No Right Answer: Worst Father Ever

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Worst Father Ever

The boys force Dan to edit an episode all about Anime. This has resulted in Dan refusing to pick a winner. Go on our twitter, post on our boards, and mail us seductive pictures to choose the winner on this week's debate between Ozai and Goku for worst father ever.

Watch Video

your both wrong, Darth vader.. anime sucks
(so does star wars a little bit)

Goku is definitely the worst father.

Ozai, while incredibly mean and downright evil to his own son, takes care of his other child Azula. Sure, Ozai is a bad father to Zuko, but not to Azula whom gets pandering and encouragement from him.

Dude, it's got to be Goku.

Ozai is evil, evil guys are expected to be dicks.

Goku doesn't even realise that he's giving his son abandonment issues.

goku

think about if he didnt have his innocence and kindness? hed be one of those dads that makes sure his son would be on the football team

Goku deliberately stayed death and missed the growth of his first son and missed the birth of his second son and let him grow up without a father, just so that he could train while he was dead. If that's not a bad and selfish father. And the worst thing is, he doesn't even know what he's doing to his kids.

Ozai might have driven his son into the clutches of his enemies, but Goku did that with Piccolo too, and then more literally later on in the show. Anyone remember that part when. . .

Goku: "Nope, sorry Cell! I can't beat you, I'll just sit back and throw in a replacement fighter! Let's see. . . do do do. . . Oh I know! My terrified thirteen year old son should do just fine!"
Gohan: "WHAT!?"
Goku: "Go get him son!!"

-Gohan gets the stuffing beaten out of him for several episodes-

I love Goku but his parental skills leave much to be desired, so my vote goes to him.

Goku

He is a child. He was never fit to be a parent and the responsibilities that come with it. It is one thing to abandon your family in time of tumult, but often it is just to train and fight. The only time he can connect at all with his children is with violence in molding them into warriors. He is a bad father and lacks the capacity to feel a hint of guilt for what he has put his children through.

A lot of people here don't seem to get what dragonball is going for, what it means to be a Saiyan, how it fits within Japanese culture and a bunch of other things of that sort.

In that fictional anime story which is not about things existing in reality and should not be judged as though it were, fighting is fun, challenging strong opponents is exciting and pain or "abuse" is just something to shrug like a man and move onwards despite of. Goku is a perfect father for that fictional reality, to judge him on a reality without planet-destroying-aliens attacking at every second is beyond unfair.

Beryl77:
Goku deliberately stayed death and missed the growth of his first son and missed the birth of his second son and let him grow up without a father, just so that he could train while he was dead. If that's not a bad and selfish father. And the worst thing is, he doesn't even know what he's doing to his kids.

Goku stayed dead because he thought that HE was the cause of all the bad things happening on Earth, thinking trouble just seemed to follow him no matter where he goes. If you think about it, he stayed dead so he could make the world safer for everybody, including Gohan. The training was an afterthought.

Ozai knew what he was doing when he burnt Zuko's face. It might have been a dick move but it was a deliberate act of discipline and he stuck by it. Goku isn't even aware of how bad he treats Gohan. Not only does he repeatedly abandon him and throw him in the way of danger, he encourages him to be a socially backward, uneducated outcast. It's a miracle Gohan managed to find a place in normal society.

Heihachi Mishima, for throwing his son off a cliff because thats what lions do, except they don't. Father of the year everyone.

Wikipedia:
Fire Lord Azulon, Iroh and Ozai's father, is furious that Ozai would try to cheat Iroh at such a low point in his life, and orders Ozai to kill his son in order for him to realize the severity of his action and the pain his brother feels for losing a son. Ozai, considering Zuko a disappointment, was willing to kill Zuko to appease his father. However, in an effort to protect him, Ursa, Zuko's mother, does "terrible, treasonous and treacherous things" that result in Azulon's death, Ozai's ascension to the throne, and her own banishment.

Yeah, Ozai is way worse.

Actually, Goku is the worse. Ozai is a dick, but he's a dick to everyone. Goku is supposed to be nice but a horrible father. Like said, he rather stay DEAD than be with his family.

