Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Following up on last weeks retrospective on the original Deus Ex, Zero Punctuation reviews Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Watch Video

Totally agree, though I have to say I really did not mind the boss fights. I admired it for kind of the old school challenge that they presented to me, though I can see how a stealth playthrough would be considerably difficult!

Whoever decided that cliffhangers make a good technique for advertising DLCs needs to be hung from a cliff...

...and advertise DLC.

Also:

"Is Deus Ex: Human Revolution a good game? Yes. Is it better than Deus Ex? No."

yeah the vending machine thing never gets old, i also loved to throw refrigerators to people, and would sometimes carry one if it was near the side quest location and kill all the baddies with it

Aircross:
Whoever decided that cliffhangers make a good technique for advertising DLCs needs to be hung from a cliff...

...and advertise DLC.

With their intestines.

I think 1200 microsoft points for a pair of hands is a darn good deal.

This is pretty much my favourite ZP so far. Spot on analysis complete with the un-unseeable image of Dick being spooned by Geiger. <3

I don't think I'll bother with this then. From the review it seems a bit mediocre. All hype, as usual.

I am surprised he made no note of the health regeneration. The last boss fight can be ended with the laser rifle if you can focus all the firepower on her for the entire clip.

Pleased to see that Yahtzee agrees with me on the augmentation issue.

As for the boss fights: I'm taking the stealth/hacking route, and the first boss at least was ridiculously easy.

Wait, so that's what we're supposed to do when we encounter spoilers? I don't have a bucket and a wooden spoon...

I think this video marks a rare case where I completely agree with Yahtzee, both on the good and the bad of this game. The characters do like they have an epileptic seizure when you talk to them (How did that ever get past quality control?), the boss fights really should have had other options of dealing with them (and no, I don't count the second boss with the 'Do you have the EMP protection augmentation, or are you going to die horribly?'-test), it was quite a bit shorter than the first, and what that hacking-chance upgrade is for eludes me completely. But it was still a worthwhile and fun game to play, however long it lasts.

I don't think I'll bother with this then. It seems to be pretty mediocre from the review. All hype, as usual.

I found the stun gun really useful in the boss fights. Tase the boss, throw grendade, repeat.

i agree with this review, the the whole game until the last part was great and the stealth option was a challenge but in a good way

The-Fletch:
I don't think I'll bother with this then. From the review it seems a bit mediocre. All hype, as usual.

You're cheating yourself, but entitled to it. Yahtzee's job is to tear down every game, even the ones he likes. It isn't mediocre, just not the excellent game it could have been, it's merely very good.

hackin'
sneakin'
upgradin'
punchin' whores working girls

Deus Ex Human Revolution in a nutshell

Aircross:

...and advertise DLC.

They should just kill themselves.

You're right that it's his job, but I can understand when he likes a game a lot or is closer to apathetic about the whole thing. I'll probably get it in Steam's winter sale, although I'll be overdosing on Skyrim by then.

The-Fletch:

Its Yahtzees job to make games sound bad, buy it, trust me you will not regret it!
I excpect...

damnit i had to stop watching at the spoiler-put-bucket-on-youur-head-alert.

yes, i have just started to play the game *runs*

Amazes me how people keep dissing the ending scenes in Deus Ex:Human Revolution. WE ALL KNOW what happens after the game - it's called Deus Ex 1. There's even a cutscene at the very end of the game, AFTER the credits roll, that ties the two games together. On the PC, you even get a Achievement for watching it!

It's precisely because of that fact that the ending talks about philosophy instead of showing the What Comes After for Adam Jenson - the people at Eidos Montreal decided to respect Deus Ex 1, and as such cannot alter the events leading up to it - so Adam is going to be relegated to the dust of history before the game even starts. There's only ONE part of him that survives - if you want to see what it is, watch through the end credits and see the cutscene.

Besides agreeing with the critique, this was, for once in quite a while, a review that actually made me laugh out loud (and not just inside my head). Especially the last punchline really got to me!

1200 f****g Microsoft Points!!!

I cant wait till yahtzee take a shit on top of warhammer :) This week the game was good so the review wast so funny , but review about space marines inside a garbige bin will be quite awesome .

