Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Back in its day, it was right up there with Thief, Baldur's Gate and Fallout for being able to accomplish missions different ways with varying consequences and that's something that really added fun to this game.

Granted, every criticism he had of this game was valid, and Deus Ex certainly wasn't without its warts. On the other hand, it had all the elements of a great game put together properly and that's why to this day, it gets an honorable mention in my book for an awesome game.

okay now I'm really excited to see his reaction to Human Revolution :]

Deus Ex, from everything I've heard in the past few years, has really gotten me interested. okay so I saw my friend playing it on his laptop and it looked ugly, but I've been playing movie games for laughs recently so think I'm used to ugly visuals...meaning if the gameplay is soliddd then whoooo

Yeah I don't like the original Deus Ex all that much. I tried to like it, more than once, even when it originally came out and the graphics didn't seem so atrocious. I think the biggest problem with it it's that it's just not very compelling in the first few hours. There was nothing in the game that kept me wanting to go back to it (that, and the tranquilizer darts gun pissed me off exactly because of what Yahtzee said). And I quite like RPGs, even more so at the time.

And it's not the graphics. Last year I replayed the original Half-Life and Fallout 1 and 2 and still found them to be a blast.

Now, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is another story and I'm liking it a lot. I feel it is the Deus Ex experience I wanted to have at the time, but couldn't get because I found the first hours of the original game kinda boring.

Exterminas:
It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.

Speak for yourself.

I played the original Deus Ex back in the day, and I still find Human Revolution to be better in every single way.

It's certainly not perfect, but the flaws are few and far between.

I've waited for DeusEx:HR for a long time but half way through the game, I'm completely dissapointed. So here's my 0.02 dollars:

Tip 1: the all mighty Silencer. If you expect to be able to buy it from the store, get your ass on google and make sure you find out where it is in the game. Otherwise, you'll miss all of them. Like I almost did.

Tip 2: Don't spend weapon upgrades in anything but the Heavy Rifle and the 10 mm pistol. And only keep EMP grenades (and a few frags for the first boss). Everything else is useless.

I play the game on the hardest difficulty and the firefights are tough. Especially the bosses. But the AI is so bloody stupid that a big firefight is hard to find in this game. The experience you get from killing is a sad joke. Consider these tactics:

1. stealth your way in the base, bypass every enemy... no exp, except for the "ghost" achievement.
2. knock out every enemy, one by one, keep them alive, you get 50 exp per enemy, plus the "ghost" achiev.
3. silently kill every enemy by cutting them with a blade (30 exp) or shooting them in the head with a silenced weapon (20 exp), and you again get "ghost".
4. shoot every enemy with a rocket launcher then carefully move your ass 5 meters around the corner and wait for the guards to say the famous last words "all quiet now, nobody here", then repeat. You again get 20 exp per body and the freakin "ghost" achiev.

So, you'll be tempted to stealth your way through the game, open each stupid lock and computer, just to get those upgrade points. Unfortunately only a few of those are really useful (inventory, armor, aim and recoil and a bit of hacking), so you'll end up maxing out before you reach the half point of the game. And be bored out of existence by endless hacking scenes which give you absolutely nothing... I actually had to reinvent my style of play, from stealth to silenced pistol stealth. Only to find out just how bad the game really is. Once you no longer wait 10 minutes to clear a room silently, you realize just how small the levels are and how little there is to do or break, how linear the entire thing is and how boring and predictable the story is. Even with the awful graphics, I'd rather play the original Deus Ex. It was good for a reason.

Actually I think the stealth in the original Deus Ex is quite bad.

Pescetarian:
Wait, wait, wait a second here. Why does Yahtzee show Gordon Freeman running away from the Gonarch as an example of a game that doesn't let you do that? The Gonarch is the only boss that doesn't let you do that in the whole damn game! You can run away from all the tanks and helicopters in Half-Life without shooting them, it just makes it a lot harder...just like Deus Ex!

What do you mean? The first Tentacle boss fight, the Nihilanth.

You can also run away from the Gargantua as well, but you still had to trap and face it.

Zeitgeist1983:
I wanted orange, but it gave me lemon-lime!

The machine would not make a mistake!

The original Deus Ex is the best game of all time, in my opinion. So much complexity, so much variety. I don't care about the graphics; I want a good storyline and a versatile and complex gameplay. Deus Ex surely delivers.

This game is a triumph of game design. It's what games should strive for - great gameplay and a great storyline. I remember reading reviews for this game 11 years ago and I really wanted to play it, but it was so badly optimized I couldn't play it properly. So I finally got to play it in 2004. and my mind was blown away. I replayed it this year before playing HR and it's still the best game ever made. Fuck graphics when you have such a rich game, and it's a shame more people don't think the same.

I like it how the game is growing in popularity every year. It's still selling on steam and pretty well so. Games like Bioshock or Mass Effect pale in comparison with Deus Ex because unlike those games, it truly merges more genres and actually justifies the RPG classification in it's genre tag. I pity everyone who dismissed this game purely on graphics. What a shame. What a rotten way to dismiss a game.

