Jimquisition: Angry Birds Is Not Sh*t

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

for those saying that a game that rips off concepts like physics and gameplay as the factor of unoriginality then riddle me this "what about every fighting game after street fighter, what about every platformer after Mario." the general concept and game play of these games is based off an original piece of equipment but then remade with new aesthetics to make the game their own,Mortal Kombat would be a crappy street fighter wannabe if it weren't for a few touches here and there to tell you "hey you're playing Mortal Kombat" 'ripping off' is no longer something to even have as a viable excuse to say something is not deserving praise, think about more games that have taken something from another and turned out more successful than the one who they based themselves upon, i'll give you another: BioShock

My only problem with Angry Birds is why the hell should I pay for something that should be a free game on Newgrounds or any other flash site? It's basically highlight the main problem with all those silly iPhone or other mobile games. Apple and other companies are always trying to promise that their phones are gaming platforms too, and you see people promising doom for the 3DS and Vita because of iPhones, and for what? Angry Birds? Cut the Rope? Fruit Ninja? Fuck off, I'm going to go play something with substance. Not that you can't have fun with those kinds of games. They're good if you have just a few minutes to kill here or there, but that's about it. They aren't a threat to any other handheld gaming though, so if everyone could kindly stop with the "dedicated portables are doomed!" bullshit, that'd be swell.

Sober Thal:
People who hate any games are silly. Find something better to do with your time.

I'll hate downright terrible games like Okami and inFamous all I want, thank you. And it's not taking up any of my time at all, so I don't need to find something "better" to do with it.

I don't know why you made another video about a popular game being hated, you already made one of Call of Duty. The one big problem I have with popular titles is that they overshadow just about everything else. They create a sense of familiarity that keeps most gamers inside their comfort zone and never wanting to come out. See ZP review on Braid.

bringer of illumination:
Yeah, no Jim. No.

Angry Birds isn't "adapted" from Crush the Castle, it's the EXACT same game, only with a cartoon overlay and touch-screen controls. Crush the Castle doesn't play anything like Worms, and the fact that you're comparing two games that different. And saying that Worms=Crush the Castle=Angry Birds is a load fucking codswallop.

Rovio stole from a flash game maker and made millions and millions of dollars off of his work.

lolwut. well there is one MASSIVE difference between the two. the fact that rovio actually got there ass off miniclip and decided to make some fucking money. like a REAL dev team. angry birds Is a much more inventive level with some acually real challenge to it there is also the fact that it has been updated constantly since its release and even though they made a ton of sequels they still update their original version with new content for free. If crush the castle was really all that they would be making fucking money.

mjc0961:
My only problem with Angry Birds is why the hell should I pay for something that should be a free game on Newgrounds or any other flash site? It's basically highlight the main problem with all those silly iPhone or other mobile games. Apple and other companies are always trying to promise that their phones are gaming platforms too, and you see people promising doom for the 3DS and Vita because of iPhones, and for what? Angry Birds? Cut the Rope? Fruit Ninja? Fuck off, I'm going to go play something with substance. Not that you can't have fun with those kinds of games. They're good if you have just a few minutes to kill here or there, but that's about it. They aren't a threat to any other handheld gaming though, so if everyone could kindly stop with the "dedicated portables are doomed!" bullshit, that'd be swell.

Sober Thal:
People who hate any games are silly. Find something better to do with your time.

I'll hate downright terrible games like Okami and inFamous all I want, thank you. And it's not taking up any of my time at all, so I don't need to find something "better" to do with it.

I REALLY hope this is just flamebait because if it isn't ill feel very sad for you.

Ive been watching Jimquisition for a little bit now, only recently allowing myself the variety of video pleasures the Escapist has to offer. And I find myself thanking someones God....

The less I see of Jim Sterling the character and the more I see of Jim Sterling the observant, intelligent, outspoken proponent of gaming awesomeness the more I like the Jimquisition. Good episode all around, but maybe a little late in its timing.

Rack:
It's a horrible horrible game because there's no connection between what you do and what happens. It's substantially more random than even Peggle which was riding the razors edge between a game and a flashing light simulator.

XD You're an Idiot, because you've never played it.

Angry Birds is anything but random.

It's not so much that it's shit. It's that I've played about 3 flash games this week that have been more fun and yet nobody wil have heard of them.

Angry Birds is shit. It's shit because of how popular and overrated it is. The game itself is good, but not so good that it deserved the attention it got. And, as we all know, when you tell someone something overrated isn't as good as they think, they only hear the words "it's shit" which is easier to say.

i have the game.
i dont hate it, but it is kinda... shitty as games go.
its not very much fun.
the later levels very much about luck more then anything else.
i wouldnt call it a terrible game that brings on dooms day. but im glad i got the free version of it.

