Achron Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Avaloner:
This is exactly it, it seems you transfer not your units but the entire game backwards, meaning you just restore the game back, nothing is changed, you simply have information about enemy placement.

Now what really would be interesting is you with a few units go against a bigger force, where the timeline stays present and only your units go back in time, repairing getting out of danger, so basically just like a chronosphere.

I don't know if the reviewer even listens to his own words, he complains about games like sands of time..when you got the very same mechanic right here, it just rewinds time, giving you another shot, its not like you can send your enemy's units back in time so you can walk past them or something.

For me its rather pretentiousness to claim that this is new and innovative, if this is, as another commenter said, simply a way to skip over saves.

It's not it. If you look back in time, it doesn't change anything by itself.

Let's say you issue an order. One minute later you look two minutes in time. Now you're one minute before you issued the order. However, if you don't do anything, that order will be issued one minute later.

Things will only change if you look back in time (or better, send an unit back in time) and then issue a different order to a unit (there's a limit to how often you can do that). However, your units will respond to all other you already have given. This does not happen if you reload a game.

It gets even better. Imagine you look back in time and order an army to attack. Well, the game will calculate that with the orders you have given, the enemy will be attacked in X seconds. Guess what, the enemy will be able to see it. Let's say it takes half a minute for your army to reach the enemies. If your opponent happens to be looking half a minute later in time, he will see your army attacking him. Actually, the attack will show up in some sort of diagram even if you don't happen to be looking at the time it takes place.

It's nothing like reloading or using the sands of time. You don't rewind time, you only look back in time unless you choose to change something. Even if (when) you do something, it doesn't undo everything else that has happened.

fi6eka:
So, instead of pressing the quick safe button I'll be pressing the reverse time button.By the looks of it, there is no point in this mechanic.

Avaloner:
snip

You're both missing the bigger picture and focusing on one use that's enabled through the mechanic. The difference is, for instance, in Prince of Persia the time mechanic is static. The prince rewinds time and that effectively becomes the present, akin to simply avoiding a quick save as you mentioned.

In Achron if I go back in time to change orders, both in singleplayer and multiplayer, the present doesn't simply stop or cease to be though, and going back and simply changing an order to a favorable outcome is just scratching the surface. Achron handles issues like chronoporting your units into the past and using your cloned army of both past and future selves to destory your opponents factories which means his tanks in the present cease to exist as they were never able to be created.

Slycne:

You're both missing the bigger picture and focusing on one use that's enabled through the mechanic.

In my defense I thought Video was the same as the text, now reading the text you explain more functions.

Slycne:

In Achron if I go back in time to change orders, both in singleplayer and multiplayer, the present doesn't simply stop or cease to be though, and going back and simply changing an order to a favorable outcome is just scratching the surface. Achron handles issues like chronoporting your units into the past and using your cloned army of both past and future selves to destory your opponents factories which means his tanks in the present cease to exist as they were never able to be created.

So I could basically amass a huge amount of chrono energy roll to my enemy, transport back my army in time, kill my now far more defenseless enemy base with my units, that I just will build in a minute?
Maybe I need to play the game, but If I can transport back my units and they are copied what stops me from transporting my armys several times and rolling over my enemy with cloned armies, I would just need to take care of the original tank, because if that one dies every other copy would vanish aswell right?

~you should really allow us to delete our own posts~

Avaloner:
So I could basically amass a huge amount of chrono energy roll to my enemy, transport back my army in time, kill my now far more defenseless enemy base with my units, that I just will build in a minute?
Maybe I need to play the game, but If I can transport back my units and they are copied what stops me from transporting my armys several times and rolling over my enemy with cloned armies, I would just need to take care of the original tank, because if that one dies every other copy would vanish aswell right?

In theory, yes. A single unit in late game can still potentially be a game changer, provided your chronoporter is till functioning. Though like I said in the review, the systems in place like chronoenergy and permanently expending resources to chronoport units does tend to keep games in a slightly more normalized condition. You can certainly make big plays like this, but not every game is going to be won by such upsets. Your opponent is also not going to sit simply ideally by either, so maybe they might try to wipe you out in the future before the time waves from the past have a chance to carry your destruction forward.

BabySinclair:
Sounds interesting but the AI pathfinding bit puts me off a bit. If changing past orders costs a resource per command having to spend more to deal with shoddy AI is a major problem.

shiajun:

Keltzar:
Am I the only one that wanted to grab him and say "That's not how the damn game's name is pronounced have you seen a single video of the game before!?"

More on topic I found out about the game a while ago and I think it looks pretty awesome. With luck the developers will release some patches to fix pathfinding issues.

So how is it pronounced? I didn't know of this game until know and I would also pronounce it ah-kron without further instruction based on its spelling.

Regarding pronunciation: ay-kron. Think of the word "asynchronus", then remove the "syn" and "us". Chron means time; a- means "without". In the game, you play as an achronological commander who is unaffected by the flow of time, hence your unique position and ability to carry information back and forth in time.

Regarding pathfinding: Please see this article. Pathfinding CANNOT be patched as a result of the time-manipulation mechanic.

Strange Design:
Achron doesn't just have units which respond to actions - it calculates the actions of every unit forward and backward in time in relation to those actions. You can order a tank across the map, then almost instantly jump to the end of the game, and see where that tank ended up. Then jump back to 10 seconds after you gave it's original order, make an adjustment, and then jump to the end again. Everything that tank will ever do has to be calculated in a fraction of a second every time you click the mouse.

Games like Starcraft don't anticipate reactions - they just respond quickly to user input, and make sure that events unfold in reasonable ways. The need of the Achron engine to anticipate consistent future results must be driving every programming decision the team made - because it's a heck of a computing problem.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here