Jimquisition: Angry Birds Is Not Sh*t

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Zhukov:
Hang on, where exactly are all these people who hate Angry Birds?

Because I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything bad about the game, either on the internet or in real life.

EDIT: Never mind. Just read the rest of this comment thread. Point taken.

Funny. I was stopping by to say just this.

another excellent video, but I think you are setting up a straw man here

(note I'm not bothering to read the rest of the comments to see if the straw man has an account here)

in real life I haven't heard anything except praise for angry birds, even if some of it is grudging

the worst criticism I heard is that the expansions or sequels aren't anything new, which is true, but that isn't random spiteful derision

tautologico:

DustyDrB:
Are there that many people really hating the game? I've missed it. You defended your case well, Jim, but is the opposition really so substantial? Maybe it's because I've just not played Angry Birds (no hate here, just disinterest in those kind games in general. I don't think it is available on my phone anyway).

ZZoMBiE13:
People hate on Angry Birds? Seriously?

It's a fun little app game. What's the problem?

People saying that "no one" hates Angry Birds should look at some of the other comments in this very own thread. Of course, it's not always expressed as "hate". "It's not original!" or other rationalizations are often used.

Sure, I could do that. Or I could NOT spend part of my afternoon sifting through the bile of internet strangers. :)

Angry Birds is a good game that is fun, well balanced, and easy to play. It contains a perfect balance between giving the player a lot of control through the touch screen, yet still creating tension when trying to complete a level through limited shots, but all the while not penalizing a wrong move too much so you want to try again (letting you restart levels straight away and not sending you back to the very start).

What is shit is the art direction and sound design. The sound design in particular is incredibly shit and more than annoying. It made me instantly hate the game.I had to play it for a while with the sound turned off before I could accept the game was actually good.

Crush the castle had much better sound design but wasn't as polished with the level design. There's nothing stopping the Crush the Castle guys re-releasing their game with redesigned controls. I'd buy it.

Impressive, Jim. Your first video was awful, with insulting commentary, an overabundance of obscene jokes, and an argument overblown to the point of complete inaccuracy. But since then you've made great points and refined your persona to amusingly arrogant rather than insultingly overbearing. This was no exception.

Wow, I just realized that Jim is cleverly turning the tide on the hipsters....in order to be a COOL hipster you now must like Angry Birds, Modern Warfare and...well....if he does a show about how WoW is genuinely good, then I think I can safely say I know his EVIL SCHEME!!!!

Well played!

(and if you're not a hipster...like me....what the hell are you supposed like...and hate...now????)

I would like Angry Birds if I had it installed on my girlfriend's iPhone but from where I stand, I've only ever played Crush the Castle and a few of the other clones you can find for free on Newgrounds. I like the genre and can see AB turning into our generation's Space Invader's or, Tempest.

SvenBTB:
Shesh. This isn't going to help anyone's opinion of Jim Sterling. Seriously? "Angry Birds it not shit?" as an episode? Well yea, no SHIT (no pun intended), everyone plays it, gamers and "non-gamers" alike. That's like saying "Cereal IS edible!" Way to contribute, Jim. Your show, unlike Angry Birds, IS still shit.

I don't even have to watch the damn thing to know how shit it is. I only had to watch the first one, and look at all the subsequent episodes titles ALONE to know it's utter shit.

Jim:

And people really shouldn't slack it off without knowing what the fuuuu~ck they're talking about.

Jim has you covered, dude. The quote fits your entire message perfectly.

i love angry birds, portal, and any game for that matter that my mother will play because if i can get her to become a gamer then im one step closer to being not ridiculed for playing games

hell my mother is even thinking of buying a ipad because her friend has one and she likes the games on it

btw anyone else get enjoyment from getting their parents to use the same forms of entertainment as you use because my sister and I got my mother to actually enjoy anime and its a gorgeous thing to come in the house and find her alone watching full metal alchemist

Oh! On topic: I've seen some hate on Angry Birds as I see on pretty much every popular casual game. I've never minded it. I mean.........I was gonna get it before my iPod went to poo. >_> That said, I didn't think putting a group of hardcore gamers together would cause foaming of the mouth. I mean, if anything, most would say Angry Birds is alright?

Angry Birds = good

Rovio = ego swelled to about twice the size of the entire universe.

Aprilgold:
Soo, this is a news report? Hell, why should I bother, I WANT MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK!
Damn me and wanting to give him a chance.

Now seriously? Every single Jimquisition there's a crowd of people that post the same exact kind of comment, only to return a couple of videos later and repeat themselves? Are you guys on rotation? Just so you know though, usually you give something a chance one time, not 10. And I don't know what you're expecting from a video with Jim Sterling in it, because the way you act with disdain wanting "your minutes of your life back" baffles me.

Seriously the only reason I bothered joining The Escapist forums was because sadly I can't access Destructoid anymore. I've found this community to be incredibly tedious, predictable and BORING.