But we're the internet, and we have to be smarter and trendier than everyone else.

We like CoD before it was mainstream, but when it did it was the worst game ever. same goes for Nintendo; When WE were Nintendo's favorite child we adored Nintendo and every single thing they did, but when they started to look for other outlets for their affection we were betrayed and thus Nintendo became the worst company ever. We LOVED Halo, when it was just for us, but when other people got into it, "HALO WAS THE GAME THAT DESTROYED GAMING!!!"

If the common real world people like it, then it is mindless dribble, but if the masses don't understand then it is just misunderstood and we take care of it until the masses finally get it and then we push it away with a 10 foot pole with a rabid dog tied to the end.

Jim, what you need to understand is that the Internet thrives on hate. If people didn't hate stuff on the internet, the internet would starve and fade off into nothingness. It's just a part of the circle of life.

My problem is that it's jus another version of the same game I've played a million times on flash websites and then the minute the guy makes cash of his game he starts running his mouth about how games like his are better than AAA games.

angry birds is pretty shit, I've played a bit now and it's just boring.

I don't think I could call it "shit", but I can say I don't like it, mostly because I don't think the physics are actually that good, which is basically what the entire game runs on.

I can hit the same exact spot over and over again and have it do completely different stuff each time. then theres times where I hit something, and it doesnt move at all, and other times it breaks the whole fucking thing. So it feels like luck is more important then skill, and most people can't see that which is the other annoying factor. Yea theres aiming, but you might as well be playing a slot machine. And while I'm sure I'll get a hundred responces to this post with people saying "YOU'RE JUST DOING IT WRONG, L2P!" all my friends agree with me that there really is no L2P, and I think thats what makes it so popular.

Then you have buy the eagle mode thing which gives you an auto win basically? what the point of that even? might as well just not play the game then lol.

I wouldn't say the game is "shit" but I would say its overhyped and not really that good for its popularity. I wouldn't say its the downfall of all gaming, but I don't understand all the praise it gets when its such a flawed and basic game.

I also don't understand all the hate the "haters" get for anything like this though. Were instantly marked as "haters" and that we just seem to hate everything ever made. Were told we have no good reasons, then once we give reasons, we're somehow still the haters, branded a hater forever and ever for the rest of time. It's so much easier to brand someone a hater then it is to genuinely listen to their side, and in the process, being a true hater.

hypocrisy is a subtle thing I guess.

As many others here have stated; Angry Birds is shit because it is a remake of a flash game that, if iOS allowed flash, would never had cost 1$ and would never had made millions.

I hate the game because it is another example of how people will pay money for something that has been given away for free, and because they are fucking retarded they will by it over and over again with new skins.

I personally thought the game was, overall, fairly boring and pretty annoying at times. Sure, it was a hoot the first 15 minutes, but then the novelty wore off.

It works good as a timewaster while waiting for the bus to arrive, but other than that i can't really see the long-term appeal.

Disliking something because it is popular is stupid, true, but I can't stop myself from doing it anyway at times...
Why do we do that, anyway?

Yeah, Angry Birds is fine. It's great for when I have five minutes to kill in line. I get a little annoyed with the touch-screen interface at times, but that may well be as much the fault of my phone as the game's interface itself (though some way to "reset" a bird if the pull starts to go awry would certainly be appreciated.)

Still think Jim is wrong about Farmville, though.

I love Angry Birds.... Play the fuck out of it, that I do.

I only hate that stupid useless red bird. Drop an egg, blow up, kamikaze dive, boomer-rang or get the fuck outta my army.

Okay, I've sat back and watched enough of this show to finally talk about it.

1: Having your live action body recorded is unnecessary. I know everyone else here is just a disembodied voice or a cartoon that doesn't move their mouth, and you wanted to do something different. But if it doesn't really add any value or change anything, and you don't have any legitimate reason to do it, then save yourself the trouble and don't.

2: On the internet, it seems to be cool to A: think life sucks, and B: be cartoonishly self-absorbed. But of course, most of the time, people make those assumptions on people (or themselves) unfairly.
We all know that Yahtzee is not cynical, right? He's what you call 'extremely critical', which is a good thing. And I hope you can tell he's not egotistical either, eh? He just doesn't hesitate to congratulate himself for the things he actually has accomplished.
Outside of that, his 'I'm cynical and egotistical' routine is just a funny gag he likes to play.

Then when MovieBob arrived, the 'I'm cynical and egotistical' gag got a new dark twist. In that Bob really is cynical and egotistical. Like holy shit, I feel really bad for him.

But nowwwww, here comes Jim Sterling. He seems to be mostly focusing on the 'self-absorbed' side of the act. And my God, it is so fake. It is so forced. It is SO cheap! Clearly, he spent less than a day developing his on-screen persona. Speaking of which...

