Trailers: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Demo Part 1

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Demo Part 1

The world of Skyrim looks and feels real in part one of this three part demo.

Watch Video

First thing I noticed was the silhouette on the ruins in the distance XD

And there is a definite difference with the soundtrack.

Also the Fallout vibe I'm getting from this is increasing.

looks like they may have put some more variety in the magic system, which is good

can we not block with melee weapons? never saw him put up the weapon in defense

Ralen-Sharr:
looks like they may have put some more variety in the magic system, which is good

He did, once the second wolf charged at him.

Dragons don't look easy to kill. Detail still beautiful the last time I saw this. I seem to remember the starting footage from afew months ago at some video game thing, name escapes me. Memory failure, lol.
I want November to roll around quicker, I'm so gona be at the store for Midnight release.

looks very pretty, and They don't need to do much to make me like an open world RPG with the kind of customisable gear like all elderscrolls games have. looting pillaging dungeon crawling and saving the world.

this is going to be so much fun in 3 to 4 years when I can afford buying a desktop PC or a laptop with the POWER to run this beauty ;)

yeah it looks nice,
but it also looks boring.

I've never played any of the elder scrolls (or fallout),
but I was thinking of getting this one,

but now I'm starting to doubt again.

stef1987:
yeah it looks nice,

trust me it´s worth getting into this, the freedom to shape your character is rivaled by few, you play YOUR character, also take to account this is actually quite old footage back from E3, so don´t take any seaming "boring" aspects to serious

This looks amazing and all, but uh, did you really have to name the article on the front page "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Demo"?? Seriously, either you're looking for more clicks or just wanted to let me down.

stef1987:
yeah it looks nice,

The combat looks MUCH improved from the series' past iterations, but yeah, if you're expecting God of War I wouldn't get it. It's a very slow moving open-world RPG, it isn't an action game. Sure it has action but that isn't the focus. It's more about exploration, customization and story. Think of it this way: there are guns in Star Craft but if you're looking for a shooter you should probably play CoD, Battlefield or Halo.

OT: This game looks amazing! And in addition to the pretty graphics it looks like its combat is less hack-n-slash and has a bit more depth and strategy. I especially like the kill moves, they're going to make the combat feel more like a brutal melee fight and less like me pulling the right trigger as fast as I can over and over again until a bar at the top of my screen runs out of red. But even if it didn't I would probably still get it.

Syphous:
This looks amazing and all, but uh, did you really have to name the article on the front page "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Demo"?? Seriously, either you're looking for more clicks or just wanted to let me down.

Well it is a demo, what else could they call it?

Ragsnstitches:

Syphous:

"Demo" is short for "demonstration", while in video games we commonly understand it to be a playable section of a game, a video showing off a game is technically a demo as well. Just to elaborate.

Someone already made a thread about it, but there are still some obvious animation/AI issues. Ex. When one of the bandits in the cave was shot, the other one just stood there. Why did he not turn around or move to cover?

Another example was the giant that was lifted by the dragon. When he fell, he just floated down. He didnt yell, flail, or spin in the air.

They may have updated the visuals,but they're still using the same core outdated engine that was used in Oblivion.

luckycharms8282:
Someone already made a thread about it, but there are still some obvious animation/AI issues. Ex. When one of the bandits in the cave was shot, the other one just stood there. Why did he not turn around or move to cover?

Another example was the giant that was lifted by the dragon. When he fell, he just floated down. He didnt yell, flail, or spin in the air.

They may have updated the visuals,but they're still using the same core outdated engine that was used in Oblivion.

Nope, completely new engine. Relax. this was made 3 months before release, they have time to fix things.

The title lead me to believe that there was going to be an actual playable demo for Skyrim, I am deeply saddened that this is, in fact, not true and I feel the title should be changed post-haste to avoid breaking the hearts of any other Elder Scrolls fans.

Ragsnstitches:

Syphous:

'Footage' would suffice, demo tends to lead to the belief it will be playable.

jprf:

luckycharms8282:

Nope, completely new engine.

It´s actually a bit more in-between. When a dev talks about having a "new" engine, it usually refers to an upgrade or an adaption of existing tech, as actually coding an engine from scratch is pretty much the most time-consuming thing you could do (and usually a massive waste of time, unless you need some REAAAAAAAAAAALLY specific functionality).

In this specific case, they did a MASSIVE rewrite of Gamebryo and afaik Radiant, which means that it has an actual shot at not being an utter bug-ridden mess. On the other hand, it also means that Creation utilizes the same core principles and is thus (in principle) prone to be vulnerable to similar fuck-ups.

Animations, effects, object detail, and character detail, were all graphical weaknesses in Oblivion and it looks like all have been improved. Before world graphics were well ahead of everything else and I find that having all the graphics looking more consistent a good improvement; better than also making a big advance on environment looks. Unfortunately the mammoth's fur looks bad but maybe that will be fixed.

I live 20mins away from Bethesda. Not the games company. The welsh town.

I hope Skyrim will run well on my laptop as it no longer looks like arse (like Oblivion does now, even with mods)

Skyrim is looking better and better in my opinion. It looks like it's slower paced than Oblivion, but also designed in a more cinematic fashion, meaning that you no longer feel like you have to rush around and find yourself more content and immersed in the pace of the world around you.

Unlike in Bethesda's previous fantasy romp, I won't completely ignore the roads in favour of running in whichever direction I need to go to get there faster. I'll deliberately take a slower route on the road, just because the world is clearly designed to look lovely when travelling along these paths.