Aidinthel:
My mother actually couldn't understand Angry Birds. That was the point at which I gave up trying to get her into games.

Hahahaha, that made me laugh. My own mother is like that too, absolutely hopeless and unwilling to try to even understand a game.

I personally love the game, and can't wait for more levels, or maybe a sequel.

JustaGigolo:
If anything, it's just proof that you can take an unoriginal idea, and make a shit ton of cash with it.

Well, technically Minecraft beat it to to punch in that respect.

Crush the castle is a lot better.

Jim, I can't stand your personality, but I have to admit, you make some good points. I hate liking your show.

...How is it shit? It's well done, with a fine aesthetic, great and simple mechanics, and perfect for what it is--a time passer. There's not great artistic or gameplay achievements, but if you're standing in line, it's a great way to wait it out. Then, if you're inclined to, you can come home and play a much larger, more involving game. Or, hey, more Angry Birds, while waiting for some of them to load/install/update. Because it's a bit of fun, and enough to pass some time. But, it's not enough to really get you worked up about, or worth more than the few dollars they charge for it.

Angry Birds and other games in the genre are shit. The gameplay mechanics are extremely shallow.

Sure, there are other games that does what Angry Birds does either better or worse. However being popular does justify resentment. There are plenty of other games that are worse, but nobody cares about them.

Fenix7:

Aidinthel:
My mother actually couldn't understand Angry Birds. That was the point at which I gave up trying to get her into games.

Hahahaha, that made me laugh. My own mother is like that too, absolutely hopeless and unwilling to try to even understand a game.

She tries, but she's just so bad at games. And not just the video kind, either. Board games, card games, anything with the slightest complexity just throws her off completely.

*shudders at memories of playing Settlers of Cataan with mother and grandparents*
Never again...

I've never played Angry Birds but I can see the appeal. However as even said in this video, the remarks by the developers on the industry are... well; naive, arrogant and clouded considering having made just one successful game - that apparently is enough to make you an expert on the entire history and trend on the gaming industry worldwide...

...basically the game seems to be a "sins of the father" type scenario.

Holy shit. Did hell just freeze over or something because I never ever thought i would actually agree with Jim on anything. All of the previous episodes that I have watched have been utter shite in my opinion with terrible points half of which are outright lies. This one however is actually good.

ydkwidrmw:
Angry Birds and other games in the genre are shit. The gameplay mechanics are extremely shallow.

Sure, there are other games that does what Angry Birds does either better or worse. However being popular does justify resentment. There are plenty of other games that are worse, but nobody cares about them.

You call them shallow but they are still deeper then any FF game, Assassins creed, bioshock, gears, god of war, and many many many other games. I hate to tell you but something being popular never ever a good reason to justify resentment.

It's boring, that's it. Don't like it.

Angry Birds is an alright game. The guys that made it are pricks, way too caught up their own success to give credit where credit is due in the manner of, "Hey, we didn't actually CREATE this type of game, we just made it palatable on today's smartphones," but, I digress.

Angry Birds is kind of like the HALO: Combat Evolved of the smart phone gaming world. It didn't really do anything significantly new, it just took something that had already been successful and made it work for a specific type of platform.

Besides, when it comes to simple, pick-up-and-play, mindless fun on a smartphone, everyone with half a brain knows that Fruit Ninja is the best. : )

Dammit, Jim. DAMN IT.

You win.

I'm watching this every week, now. Thank God for you.

You smug bastard. ;)

The real issue with Angry Birds is how many people (such as you yourself, Mr. Sterling) trumpet the iPhone as being able to destroy/cripple Sony and Nintendo's portable offerings based on Angry Bird's (as well as other iPhone titles') success. Most iPhone games are simply too casual compared to the average game on the more hardcore portable systems to really be targeted towards the same audience. Saying "Angry Birds is sh*t" is simply hyperbole meant to emphasize the point that Angry Birds doesn't much at all to entice gamers who are looking for a deeper and more engaging experience.

I have never hated a game because it was popular. I have hated games that are popular and every other company take an already established game and modify its already established mechanics to emulate the popular game in an attempt to garner the same financial success. A-La Call of Duty. I do not hate the game because I do not enjoy it nor will I make it so another cannot enjoy, I just really hate how other companies are modifying their games to be more like it to try and steal its sales. It is not because it is popular but rather other companies are fucking trying to remake the exact same thing without trying to innovate.

I wouldn't say angry birds is threatening or that its killing gaming or whatever, but shit? Yeah I would go as far as to say shit. There are better games, and better casual games for that matter, on the iphone. Hell I could play better games on newgrounds for free. Maybe a game that's essentially built around knocking over blocks doesn't appeal to me as much as something like "Infinity Blade" does, but regardless, I still think it's pretty shit. Jim's basically saying that if you don't compare angry birds to anything, it's a good game because it works as what it is, but when judging quality comparison is pretty much unavoidable, and angry birds doesn't even hold up when compared to games in its own league, let alone games on actual gaming platforms.

