Jimquisition: Angry Birds Is Not Sh*t

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

SvenBTB:
Shesh. This isn't going to help anyone's opinion of Jim Sterling. Seriously? "Angry Birds it not shit?" as an episode? Well yea, no SHIT (no pun intended), everyone plays it, gamers and "non-gamers" alike. That's like saying "Cereal IS edible!" Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.

I don't even have to watch the damn thing to know how shit it is. I only had to watch the first one, and look at all the subsequent episodes titles ALONE to know it's utter shit.

Those who run the Escapist judge shows solely on how many views they get, so you've either:

A: Helped the show continue by watching it, defeating your own point

or

B: Made a opinionated comment without watching it, making yourself look a little silly

bit_crusherrr:
Angry Birds is a decent game.

The only thing that pissed me off is its 6ish on PC yet 99p on iPhone or free on Android. I feel the same way about Plants vs Zombies.

Or the Google+ version or the Google Chrome version,those are abso-fucking-lutly free. Yeah,it is always more expensive on a computer,but that's because they can. Not everyone does this,but enough of them do.

Also,

sravankb:

SvenBTB:
Shesh. This isn't going to help anyone's opinion of Jim Sterling. Seriously? "Angry Birds it not shit?" as an episode? Well yea, no SHIT (no pun intended), everyone plays it, gamers and "non-gamers" alike. That's like saying "Cereal IS edible!" Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.

I don't even have to watch the damn thing to know how shit it is. I only had to watch the first one, and look at all the subsequent episodes titles ALONE to know it's utter shit.

"I am not gonna watch this show, but I have an uneducated and angry opinion on it."

Seriously, get over yourself. If this show really annoyed you, then you would avoid it, and not bother posting here. Hell, that would be better for you and the rest of us. You wouldn't have to be annoyed and people who actually enjoy the show won't have to witness your uninformed viewpoint.

and to the same guy, (SvenBTB)

Furrama:

Go make your own show if you think you can do better, bitching here isn't winning you any favors. In fact, you're only adding to his view count and revenue.

Both of these...so very much.
Why can't people just shut up about things they hate,as if we take their word as law or of any importance whatsoever. People should also watch the videos they post comments on instead of skipping it and heading straight to the bitching.

OT:
I never really heard people complain about Angry Birds but I never really met a "hardcore" gamer before so maybe I'm just crazy.

People hate Angry Birds? News to me. I guess I live in a Bubble, it was fun while it lasted on my Iphone.

I haven't really seen any hate towards it, to be honest.
I've played it for a bit, didn't find it that interesting, but still a fun little game.

Well i wish i hadn't given this one another look. Im not really sure of jims point as i wasn't with his Call of Duty video apart from rubbing his balls in everyones face and going "look at me! Im clever!!!"

Yeah, no Jim. No.

Angry Birds isn't "adapted" from Crush the Castle, it's the EXACT same game, only with a cartoon overlay and touch-screen controls. Crush the Castle doesn't play anything like Worms, and the fact that you're comparing two games that different. And saying that Worms=Crush the Castle=Angry Birds is a load fucking codswallop.

Rovio stole from a flash game maker and made millions and millions of dollars off of his work.

Are there that many people really hating the game? I've missed it. You defended your case well, Jim, but is the opposition really so substantial? Maybe it's because I've just not played Angry Birds (no hate here, just disinterest in those kind games in general. I don't think it is available on my phone anyway).

actually this is the first time i heard that people are talking bad about angry birds
i see it everywhere

but yes...the call of duty syndrome should have its own wikipedia page

It's a cool flash game, but then so are thousands of others just like it, and they are free.

With many of his recent topics discussed I'm getting the impression of Jim Sterling being the normal guy competing in the Special Olympics. Yeah what he says is all true but you pretty much have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and the escapist is probably the most idiot-free gaming website out there. While these idiots do exist a vast number of them are probably just stupid kids anyways being spoon-fed the latest big budget release with little diversity and no perspective on the history of gaming.

JustaGigolo:
Angry Birds is the same flash game I've played a million times on Addictinggames during class.

This is my problem with it as well. I've seen thousands of Flash games (not just Crush the Castle) that have pretty much the same gameplay mechanics (although the premise is fairly original, so points for that). And Rovio seem to be making way to much money out of it as well. I mean seriously; Angry Birds the movie sounds like a bad joke, not a modestly budgeted CG game tie-in.

OT; Uhmm..... Jim, what sort of retards do you hang around with? Because I have never heard a bad word about Angry Birds (except from trolls).

People hate on Angry Birds? Seriously?

It's a fun little app game. What's the problem?

Gerbil Physics is better than Angry Birds!!!

Okay, I just wanted to post that.... again.

People who hate any games are silly. Find something better to do with your time.

JustaGigolo:
Angry Birds is the same flash game I've played a million times on Addictinggames during class.

It might not be shit, but it's nothing original or deserving of praise.

If anything, it's just proof that you can take an unoriginal idea, and make a shit ton of cash with it.

agreed. It's like none of the iPhone users had ever played flash games...

oh wait.