Vausch:

Beryl77:

Goku stayed dead because he thought that HE was the cause of all the bad things happening on Earth, thinking trouble just seemed to follow him no matter where he goes. If you think about it, he stayed dead so he could make the world safer for everybody, including Gohan. The training was an afterthought.

Really? I don't remember it that well, it's been a while since I've seen DBZ. Oh well, maybe he isn't such an evil bastard.

Somehow, anything I have to say about Goku is immediately trumped by the fact that Ozai is a real dick

I dont know. On one hand I have to imagine Goku is mentally retarded since he just jets off on a whim. besides, maybe this is normal parenting in the Saiyan world. I mean, just looking at the way vegata grew up, maybe Goku's the easy going dad, and other saiyan dads just go off and spartan that stuff by leaving their kids on some alien planet and expecting them to come back home on their own.

On the other end, Ozai physically scarred his son. I get the honour thing, and how this is a different culture, but he physically scarred his soon with fire, which could have easily just burned him alive and killed him. At least Goku never actually attempted to kill his son.

I dont know. I guess i'd have to say Ozai, because no matter what Goku does, he can just dragon ball wish this stuff, and even while he was gone, his kids had a group of people. Zuko only had Iroh, and his mother for the early part of his life. And really, how bad of a father are you when your son actually comes back to you, realizes that you're a dick (again) and leaves you (again) and this time helps bring you down. At least Gohan (at first) didnt want to go with Piccolo on his own. Piccolo just stole him.

Plus Goku always had a good reason to not be there, as he was saving the world. So in a way, he's actually doing the greatest thing he can for his son, by saving him. And Goku spent enough time with his sons while he was alive, and even left the planet and searched the galaxy with Pam.

Decision: Ozai

EDIT:

Yosato:
snip

Goku knew he wasnt strong enough to beat Cell, but Gohan was. However Gohan is a pacifist (something Goku accepts and tells him its oka, and he only has to fight when his friends are in a very real threat of danger), so he needed to have him pushed. Lets not forget that Gohan does manage to summon the power taught to him by his father to beat cell then spares him (a lesson he learned from hsi father). THen cell is his dick self and threatens to blwo up the world and look who sacrifices himself so that hsi sons and friends can live (hint: its Goku). Then when Cell comes BACK fromt he dead, Goku reaches from the dead to help his son summon the confidence and power to beat cell (again), before congratulating his son and telling him what a great job he did and how proud of him he is.

Also, Gohan didnt RUN to piccolo, he was KIDNAPPED by piccolo initially, and developed a stockholm syndrome to him. Goku was kinda dead (what with sacrificing his body to save the world and his son [who he specifically mentions as doing this for]) so he couldnt really do anything about that. then afterworld, Piccolo became an uncle figure to Gohan, and arguably the only reason Piccolo didnt just destroy the shit out of the planet (besides kami). So even then, Goku oncce again saved the world, turned the heart of an evil to good, and gave his son soeone who could watch over him and protect him while Goku was gone. Goku set it up for Gohan to have a father figure, and even then Gohan still thought that Goku as his father, and the big parental father figure in his life.

Ozai just said get the fuck out, not even caring enough to give Zuko someone to travel with, and Iroh left with Zuko out of the good of Iroh's heart and love for his nephew in place of his lost son.

Gohan learned all the greatest lessons in life from his father, or his friends (who had been influenced or taught by Goku). Zuko pretty mch had to reject everything his father taught him to even have a chance in society. At least Gohan had a place among friends, and could get by. Goku never said dont study, he just said lets have fun. If anything, Goku saved his son from being so socially inept after all that book learning.

Wow some people have been watching dbz abridged.

I would kind of prefer to have the father who can flex to destroy planets, is pretty much a good guy, and, oh yeah, will literally bring you back to life if needed. Also he didn't so much drive gohan to side with picollo, he kinda sacrificed himself to save everyone then picollo stole gohan.

Interesting side note, in Japanese the word "gohan" refers to a meal. Prolly meant to be a chinese name, but still humorous.

Meanwhile Ozai...is evil. That's a few points down the good father scale. Granted, he's only a dick to his son because his son is a disobedient pile of disappointment. When his son actually "kills" the avatar, he welcomes him back with open arms and would have let him stay at his side if he didn't go good guy.

Long story short there, good guy father > bad guy father because he won't kill you. Ozai is my pick for worst father. Yeah neither are "good" fathers, but one would prefer the one that doesn't want to kill you.

