Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Still, console gaming is cheaper. Not trying to undercut PC gaming and its apparent low standards for most popular games. However, even buying a decent rig, can sometimes cost a lot of money for someone who isn't used to shelling out $300+ dollars just so they can run something on mid to low quality. In that case, I rather just stick with the same console for eight years, then pay $120 dollars for the next console that holds my interest, or the next generation has come out.

Very thoughtful video, Jim. For once, I agree 100% with what you said.

Swifty714:
Still, console gaming is cheaper. Not trying to undercut PC gaming and its apparent low standards for most popular games.

Oh, well as long as you're not trying to undercut them...
For fuck's sake, man. I'm not even a PC gamer and this bothered me.

I was expecting the "irony" of PC gaming would be that whenever someone complains about the graphics/visuals of a certain game being muddy or ugly, people will go off and say "Graphics don't make the game! I could play a game that's nothing but mud so long as it's fun!"

And then, whenever the topic of PC vs. Consoles comes up, the PC crowd almost always goes off saying how pathetic the console's are when it comes to hardware, how they all upscale their games, not true 1080p, how their RAM is so pitiful, how their PC games can run 100+ frames per second, etc....

Generally, that's the biggest irony/hypocrisy I find with PC gaming.

While those are valid arguements and I agree that not all of PC gaming is fixated on the new, shiney super-titles that come out today (the most recent game I have on my PC is The Sims 3) it is still a fairly significant thing and not exactly an arguement that can be easily side-stepped just by saying 'we have stuff that's just as good elsewhere'.

While it isn't nessercarily required of you to upgrade to a super-computer and keep it cutting edge just to play games in general, it would more than likely be fair enough to say that there is going to be a significant amount of cost and effort involved in being able to keep up with the latest releases (and to play them on the graphic settings that counter the arguement of 'why not just get the console version?').

Not all of the best PC games are the dazzling visual-obsessed spectacles that we are treated to today, but the same could be said for consoles too so this point doesn't really nullify or equalise any part of the 'PC vs. Console' debate (no matter what, the overall simplicity of a console will probably always remain unmatched, for the most part it's just plug in and play).

My PC has been my main focus for gaming in the last couple months.

My last 3 games I bought/played:

Dungeon Keeper 2 (Good memories that still hold up today, nostalgia be damned)
Evil Genius(still on my to play list)
Baldur's Gate II (I'm severely late to this party)

Also Witcher 1, but that doesn't follow the trend of the other games I listed...

Swifty714:
Still, console gaming is cheaper. Not trying to undercut PC gaming and its apparent low standards for most popular games. However, even buying a decent rig, can sometimes cost a lot of money for someone who isn't used to shelling out $300+ dollars just so they can run something on mid to low quality. In that case, I rather just stick with the same console for eight years, then pay $120 dollars for the next console that holds my interest, or the next generation has come out.

I don't know... I bought the PS3 when the 80GB version came out and that cost me $699. Not sure what new console your buying that only cost $120 unless your getting it used or through some special retailer online.

While refreshing, I'm amazed that Jim didn't mention "that" pig-ugly success story. Anyway, nicesssssssss video this week.

One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics. People are always whining that PCs that can run the newest games at max settings cost so much more than a console, but that's a retarded argument - of course they do! And the game will look much better. However, if you wanted to run a game at the graphical level of a 360 or a PS3, you don't need to sacrifice your child to the dark gods. My 4 year old PC which was kinda crap when I bought it runs everything that comes out nowdays. It's got a GeForce 9500 and a plain 2.2GHz Dual Core processor and it runs Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex:HR, Shogun 2, etc.

As an avid PC gamer myself, I'm glad to see these points made. Graphical power is one of the least important things about owning a gaming PC.

It's flexibility, availability, and control over games (when developers don't put laughable DRM on them) is what makes the PC great. People wonder if we'll ever see a universal console, but the PC already is one. I have reverse compatibility that goes back to the creation of videogames; that is a big deal. It's a console that greatly helps preserve the history of this medium.

That said, nothing wrong with console gaming. A majority of my purchases are still console based.

I love PC gaming because anyone can fucking do it. People who get games consoles almost certainly have computers as well. Why not use the money to buy a slightly better computer? Even that is likely to be unnecessary. My laptop cost about 500 (and it's only that expensive because I felt I needed a 17" screen) 2 years ago and it runs anything I want, though admittedly I never tried to run the Witcher 2 on it. I'm thinking about getting a new one now though I could probably keep going with this one for the next couple of years anyway.