3: I thought everyone agreed wearing sunglasses indoors was an automatic douche-descriptive.

4: You set your opening to the first random song you saw on your iPod? Really?? Is it 2006??

5: You talk so slow! Now, one can't help if their own voice is a problem, so this isn't a real major knock against you, but it's annoying when the previously-mentioned Bob and Yahtzee can effortlessly crank out words at the speed of thought, and even the Unskippable boys can get out jokes within very small timing restraints, but you make it sound like it hurts every time you open your mouth. You endlessly stumble over your own words. A journal/blog would be better for you.

6: This episode is ridiculous. Hardcore gamers don't like angry birds? WHAT hardcore gamers? We all know that SOME do, because every opinion possible is contained within the internet. Some hardcore gamers like to drink piss. Some hardcore gamers have split personality disorder. So what should we do about that? Make a video on the Escapist about how piss is unhealthy to drink? And should the next one be referring everybody to a psychiatrist?
The point is, I like Angry Birds, my brother likes Angry Birds, I've never once talked to a gamer who didn't like Angry Birds, lots and lots of gamers like Angry goddamn Birds. So why make a video defending it like this, acting like you're some tiny resistance fighting for truth?
In the following regard, you actually ARE like Movie Bob; you scan the internet until you find a few people with an opinion you disagree with, then make a video all about how that opinion is wrong.
I know there is some value in this. I know it can make for constructive conversation. But your show hardly gets that far. In this one instance, that's because...

7: This episode is also a complete re-tread of your Call of Duty show! I'm sure you're fully aware of that, but goddamn. You pretty much just replaced "Call of Duty" with "Angry Birds", then added that brief sidebar of 'idea development' and 'the thing the developer has said in the past'. This isn't good showmanship, nor is it good journalizm.

8: In fact, you never seem to say anything that isn't already well-known or completely obvious overall.

In conclusion: The Jimquisition would be okay for Youtube, but it's not the kind of quality I expect from The Escapist. The one nice thing I will say is, the pictures in the slideshow are sometimes pretty funny.

DustyDrB:
Are there that many people really hating the game? I've missed it. You defended your case well, Jim, but is the opposition really so substantial? Maybe it's because I've just not played Angry Birds (no hate here, just disinterest in those kind games in general. I don't think it is available on my phone anyway).

ZZoMBiE13:
People hate on Angry Birds? Seriously?

It's a fun little app game. What's the problem?

People saying that "no one" hates Angry Birds should look at some of the other comments in this very own thread. Of course, it's not always expressed as "hate". "It's not original!" or other rationalizations are often used.

Active Schizophrenic:
lolwut. well there is one MASSIVE difference between the two. the fact that rovio actually got there ass off miniclip and decided to make some fucking money. like a REAL dev team. angry birds Is a much more inventive level with some acually real challenge to it there is also the fact that it has been updated constantly since its release and even though they made a ton of sequels they still update their original version with new content for free. If crush the castle was really all that they would be making fucking money.

Exactly. You can't copyright ideas, only the expression of ideas. Where I'm from, seeing someone else's idea, refining and improving it, expressing it in your own fashion and making money off of it is called "capitalism working the way it's supposed to". It's in every industry, and especially creative ones. If you don't like the end product, don't give them your money.

lancar:
I personally thought the game was, overall, fairly boring and pretty annoying at times. Sure, it was a hoot the first 15 minutes, but then the novelty wore off.

It works good as a timewaster while waiting for the bus to arrive, but other than that i can't really see the long-term appeal.

But that's all a smartphone game has to do. Smartphones aren't platforms for hardcore gamers, they are for people who want to kill a few minutes here and there while commuting, waiting for an appointment, and so on. And for that market, Angry Birds is an almost perfect game as Jim noted.

Angry Birds and all those other popular iphone games aren't shit, but they aren't really games either. They are $1 distractions, well worth your money good $1 distractions, but nothing more. I don't sit at home and choose to play angry birds instead of watch Tv or brows the net. Angry Birds is just to kill time at the dentist's office or work breaks. It's not an experience like Mass Effect or Skyrim, it's not trying to be. If you compare it to those games, then yeah, angry birds is shit, and I think that's the problem. The developers who make these distractions like to compare their stuff to actual games (and go as far as to say their stuff will replace real games one day). That makes people also compared iphone games to real games, thats why people say angry birds is stupid.

You have to remember that an iphone game and an xbox game are two different forms of entertainment, and they both fill specific nitches in our lives the other cannot.

tautologico:

DustyDrB:
Are there that many people really hating the game? I've missed it. You defended your case well, Jim, but is the opposition really so substantial? Maybe it's because I've just not played Angry Birds (no hate here, just disinterest in those kind games in general. I don't think it is available on my phone anyway).