With all that being said, Human Revolution was amazing, except the end was kind of lacking. It's still the best game in years and a definite GOTY winner for me; it still isn't as great as the original which will hardly ever be surpassed.

One of the fairest reviews that i ever seen

Woodsey:
I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.

You forgot the obligatory 10 seconds devoted to cover systems, knee high walls, and regenerating health.

I like it when Yahtzee reviews an old game.

Yahtzee:
Why hasn't any other video game character ever thought of that?

Presumably because for most other video game characters all the doors lock whenever a boss shows up.

I do like the reference at the end of the credits to the 'A BOMB' catchphrase, and I'm glad he didn't use the classic lines in the review, as they would have just been easy material, as well as contradictory of his hatred of referencing pop culture.

I loved Human Revolution, but the sim/emergent situation elements that defined Deus Ex were muted a bit from the original. Part of the reason is that Jensen is a lot easier to kill and the AI sees him a lot more easily, so it's harder to set wacky traps and come up with ridiculous ways to solve a situation without being instantly killed. But it's also partly because the level design was tailored a bit more toward stealth path/action path/hacking path instead of just presenting the player with a gigantic, well-thought out level and saying "Go. Use your smarts and abilities."

I can see this pissing off someone like Yahtzee, and it's definitely bothered a lot of old-school Looking Glass/Deus Ex fans.

Still, I shrug it off because what the game DOES do well is just fantastic.

You gotto burn alright.

I'm almost certain that Yahtzee won't be that positive with Human Revolution. Then again maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous.

On an side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that Crossbow totally useless.

As i recall most fights in baldur's gate can be avoided by just walking out the door you walked in from while the villain does his "You shall never escape my demon! BWA HA ... huh? where'd they go?"

And if I'm not mistaken most of Fallout 1 and Planescape Torment can be won without killing anyone. In fact in Fallout you can convince the last boss that life is just not worth living and he kills himself.

Pscyon:
I didn't get past the first hour either. Not when the game was new due to an old crappy monitor which made everything simply too dark (damn you stealth tutorial!) and not now since the game is simply too hard to get into without nostalgia mode which I lack for this particular game.

The first level is BRUTAL. People were telling me all the way back in 2000 how great it was, but I never got into it. I finally played it with a friend in 2010 and fucking loved it. You really have to die a lot if you aren't used to the game and what it is asking of you. Once you get past that point, it becomes pretty clear why everyone says the game is as good as it is.

The thing that made games like deus ex shine was the choice, the level designs were brilliant, the story was great, and heck as bad as the game looks today, it looked great back when it came it, not as great as it could have but still back in the day some of the visuals were still impressive.

Dunno how anyone says the game does not grab you out of the gate, with the dificulty curve and the first rescue mission i would think most players would either be frustrated by the difficulty and the lack of handholding, or involved in the game.

Deus Ex really get most of its props for being the first game to blend rpg and fps and do it well. And really if you think about its stealth gameplay was one of the early games where that style of gameplay was viable and probably vital to play the game well.

Yea the AI was lacking but if you did get spotted by the AI you were going to be dead in many spots. I remember when i replayed deus ex about a year ago just how much i died, and it was not because of the AI lacking, but because the AI were armed to the teeth and often came in numbers, add to the fact your health was limited and boss encouters needed the majority of that health that managing any health picks up or stations during the game was vital.

Deus Ex Hr seems good glad hes taking another week to review since my windows drive exploded and took everything with it including my DEHR chapter 3 or 4 saves, just when the story was getting interesting. So i am having to start all over.

I think it is somewhat fitting that DEHR and DE will be slammed for gfx above all. I was put off by the character models and animations big time in HR, voice acting is solid enough for me, but everytime i see these characters having a convo i feel like i am watching an episode of thunderbirds with the twitching and the way the mouths and expressions are animated.

But despite that the world and the game play are great to me sofar. I like the hacking not because it does or does not give me XP or cash, but because you find those email convos in wierd places that related directly to what is happening in the story around you.

The guns feel good, yea the heavy gun and some others are just utter fail since they take so long to reload or fire and etc, might be worth cheating in a bunch of reloads and fire rate mods for the heavy just to see at what point its usefulness might kick in vs say my tracking assault rifle that can fire immediately, and my 10m pistol that will one shot just about anything, toss in sniper for backup or a shotgun. All guns feel useful, hell all guns would feel better because depending on what chapter you are on ammo can be hard to come by or one weapon or another, taking assault rifle early on seems rather pointelss since there is not much ammo to be had most of the level, and 2nd or 3rd stage i weas using whatever i could scavenge for whatever gun i could find it would work in at one point because there was no ammo to be bought that i could find.

I think HR will get slammed for all the things people have brought up and so it should, i think it does well for itself in some areas the map design is good, finding alternate paths takes a lot of looking and some even take thinking to get to some places.

