Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

vrbtny:

Inkidu:

vrbtny:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.

Sigh, if only you could silence a revolver that wasn't some obscure Belgian model...

Wait wha-? Silencing a revolver destroys half of the point of using one. That's like silencing a shotgun, cutting off eargasms.

I know but they look so cool and I can't really bring myself to have my characters grab the inventory upgrades a lot of the time. I'll admit though that freaking shotgun gave me shivers. Best gun in HR as far as I'm concerned.

I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.

G. K. Chesterton is wonderful, but I rather think that the Marxian-influenced critique of history and the individual's role in it underlying The Witcher still counts as philosophy. Still, glad to hear that Deus Ex meets with a certain amount of approval.

Can't help feeling he only mentioned the ability to slip past bosses because he's heard that it's exactly what you can't do in Human Revolution... even if he said he knows nothing about HR.

I wanted orange, but it gave me lemon-lime!

Fantastic episode. I'm a weekly watcher but this is the first in a long time where I've been genuinely impressed by the densely packed, laugh-out-loud humour.

So many great references but "I exist to ruin holidays" and the Ion storm creation myth are standouts for me.

I was hoping he'd sing his Deus Ex theme he sang back in Guitar Hero World Tour. But at least he referenced it in the end credits.

He is going to tear Human Revolution appart.

It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.

TitanAura:
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it.

Re-read the title

I was hoping he'd sing his Deus Ex theme he sang back in Guitar Hero World Tour. But at least he referenced it in the end credits.

could not get in this game when it came out. my friend got it and we tried it out and this game just dint grab me. the controls felt awkward.... i just could not get in to it.
after few hours i just had enough of this game.
i never got my self part 2 and i highly doubt i will get HR.

To be fair, Deus Ex has a difficulty curve that goes something like "batshit insane hard first mission because you don't know what to do, and you're a gimp". Then it actually gets good, real good. The rocket launcher actually blows people up. Even bosses can't take a rocket in the face and laugh it off. It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.

After a while, you start to notice the way you like to play. Personally, I liked sneaking, assassinating and sabotaging, and having a kick ass rocket launcher to kill bosses with.

So, now that I've said enough about Deus ex, lets talk about DE:HR. It is an 8.5 of 10 game. It could have been a 10.0 in my book if they hadn't fucked it up.

Their Alpha tester failed so hard. Really really hard. I'll list the faults from minor to major.
1: Megan Reed's mother twitches so frickin much you'd think she was on a mix of amphetamine and cocaine.
2: They kept the stupid laser sight on sniper bug that makes the sniper miss when you attach it, because the aim goes for the laser, which you can't see on your scope... Yeah, that's something they copied from Deus Ex...
3: Hacking becomes really tedious quite fast. They made WAY TOO MANY things to hack.
4: The weapons' damage output is unbalanced. The silenced pistol is basically the most powerful weapon after the grenades/frag mines. EMP is also incredibly powerful. It's harder to kill people with a minigun than with a silenced pistol ffs.
5: Bosses can take 100 bullets from a minigun in the body/head, without dying... And they can step on 4 frag mines. (I played it on normal difficulty)
6: The energy system is so stupid it hurts. You can only regen 1 bar, and everything except minor augs need 1 energy bar, so you will be stuck on the first energy bar until you pop a refill, which aren't that abundant. This should have been avoided by adding the number of energy bars being recharged with the upgrade system. Instead they made all energy requiring augs a pain in the ass to use.

* the next ones can ruin the experience for you. Read at own risk.

7: An important role's voice actor (won't spoil it) really did a shitty job, so did the script writer for that scene. You'll understand if you go for the silver tongue style at the end.

But, the biggest fault lies deeper. They did not understand Deus Ex at all. They did really not understand what made it great. The story is linearized in the bad way. It lacks the political depth the old game had. And it made the assumption that the gamer is a stupid twat. Really * spoiler alert * just get to the second visit to Heng'sha and see the scene where EVERYONE gets the exact same Augmentation error AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME.