ZZoMBiE13:
People hate on Angry Birds? Seriously?

It's a fun little app game. What's the problem?

People saying that "no one" hates Angry Birds should look at some of the other comments in this very own thread. Of course, it's not always expressed as "hate". "It's not original!" or other rationalizations are often used.

Well, there's always hate for a game. Even in these comments (which are bound to attract more haters than average given it's nature) I'm not seeing that much of it. Is there hate? Yes, and there always will be no matter what. I'm sure some people even hate grilled cheese sandwiches (the monsters). But is it really a substantial amount of people?

I don't hate Angry Birds, but I do find it a very boring game (and I never played Crush the Castle and shit) Honestly, I would rather tend to my Fish who're always close to dying on my Fish app.

Anyway, nice video, I'm kinda warming to you.

I'm not a fan of the game by a long shot. I just lack the patience to play the game constantly and get aggravated with it all to easily.

But that doesn't mean I don't see the appeal to it. It's cute, with simple gameplay and an even more simple premise. And God knows it's like crack for game completionists.

DustyDrB:
Well, there's always hate for a game. Even in these comments (which are bound to attract more haters than average given it's nature) I'm not seeing that much of it. Is there hate? Yes, and there always will be no matter what. I'm sure some people even hate grilled cheese sandwiches (the monsters). But is it really a substantial amount of people?

Dusty, you at least have to accept that it is completely possible to put too much cheese in the sandwich, rendering it disgusting.

UltraHammer:

DustyDrB:

Dusty, you at least have to accept that it is completely possible to put too much cheese in the sandwich, rendering it disgusting.

Nay! The cheddar show overfloweth! Thus commands the Big Cheese!

Agreed. My love of Angry Birds does not undermine my feelings of other "hardcore"/"non-casual" games in any way. There's no such thing as a casual gaming dichotomy.

UltraHammer:

DustyDrB:

Lulwut?
That's a terrible analogy, you can't have too much cheese o.0
You only have 'too much' cheese when you can't pick up the sandwich, but even then that isn't "too much" cheese, it's "too little" bread.

ANYWAY!

I've always hated the HYPE of Angry Birds... never actually played the game but I think I'd enjoy it.
I mostly just hate ignorant people who will go onto the comments page of games that predated Angry Birds and call it an "ANGRY BIRDS CLONE!!!!!".
And in the end I don't even think you can call "angry birds" a clone either, the style of game easily has enough entries to have its own subgenre.

No, the game isn't shit. However, it does take a toll on my phone's battery. I'll just stick to using my PSP as a game device and my phone as a news browser/texting machine.

SoulSalmon:
I've always hated the HYPE of Angry Birds... never actually played the game but I think I'd enjoy it.
I mostly just hate ignorant people who will go onto the comments page of games that predated Angry Birds and call it an "ANGRY BIRDS CLONE!!!!!".
And in the end I don't even think you can call "angry birds" a clone either, the style of game easily has enough entries to have its own subgenre.

Yes, having played the game on Google Chrome (which is free, by the way! =O) I identified two things that make it good and are probably the whole reason why it is so big.

1: The gameplay is engaging. The physics must be the best of any game in this genre. It's not a new kind of game, but it's the first one to do a really good job, as far as I can see. Every time you miss a pig, you get the feeling that you missed it. And when you kill a pig, you feel like it was your skill and focus that made it happen. In both cases, the game simply sat back and did its job; letting you play it.

2: The presentation is unforgettable. A lot of games these days are adopting the 'cartoony' art style, but most of the time, it's too lazy to be engaging or interesting. For example, that new Rayman sidescroller that was at e3? Nothing bad to say about the gameplay, but the visual aesthetic was lousy.
Birds, on the other hand, actually has a style, and a damn good one. Going back to Rayman again, the birds really remind you of the rabbids, don't they? The basic concept is the same: "crazy animal that constantly blabs gibberish". And the rabbids were cool, but the birds are awesome. They were all carefully and expertly designed to guarantee that you will love them.
Furthermore, I like how they make the enemies a lovable cartoon stereotype as well. Reminds me of what people love about the Kirby series.

I've never enjoyed Angry Birds. Not because everyone plays it, not because it's popular, but because compared to many other better mobile games, it's boring as shit. There's nothing special to it.

Jim Grim:
Where are all these people talking shit about Angry Birds? I've not seen anyone talking like this.

Anything.... ANYTHING.... AN-Y-THING popular will have people trying to set themselves apart and feel superior by hating it irrationally.

Hang on, where exactly are all these people who hate Angry Birds?

Because I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything bad about the game, either on the internet or in real life.

EDIT: Never mind. Just read the rest of this comment thread. Point taken.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here