Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Eternity Vault Walkthrough

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Eternity Vault Walkthrough

Let's put all the worst people in the galaxy in one place, what could possibly go wrong?

Watch Video

ehh, I guess it looks neat but it really looks like a mod for wow, granted a professionally made one, but still. I guess I hope its successful since Im not fond of blizzard but that vid doesnt fill me with a primal lust for it

I have to say, this doesn't look at that great. MMO combat tends to not be so exciting, and this is no different. They make it look like action, but it's still the same MMO mechanic. It would have been awesome to have system like they did with Global Agenda, where you actually have to aim and hit things with attacks and abilities.

I'll wait to see what happens with reviews, though there is not a lot of incentive to get this. What with the artificial shortages of server space and the intended lag that comes with it. I love Star Wars, but there is plenty within the universe to not like. I don't mind Bioware, but I don't have any love of EA at all, so if I don't have to support them, I won't.

I have a friend in the beta and he hasn't really mentioned the game. That doesn't bode well for it.

So I suppose the Infernal one is a Ratkan.

WoW with lightsabres, sweet.

Heh, I guess they heard the internet mocking them loudly after that last video where all the characters mindlessly stood around. This time, they had the characters run around a bit to simulate action but how much of that was just for show. I saw a lot of guys running around when they were not even targeted and while they appeared to be in striking range.

Nice try.

Anyway, I do the like the art but that may be because I'm so bloody tired of Warcrafts weak art design. The real problems with WoW are not the art, interface or shiny bits and pieces. It comes down to repetitive quests and the inability to affect the world the game takes place in.

Another issue, "Hurry! I beat the robot from the ancient prison planet!! Just like everyone else...." That goes for most MMOs though.

If Bioware can break free of the mold in the more important ways I see them succeeding.

The biggest turn off for me with WoW, is the lack of story.
Theres a massive amount of lore and everything, but very little of it is of use to me.

Because ToR is a Story driven MMO, a lot of the lore will actually be of importance.

What TOR does is offer a highly visual, polished MMO, much like what WoW did, and comparing it with WoW isn't negative, it's actually what the developers went for, so that people who play MMOs will find the setup familiar. The one thing that makes TOR stand out is the story and the way it's told, the combat isn't that different from the old Kotor games either, when you come right down to it.

Yeah, no. I'm kinda sick of the whole WoW aesthetic and how they pretend a living bomb/missile barrage/tanks with a leap is anything near innovation.

chstens:
What TOR does is offer a highly visual, polished MMO, much like what WoW did, and comparing it with WoW isn't negative, it's actually what the developers went for, so that people who play MMOs will find the setup familiar. The one thing that makes TOR stand out is the story and the way it's told, the combat isn't that different from the old Kotor games either, when you come right down to it.

Dragon age comes to mind, similar mechanics. :P

OT: this really isn't anything new, it's just high def footage of what we saw last week at gamescom. Still great to hear some good commentary over it though.

It looks eeeeeehhh. It can go two ways, either take the world by storm or be the new wow or be a super wow clone that just bombs.

It's like a law or something, every mmo must have a prison instance or raid. Perhaps if they don't they get thrown into a prison of their own.

Amazing, some classes are taking damage on purpose, others are healing while the rest are dishing out damage. Someone should come up with a name for this kind of system.

Maybe it's because I don't play too many MMOs but I really saw nothing appealing in that video.

Cool now I can play Violet Hold even more,,, wait this isn't wow, or is it.

That looked pretty cool. I might try this out.

So now GW2 vid huh?
If this game had the same graphics, gameplay and the level of storytelling but wasn't SW not a single person would pay for it.

About the vid, they said it took an army to stop it the previous time but now about 20 players can do it?

I wonder how many people have forgotten how "like mmo's" the original kotor games were, those weren't exactly fluid action games, the most you could do was queue up to 3 of your attacks if I remember correctly, other than that it was very turn-based.

Don't think of it as like WoW think of it as like the kotor games.

MEH.As someone already said - just WoW with lightsabers.

There is something really broken in EA's marketing department.I thoughed trailers are supposed to make us interested in the game,but they only making the game lok more and more......well for the lack of better expresion...MEH.

Consensus: Yawn.