Plus, unlike the 360, I can play Portal or Plants vs Zombies when I'm on a long train journey.

Wanna play L4D2 round at a mates house? I just take my laptop with me. Seriously, laptop gaming is by far the best.

I've recently come into PC gaming, and I can say for certain that (most) of Jim Sterling's points are spot on. My "gaming rig" is my laptop, and I've been able to play some pretty fun games on it so far, with a miniscule budget of zero no less. And really, the only way this has hindred my experience is that playing TF2 gets incredibly laggy at times.

On a laptop. If anyone out there complains about needing a powerful system to run their games right, just remember that I can play Team Fortress 2 on a laptop and only then does it give me problems. If you have a competant gaming machine that's not a laptop, you can have a fun time on the PC.

Lastly, I for one thank God for Jim Sterling. You wonderful, wonderful man.

Im not going to lie, i thought he was just going to lift everything from the handguard up and reveal a standard size ball point pen on the inside.

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, quite a few people do PC gaming for graphics. I do it because it is easier/possible to mod your games where as most consoles are difficult/impossible to mod because Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo don't like players doing that at all. I'm not saying all PC games are modded and that instantly makes them better. But I like having that option for custom levels. Custom skins. Custom challenges, and so on. That's also why I like Valve games so much because all the authoring tools are available for free for some rather fun community grade content. Stuff you can't get on any console.

Steam sales (going on Valve again) are also a highlight of PC gaming. No where other than steam would I have been able to get Arkham Asylum or KOTOR for $7.50 or less. (maybe Kotor now, but still).

Then take a look at Nintendo when it comes to Modifying Smash Bros and using the Homebrew Channel. Nintendo dislikes this so much (the latter part anyway), that they will update their Wii Menu just to delete that stuff. I don't appreciate Nintendo telling me what I can and can't do with my console after I paid money for it. It's mine and they can just deal with it.

That's my two cents on the issue. Graphics? Fuck em. I'm all about the mods.

I've always been a PC gamer, and though I will probably drop 700-800 on a high end computer for Skyrim... I could still keep using this one for a while and still play Skyrim on lower graphics and all the games I love.

Swifty714:
Still, console gaming is cheaper.

Except no, because you have to actually buy a console. Pretty much everyone already has a computer. Including you I assume, unless you posted from your phone or something.

Writing with a chainsword. Now it all makes sense.
*runs off to buy one*

Jim... I love you.

That was brilliant.

Can't really add more then that.

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to thank the God-Emperor this time around?

Good episode. I've been recommending services like Steam and GOG for years because of their libraries of older games that you can buy on the cheap, with next to no compatibility issues to boot. I play console games as well, but it can be inconvenient sometimes to drag an older system out of the closet just for nostalgia's sake.

THANK YOU O LORD JIM, THANK YOU.
Finally someone who understands what makes PC gaming so awesome

LostTimeLady:
Excellent video. Jim's best so far in my opinion. As someone who's most up to date piece of gaming hardware is a 2 year old laptop I often get scared off by the PC gamer graphics wars. But! When actually getting down to it in the end the games I want to play are the games that run just fine on my laptop (even if it means setting minecraft to fast graphics and making the draw distance tiny when the processor starts to chug a bit) and the fact that I was hesetant was silly.

Also, cheers Jim for pointing out that for backwards compatability alone, PC gaming is a no brainer.

*contemplates playing old lucas arts games...*

By "old lucas arts games", KotOR? I've discovered that my year-old, 1.6ghz netbook can run it. HELLS YEAH!!!

I like PC gaming for certain types of games, and although graphics wise if you shell out for it you an probably get the best graphics on your pc (in comparison to a console), I love pc gaming for the modding community.

Well, Jim. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by your video. You have said and wrote so much BS about PC gaming that when I saw the title, I was a little bit afraid. But you actually made some good points this time. Good work.

Jim uses a lot of logical fallacies and very deceptive arguing, doesn't he? He's INCREDIBLY fond of straw men. I don't think anyone would say graphics are super important on PC exclusives, many of which he cited to construct his argument, but graphics are most certainly important when comparing the PC and console version of a multiplat. I'd like to see Jim do the same video, but using only multiplats to support his argument. Odds say his little thesis would fall flat on its face.

