The Big Picture: Continanity: Rebooted

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I don't want to sound insulting on this, but the Brooklyn accent sounds a bit fake. I don't know if he's doing it for demonstrating a "reboot" of the same thing or he's trying to develop one of his own. Still not going to stop me from watching these or Escape to the Movies but I do find it a bit out of place.

Someones been playing too much scout on TF2.

The accent was a little odd to me, I suppose becuase I'm not used to it.

I've often struggled with the 'where to start?' problem of trying to get into superhero comics. I already know I'd be picking up Deadpool or Thor, but don't know where to go within those. It's more than just the simple question of being confused, though- cost is a factor. I'm used to manga prices, $8-15 for 1 graphic novel with a big fat super-clear numbering system on the spine, which in turn tells me how much storage space it's gonna take- right now space on my bookshelf is at a premium. Cost of entry is cheap, where to go if I like it is obvious. Not so much with comic trades... $20-35 for most books I see, with no sorting system that makes sense to an outsider ("So this book is 1-3 of one comic run, and 4-5 and 8 of another? Huh?") I may have the internet to fill in gaps, but $30 a shot is a lot for me to put into a comic, with no way to really tell how much of my very limited shelfspace it'll take in the long run? It just doesn't help with the impulse buy factor... and I'm not so set on buying a ton of comics to spend the reseatch time on the 'net to know what I'm looking at in store.

There was one Thor book advertised, but not available, the last time I looked at trades that simply said 'Thor- complies Thor 1-6 from X year.' If I ever find that one, then I'm good.

MrMisfit:
I have to ask, what's up with the accent?

MovieBob is from Boston, and as such, he has a Boston accent. When he's calm and collected, he talks in a more neutral tone. But, when he's kind of pissed or irritated about something, the Boston accent comes through.

Most of his long time fans have come to think of it as his irritation gauge. The more Boston he gets, the more angry he is.

With the advent of Wikipedia, continuity isn't as imposing as it once was.

Personally I like the continanity, but I don't mind the re-launch, since enough of it is being kept in a blob called "the past." That's the way I already treated it. Everything happened, but I was not very concerned with WHEN exactly it happened. Most of the time, the stuff just sits there anyway, unless a writer specifically mentions it.

Plus, it's not like those old stories stop existing. I can still delve into the old continuity as the new one builds up. It is easy enough in my mind to treat them as 2 different canons.

Day and date digital sales are a kick-ass idea, but it would be really nice if there was a price discount. I'm not super keen on only licensing the book, not being able to download a copy to my HD.

Wow! I never knew that Bob did the voice for Meowth in the old pokémon english dubs. Nice work, Robert.

But seriously, what's the joke here? Is it some sort of injoke or bet or something? Because it reeeeeeeally sounded like it was being put on at certain parts. I should I say "suh-tin pawhts"

Arrrgh the accent it is horrible. Please restraint it... Or reset.

Ium mbob and dtats th big pickcha.

Accent is of putting.

Sounds like the Anti Overthinker or whatever it was called on Bob's website.

Baahstan accent?

Still not sold on the DC reboot. I like the idea, but I dunno...

The accent is a new thing.
but i enjoy it very much!
and I agree! you don't need to reboot a whole series to get readers interested.

As a Bostonian myself, I find it difficult to listen to Bob's lovable snobbery through the accent I usually hear from guys doing construction work or running subway stations. I hope this is a passing fling.

You know, all this discussion about comic books and continuity and franchises is interesting, but I think it would be best to keep some PERSPECTIVE on the REAL ISSUES and talk about CHILD STARVATION.

Wait, I'm still thinking of the last video... oh well, Bob's point still stands, why should anyone care about any "controversial" nerd-centric subject when the world is in such dire straits?

Summation of comments.

"How was the content?"
"It had an accent, things were said I assume."

This nearly equals the Extra Credits when they had the Digital Cowboys and people complained about the English accents they had. The Digital Cowboys are English by the way. Movie Bob is Bostonian and often tries to cover it up. I say, shine on you crazy diamond!

Ok ignoring the accent, this had been an insightful episode. It is quite a advantage that we can look up informations within second compare to info finding in the early 90's (before or when internet had been created with 56k modern).
I had assume one of the reason for the reboot is to make them young again since after all comicbook characters don't age with us.

Maybe Bob has gotten into Jersey Shore?

Good episode. I agree that for the most part, you can just jump on and read. If you can get in at the very start of an arc of an ongoing series it might help, but generally you can pick up the back issues cheap enough.

The point of advertising is a great one. Now that I think of it, all the success that Marvel have had with their movies, I've never seen them try advertise the comics. I know the movies are pretty much giant advertisements anyway, but regardless, it could have sold more books to simple push some advertising space on things like posters "check out more Iron man in his ongoing series!"

I'm looking forward to the "relaunch". Justice League 1 was very cool to read. Even if all this does turn into another Crisis I'm still glad it's happening.