Really it's the trifecta with a Star Wars stamp on everything. Did you hear the announcer even becoming bored with it? Either way I hadn't planned on getting it. GW2 for the inevitable mmo innovation win.

Doesn't look like anything special. Not a big MMO fan though, so I wouldn't really know what to look for. Maybe I'm just still sad BioWare put all this work into an MMO instead of making KOTOR 3. :(

jonyboy13:
So now GW2 vid huh?

Nah, they have the same trailer they had at gamescom. ANet seems to be focusing on PvP this time.

Why yes that is djWHEAT commentating, e-sports fans.

OT: SW:TOR looks like a lot of fun. If I had any money, or if it was a regular single-player (or maybe co-op) game like KotOR and Mass Effect, I might have played it alongside GW2. Sadly... neither is true.

That said, this dungeon just doesn't impress me. It didn't when they showed us the trailer in June, and this new one hasn't changed that. Eternity Vault and Huttball aren't going to cut it, Bioware. What else ya got?

jonyboy13:
If this game had the same graphics, gameplay and the level of storytelling but wasn't SW not a single person would pay for it.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Their early demos looked a lot better than this... this combat looks really, really dull.

What does being a "tank" or a "healer" have to do with Star Wars? I really hate to sound petulant over this, but it just doesn't look compelling, or even... anything like how I'd want to play a game in the Star Wars universe. The Sith intentionally take hits like bitches and charge in like idiots, the medics stand still the whole fight and don't get to do anything... the Bounty Hunter is the only one who I can see as maybe having a good time and reflecting how I'd actually expect a Bounty Hunter to play in this situation. All of them, meanwhile, are depending on artificial magic powers to keep them alive, and the giant droid barely moves.

I mean, let's ignore the similarities to WoW for just a second and put it up against, say, the original Star Wars trilogy. Let's think about how a team of Leia, Han, Chewie, and Luke Skywalker would have fared against this challenge.

The turrets would have fried them, no question, because they look like vehicle-grade turbolasers. so Han and Chewie would've gone in low and stealthy and planted some bombs on them, detonating them and sending the place into a panic to kick things off. They'd then use their position of cover behind the turrets to flank the droids.

Luke goes in and tears shit up, acting as a distraction--not by taking hits like a bitch, but by out-maneuvering, confusing, and possibly force pushing the droids into submission. Hit and run tactics are his order of the day.

Leia's big role would've been before the battle, laying out this plan, though she might be going in while the droids are distracted and covering R2 while he tries to get the door open, Han moving to her side as the droids' numbers thin. Or, she might be watching from cover, helping pick them off, and overseeing the battle as a tactician and giving them heads-ups about unexpected developments, like reinforcements. She might also be commanding some reinforcements of their own. She certainly wouldn't be calling out generic encouragement to bestow artificial buffs on Luke while he takes hits like a bitch, or just standing around looking whipped.

That's more how I'd expect a Star Wars encounter to go and the type of action and pace I'd expect it to set. I've played games that reflect those sort of tactics, from Bioware, no less. Most of their games, up until they started in on Dragon Age: Origins, in fact, tend to reflect those kind of tactics. I'm not too fond of their slow pace, but I was excited for this game anyway because compared with World of Warcraft and Everquest, Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate had a breakneck pace, and a multiplayer context would put a new spin on the strategy element of that type of game. It was exciting because it looked like it was going to be a really different spin on the MMO world, emphasizing more Bioware's unique strengths than trying to ride on other companies' successes and bringing the tabletop experience to the MMO market in an accessible and exciting package.

I've played Star Wars games that give me that sense of tactical action, too, as well as more kinetic action--like Battlefront and Republic Commando, among many others. I don't even really like Battlefront that much, but I'd take it over this any day.

I hate to keep harping on this, but the WoW-style "holy trinity," heavily metagame-focused combat really feels to me like a huge big mis-step for this game. From where I'm sitting it looks and feels extremely generic, and, as I keep saying, really distant from anything I'd consider Star Wars.

This is looking less and less interesting as it gets closer to release, at this point I'm really doubting I'll bother to try it.

NickCaligo42:
...<lots of good stuff>...