The convo system is good the lore is good so we shall see.

Fuck, fuck, FUCK, that's why I hate modern games sometimes.

They have spoiled me and I couldn't get through Deus Ex only until after the concpiracy is revealed because of the way the game looks and the slowdowns on the PS2. If HR is better in these 2 areas, no problem.

I suck, I know. But I am also glad I wasn't the only one with Traq Gun problem. They can afford augs that make you lift tons of weight but not a good anestezic agent?

There is actually a Mod for Deus Ex that remakes the textures. here---> http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision

this was the first episode in while that made me laugh out loud

Tinybear:
It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.

Okay, I've been playing this game to death since its release, to the point that I could tell you the location of every item or even every secret item, and I've never heard this. How do you skip the Parisian section of the game?

Still love the comment about the money in the wrists

Halbert:

Tinybear:
It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.

Okay, I've been playing this game to death since its release, to the point that I could tell you the location of every item or even every secret item, and I've never heard this. How do you skip the Parisian section of the game?

There was a series of Rock, Paper, Shotgun articles where the writer claimed you skip Paris, but I seem to recall a bunch of people in the comments saying you actually can't. I'd love to know for sure as well, because I've played the game a million times and always went to Paris.

Just a few thoughts on the tranquilizer darts.

-Realistically, any tranq dart that knocked a person out cold immediately after impact would have to have so much juice in it that it would kill a man, which sort of defeats the "non-lethal" idea. This is part of why anesthesiologists/nurse anesthetists are so well paid; it's pretty important to balance the drugs somewhere between "Makes you feel slightly drowsy" and "Makes your heart explode."

-From a gameplay perspective, people would declare the tranq darts to be massively OP if they could immediately KO someone. While it would be the smaller, shorter range cousin of the sniper rifle, it would still seriously impact the gameplay. Plus, it would mean never, ever letting the NPCs carry them. Even the NPCs with sniper rifles can be survived.

Halbert:
Just a few thoughts on the tranquilizer darts.

-Realistically, any tranq dart that knocked a person out cold immediately after impact would have to have so much juice in it that it would kill a man, which sort of defeats the "non-lethal" idea. This is part of why anesthesiologists/nurse anesthetists are so well paid; it's pretty important to balance the drugs somewhere between "Makes you feel slightly drowsy" and "Makes your heart explode."

-From a gameplay perspective, people would declare the tranq darts to be massively OP if they could immediately KO someone. While it would be the smaller, shorter range cousin of the sniper rifle, it would still seriously impact the gameplay. Plus, it would mean never, ever letting the NPCs carry them. Even the NPCs with sniper rifles can be survived.

It doesn't have to be an instant takedown, but it should have been better than what it was, which was basically a "come shoot me everyone!" alarm. Having the guy run around hiccuping and alerting everyone was just frustrating.

Human Revolution actually got it right. It takes about 10 seconds, and then the NPC slowly slumps to the ground.

Tinybear:

You could skip that entire section?! And I thought I was clever for spotting a spy mechanic messing with my helicopter.

Anyway, it seems like a rare case where Yahtzee actually liked the game.

starts snowing cheeto dust.
Even when insulting your fanbase, I'm still LMAOing

Wow. I've never agreed with a ZP episode more...
And that bit about the first hour being super familiar? So damn true... :P

Signa:

The first level is BRUTAL. People were telling me all the way back in 2000 how great it was, but I never got into it. I finally played it with a friend in 2010 and fucking loved it. You really have to die a lot if you aren't used to the game and what it is asking of you. Once you get past that point, it becomes pretty clear why everyone says the game is as good as it is.

I actually played it on hard, as I do most of my games, HR included. ;) Always up for a challenge.

at least he can pronounce "deus ex" properly. =D

I'm suprised witcher 2 fans haven't exploded with rage.

I guess they're ignoring his opinion since he started disagreeing with them....

EDIT:

Zakarath:
Be interesting to see how he recieves HR, as that game does have some of the things he was complaining about. (regenerating health, stupid boss fights, guns you don't need to worry about skill to use)...

I think the gun skills are just different:

Deus ex has guns that are hard to use at first but always very effective.
Human revolution has guns that are always easy to use but not very effective at first.

It's just different.

Also, bad voice acting? Deus ex had great voice acting.

so basicly people "hate" it for beeing a game where theres a "best way" to play it... WAKE UP PEOPLE you don't have to play with the best build, i played the way I wanted, and I thought the game was rather good, sure i missed out on the explosive revolver and fully upgraded heavy machine gun and stuck to the rather innacurate sniper and tranquilizer gun, brining i 10mm pistol and a assult rifle when things got hairy.

i played by sneaking around the guards with my mighty eye that can see through walls, putting guards to sleep and hacking security hubs to dissable turrets and robots, it all went perfect until *spoiler alert* the game turned into Left4Dead at the very last level where i was just lucky to find a heavy rifle and stumble my way through "zombies"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here