The developers of Angry Birds were simply smarter or lucky, or both. While I enjoy Crush the Castle more and am one of those people who feels far too pragmatic to invest in a smart phone which costs money for everything you do (I just want a phone that can call and send messengers, think of me as you will) I do however understand Angry Birds earned its success on their choice of mechanics, characters, platform and style.

Good on you Angry Birds, you did well. However I admit I am one of those people who naturally get annoyed every time I hear "Oh I just got Angry Birds on my phone! Its so good!" I am sorry Jim but shit, we have a right to get annoyed when we think something is actually over-rated, particularly when you hear it so many times. Some people will dislike my comment here but, its like hearing people get excited over another Halo installment when I was done with it by the second game.

In all honesty, the game isn't groundbreaking or successful on its own merits, putting smart phone standards into consideration as well. But they sold it well so kudos to them. Something like Minecraft more likely deserves the popularity it got, thanks to its innovation.

I've never played Angry Birds because I neither have nor want a touch screen phone so I can't speak to its mechanics. On the other hand I do wish it would stop being talked about EVERYWHERE. There have been plenty of other good games with great mechanics but this one is the only one to get any real recognition on TV, and while a game getting recognition on TV is good, the fact that it is only one pisses me off.

Other than that somewhat tangential point, I agree with almost every point Jim made except one; one that Jim has brought up before that will never stop being contentious. Call of Duty is not a good franchise; even within the FPS genre Call of Duty is shovelware and in a genre that repeats the most mechanics and colour palettes (not to say that there aren't unique and interesting in various different ways) that is saying something. They haven't added any intriguing mechanics or weapons in ages and since the success of their Zombie Nazi mini-game that's all they've released. Call of Duty's games may be well-designed basic shooters but they are all the same well designed basic shooter.

I think I would still rather play worms.

But yeah I don't think people hate the game itself, just the people that say it's a good/ great game.

Furrama:
I can't afford a smart phone so... yeah. Most people can't, and those of us who could get a console can't have both. I'm sure the game is wonderful, but is it worth all the extra money monthly?

Monthly? The games only $1
Also, the game is also free on the Google Chrome app store ^-^

OT: I don't get the hate ether. I played Crush the Castle before Angry Birds and I have to say; yes it borrows elements of Crush the Castle, but to say that they're close to the same game shows one has no knowlege in how Angry Birds plays out. The differences isn't even solely in visuals ether.
I mean in Crush The Castle, you get simply more powerful ammo when you progress the game, while Angry Birds (later in the game) gives you a set number of birds per level which all do different things and you have to use them in a set order, giving it a layer of puzzle on top of Crush The Castle's timing and positioning test.

Fenix7:

Aprilgold:
Soo, this is a news report? Hell, why should I bother, I WANT MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK!

Now seriously? Every single Jimquisition there's a crowd of people that post the same exact kind of comment, only to return a couple of videos later and repeat themselves? Are you guys on rotation? Just so you know though, usually you give something a chance one time, not 10. And I don't know what you're expecting from a video with Jim Sterling in it, because the way you act with disdain wanting "your minutes of your life back" baffles me.

Seriously the only reason I bothered joining The Escapist forums was because sadly I can't access Destructoid anymore. I've found this community to be incredibly tedious, predictable and BORING.

Aidinthel:

Why can't you access Dtoid? That would make me sad. Johnathan Holmes is the man.

lemby117:
I notice that Jim has decided that if you dislike something popular that you are "an Idiot" I'm sure he thinks worse of us but i'm on orange health and I feel like staying on the escapist so I won't use the language he would use to describe us. problem is I don't like COD and I don't like angry birds and thats because I hate how they are treated as the pinacle of gaming when actualy there just hard to stop playing and that "one more level BS" does not equal quality

I like this guy, he says my words for me!

DustyDrB:

Fenix7:

Aprilgold:

Aidinthel:

Why can't you access Dtoid? That would make me sad. Johnathan Holmes is the man.

The country I currently live in (Iran) has blocked Destructoid.com :(.

And yeaaah Holmes was cool. But my favourites were Chad Concelmo and Dale North.

Fenix7:

DustyDrB:

Fenix7:

The country I currently live in (Iran) has blocked Destructoid.com :(.

And yeaaah Holmes was cool. But my favourites were Chad Concelmo and Dale North.

Sounds like your country needs Anonymous.

OT: The problem with angry birds is that Crush the Castle is the exact same thing except it's free. Why do people pay for the clone of a freely available game?

The game itself doesn't annoy me.
It definitely isn't a bad game.
It is a good game with some great entertainment value.

However, I am annoyed with people who praise it as an unbelievable game that is amazingly amazing in all of it's existence. (usually casual gamers)
It's just good...and it's been done loads of time before...
it isn't the second coming of Jesus.
And to be honest I think Plants Vs. Zombies provides more entertainment for a longer period of time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here