The-Fletch:
I don't think I'll bother with this then. It seems to be pretty mediocre from the review. All hype, as usual.

But Yahtzee said it's better than most, if not as good as the original. And literally every other reputable reviewer has praised the game to the moon and back.

I was excited about this. If it has the ol' "DLC True Ending!" though I will pass (thank you Prince of Persia!) until it is bargain bin.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Following up on last weeks retrospective on the original Deus Ex, Zero Punctuation reviews Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Watch Video

Yeah, you nailed that one. Such a disappointment.

Edit: this is what I wrote on the official site about it, summed up my thoughts somewhat. Note: SPOILERS

Me:

I don't why people complain about the ending of Human Revolution, unless they also hate the ending to the original game, which pulls exactly the same tricks and ideas.

The ammo for the non-lethal weapons are more than plentiful. I had nearly 100 tranq darts and well over 40 stun gun darts by the end of the game: there's no shortage at all. I'm not really quite sure where you got that one from, unless you knocked out literally every enemy with the weapons and never, EVER used takedowns.

And the endings were decent enough. They were much more statements about contemporary society than about the game world of Deus Ex. To some extent, seeing how your decision actually impacted the game universe would be nice, but judging by the post credit surprise, you could argue that your decision is effectively pointless in the long run.

And I've seen people defend the boss fights. The best argument I've seen is that it's attempting to communicate that, despite the absolute best efforts one can make, violence is still an inevitability in the world of Deus Ex. If such symbolic importance intended, or if it was someone just reading too much into the game, is difficult to tell, however.

Beyond that, most of the flaws Yahtzee pointed out were mostly legitimate.

The-Fletch:

Whatever you want man... it's your loss.

orangeapples:
Wait, so that's what we're supposed to do when we encounter spoilers? I don't have a bucket and a wooden spoon...

I improvise with an old muffler and a carboard roll.

I'd say that was actually a very fair review.

Personally loved the game, but I agree about the endings. Their implementation was sorely lacking.

figday:
damnit i had to stop watching at the spoiler-put-bucket-on-youur-head-alert.

yes, i have just started to play the game *runs*

Same. First time I've ever stopped a review due to spoiler warnings, too.

One of the most spot on reviews from Yahtzee of late. The boss fights are quite out of place. It's not so much that they're excruciatingly hard, but they completely take you out of the moment and force you to forsake all the sets of rules you were given throughout your journey there. Not having played the first Deus Ex, I keep thinking of Vampire the Masquerade instead. A game with a lot of wonderful ideas, the ability to approach any given solution with more than one skillset, and at the end you have a behemoth with wings that you can only tackle by going ranged and who's completely counterintuitive. From what I read, even the orifinal can be like that sometimes.

It's a mistake games make time and time again. Human revolution designers clearly have to have played VtM:B. there's simply no way they didn't. They have to have played the original Deus Ex. Surely they tackled Alpha Protocol while they were at it, a game with its own misguided ambitions to de Deus Ex crown. How the hell did they not see that allowing freedom of customization and then nipping that freedom at the bud is just plain bad and lazy? They have to have seen the other games fail, they have to have read about it in forums.

Human Revolution is very good. Great, even. But a bit more care in this department would really made the game better. I can forgive the horrid voice acting, but this is a gameplay mechanic hassle with impact on the overall experience

Stall:
The ammo for the non-lethal weapons are more than plentiful.

Totally agreed..

Also, if you're going for a non lethal approach and are worried about ammo, I have descended from upon high to solve all your problems!

You see the Q button on your keyboard, walk up to someone and tap it.

As for the review itself, I kind of agree. I enjoyed it though, and it seems a lot of the bad points are just things which happen when you remake a decade old game and replace its terrible graphics engine with shiny, disc space consuming modern prettiness. Only the boss fights really dampened my enthusiasm, everything else seemed okay.

InterAirplay:

The-Fletch:

But Yahtzee said it's better than most, if not as good as the original. And literally every other reputable reviewer has praised the game to the moon and back.

pretty much this, yeah there's a lot wrong with the game, but other then his retrospectives Yahtzee tends to make every game sound bad if you take him at face value, and when he states the game is a lot better then most it's hard to say that it's only mediocre (unless it's just not your thing which happens)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here