CK76:
Summation of comments.

"How was the content?"
"It had an accent, things were said I assume."

This nearly equals the Extra Credits when they had the Digital Cowboys and people complained about the English accents they had. The Digital Cowboys are English by the way. Movie Bob is Bostonian and often tries to cover it up. I say, shine on you crazy diamond!

I spent most of the time trying to figure out what was going on, I thought he was ripping on the ShamWOW guy's accent but then it kept going :S

He rebooted his accent for the reboot.

OMG Aero:
Bob is rebooting The Big Picture.
He has now always used this accent.

17 posts until someone got the joke. Only 2 people in the posts preceding it didn't mention the accent. Sometimes I guess you can be a little too subtle.

OT: This is an issue that has been plaguing PC gaming up until digital distribution took centre stage as well - the issue of availability. I wonder if Windows will get a reboot any time in the near future.

Oh. Wait.

DeGoon:
I don't want to sound insulting on this, but the Brooklyn accent sounds a bit fake. I don't know if he's doing it for demonstrating a "reboot" of the same thing or he's trying to develop one of his own. Still not going to stop me from watching these or Escape to the Movies but I do find it a bit out of place.

maybe because it isn't a Brooklyn accent its a Boston(and its real) he tones down/hides it for 90% of the things he dose but some episodes it just slips

Wow... Flash backs of Good Will Hunting.

Dude remove the accent!

IT CHANGED AND I DON'T LIKE IT, CHANGE IS BAAAD

etc. etc.

OMG Aero:

Honestly... that's what I got.

Was that some sort of underjoke or did you just generally forget about your accent?

Everybody said it already, I really don't care.

What IS with that accent ?

Anyway episode was good, makes sense, comics are indeed weird.
Just don't ever do the accent again. I had trouble sitting through
this episode.

Great topic, but I'm surprised it conjured up his Boston-ness.

As a native New Hampshirite I am now unfortunately legally required to make a joke "wherein the behavior of Boston Drivers is criticized in a most amusing fashion." So um . . . man, I'm certainly not going to discuss the state of SyFy's lineup while MovieBob's at the wheel! I bet Roddenberry and Asimov are glad they consulted on the channel's foundation!

(I would have done the whole dropping Rs New Hampshire thing but I have no idea how to do that with "Roddenberry.")

OMG Aero:

Win!

See, this is a classic example of being confused by something and not caring enough to do the research for it. 90% of the audience doesn't realize that Bob is from Boston, despite him having mentioned it a few times both in his Escapist works and in the Game Overthinker.

He's like a gradual mob boss. A gradual mob boss with insights into comic books.

Jesus Phish:
Maybe Bob has gotten into Jersey Shore?

New Jersians don't have horrible Boston accents. God, the only thing worse than that is the Chicago accent.

The one thing I do hope is that if Power Girl is ever to be reintroduced into this new DCU, it won't be the same way as her DC Animated counterpart from Justice League: Unlimited, "Galatea" (aka, River Song before River Song, and 2-dimensional psycho-bitch).

I completely disagree. It might be just me, but I hate getting into the middle of a story. I wouldn't start reading RingWorld at chapter 27, and he speaks of people getting into the middle of the story all the time, I rarely, if ever, do that. Because once they mention something that happened in a previous issue, I think the book resents me for not knowing about it.

A Soap reference? Hell YEAH! Man, I thought I was like the only one who'd ever heard of that show. No, of course that's not true. But yeah - so many shows let you get into it without having to know the whole story, although I kinda disagree with his assessment of Lost... How the hell would you have ever gotten into that without seeing the first season?

caselj01:
Someones been playing too much scout on TF2.

Damnit, I wanted to make the TF2 joke! (Both MovieBob and the Scout are from Boston, so...)

Damn you DC and Marvel. Why cant you just end a story and start up with some new characters? For the love of all that's holy, let's get something new or maybe even, god forbid, original.

See, I was going to post asking if he's speaking differently (or if I've just lost my mind), but I see that's the main thing of pretty much every other post, so I'm good.

I only read the Teen Titans comics. The problem for me is that those comics tend to branch off into other comics. Storylines started in Teen Titans are concluded in completely other books. Example: I STILL don't know if the guy who killed Kid Eternity, Wendy's dad, has been dealt with. I read online that Wendy and Oracle bring him down, but how am I supposed to find that? There's also the fact that the Titans never mention that fact that Kid has been murdered. It's like they don't even realize he's missing. Another favorite: Superboy is suddenly back from the dead, and instead of Wonder Girl freaking out, "Connor! My God, you're alive?!" she gives him the cold shoulder. Clearly she already knew he was alive, but he must have come back in a different book, outside of the Titans, and therefore I'm completely lost.
It drives me nuts when that happens, and it seems to happen a lot because the team in constantly shifting. I'm hoping that with this reboot, they'll stop doing that and try to keep the majority of storylines (I realize sometimes things need to cross) in the comics that originally started them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here