Flying Machines (Stop the Pigeon), Wacky Races, Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo were the best HB shows. Time to watch Top Cat on youtbe.

FIRE THE RACISM CANNON!

Sounds like something out of Phineas and Ferb. If Phineas and Ferb had existed in that era.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the re-tooling of Hanna-Barbera characters in shows like Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law. I guess it isn't all that interesting.

Oh, god. Yo, Yogi! I had completely forgotten about that.

Welcome back, nightmares.

I remember watching a Yogi movie on CN when I was a kid; Yogi was hosting a X-mas party or something and there was this bitter yet misunderstood kid who was trying to ruin it along with some other guy. Then they get hugs and they change their minds or something like that.
I was smart/mature/whatever enough to not watch Yogi's movie, the new one. My poor friend wanted to see it, perhaps still hopeful, cherishing her old Yogi memories.

How wrong she was. How wrong she is...

PS: Top Cat was the best. I actually wanted to be a cat...and go live with him in that alley (I was a kid, shut up).

Zachary Amaranth:
A racism gun. That's...Yeah, it makes Captain Planet's Rogue Gallery look like a sound and well-thought out bunch.

Scarim Coral:
Man I literary burst out laughing upon hearing that villain name Mr Bigot and his racist gun!

Well considering the stuff going on over at Superfriends with Wendy and Marvin that was par for the course. Thankfully Yogi's Gang didn't have too many of the gimmick villains ("The Envy Brothers"-an envy ring and "Mr. Hothead" with his temper ray) requiring most of them to use smooth talk to get their way.

orangeapples:
Idea: You should make a video on the Zelda series, just to bait the rabid Zelda fanboys >=D

You know not what pandora's box of chaos you are opening! Are you aware that there are a number of Zelda games made for Playstation's evil twin? That no less than two of them were platformers? That they contain animations and voice acting that will haunt your nightmares? Let sleeping dogs lie lest Moviebob conjure up horrors worse than "Excuse me, princess!".

daxterx2005:
Didn't the ren and stimpy team do a few Yogi Cartoons in the early 2000?
I could have sworn they did, I might be wrong tho.

Bob showed stills from them and mentioned that John K. the creator of Ren and Stimpy had made some.

Anyway, how young do Bob and Susan look in that cast photo of Sesame Street? And how exactly was Wacky Races infamous? Did it corrupt the youth or something? Why was I left out?

TheSchaef:
I had to scratch my head at those various characters being referred to as obscure, since I recognized every last one of them. Maybe it's just that Snagglepuss wasn't around as much as Huckleberry Hound, but come on, the two of them and Quickdraw and Oggy Doggy (and Doggy Daddy, my son, my son) went on pretty much every crossover adventure Yogi had.

It could also be that I watched the Laff-a-Lympics religiously as a child, so after a few years of that, I'm intimately familiar with Hong-Kong Fooey and Captain Caveman and Jabberjaw and all the rest. But I also remember seeing reruns of their individual shows, so I dunno.

People who want a real nostalgia trip on HB properties need (desperately!) to watch Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law. Not only is the titular character an old HB mainstay Birdman, but nearly all of his clients and supporting characters are from the HB universe, including Inch-High Private Eye, Magilla Gorilla, and Blue Falcon/Dinomutt, as his Latin nemesis, Azul Falcone.

Here's a classic example: Grape Ape caught 'roiding up at the Laff-a-Lympics:
http://video.adultswim.com/harvey-birdman-attorney-at-law/grape-ape-competes.html

Yeah... I recognized them all too. Though I've gotta say, out of the entire bunch, Top Cat and Quickdraw are probably my favorites.

And Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law is an absolutely amazing show.

Hungry Donner:

I was a kid in the 90s and I don't remember Yo Yogi's debut - this rather makes me happy.

I do... I do... *shudder* *suck thumb and rock back and forth in fetal position*

orangeapples:

Angry Video Game Nerd made a pretty good one on the Zelda continuity. Yogi's is still more messed-up, but Zelda's is... pretty bad, to say the least.

As for the episode, that was surprisingly informative, and reminds me again why Bob is my favorite presenter on this site. I knew Yogi was big, and I remember watching his cartoons as a kid, but I didn't know he was THAT big.

Though I do have one question about Yogi Bear... is his name supposed to be a pun on the name of baseball legend Yogi Berra?

misterprickly:

The only thing WORSE than "updating" classic characters, WORSE than making them into KIDS,

I will counter-argue with Muppet Babies. Nuff said.*

*(Implying that the aforementioned show was awesome, no matter what form the Muppets were in.)

OMG , I grew up watching most of these shows as kid , even the ones you labeled "Obscure" , alongside Tom & Jerry , Loony Toons , Merrie Melodies , and Sesame Street. (The latter made me learn how to count to 40 and memories the alphabet in English before I even hit school. and they say TV is bad for your brain. :P )

man , that was so nostalgic , I can barely breathe , and my eyes are getting teary. :(

Screw you , Movie Bob for reminding me of my early childhood ! T_T

I had no idea there was that much...Yogi. Good lord.

AmrasCalmacil:
Bob should really have finished it up with this clip.

That was really depressing to watch. :<

The Flintstones were based upon the light comedy used by early sitcoms. The original show aired during prime-time and was geared towards an older audience. Yogi was aimed at kids and that was reflected in the slapstick comedy.

I suspect that Scooby Doo is still an active franchise because it is based around universal themes that make an easier transition from era to era.

Jbird:

misterprickly:

I will counter-argue with Muppet Babies. Nuff said.*

*(Implying that the aforementioned show was awesome, no matter what form the Muppets were in.)

Agreed!

Muppet babies was awesome; Mainly because it was the FIRST to do so.

BEST spinoff EVER! All the others that followed it WERE CRAP!

Wow! ANOTHER intelligent episode without injecting liberal american politics! Much more of this and I'll have to forgive Bob for slipping that kind of tripe onto The Escapist in the first place.

Josie and the pussycats got a whole movie of it's own, dunno if you knew.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here