Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I miss my Gameshark. It's been gathering dust for years!
Simpson's Hit & Run cheats were quite fun.

Hopefully the new Saints Row game will maintain it's cheat codes and remind us how cheats are fun.

I love those cheats that actually add to the experience of playing a game. Enter the Matrix had a cheat where, instead of doing a grappling move, the character would pull a katana out of thin air and slice the crap out of the enemy, the developers actually took the time to create several animations for this.

Tomb Raider Legend was to me even more fun to play when I found out I could play from the first level with the Excalibur sword.

I don't miss them one bit.

I agree that achievements are largely arbitrary and seem to encourage doing something not because you enjoy it but just so you can get that artificial sense of accomplishment of having checked off an item on a to-do list. Achievements create an artificial sense of something that you "should" do in order to get the full experience of a game. It's not the same as getting a high score on a scoreboard because that's a genuine achievement, you've done better at a game than a number of other people have.

But, frankly, I'm not as strangely attached to the notion of cheat codes or cheating to win a game. Now I admit there is a sense of sneaky, mischevious glee from it; a feeling of "hee hee! I'm putting one past these suckers!" But really, is doing that as impressive as actually beating a game straight-up? Would it be as impressive to make a three-pointer in basket ball if people found out you taped a magnet to the ball and another one to the hoop to make sure it went in? I don't think so. Now there's no doubt finding special secret stuff in a game is a hoot. But I don't think you have to CHEAT to get it.

Game developers should try including stuff that is a secret, like, say, a collectible item that isn't in the manual and isn't explained in the game, but if the players go out of their way enough to get enough of these items, they get a special weapon or a secret, alternate ending. Stuff like that would make the game fun to play and give the players a sense of real achievement, having gone out of their way to meet a special challenge and get rewarded for it, not just give them a check list of things to do it get a meaningless achievement.

I don't think cheating at a video game needs to be the way to get special abilities or see special content in a game. But giving people unspecified, secret challenges that aren't blatantly pointed out to them and rewarding them with some small token of recognition would be a lot better than arbitrary achievements.

Aha... I am grateful that gaming moved past those stupid things. It ruined the expirience for many people, it took any feel of achievement in beating a game when some jerk cheated himself through it and bragged that it took no effort with those fancy codes he had.

Sorry, but I just don't see cheating in any games as something that improves your overall expirience. Yeah, it might be fun for a few minutes but they kill all the fun in winning a game. No, thanks to cheats we get stupid mechanics which ensure that everyone can finish any game with literally no efford at all.

I used to cheat all the time, then I played WoW.

It taught me the patience I needed to just grind for everything now.

This being one of the many reasons that I have not moved past my beloved ps2. The "current gen" consoles are just taking things too seriously. I like to play my games for the story, but silly achievements won't let me have it. I have a fairly bad headache right now, so this probably makes little to no sense.

um....
>sv_cheats 1
>impulse 101
>god
>noclip
but OT: games have changed, its now more about the multiplayer experience, where cheats=hacks.

Cheats extended the gameplay for FREE that's why it's gone, think about it. Why have codes to unlock new characters, weapons and other shit. When they can charge you money for those through preorders and DLC. All the stuff is on the disk you just need to buy the code to unlock it. I miss cheats because when I done everything I could in a game a really like I want to fool around with it. Or when I don't want to progress in the story I'll like some cheats so I can dick around in the earlier chapters or what not. I can't stand achievements they're a joke they're basically S.W.A.G. You can't cash in the points for free games, demos or DLC the points are there just for a dick measuring contest on who wasted more time getting duped into playing a 50 plus hours when the game was only 5.

I only fully realized the absence of cheats recently, but personally I don't really miss them.

I started playing some RTS games on the PC when I first started gaming and used some cheats then, and occasionally on the N64 haha...but no I'm not really feeling the absence of cheats.

I suppose PC gamers still have them (in the code and whatnot) if one were to really want to use cheats.

I remember my little brother used to use the master code for Turok every time he played, but couldnt remember it so had it written down. He was really pissing me off once so I tore it up and ate it...

...sibling torture was so much easier before the internet...

Capt. Crankypants:
The 'Old Days' of cheating aren't gone. The old button imputs may be, but unnaturally 'enhancing' your single player gaming experience on the PC is still pretty simple. Immediately coming to mind is Crysis. A simple glimpse into the .doc files in the 'program files' directory and you can have unlimited ammunition and as much nanosuit power as you could ever dream of. Also, I like that you can do pretty much whatever with single player, but online multiplayer is always Cheat-Protected. The way things should be.

I love PC gaming for this. It's not as simple and user friendly, but the rewards and extras are incredible with a little knowhow.

AH, Crysis. I remember modding that with only two mods. Unlimited suit power, and a time-slow feature. Holy shit, that made for some pure epic scenes, such as slow jumping into the middle of a group of enemies, shooting two, throwing a third, jumping and then stealthing while in the air and hiding behind a tree while they all started shooting in random directions and searched for me. Good days.

