No Right Answer: Worst Father Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Cell saga, that is all I can say. This is where the guy who is the son of DEMON LORD PICCOLO calls out Goku for being a bad father when he tells Gohan to fight Cell (someone who Goku cannot beat).

But the guy who takes the cake is definitely Charles Vi Britannia, "Oh son you're mother was brutally murdered, your sister blinded and crippled and you horrifically traumatized by the entire scene?! WEAK FOOL I'M SENDING YOU AS A WAR PRISONER TO THE VERY PEOPLE I AM PLANNING ON KILLING AND TREATING AS SECOND CLASS CITIZENS!!! BYE NOW!!"

Ozai hands down. Gohan actually spent time with his Dad, even if you don't count the battles, they chilled together, ate like crazy together, and Goku actually trained him. Ozai? Get out, my fat, lazy, disgraced brother, who failed to end the war by the way, can train you. You know what else? I think I'll send my daughter, who I clearly like more, to kill my son, that sounds right. Azula? O ya she really messed up too. (Spoilers here for Avatar) Ozai asked his father, Firelord Azulon, after his eldest brother Iroh was defeated, for the right to the throne. Azulon got mad and told Ozai flat out no and that he must know the lost Iroh felt. Remember what was gonna happen? Remember what happened instead? Remember in the ending with Ozai being questioned and it implied he knew where you know who was? Not as spoilerly but this is the nail in the coffin.

I rest my case.

emeraldrafael:

Aprilgold:
... *why there aren't any Female saiyans* ... Seriously, the only thing I don't approve of is him dying to go train when there were other options, like, I don't know, GUNS FOR GODS SAKE!

Isnt Pan a saiyan? and I could have swore that Vegeta's daughter (bulla?) is one.

Plus theres an entire planet of them, and I saw a few females. There was even one in bardock (gokus father)'s crew. Now are there any Female super saiyans, i have no idea. I think only Pan would be, but I might be wrong.

Also, guns against who? A gun didnt work agaisnt Raditz, and havent been shown to work on any of the people that came to earth to destroy it (though oddly swords do), so I wouldnt imaginea gun is a good idea.

Because Toriyama, along with being racist, is sexist. He stated females can't be super sayians in an interview. *edit oh and they all died with the planet Vegeta, but ya Pan is a quarter and Bulla is half. That is if you follow the GT canon.

No contest: Ozai is the worst father.

Goku's a goof, sure and while he doesn't make the best parenting decisions, he at least tries to do some good for the world and his family. In my book he'll at least get points for doing the wrong thing for the right reason. Oh, and given that he and his family are really the ONLY line of defense against these ancient, evil super-powered-monster-ninjas they're fighting all the time, he's got to make sure Gohan's tough enough to carry on the legacy when Goku inevitably dies for -like- the eighth time.

Ozai, on the other hand, is the CAUSE of not only most of his family's problems, but most of the WORLD's problems. He had no problem killing one of his kids if it meant a shot at the throne, and would have gladly burned Zuko alive during Souzin's comet. He permanently scared his son's face and banished him (for what should have been for life) for objecting to a General's plan in his war room, and then raised his daughter to be meglo-maniacal sociopath.

Goku may have been an airhead, but I don't ever recall him knowingly going out of his way to permanently shame/kill his son.

The majority of the very first episode of DBZ is Goku looking for his son. Gohan, a frightened, harmless four year old, is attacked by lions, falling off of cliffs, and riding rapids on a log down a waterfall. Goku spent the entire time on a cloud flying around.

Goku, you're awesome, but your parenting skills suck.

newwiseman:

emeraldrafael:

Aprilgold:
... *why there aren't any Female saiyans* ... Seriously, the only thing I don't approve of is him dying to go train when there were other options, like, I don't know, GUNS FOR GODS SAKE!

Isnt Pan a saiyan? and I could have swore that Vegeta's daughter (bulla?) is one.

Plus theres an entire planet of them, and I saw a few females. There was even one in bardock (gokus father)'s crew. Now are there any Female super saiyans, i have no idea. I think only Pan would be, but I might be wrong.

Also, guns against who? A gun didnt work agaisnt Raditz, and havent been shown to work on any of the people that came to earth to destroy it (though oddly swords do), so I wouldnt imaginea gun is a good idea.

Because Toriyama, along with being racist, is sexist. He stated females can't be super sayians in an interview. *edit oh and they all died with the planet Vegeta, but ya Pan is a quarter and Bulla is half. That is if you follow the GT canon.

Oka. but that wasnt the question about being super saiyan, just saiyan.

So we've established there are in fact female saiyans.

AquaAscension:
Snip :)

True, she danced at the borderline of sanity quite a lot in the later episodes, but from what we see of her child hood, Ozai didn't as much "push" her as he encouraged her. We hear from Zuko, refering to something Ozai said:"Azula was born lucky, I'm just lucky to be born". Ozai, plain and simple, favored Azula.
She even calls out her father, not for taking it further like she did.