The story is too straight forward, and there are cutscenes that implement the "plot continuing stupid action" that is so often used. I am talking about having gone through 8 floors full of guards, assassinating half of them, all unseen, getting to the target, and then go soft and hesitate to shoot the bitch in the knee. WHAT THE FUCK. This is what Deus Ex did well. They didn't make cutscenes that forced you to do stupid stuff just to continue the plot.

It is obvious that the people at the very top of this game didn't know what Deus Ex 1 really was, but some of the ones in the midrange of the corp did. It does a whole lot very well, it has researched a lot of the technology and research done in this field, but it just gets too obvious that there are too many people without the vision of making something that pushes the envelope in all aspects that games usually avoid.

Had it not been Deus Ex, it would have been a good game that touched into fields few dare touch, but considering what they based themselves on, they really did not do well.

Exterminas:

It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.

Isn't that more or less exactly what everyone said about Invisible War when it first came out?

I'm waiting till human revolution is on steam sale because I heard it has a good story but I don't think it can stand up to the original.

DE1 had huge open levels and that was one of the major drawbacks of invisible war. The level size was limited by the puny memory of the first xbox.

It also had immersion, you could pick up a basketball and just spend time doing free throws.

It had limited resources so you had to make hard decisions both in building your character and in resource use. It didn't have puzzles so much as problems that you solved in character. It had role-playing not for in game reward but for player satisfaction. In DE1 when I was escaping from UNATCO I did it 100% non-lethal, because these were my former friends and colleagues who are just doing their job. Where as I didn't think twice about mowing down waves of MJ12 agents.

Modern games just don't have that kind of replayability because developers hate "wasting" resources on portions of the game some players might not see.

Lono Shrugged:

TitanAura:
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it.

Re-read the title

Oh... whoops. My mind sort of skipped that detail for some reason.

While I enjoyed Human Revolution very much and IMO it really shines in the story(-telling) department (without too many 'cameos' from the original), Yahtzee is going to tear it apart on the gameplay side. No firearm skills or any skills for that matter, cover-based shooting (though I'd argue it comes more in handy for stealthing, which might be worse), regenerating health and bioelectricity...
Plus the gameplay side felt a bit depth-less occasionally. Not enough to be a big problem but every now and then it felt that there were only two specializations: combat and stealth, instead of the promised hacking and social specializations too.

No making fun of the French terrorists? Well I'll let it pass this time Yahtzee.

thethingthatlurks:
Oh, an interesting review of one of the best games of all times. It's funny, the story of Deus Ex should be terrible. You have multiple conspiracies, genetic experimentation, Illuminati, the UN, the chinese mafia, corporations, etc, but it all makes sense! That's what makes the game so great, at least in my view.

Deus Ex is sort of like NOLF - both went all out and managed to pull it together. NOLF was more overtly a parody, which did give it some more cushion, but Deus Ex just managed to play the parody with a straight face.

It was with a whimsical bit of irony that just as Yahtzee was talking about RPG elements such as lockpicking skill, a popup for Neverwinter showed up at the bottom of the video. Or was that planned? I can never tell. Maybe it's subliminal advertising.

I bought the original Deus Ex and played it for the first time only when it was on sale on Steam for its 10th anniversary. I'd heard a lot of really good things about it, but while I expected it to be good, I thought most of that was probably just nostalgia on the part of people talking who'd played it back when it was released.

I was wrong. Despite the fact that it was 10 years old and I was playing it for the first time, it still blew me away. The graphics are pretty much the only part of it that's aged to any great degree and I honestly stopped being bothered by them after the first level or so. It's a brilliant game, and definitely one of the best I've ever played.

I'm looking forward to the Human Revolution review next week. Personally, I thought it lived up to the legacy of the original, but it'll be interesting to see Yahtzee's take on it. I can see him complaining about the boss fights, and maybe the omnipresent chest-high cover.

I always hoped that he'll do a review for my favorite game. It was good but I was expecting more.
The same feeling I got when playing DXHR.