How could it have all gone wrong in a single console generation? *shakes head*
I still remember the level skip code to the NES version of TMNT 2: The Arcade Game:
A,B,A,B,up,down,A,B,right,left,A,B,start

Well, I think that achievements are a good idea. I also thinking that cheating on a first play through can ruin the game, but on the second run through cheats can be great fun. Although I would like to point out GTA4 as this game had both cheats, and achievements, and if you used cheats the game would stop you from getting the achievements. So it allowed for both cheating (if you wanted), or achievements (if you wanted), and at any time could you just do one or the other.

I wouldn't blame achievements for a lack of cheats, I'd blame developers for not including them and disabling the achievements if you use them.

Cod 4 had cheats for the story mode, made me play the story over at least 3 or five times extra, not counting the times i had to replay it to unlock the cheats in the first place. they were really fun too. photo negative, slow mo, bodies turn to tires? rag-time?

I think GTA is the only franchise that openly boasts cheats these days. Though it's a bit odd the way that it works, they'll give you the fastest car in the game, but a chopper stops the chance of you getting an Achievement. Anyway, let's not deny the hours spent fucking around on Saints Row, Just Cause or GTA compared to hours spent on story is like 17:1.

It's now called using the "console command" on a PC. Don't know about consoles.

Cheats are dead, long live the trainer master race!

SQN Leader 095:
i remember the days when cheats were programmed into almost every game. now no one wants you to cheat. i always get people complaining that there are cheats and being angry about cheaters. i counter with this: If the game developers and designers did not want us to cheat they would not program in cheats! sadly the days where cheats are no longer programmed in are coming all to soon. i only wish that the days of no cheats could wait until it is past my time.

Cheats Forever!

Well, there's still Saints Row, Saints Row 2 (Hopefully Saints Row 3) and GTA IV.

The Grand Theft Auto series have always included cheats. They've actually just improved their policy on cheating with the newer games.

If a cheat isn't game breaking and just meant to be fun. I mention Banjo Kazooie's cheat code that turned you into a washing machine, Saints Row's Pimp slap, giant player, low gravity and several others they can be quite fun. Unlimited hp and things like that gets old very quickly though.

I also think that cheat codes get replaced with new game plus to some degree. Resident Evil 4 would yield a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo, a magnum pistol with unlimited ammo, and enough money to upgrade every weapon all you wanted. So when you pull out your automatic shotgun in the middle of the starting village and get ready to rock and roll who really needs cheat codes?
You've already played through the game once and felt the real challenge once. Why not let the first playthrough be sacred while the next one is just for laughs and the next one is for the higher difficulty.

So when I blow off the heads of the first zombies with the sniper rifle and manage to get 2 before they even get time to shout it will feel all the better because I earned it.

I don't know whether to cry, meh or laugh. Seeing as how I enjoyed button-cheats myself yet it feels good to work hard and then get a good achievement for it.

Good luck in the afterlife, Cheat Codes. We knew thee well.

Yopaz:

SQN Leader 095:
i remember the days when cheats were programmed into almost every game. now no one wants you to cheat. i always get people complaining that there are cheats and being angry about cheaters. i counter with this: If the game developers and designers did not want us to cheat they would not program in cheats! sadly the days where cheats are no longer programmed in are coming all to soon. i only wish that the days of no cheats could wait until it is past my time.

Cheats Forever!

Well, there's still Saints Row, Saints Row 2 (Hopefully Saints Row 3) and GTA IV.

The Grand Theft Auto series have always included cheats. They've actually just improved their policy on cheating with the newer games.

If a cheat isn't game breaking and just meant to be fun. I mention Banjo Kazooie's cheat code that turned you into a washing machine, Saints Row's Pimp slap, giant player, low gravity and several others they can be quite fun. Unlimited hp and things like that gets old very quickly though.

I also think that cheat codes get replaced with new game plus to some degree. Resident Evil 4 would yield a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo, a magnum pistol with unlimited ammo, and enough money to upgrade every weapon all you wanted. So when you pull out your automatic shotgun in the middle of the starting village and get ready to rock and roll who really needs cheat codes?
You've already played through the game once and felt the real challenge once. Why not let the first playthrough be sacred while the next one is just for laughs and the next one is for the higher difficulty.

So when I blow off the heads of the first zombies with the sniper rifle and manage to get 2 before they even get time to shout it will feel all the better because I earned it.

yes this is true the first playthrough is usually done without cheats but i do have to say i am very very very familiar with saints row 1 and 2 and gta 4 and if volition has gone away from cheats in saints row 3 i will be very disapointed in them and probably play the game only once. for some people the cheats can get boring but i for one relish the cheats they allow me to make my character do what ever i want. i have already played through saints row 1 and 2 38 times each (but enough about my lack of a life) and i enjoyed every cheatfilled moment! until i crashed my fav car and got it stuck in a wall never to apear back in my garage! lol

*hugs PC, Cheat Engine 6.1, Hex Editor and Console Commands*

Sorry you were saying what about cheats?