Y'know, when your kid comes at you with a drawing that looks like a bunch of colored noodles having sex? The kid proudly exclaims "it's a house". You say it's the prettiest drawing ever, and hang it on the fridge. The kid goes on thinking "Hey! My dad liked it, I must make the prettiest drawings EVER!". Well that kid is Azula from where I sit. She feels entitled to power and respect due to her fathers pandering. She doesn't face reality, because everyone around her fear her father, which results in this perfectionist behavior.

In fact, it's kinda topical isn't it? Strict parenting vs. mild-mannered parenting. Outcast and neglected, but morally balanced child vs. pandered and endeared, yet power-obsessed child.

Loved the editing!
And Fire Lord Ozai wins, hands down.

Bretty:
Anime and general other cartoons, IMO, are for children.

That's why I choose to stay a child at heart.

ReaperzXIII:
Cell saga, that is all I can say. This is where the guy who is the son of DEMON LORD PICCOLO calls out Goku for being a bad father when he tells Gohan to fight Cell (someone who Goku cannot beat).

But the guy who takes the cake is definitely Charles Vi Britannia, "Oh son you're mother was brutally murdered, your sister blinded and crippled and you horrifically traumatized by the entire scene?! WEAK FOOL I'M SENDING YOU AS A WAR PRISONER TO THE VERY PEOPLE I AM PLANNING ON KILLING AND TREATING AS SECOND CLASS CITIZENS!!! BYE NOW!!"

There was a lot more to it then that but those are spoilers...

Goku isn't a bad guy but he is a TERRIBLE father.

Bretty:
Anime and general other cartoons, IMO, are for children.

That's interesting. I wonder how you arrived at that? Granted, many cartoon ARE meant for little kids, but that's probably because it's easier to do a kids show as a cartoon than a live-action one.

For my money, Avatar: The Last Airbender, was not only one of the best cartoons I've ever seen; it was one of the best SHOWS I've ever seen. I was all set to dismiss it by Ep.1, but I had committed to watching up to Ep.6. And I'm glad I did, because at that point; I was hooked. I'd gladly watch all three books of Avatar in one sitting than endure the running liquid crap of most 'reality' shows.

I used to think like you, actually, but I wound up learning that just because there are a lot of cartoons for kids, does not mean that ALL cartoons are meant for kids or that ONLY kids can appreciate the story in a cartoon.

honestdiscussioner:
How in the world can anyone say Goku is a worse father than Ozai?

You've got "I scarred my child for life and banished him from my prescence" vs. "I left".

All you people voting for Goku, would you really rather have Ozai as a father? Goku was always kind and encouraging to his son, and Ozai was willing to sacrifice him. Come on, how does there even a debate?

This is why I decided to read some of the thread before posting. I thought SURELY someone gets it and this guy does. Neglectful father vs someone who physically scared his son for life and then through him out of the country. I can't fathom how people can say that a dad who is flaky and often absent is worse than a dad who (irl equivalent) puts their son's face on a lit stovetop and then throws their son out to be homeless. Why did he do this, btw? Because his son disagreed with him. Goku is simply a poor father. Ozai is monstrous.

twistedmic:

Firefilm:
Worst Father Ever

The boys force Dan to edit an episode all about Anime. This has resulted in Dan refusing to pick a winner. Go on our twitter, post on our boards, and mail us seductive pictures to choose the winner on this week's debate between Ozai and Goku for worst father ever.

Watch Video

I guess they didn't go with Gendo Ikari (from Neon Genesis Evangelion) because it would have made too short of a show. The mere mentioning of his name would be enough to bestow the title 'Worst Father Ever'.
Out of the two, I'd have to say that Ozai was the worst. Not only did he fuck up his son's face and disown him for a mere disagreement, but I'm pretty sure he was instrumental in turning his daughter (Azula) into a mega-crazy psycho-bitch.

as much as im in agreement that Ozai is the worst father ever(goku at least cared for his son and didnt try to kill him) azula was already manipultive and sadsitc to begin with.

to put it bluntly: bitch was already crazy

I've long argued that Goku was a terrible dad before this episode but, I still have to give my vote to Ozai. Ozai is a horrible parent even when he wasn't trying to be. The son who he deemed a failure, was scarred, banished, and eventually abandon the nation to fight for the good guys. But what about that daughter of his that he prized so much? Well she grew up into a total psycho, with no real friends, and had a mental breakdown, leaving her a sobbing mass of crazy.

At least when Goku tries to be active in Gohan's life Gohan tends to get stronger for it.

