Zero Punctuation: Red Faction Armageddon

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Red Faction Armageddon

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Red Faction Armageddon.

Watch Video

I think he made that excuse some time ago.... which game was it?

There wasn't a second game, but there was a TV movie, that honestly didn't really explain much of what's happening in Armageddon. Although, it's possibly one of the best game inspired movies ever made, it's non-sucking factor is surprisingly high.

Armageddon's story still gives me nightmares, it's like the people who wrote it just thew ideas up against a wall and put in what stuck.

So... photons can magically rewind time to fix things now? How you may ask? SCIENCE!

Finally, a Leisure Suit Larry reference that actually works. But now i'm sad when i have to think of what happened to my poor Larry.

I miss Al.

Thanks Yahtzee.

Guess I'll have to give this game a miss, then, not that I was ever interested in it.

I can see destroying things loses its novelty when you can just repair it in the blink of an eye.

I might get it when it's pretty cheap. At least Yahtzee closed his Conan Revenge Cycle.

Yet another example that I shouldn't get my hopes up for a game to exceed my expectations. Also I somehow missed the fact this game even came out. Though since I don't buy games until they lose that hefty price tag, it isn't really too important.

At least THQ is redeeming themselves with the amount of money thrown at Saints Row 3.

I was very pleased by the Larry 4 reference :)

At least THQ is redeeming themselves with the amount of money they're throwing at Saints Row 3.

uguito-93:
So... photons can magically rewind time to fix things now?

Of COURSE! Don't you know anything about SCIENCE?

This game sounds bad. Really bad.

I remember seeing the commercials for this and thinking "Wait... wasn't Red Faction about some dude fighting against the oppressive martian government cause they killed his brother.. why the hell is he fighting space monsters now?

But hey, a boring, half-made, linear shooter where you fight space bugs. Glad we've never seen that before.

Man, this game sounds boring beyond belief. Like they simply removed the few fun things in Guerilla.

Why do people want him to review Human Revolution?

He'll probably play it on a console, find it's average coz it's a fucking console edition of a pc game, and not realise that's why it's average, dump on it and not be really funny coz he's too busy being wrong.

Let him pick games we don't already know are amazing, to hit on.

Outland next plz its an inde game you might like

A high Quality episode, keep it up!

Have THQ ever published a good game?

Cat of Doom:

Saints Row 2.. and hopefully Saints Row 3.

Cat of Doom:

The Dawn of War series.

Cat of Doom:

And hopefully Warhammer 40k Space Marine if I'm not mistaken.

OT: Another great episode.

Too bad another series got ruined.Started from being a fps with destructible walls to third person sandbox which was a good choice,then it stepped backwards to the third person action linear shooter.

At the end, should be "to", not "too".

Sylveria:

Cat of Doom:

Saints Row 2.. and hopefully Saints Row 3.

There is no hopefully. They haven't published it, but they will, and it will be brilliant.

OT: Man, I remember seeing this pop up on Steam for a while... Then nothing. Not that I care, never played any of the games. My mate has apparently had a bit of fun with that last one.

Really good video. Laugh out loud funny with the tie in from beginning to the end.

I didn't even know about this game till this review...And something never really appealed to me about breaking things with a hammer. It doesn't seem like you could ever really do that...ever..

Just to make the point here: Just because Yahtzee thinks a variety of weapon choices makes the game lose focus does not make it so. Just because the game is not an open world game does not make it bad. Just because the story has... ok... the story is pretty shitty I will admit.

This game features a tight gameplay, cool mechanics and excellent set pieces. The great variety makes people able to choose the weapons they like (I am strictly an Assault Rifle, Singularity gun, rocket launcher, magnet gun man) from widely different weapons.

The "just there" comment is just plain silly to be honest. A good mechanic "is just there". It does not need to wear bright clothes and funny hat. The repair/destroy creates a great duality and it leaves the developers free to let you destroy most everything simply because you can remove them again. It also opens up interesting tactical options that you would not consider before. Over all the gameplay part of this game is solid. If you want a solid story on top you best be going elsewhere (That being said the story and acting has some bright points but no nearly enough to cover up the holes).

I would like to here make a point of mentioning the... destruction mode... or whatever. Can't remember. It is basically a game mode where you get a small playground, infinite ammo and access to all the weapons you have unlocked. Now go smash it up. It is far more fun then I expected it to be.

So in closing: Yahtzee was right on the story. As for the gameplay he was way of the mark.

Cat of Doom:

Saints Row 2.
Company of Heroes.
the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series.
Warhammer.
Dawn of War.
Metro 2033.

Or simply said. Yes.

OT: Great review. Loved the part where he complains about how he takes the blame for everything.

Cat of Doom:

Saints Row 2.
Company of Heroes.
the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series.
Warhammer.
Dawn of War.
Metro 2033.

Or simply said. Yes.

OT: Great review. Loved the part where he complains about how he takes the blame for everything.

And now THQ has killed the series. Less than perfect apparently so having one of the few decent destruction physics isn't good enough anymore to even try something new again.

As for a world records for female character death, I'd bring up GTA: Chinatown Wars where the lady on the box art was killed by mission 4 or something, which Yahzee did mention during the credits for that game review haha.

It's a solid game, and if you like FPS games it's worth a rental. But really in a world of Gears of War and Dead Space, it's not a highlight.

The only thing that sledgehammer should be used for is bashing over the head whichever THQ executive took the decision to set it all in tunnels/caves... and then cancelled the series because of the poor sales.

I feel less guilty now about playing this game for ten minutes and never going back to it.

Pity they didn't just build on RF:G, which was a very decent game.

Seriously? Is that how the game ends?

That is just ...stupid. Ugh.

Ne1butme:
Finally, a Leisure Suit Larry reference that actually works. But now i'm sad when i have to think of what happened to my poor Larry.

I miss Al.

Thanks Yahtzee.

Buck up, Lowe was brought on board for a new Leisure Suit Larry game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110692-Leisure-Suit-Larry-Returns-Later-This-Year

Nitpick: The only audio book that would get that bad after the wash is a cassette tape.

You old fart, Yahtzee, you.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or