JustaGigolo:

If anything, it's just proof that you can take an unoriginal idea, and make a shit ton of cash with it.

Just as Call of Duty, Legend of Zelda, Gears of War, God of War, Super Mario and a lot more I can't remember right now.

You just know that the people who decry Angry Birds as the video game anti-christ secretly play it when they're alone.

JustaGigolo:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OT

It's cool that people like it yet its really overhyped.

I've really come around to The Jimquisition and like that he seems to have found his niche in going against the general feelings of the most vocal parts of the Escapist community. Now all he has to do is an episode on Valve, Minecraft or JRPGs...

I've never even heard of Angry Birds.

wow i honestly never knew there was soo much criticism with this game. i just imagined it was another one of these iphone games that get popular for about a month then the next one comes along. seeing as i don't have an iphone i don't take notice but can't condemn it. i knew there was a one like it in the past but as jim said it's all about plagarising for you. everyone does it. good luck to ya if you can take an idea and make it work for you

Personally I think the thing that put a lot of gamers noses out of joint were the loud choruses of casual gamers trumpetting the "new" and "totally original" concept of Angry Birds which just was never true! Personally I couldn't see what all the fuss was about as my brother bragged about his new iPad, I mean Angry Birds screen, when I'd played it many times before and often with more innovative level design.

For me, the best thing about Angry Birds is the polished graphical concept. It had a cute storyline, no bloodshed and something cartoony enough but with a Looney Tunes edge to appeal to adults and kids alike. Fair enough. You take an already popular game style and polish it until it shines. Well done now can we all move on? Nope, apparently not...

Great clip Jim! Once again you knock the haters down a peg :D

Personally though I don't like Angry Birds because I'm not a fan of the way it rewards the player.

There's too much 'randomness'. You can figure out the optimum strategy to beat a specific level, or get the high score you want very quickly, but actually executing that strategy can take hours; not because it takes a lot of skill and practice, but because a very tiny difference in your throw can result in a big difference in the results.

Ever seen those mobile slot machine games? Where you just play a slot machine for fake money and all you do is press the same button over and over and eventually by law of averages, you end up winning? I think those games are in a similar part of the skill/luck spectrum as Angry Birds.

That doesn't mean they're not valid or fun, but I can totally see why a 'hardcore' gamer would be annoyed with it. They go into it with a mindset of learning a new skill and they don't get what they seek. And then, they hear from people about how the game is great and they internalize that to mean that all their skills at Guitar Hero and Call of Duty are unappreciated. (<-- I just described my own reaction to the game, btw. I know it's irrational, because there's different games for different people and we can all be happy, but on a gut level, someone who plays Angry Birds or a slot machine game all day and still calls themselves a gamer like me is besmirching my passion for games)

(P.S: I'm not saying that it's ALL luck, mind you. If anyone reading this is proud of their Angry Birds skills, then I mean no offense. I just maintain that the game design intentionally tries to de-emphasize repeatability and predictability)

(P.P.S: Sorry for the long post)

Chris De Burgh has a wonderful head of hair, I do concur.

Well I don't hate Angry Birds, nor have I ever really expressed any hate for it in a serious manner. It exists, and I have no problem with that. I just personally don't play it so much, cause after downloading it, I just felt like the genre of game in general kinda had too much of a sense of 'hit or miss' to it; a lot of it was to do with blind luck as much as technicalities, and I'm not going to bother putting in the hours to hone my skills with Angry Bird to the point that luck isn't a factor anymore. So I dunno, whenever someone mentions Angry Birds I don't rage about it, but I'm kinda more "meh, I'm not so much a fan of Angry Birds"

I do play phone games, don't get me wrong... Angry Birds just isn't a particular favourite, just like Medal of Honour isn't a particular favourite console game. I just prefer stuff like Doodle Jump and Cut The Rope personally, both of which I think has a lot more to do with technical skill.

bringer of illumination:
Yeah, no Jim. No.

Angry Birds isn't "adapted" from Crush the Castle, it's the EXACT same game, only with a cartoon overlay and touch-screen controls. Crush the Castle doesn't play anything like Worms, and the fact that you're comparing two games that different. And saying that Worms=Crush the Castle=Angry Birds is a load fucking codswallop.

Rovio stole from a flash game maker and made millions and millions of dollars off of his work.

And why he hasn't sued is because Apple would just wave endless money at the judge and lawyers.
God, I wish Angry Birds didn't exist for the fact that Crush the Castle is just the same game, but better. AND FREE!

Also, the comparision to worms and crush the castle pisses me off to no extent, NO GAME is = to Worms, Worms is very, very different from a lot of games, the only game that comes CLOSE to being like it is Hedge Wars, which was inspired by the series.

RandV80:
With many of his recent topics discussed I'm getting the impression of Jim Sterling being the normal guy competing in the Special Olympics. Yeah what he says is all true but you pretty much have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and the escapist is probably the most idiot-free gaming website out there. While these idiots do exist a vast number of them are probably just stupid kids anyways being spoon-fed the latest big budget release with little diversity and no perspective on the history of gaming.