That aside, my otherwise pick for worst father ever is Victorique's father from the anime Gosick. Look it up, he's kind of a jerk and locked her in a tower.

Also, that's young Chichi from Dragonball. Yeah I don't know why they had a little girl wearing that either. Japan, we salute thee. The helmet at least was a weapon though.

As bad fathers go, In the end, Ozais bad parenting actually helped zuko to become a better person, while Goku's son is (apparently, I don't read DBZ) slippin over to the dark side once in a while. So while both are bad parents, Ozais bad parenting actually gets some positive results. Ergo, Goku is the worst.

HOWEVER! This show is, to me atleast, about who argues their point best, and with that in mind, the point goes to... Yeah, still Goku

This seemed straight forward at first since Ozai was a bad guy and Gouku was a good guy, but being a bad father might be more than just that. I consider the off screen conversations that the mothers had reprimanding fathering techniques and I come up with this:

Ozai: So I angered Azulon with my request that I have the throne instead of Iroh and he said I need to feel the pain of lost and have to kill Zuko.
Ursa: What?!!
Ozai: Well, it's the price of power. He's not the talented one that will carry the family line anyway.
Ursa: So our son is the price of your dreams?!!
Ozai: You've known that all I wanted was to fulfill the plans of Souzen and lead the fire nation to rule everything.
Ursa: You have to feel the pain of lost to get power? Fine you can loose; save our son and have your power too, just do it without me.
Ozai: Umm, ok.

Dragon Ball:
Gouku: So this android, Cell, was totally kicking our butts and almost killed us all, so I sent Gohon to fight him alone.
Chichi: What?!!
Gouku: Hey, he couldn't unlock his fullest potential unless he faced a difficult opponent.
Chichi: So spar with him. You're tough. He doesn't need to fight killer robots bent on destroying everything.
Gouku: I made sure it was a fair fight. I healed up Cell so he could better beat Gohon to the point where he'd unleash all of his inner power.

So Ozai is evil and Gouku is a clueless bad dad with good intentions. I've been swayed to saying Gouku is a worse father.

How in the world can anyone say Goku is a worse father than Ozai?

You've got "I scarred my child for life and banished him from my prescence" vs. "I left".

All you people voting for Goku, would you really rather have Ozai as a father? Goku was always kind and encouraging to his son, and Ozai was willing to sacrifice him. Come on, how does there even a debate?

Gohan DID wind up being a scholar, he only had Gohan fighting when the earth was in imminent danger, the rest of the time he got him to study. Goku saved Gohan's life numerous times, trained him to be even stronger than even HE (Goku) was for a time, and was always nice to pretty much everybody.

Versus the guy who'd kill everyone if it meant glory for him. Come on people, wake up here, this is night and day.

They are both bad fathers but Ozai is mean, sooooooo Ozai

The worst Goku has is neglect.

Ozai is straight up abuse.

Abuse>Neglect.

Also, Avatar ain't Japanese. Not anime. Not like it matters, though.

Ozai. At least Goku let Gohan stay pretty.

I'd say Ozai is certainly the worse father.

The guy who isn't Goku, solely because Goku was willing to stay dead so that he wouldn't put his family and friends in danger. That and I don't really like much anime.

Firefilm:
Worst Father Ever

The boys force Dan to edit an episode all about Anime. This has resulted in Dan refusing to pick a winner. Go on our twitter, post on our boards, and mail us seductive pictures to choose the winner on this week's debate between Ozai and Goku for worst father ever.

Watch Video

I guess they didn't go with Gendo Ikari (from Neon Genesis Evangelion) because it would have made too short of a show. The mere mentioning of his name would be enough to bestow the title 'Worst Father Ever'.
Out of the two, I'd have to say that Ozai was the worst. Not only did he fuck up his son's face and disown him for a mere disagreement, but I'm pretty sure he was instrumental in turning his daughter (Azula) into a mega-crazy psycho-bitch.

People keep talking only about how Ozai was a terrible father to his son. Are you forgetting Azula? That little, bloodthirsty, psychotic girl he emotionally manipulated for most of her life into his most loyal servant only to throw her away when the time suited him? Azula was everything her father made her to be. Zuko suffered his neglect and physical abuse. Azula suffered his attentions, and that turned out just as bad.