There's the potential for the game to become more linear as a result of this encouragement, but with any luck going off-road won't feel like a punishment either. It certainly seems like Bethesda has learned more than a few tricks of level design. The zoom-out fully rendered game map is a great feat of technical design. I do hope that it doesn't get troubled by slowdown on the console versions.

Everything about where they go in this clip tells me that around every corner, there will be something interesting in Skyrim, and that's just what the doctor ordered.

Everything looks great but the menu. I can't imagine using that with a mouse.

Keep in mind, ladies and gents, the demonstrator is overpowered. 999 HP, 90 destruction skill (as seen in parts 2 and 3 of the video)... things will be significantly harder when actually playing the actual game.

Which version is this taken from?

I'd like to see how it runs in a PC environment and the specs of the PC used to run it.

Ugh, absolutely every single detail about the interface looks disgusting. The item menu, the map icons, the skills/perks, looks like something you'd find on some fucking Web 2.0 social networking site. Or a Wii game. Seriously, I'd take the vanilla Oblivion mod over that abomination any day.

Thank Akatosh for the modding community, hopefully it won't take long until someone makes a good or even decent UI!

Silva:
Skyrim is looking better and better in my opinion. It looks like it's slower paced than Oblivion, but also designed in a more cinematic fashion, meaning that you no longer feel like you have to rush around and find yourself more content and immersed in the pace of the world around you.

Unlike in Bethesda's previous fantasy romp, I won't completely ignore the roads in favour of running in whichever direction I need to go to get there faster. I'll deliberately take a slower route on the road, just because the world is clearly designed to look lovely when travelling along these paths.

Totally agree about the roads. I remember reading the terrain was carefully designed to give you a nice vista from any location. The statement sounds like an exaggeration, but I'm definitely looking forward to a gorgeous landscape.

There's the potential for the game to become more linear as a result of this encouragement, but with any luck going off-road won't feel like a punishment either. It certainly seems like Bethesda has learned more than a few tricks of level design. The zoom-out fully rendered game map is a great feat of technical design. I do hope that it doesn't get troubled by slowdown on the console versions.

I would have told them to save themselves the trouble and make a more realistic map that looks like a map. But I don't deny this one is cool. They seem to be mixing a high fantasy feel with a crude aesthetic, and I like that. I really like that.

Everything about where they go in this clip tells me that around every corner, there will be something interesting in Skyrim, and that's just what the doctor ordered.

59 days and counting.

Call me picky but my problem with almost all games that involve melee combat is showcased very nicely here.

The fact that you don't really see the enemies you hit with your sword or whatever react to it, except maybe to jerk slightly and have some blood come out.

It doesn't even really feel like I'm hitting them to me when that's how it works.

This is why I like Dead Island, when I smack a zombie in the face with my wrench, and his head goes snapping back, it feels like a real impact.

luckycharms8282:

First of all, no they're not. totally new engine. Second of all, the game isn't actually finished yet.

Stravant:
Call me picky but my problem with almost all games that involve melee combat is showcased very nicely here.

The fact that you don't really see the enemies you hit with your sword or whatever react to it, except maybe to jerk slightly and have some blood come out.

It doesn't even really feel like I'm hitting them to me when that's how it works.

This is why I like Dead Island, when I smack a zombie in the face with my wrench, and his head goes snapping back, it feels like a real impact.

If you think that's bad, you should see the melee combat in the older games. This doesn't look stellar compared to most melee combat-focused games, but a lot of the old fans (myself indlcuded) view this combat system as nothing short of AWESOME, just because it actually LOOKS LIKE MELEE COMBAT.

The dialogue is still written so that the NPCs lookdirectly at you.
Problem is that it looks really weird how that smith worked blind because he was TOO BUSY LOOKING AT YOU.

Rainforce:
Problem is that it looks really weird how that smith worked blind because he was TOO BUSY LOOKING AT YOU.

well first last time I checked, it´s common courtesy to look at people when they talk to you (I hope your as equally polite and look at people you talk to ;3)

second he wasen´t a doctor working on a patient, I think you can sharpen a axe and look at a person at the same time, especially when your a guy who done that for years almost every day.

I already have it paid for and pre-ordered, but what I worry about with 'pretty' games is the gameplay, specifically FPS (frames per second) suffers heavily. In an interview, they specifically asked Todd about the game BESIDES graphics and he only talked about graphics. I'm seriously hoping that me and the other TES modders don't have to fix everything like we do with all of Bethesda's stuff. Not flaming, just saying I hope they care about gameplay mechanics and rendering speed more than letting the art team make CGI quality gameplay.

Rainforce:

But at least it's not the zoom-crash right in your face staring at you.

If you are not an RPG guy you probably won't like it.

Ralen-Sharr:

I was wondering that too. If you pause on the Block skill, it says you can. Maybe you do it by attacking at the same time your enemy does.

Catchy Slogan:

Ralen-Sharr:

He did, once the second wolf charged at him.

He did?, I didn't see it.

Yes, but none of you have noticed the REALLY interesting part.

HELMET OF JUSTICE! HE'S WEARING THE MOTHERF--KING HELMET OF JUSTICE!!!

KNIGHTMARE!!!!!

Seriously... if they've fixed "Oblivion"'s horrible levelling and random-encounter issues, this will be an awesome game. "Fallout: New Vegas" pretty much fixed everything wrong with "Fallout 3" for me. Hopefully this will do the same for "Oblivion".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here