Only got one thing to say, hes from Destructoid. Their community differs from Escapist level, and then to little CoDers and then even littlier shits. He is so used to THAT community, its sorta hard for him to adjust to ours.

Angry Birds is the first and so far only game that my mom likes and plays regularly on her iPad. I was literally freaking out when I heard her talking to a friend of hers about the game and how many stars she's earned.

Simalacrum:
Well I don't hate Angry Birds, nor have I ever really expressed any hate for it in a serious manner. It exists, and I have no problem with that. I just personally don't play it so much, cause after downloading it, I just felt like the genre of game in general kinda had too much of a sense of 'hit or miss' to it; a lot of it was to do with blind luck as much as technicalities, and I'm not going to bother putting in the hours to hone my skills with Angry Bird to the point that luck isn't a factor anymore. So I dunno, whenever someone mentions Angry Birds I don't rage about it, but I'm kinda more "meh, I'm not so much a fan of Angry Birds"

You just echoed my sentiments there. Jim should have made the caveat of 'If you don't like it personally, that's fine, so long as you respect its right to exist'. When I watched the video it sorta came off as Jim attacking people who don't like Angry Birds, which I know was not his intention.

There are plenty of people who enjoy the thrill of luck, and that's one tool in the game designer's 'psychological toolbox' to give the users good feelings while they play their game. However, some people, like you and me, don't respond as well to this type of reward. Personally, I like games that emphasize skill and practice, such as Super Meat Boy and Guitar Hero. (On the opposite side of the spectrum are games like Peggle, and Angry Birds, and in the middle are games like World of Goo, where you need to use strategy and skill, but even the best player still fails many times before pulling it off)

It's a horrible horrible game because there's no connection between what you do and what happens. It's substantially more random than even Peggle which was riding the razors edge between a game and a flashing light simulator.

The combination of it's abysmally low quality and huge success means it's quite difficult to argue that there are actually decent games on the appstore. It's hyperbole to say it's a tragedy that it sold so well but then hyperbole gets around.

I only disagree with the comment where you say it took an idea from crush the castle and adapted it.

The only thing I see is that it changed it from stones to birds and men to pigs then gave the projectiles different properties. If I took my ideas from a game and changed it as little as they did in my programming class (not that it makes me an expert, but its a source of bitterness) I would have failed.

cardinalwiggles:
wow i honestly never knew there was soo much criticism with this game. i just imagined it was another one of these iphone games that get popular for about a month then the next one comes along. seeing as i don't have an iphone i don't take notice but can't condemn it. i knew there was a one like it in the past but as jim said it's all about plagarising for you. everyone does it. good luck to ya if you can take an idea and make it work for you

When I first heard there was a contingent of hardcore gamers out there with a serious hate for this game, I was relieved that I was not alone, because I was seriously starting to feel like I was alone.

Naturally Jim is right, though, this game is a good game if you're the type of demographic that likes it. Its right to success can not be reasonably questioned.

I have a natural aversion to mainstream games. Not because I hate what is popular, but because mainstream games tend to fall into a trapping of making a game for the audience rather than for the developer itself.

This is natural because when you're a game developer handling millions of dollars, I don't think your publisher wants you to screw around make a dream game when your objective is to make something that will sell. And that's fine, we all have to eat right? But that doesn't mean I have to buy it.

This type of thing happens all the time. Its prevalent in almost every thing ever. Physicists groan when lay men talk about string theory. Artists groan when people love Picasso. Literature enthusiast groan when books like Twilight sell a billion copies. Food connoisseurs groan when they see people eating McDonald. Gamers groan when everyone plays Angry birds and games like Portal 2, and Dues Ex don't get as much press or clout. Beer enthusiasts probably loath Anheiser Bush. Movie buffs die inside a little when the newest Transformers breaks box office records.

Get over it, when you dedicate your time and energy into something you will always have more knowledge of what is good within that particular thing. It's not up to everyone else to know this information, you know it because you spent time delving into that area. You can spend 100s of hours digging through a music store, listening to abscure online radio stations, and finding that absolute best music of a given genre. But don't get your panties in a wad when a normal person just likes the top 40 stuff they hear on the radio. They just didn't put as much time as you did into finding the very best music. I'm sure that same person could school you on the intricacies of fine knittery.

This is inspiring some thoughts about the meaning of a 'casual' game.

I'm very glad to see that people on this thread share my belief that Angry Birds is much more about luck than it is about skill, and that's one definition of a 'casual' game.

The other definition is for games like 'Tetris', where although they require vast amounts of skill and practice to master, they can still be picked up easily, played for a short time, and put down.

Another definition is that it's just very easy to understand and is non-threatening. Angry Birds, Tetris, and Farmville all meet this definition, even though Farmville doesn't meet either of the other two definitions.

I was unaware people hated angry birds, I never played it so I have no opinion on it. Informative as always Mr Sterling.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here