Squilookle:

Exterminas:

Isn't that more or less exactly what everyone said about Invisible War when it first came out?

Yes. And that is exactly the reason why most people considered Invisible War to be crap.
But even invisible war had more freedom than Human Revolution.

My personal theory to why Human Revolution is hailed as such a great game is that it is the first Deus Ex that got marketed to consoles in a vast amount.

Of course I am not trying to claim that console players are retards or something like that, but I figure that amongst console players the chance of getting a Deus-Ex-Virgin is the highest. Resulting in a lack of comparison.

You get no slithering on lips, in fact you don't get any say in the matter. Instead you hide in the corner for a bit and move on.

Yahtzee, I wish you luck with Human Resources.

PS: Keep an eye out for the room that looks like it was flour bombed!

I really liked Human Revolution. I found the story, themes (cyberpunk renaissance), characters and gameplay to all be of very high quality. I sill haven't played the original (I was only 7 at the time of it's release date) but I think I might download it of steam soon.

A little side note but, Human Revolution reminded me of Ghost in the Shell so much. This is a good thing. Ghost in the Shell is my favourite anime.

Finally someone points out the correct pronunciation of the title. I know it is evil of me, but a part of me cringes every time I hear "Doose" Ex and a second little part of me loses a smidge of respect from the person whose mouth uttered those words. Alright, I lose a lot of respect.

Completely agree with the retro-review. I remember when Deus Ex initially came out and I had fortunately befriended an upper-class schoolmate a couple of years previously (i.e. he could afford a good computer). Playing it for the first time was intense. Definitely one of those memorable moments when you think, "This is different, this sets the bar."

Tinybear:

5: Bosses can take 100 bullets from a minigun in the body/head, without dying... And they can step on 4 frag mines. (I played it on normal difficulty)

I chose "Give me Deus Ex", and the third 'boss' tanked literally 200 minigun (modded for max capacity and damage) rounds in the head like nobody's business.

Thankfully, if you ran around enough, you could actually quicksave on that one.

Here's my full comments on the game

A note about anti-depressants: most of them have a slightly-rare side effect of "increases thoughts of suicide." So, even though you're slightly happier, you'll think about killing yourself. Ah, drugs...

I've got to say, fuck these stupid interstitial ads. And yes that's vaguely off topic.

They start a few seconds after the video starts, and completely mess with full screen playback. Either start them at the start, or don't screw with the user experience so badly, please. Preferably both.

If you don't get what is the text at the end about, watch his review of Guitar Hero World Tour, and wait through the end.

Also, few days ago I just like Yahtz have installed Deux Ex, and it's very playable (after you download 2 gigabytes of community fixes and mods).

I've spent about 10 to 15 hours watching TV in the last two weeks... this is an amazing amount of TV for me.

And less than half of it was documentaries!

That's almost unheard of for me.

CrankyStorming:
Wait, so the tags list a PS2 port, but the description doesn't? Consistency Is Nice, I thought Yahtzee knew as much.

Yeah I thought that was odd seeing how I have the PS2 port in my desk drawer :D.

Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?

DominicxD:

Quote from the video that I found funny
Game that came out recently that I want him to review
He is so right about x

Okay people, try posting something that isn't any of the above and stop shitting this website up so much.

I didn't realize we'd dropped down to youtube's level -.-' ...apparently we have.

Seeing as i was just between 7-8 years old when the original came out i never actually played it, and after hearing about the bugs and character models i don't think i will. Hopefully it won't matter to the story too much when i pick up Human Revolution.

leviadragon99:
Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?

This health system used to be quite widely adapted - even Unreal Tournament from 99' used a variation of it.

I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

If HR proves to be this good until the very end, I shall call "better" on it.

Considering the pedestal upon which he placed the first Portal, this game could potentially be an experience equated with celestial voyage through the cosmic seas to the sounds of his favourite Beatles albums and John Romero being strangled to death, but it would still not live up to what he appears to percieve as the zenith of PC gaming. He may very well like the game but he'll never admit to it coming close to the original, though it will be interesting to hear what he says nonetheless.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here