Oh yeah, I vote for Ozai.

Goku.

Ozai is a douche, but at least he's an unapologetic douche. Goku is all "goodly" and "superhero" and shit, but all that goody-two-shoes crap only contrasts his neglect of his family.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was more to the whole face burning thing than just his kid pointing out a bad strategy. Yeah, the punishment was excessive, but his son was kind of a dick too...

Rarhnor:
Goku is definitely the worst father.

Ozai, while incredibly mean and downright evil to his own son, takes care of his other child Azula. Sure, Ozai is a bad father to Zuko, but not to Azula whom gets pandering and encouragement from him.

By takes care of, I assume you mean "drove insane." Because, by the end, that's exactly what she is. Crazy as hell, and I have a feeling firelord Ozai is to blame for that by pushing her to be perfect all the time while being cold, distant, callous, and an all-around terrible person maddened by the quest for power.

It'd be like having Kim Jong Eil (don't honestly know how to spell the name), the dictator of North Korea, as a father vs. having... I don't know, Bill Clinton as a father. I know Goku wasn't a philanderer, but the wayward aloofness of Clinton seems to be an adequate comparison and contrasts nicely with the blood-curdling insanity of Kim Jong.

Ozai is a worse person, but Goku is definitely the worst father. Ozai is abusive and violent, but he's only following the Fire Nation (feudal Japan) mold that fathers must have complete control of their children and are justified in using any means to discipline them. Besides, if Zuko's early memories are to be believed, he and his father had some good times before he turned into a power-mad psycho. On top of that- what do you expect from a genocidal megalomaniac? Hell, Zuko's just lucky he wasn't worse off, Goku doesn't have any excuse.

If Ozai is a strict disciplinarian that demands respect from his children to the point of abuse, and will lead to resentment in his children, then Goku is the father that takes grudging responsibility for his fatherhood but doesn't want his new demands to interfere with his comfortable bachelorhood and old hobbies, so he lets his kids eat a can frosting for dinner just to keep them quiet.

I'm usually with Chris but I have to say Ozai. No contest.

Furbyz:
People keep talking only about how Ozai was a terrible father to his son. Are you forgetting Azula? That little, bloodthirsty, psychotic girl he emotionally manipulated for most of her life into his most loyal servant only to throw her away when the time suited him? Azula was everything her father made her to be. Zuko suffered his neglect and physical abuse. Azula suffered his attentions, and that turned out just as bad.

This is a perfect example of why Goku is the better father and Ozai deserves the title of worst father ever.

"anime is dumb". sorry to break it to ya. avatar is not anime. it was made by Nickelodeon

hmmm... Ozai is worse.

Goku is a really bad father. And Goku wasn't the one who forced Gohan into fighting (initially); That would have been Piccolo, who killed Goku and kidnapped Gohan. I think Gohan underwent some Stockholm Syndrome and became attached to Piccolo. After the Vegeta battle and Gohan and Krillin went off to Namek, Goku was in the hospital and Gohan volunteered. After the Frieza battle Goku could have been transported back to Earth, but refused because he wanted to train with aliens. It wasn't until Trunks came with his warning that Goku started to train Gohan. that said, when Goku does appear to save the day, the first person he goes to is Gohan; Goku saved gohan from Nappa's foot and when Goku arrived on Namek, the first person he gave a senzu bean to was Gohan. Goku goes to Gohan before going to Krillin (his best friend). It is clear that Goku actually cares for Gohan. And some of the decisions Goku makes aren't his fault. He is technically retarded due to severe head trauma he suffered as a baby that re-wrote his personality.

Ozai is evil and as a father to Zuko is pretty messed up. Burned his son for calling him out on a really bad battle strategy. Banished his son to go on a wild goose chase and basically told his son to never come home. However Ozai's relationship with Azula seemed very fitting for two insane evil people. She was his pride and joy (as far as his children go) and it showed. He even left her to be Fire Lord, and to our knowledge, perhaps the only female fire lord. All in all, Ozai was more concerned with pleasing himself and boosting his ego than being a decent father to his children.

It should be said however that both Gohan and Zuko turned out to be outstanding members of society.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here