Trophies and achievements ruined the high score, not cheating. That was modding and hacking's fault.

I miss the days where I could have a blue spyro with a giant head!
Bring back game cheats!

Why not make games allow specific cheats once you've platinum'd the game? For instance, platinuming DA:O or DA2 could unlock a cheat for infinite mana/stamina, infinite gold, or infinite health. Platinuming Darksiders could unlock infinte Chaos mode, or infinite wrath charges.

SQN Leader 095:

Yopaz:

SQN Leader 095:

Cheats Forever!

yes this is true the first playthrough is usually done without cheats but i do have to say i am very very very familiar with saints row 1 and 2 and gta 4 and if volition has gone away from cheats in saints row 3 i will be very disapointed in them and probably play the game only once. for some people the cheats can get boring but i for one relish the cheats they allow me to make my character do what ever i want. i have already played through saints row 1 and 2 38 times each (but enough about my lack of a life) and i enjoyed every cheatfilled moment! until i crashed my fav car and got it stuck in a wall never to apear back in my garage! lol

Seriously. Unlimited health, check. Max notoriety, check. Unlimited rocket launcher ammo, check. 4X explosion size, check.

What does this tell you or me? A bunch of fun involving blowing up everything you see of helicopters, cop cars, FBI vans! And of course Rocket flying!

Also I am obliged to ask, what car did you crash? I have a Superiore pimped to perfection that I love very much myself.

Cheating isn't dead, it's just not as needed as it used to be. Most games are hella-easy these days so you don't even need extra lives, level select, god-mode, or any of the good old stuff.

Pity, i liked my games hard. Long and hard..... :O

I liked Crackdowns response to this. they just made a cheat mode where you couldn't get achievements. Problem solved.

Yopaz:

SQN Leader 095:

Yopaz:

Seriously. Unlimited health, check. Max notoriety, check. Unlimited rocket launcher ammo, check. 4X explosion size, check.

What does this tell you or me? A bunch of fun involving blowing up everything you see of helicopters, cop cars, FBI vans! And of course Rocket flying!

Also I am obliged to ask, what car did you crash? I have a Superiore pimped to perfection that I love very much myself.

unfortunatley it was the generals limo. the limo hes always riding around in. i used an awesome glitch to get it then as i was driving it around i crashed it because i forgot i had evil cars on and i got hit by a peterliner (the mack truck) it pushed my limo into a wall and it got stuck halfways and started wigging out. i waited to see if it would pop out. (after a blew the shit out of the peterliner) and it didnt and it blew up. i went back to my safe house to retrieve it and it wasnt there :'( so i had to start a new game to get it back along with all the other one of a kind vehicles

i can only remember one cheat code.. and it was for pc , wouldnt mind them coming back to consoles though .

still carmageddon 2's lapmylovepump was just brilliant

Sadly, modern games are too easy to bother with cheat codes, anyway. Just turn it down to "easy" and you've enabled the built-in cheat codes.

Lord_Gremlin:
I really want proper cheats in my games. Out of new games only Duke Nukem Forever has real, proper cheats (god mode BTW disables trophies).

I sometimes replay Blood on PC. Eventually it pisses me off and then I type "Lara Croft" and start firing bouncing endless napalm balls in all directions. I wish more games did that now...
I mean, you can't go wrong with a lot of napalm.
Oh, and some older cheats were delicious. Shadow Warrior anyone? Purely cosmetic cheat... That replaced your missiles with white exploding rabbits? I believe Postal 2 stole the idea later (cats instead of machinegun bullets).

No, Postal 2 used cats as a silencer for the gun. As in they stuck the barrel up the cats rear end. It wasn't a cheat, either.

See, this is why I like PC gaming. Although you can still gain achievements, you can still console-code some games. Latest example I know of is Fallout: New Vegas, and will most likely be in Skyrim too. However, the moment you activate any console coding cheat (say, TGM, aka "Toggle God Mode"), it stops the achievements from being given. This, of course, is only an example via Steam, so I can't say for anything that's not on Steam, but still.

However, I do agree that it really irks me how you cannot buy a good Action Replay or the like anymore. I'm sick of playing a game till about halfway through, finding the difficulty curve jump a few miles and then going to try to get an hex-coding device like an Action Replay or Gameshark, only to be told "Oh no, we don't do that anymore... you have to use GAME SAVES... Simply put, unless you like starting right at the final boss with max stats or starting the game from the beginning with whatever enabled stat/money changes, you're stuffed!

I love my old Action Replay devices. Allowing me to choose when I want to put on whatever cheat. Maybe I wanted to gain boosted experience or max money for just a little while. Can't do that anymore (except on the DS, thank gawd for Nintendo :D)

They should still make such devices, but have it disable achievements whenever it's used. I wouldn't care. I play the game for a game, NOT for some useless pixelation that says "You've done [such-n-such]!"

Yeah, Console cheats are pretty much dead, and I miss them. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here