He's right, this is exactly what's wrong with TOR. And in this setting there should be nobody soaking up damage like a WoW-style tank. Even for those in armour, a couple of hits should mean death.

Hey! It worked for mass effect 2 did it not?

Wait a minute...

OH FFS, when is this game coming out. I'v seen so many teaser trailers I shall soon compust with want. Come on EA Give me a release date.

The story may be great but the gameplay looks utterly uninspired, what a pity. Boss fights are a seriously hackneyed game mechanic: nickel and dime them until they go down, rinse and repeat. Dull dull dull.

I'll certainly try this game at some point as I'm a massive SW fan, and I'd like to see what the stories are like but I doubt it's going to have much longevity.

-Gift.

The gameplay looks the same as WOW, which is kind of sad since the Star Wars Universe had the chance to try and break the tank/healer/damage model of MMO combat.

I saw so much opportunity for some innovation; like having the survivors escape pods crash down further apart from each other and have the group separated and each member try to make the rendezvous individually. If a team member gets stuck, the team could search for the missing member. That would have been much more compelling than the run to the escape pods in the video which only served as an entrance into the dungeon.

Also, why is there a tank class in the SW gameplay? In fantasy, the tank is usually the warrior because they are wearing the plate armor; tough but cumbersome; the damage deals don't have the gear to let them survive. In the SW universe, if the tank's survivability comes from shields or other technology, then why only equip one person with such equipment.

I would much rather prefer the game play to bear more in common with a FPS where aiming and cover are more important.

Evil Alpaca:
The gameplay looks the same as WOW, which is kind of sad since the Star Wars Universe had the chance to try and break the tank/healer/damage model of MMO combat.

I saw so much opportunity for some innovation; like having the survivors escape pods crash down further apart from each other and have the group separated and each member try to make the rendezvous individually. If a team member gets stuck, the team could search for the missing member. That would have been much more compelling than the run to the escape pods in the video which only served as an entrance into the dungeon.

Also, why is there a tank class in the SW gameplay? In fantasy, the tank is usually the warrior because they are wearing the plate armor; tough but cumbersome; the damage deals don't have the gear to let them survive. In the SW universe, if the tank's survivability comes from shields or other technology, then why only equip one person with such equipment.

I would much rather prefer the game play to bear more in common with a FPS where aiming and cover are more important.

You think there isn't heavy armor in Star Wars?

Looks like some high level stuff there. Keep those guilds grinding!

Does anyone else notice how the Droid is aiming one of it's guns gangsta style?

lithium.jelly:

NickCaligo42:
...<lots of good stuff>...

He's right, this is exactly what's wrong with TOR. And in this setting there should be nobody soaking up damage like a WoW-style tank. Even for those in armour, a couple of hits should mean death.

Thirded. But then I've never really been a fan of the tank/DPS/healer model.

adding "raids" was a requirement of the pre-existing market as such there's nothing wrong with any of this.

all i see is a bunch of folk saying they want something different but completely devoid of any suggestion as to what that might be and when they do suggest something (like "lightsabers should be a one hit kill" or "there should be no one capable of soaking up damage") its completely unworkable in the framework of actual gameplay.

i'd love someone to actually lay out how they'd set about controlling an MMO boss encounter of any real consequence without the tank/DPS/healer model without it descending into total RNG dependant chaos. GW2 won't crack this nut either. both games have heals and damage on many multiple classes. the only reason people are assigned as healers and the like in this "Operation" is because they are instinctively "min maxing" and whether anyone will admit it or not that's going to happen in GW2 too because in essence its not a game mechanic at all but a player driven response. even if it wasn't facilitated it would be done anyway.

perhaps i should join in and try and be edgy and counter to the prevailing zeitgeist too
"hey how bout a system like that French MMO where you only had one life ?"
"what French MMO ?"
"exactly"
nah i can't be bothered.

this game is light years ahead of WoW and is going to do great business. i will be playing it. if you're not meh. i don't expect MMOs to be shown much appreciation on a site like this which is so dominated by console gamers.

Looks crap. Its just underwhelming when you are just one of many high powered characters. I prefer other star wars games where you are central and can become powerful. Why i lost interest in WOW. So this game isnt for me.

I thought this game would take skill...more than WoW level skill.... :(

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or