Graphics are one of the biggest reasons to play a multiplat on PC, which is something he totally and absolutely neglected. He used a straw man in the form of graphically unimpressive PC exclusives, aka where no one cares about graphics. He didn't refute the central point, however. Overall.... a pretty poor episode.

Father Time:

I think that's the HD release of Serious Sam although I don't know for sure.

No it isn't. That's Serious Sam 3.

Father Time:

Baneat:

sir.rutthed:
Error 200 Stream not found. Please fix.

Works just fine.

A: What's that big sword?
B: What's that game that looked like Serious Sam but had a few weapons I haven't seen?

Serious sam 3

But HD release of Serious sam 1st 2nd is awesome.

Stall:
Jim uses a lot of logical fallacies and very deceptive arguing, doesn't he? I don't think anyone would say graphics are super important on PC exclusives, many of which he cited to construct his argument, but they are most certainly important when comparing the PC and console version of a multiplat. I'd like to see Jim do the same video, but using only multiplats to support his argument. Odds say his little thesis would fall flat on its face/

Father Time:

No it isn't. That's Serious Sam 3.

I think you just missed the entire point of the video...

He said.

1. People tend to think of graphics when they think of pc gaming.
2. Lots of awesome pc games arent graphic intensive.

He never argued graphics were/werent "important". So wheres the fallacies?

How do you keep pulling me and and pleasantly surprising me with such great writing? Oh wait it's you.

varulfic:

Swifty714:
Still, console gaming is cheaper.

Except no, because you have to actually buy a console. Pretty much everyone already has a computer. Including you I assume, unless you posted from your phone or something.

Except yes, Console gaming is still cheaper.

People that have been posting, have said the have been paying 200 euro or more, just to get an upgrade. My Xbox 360 lasted me 4 years before I finally needed to 'upgrade' which even then only costed me $140 dollars at the local shop.

Also, not all computers are designed to run games. Mine is just a general purpose laptop.

I find it ironic that you were saying how PC gaming's biggest strength wasn't graphics while showing some fucking gorgeous games and kind of convincing me a little that it was.

It isn't, of course, but still. Eye-gasm.

I disagree, I will use S.T.A.L.K.E.R games as an example, sure they are great with the lowest settings ( the ones I play with *cries) but if you play with the highest settings or with a mod that makes the game look even better then the game becomes immersive and scary.

Yes there are awsome titles on PC that don't need graphics but good graphics create a feeling of immersion that can only be found on PC.

I would like to have that chainsword. I would carry it around everywhere.

You know what always has and always will appeal to me about PC gaming?

The simplest, most overlooked aspect: keyboard and mouse controls.

That's it.

Now granted, there are times when I go PC gaming for the exclusives, or because of Steam deals, or because my fat box of an SD TV has trouble making text readable with newer games (*cough*MassEffect2*cough*), but overall, it's just that I prefer certain games to have a keyboard and mouse control scheme.

Thank God for PC games that don't require a powerhouse to run (and also for Jim, of course). I'll be in Japan for the next year with only my sort-of-okay laptop to satisfy my gaming needs and missing a lot of the big console exclusives that would normally be taking the next few months of my time as a result (I still weep at the thought of waiting a year for Dark Souls). Grabbing a lot of weird, often inexpensive stuff off Steam and GOG has been a godsend for dealing with the situation. Having said that, though, I don't think I'll ever be primarily a PC gamer because most of the games I really get into don't come to PC and wouldn't be that great with a mouse and keyboard, anyway.

Jandau:
One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics.

THANK YOU. I constantly hear people say they won't get the PC version of a game because they wouldn't be able to max it out, when even not maxed it would still probably look better than the console version. I absolutely don't understand the obsession with max graphics or nothing.

Also, I built a $1200 computer almost five years ago, have never upgraded, and it can still max out most new games as long as I turn the anti-aliasing down.

i really really hope he mispronounced recettear only to piss me off...

Hobonicus:

Jandau:
One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics.

THANK YOU. I constantly hear people say they won't get the PC version of a game because they wouldn't be able to max it out, when even not maxed it would still probably look better than the console version. I absolutely don't understand the obsession with max graphics or nothing.

Also, I built a $1200 computer almost five years ago, have never upgraded, and it can still max out most new games as long as I turn the anti-aliasing down.

Not exactly maxing out then is it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or