I'm going with Ozai as damaging as it is to have your parents abandon you. I think actual physical abuse followed by favoring another child would fuck you up a lot worse. It's harder for the child to rationalize that they have a 'bad dad' when they see him be a good dad to his other kid.
flakey and a bit selfish vs. actual abuse and active hatred.

restoshammyman:
"anime is dumb". sorry to break it to ya. avatar is not anime. it was made by Nickelodeon

Someone who doesn't like anime isn't going to realize that.

Beryl77:

Vausch:

Beryl77:
Goku deliberately stayed death and missed the growth of his first son and missed the birth of his second son and let him grow up without a father, just so that he could train while he was dead. If that's not a bad and selfish father. And the worst thing is, he doesn't even know what he's doing to his kids.

Goku stayed dead because he thought that HE was the cause of all the bad things happening on Earth, thinking trouble just seemed to follow him no matter where he goes. If you think about it, he stayed dead so he could make the world safer for everybody, including Gohan. The training was an afterthought.

Really? I don't remember it that well, it's been a while since I've seen DBZ. Oh well, maybe he isn't such an evil bastard.

Well, that is the case. On top of that, if you consider Toriyama intended to end the series after the Cell Games he doesn't seem that bad about Goten either. Odds are he hadn't even intended for Chichi to be with child when Goku died.

That part of the story always got me a little frightened honestly. Goku and Gohan in their Super Saiyan states were shown to have little control over their strength as they kept breaking furniture and dishes on accident. So did Goten's conception go that rough or was it prior to the mastery of the Super Saiyan...

1. Avatar is not anime. seriously.

2. How is "Ozai's just a dick to everyone" justification for his horrible parenting, and make Goku worse?? if anything, that's proof Ozais a terrible parent. The decision should be based on who treats their kids better.

3. There's no way that the guy who raised that psycho Azula is a better parent than Goku.

Because Goku is a better example of a good human being . . . the other dude (whatever his name is. I've never watched Avatar). is the worse father.

It has to be Goku. Goku is such a bad father that two of the original bad guys turn out to be better parents than him.
Picollo steps in as the major father figure for Gohan whilst Goku is off doing other things. And Vegeta for all his selfish power hungry personality actually by the end of the series becomes a deeply caring father and husband even if he doesn't say so very often, oh and whats Goku doing during all of this? thats right training with some kid. Goku's such a bad Dad he doesn't even realise.

Rarhnor:
Goku is definitely the worst father.

Ozai, while incredibly mean and downright evil to his own son, takes care of his other child Azula. Sure, Ozai is a bad father to Zuko, but not to Azula whom gets pandering and encouragement from him.

Goku loves his family so much that after Cell was killed he thought he should stay dead so the whole planet would stop having people coming around trying to take it over or destroy it he tried to train his son to be a better replacement and later on Uub in the hopes that he wouldn't need to be the main defender of the planet anymore maybe meaning he'd get more time with his family?

Ozai on the other hand had no issues trying to kill his son not once but twice 1st when Ozai himself tried to get a grab for power by passing Iroh to be the next FireLord and again during the day of Black Sun right after the eclipse by shooting Lightning at him face to face.Wait make that 2 and a half the fire-bender duel is probably considered finish-able by killing your opponent with no problem meaning without Zuko's refusal Ozai might not have stopped with just beating/defeating his son.

Goku never actually beat his kids(Only trained with them to make each other stronger)
Ozai wouldn't wait to kill them if they didn't benefit him being alive.

Goku died a few times while saving the planet several times
Ozai betrayed his brother's rite of passage because Iroh stopped his attack when his son died.

Ozai's worse because he's actively negative with his kids,while Goku might be gone for long tracks of time (Full Metal Alchemist) he's never passed up a chance to be with his family when he was on earth and a crisis wasn't around the corner.(Except for when he met Uub.)

Ozai is FAR worse. Goku never did bad things with the intention to hurt his children, while Ozai did (or at the very least, could have prevented harm but didn't feel like it.)

Goku, by far. The father that doesn't know he's being bad is worse than the one that intentionally endangers his kid.

Though I believe that Kyle is right.... and that Ozai is the worse father.... I feel Chris made his argument better and therefore I give this victory to Chris.

My Vote: Chris Wins

Not only is Ozai a worse father, but there is a worse father than him.

Zak Greymayre.

Defending Their Kid:
Goku: Sacrifices his own life (multiple times, mind) to save not only the world but, more importantly in his mind, his son.

Ozai: Would sacrifice his son for more power.

Point: Goku

Teaching Their Kid:
Goku: Teaches son how to train, fight, and generally maintain exceptionally good physical health in between studies (note that Gohan turns out to be a scholar, not a fighter). He also clearly knows his sons abilities and limits, and uses that knowledge to bring out the best in his son. Throwing Gohan against Cell, Goku knew for sure that Gohan was going to win. Keep in mind that Goku's entire starting fight was to make sure Cell's power was where he thought it was, and that Gohan could actually beat him.

Ozai: Burns his own kid's face, doesn't teach him much of anything once he realized Azula is the more powerful, generally ignores Zuko. Not only that, but he taught Azula to be batshit crazy.

Abandoning Their Kid:
Goku: In the process of sacrificing himself to protect his son, he leaves his family behind. He also ensures Gohan has a father-figure in Piccolo, and Chi Chi is more than capable of taking care of a house by herself.

Ozai: Kicks his kid out after disfiguring him, then banishes him from all of his friends and family. Iroh accompanies Zuko because he doesn't want to abandon his nephew, not because Ozai does anything to help his son. In fact, the only reason Zuko was able to get anything done at all was because his uncle still had influence in the Fire Nation. After years of being gone, Zuko is only accepted back because Ozai believed he killed the Avatar (keep in mind, Goku strongly encouraged Gohan's passivism). Not only that, but Ozai wasn't there for Zuko during his childhood in the first place, despite not being dead like Goku was.

End result is Goku is a better dad, hands down.

Ozai while harsh DOES offer some form of redemption to his child. Sure it seems impossible, but you have to remember that he eventually does do it and Ozai lets him back into the Fire Nation, royal treatment and all. Goku just leaves his kid and doesn't really offer him anything.

Goku is worse.

Goku is disqualified from the contest by being legally retarded.
Ozai was (presumably) of sound mind and body when he did all those horrible things to Zuko.

Goku at age 18 literally didn't know the difference between marriage and steak, thought the moon was made of cheese and thought flirting involved punching the girl in the solarplexus.

Everything that went wrong in Zuko's life can be blamed on Ozai.
In Gohan's case, the one most at fault was clearly the child protection agency.
To be frank I am amazed Chi-Chi wasn't locked up for statuatory rape after Gohan's conception.

Ozai was an asshole, but Goku was an idiot. That pretty much sums up the stance of things, right?

Goku is the worse of the two, at least Ozai is evil he represents evil in all ways so being a craptastic father fits. Goku on the other hand is more or less the hero of everything in DB,DBZ and so on yet his son actually modeled himself after one of his rivals Piccolo to the point that he dressed like him. Goku also seems to have the IQ of well what he is a guy who never went to school.

Ozai. Goku at least had good intentions and legitimate reasons for putting his sons in dangerous situations. Ozai was a dick for the sake of dickishness.

Well, by far, the worst father ever is Ozai. I don't have much of an argument. Goku is just a bad parent. Ozai essentially said, "Leave, never come back, ever, unless you find something really mind blowing, like a kid who hasn't been seen for 100 years." Goku just had some dick moves, nothing more.

Aprilgold:

Dreiko:
A lot of people here don't seem to get what dragonball is going for, what it means to be a Saiyan, how it fits within Japanese culture and a bunch of other things of that sort.

In that fictional anime story which is not about things existing in reality and should not be judged as though it were, fighting is fun, challenging strong opponents is exciting and pain or "abuse" is just something to shrug like a man and move onwards despite of. Goku is a perfect father for that fictional reality, to judge him on a reality without planet-destroying-aliens attacking at every second is beyond unfair.

Forgot to say this, isn't Dragon Ball based around Samuri traditions *why there aren't any Female saiyans* because the whole thing is equated to it. Seriously, the only thing I don't approve of is him dying to go train when there were other options, like, I don't know, GUNS FOR GODS SAKE!

Uhh, there are female Saiyans lol. How do you think the concept of a pure-blooded saiyan even exists if only males were saiyans. One of Bardock's main nakama is in fact a woman.

@entire thread of ignorant people:

It is a common saiyan practice to sent their BABIES to low-power level planets (like earth) so that they'll exterminate all the population and then the planets will be sold. You really can't be holding Goku to the standards of human parents in reality and to pretend that you should is ignorant. Saiyan children and concepts of parenthood are not human ones.

Also, Goku grew up in a mountain with and old martial arts guy and monsters as his entire company, he never went to school, it is part of his character him being obstinately ignorant of manners and traditions in normal human society. This was done because for kids back in the mid 80s in Japan, it seemed a nice fantasy to not be bound down by all the oppressing societal rules and filial piety that were forced upon them.

This feels like a way to just get more comments on the forum...
Aw well, I'll pitch in
Goku.
As stated above Ozai is the bad guy. He's expected to be evil.
Goku? Is supposed to be nice.
Plus, Goku just goes and trains other kids. Ozai just ignores his son, but LOVES (or at least until I stopped watch) his daughter. Loving one child is better than ignoring both.

http://roosterteeth.com/comics/strip.php?id=572&page=1 here is a good contender also I say goku because ozai is just evil in genral

Ozai is an evil dick and a horrible father.
Goku is just a bad father but not the worst.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here