The New War on Terror

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm glad the guy's recovering and video games could use a positive note lately.

Bradeck:

Not to sound dickish, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've never seen the shit in the real world. It's all well and good to tear people apart with .50cals and hear the screams, and toss 'nades around a corner to take out the baddies, as long as you're viewing it in a safe area right? Because you, being a human, can differentiate between the real world and the imaginary.

However, imagine for a second you ACTUALLY HAD witnessed those types of things in the real world. The imagery before you, no matter how fake, would still possess a strong link to the things you had previously experienced. Imagine you had to take all the pieces of your best buddy, the most recent victim of an IED, and collect them in baggies to ship back to his wife. Would you want to play video games about that shit?

You can't imagine what it's like to take another life. Or five, or ten. So you can't imagine what it's like to hear someone say re-living it would be helpful.

Please don't say "Not to sound like a dick" followed by a Dick-ish statement, because then the first line doesn't work. I'm not a phyciatrist, and I don't know how severe, severe effects are for the condition. I say something not reality based, even if they know its all fake, again, I don't know how severe, severe is.
Yeah, you bring up a lot of great points, but again, I don't know how severe, severe is and reliving the could worsen it, also why having it take place somewhere else might be helpful. There was something on Tetris about it reducing the conditions.

I am no expert on the condition, mate. So don't come out with a "Don't be a dick" statement then contradict it.
Still, you bring up a ton of good points.

Aprilgold:

Bradeck:

snip.

Please don't say "Not to sound like a dick" followed by a Dick-ish statement, because then the first line doesn't work. I'm not a phyciatrist, and I don't know how severe, severe effects are for the condition. I say something not reality based, even if they know its all fake, again, I don't know how severe, severe is.
Yeah, you bring up a lot of great points, but again, I don't know how severe, severe is and reliving the could worsen it, also why having it take place somewhere else might be helpful. There was something on Tetris about it reducing the conditions.

I am no expert on the condition, mate. So don't come out with a "Don't be a dick" statement then contradict it.

You're right, and after reading, I apologize. It gets to me how every person thinks they have an answer, and I should have handled it better.

My response to the statement about professionals; How can a psychological cure be found by someone who has no idea what the patient is feeling? How does a psychologist attempt to relate to someone that they have no experience with? I honestly have to question the validity of the science based on that. If this works in the future and eliminates some Vets night terrors, or drives the voices out, then great. I just feel this is the wrong direction, entirely.

Again, not bashing video games here, but the method behind a science that claims to help alleviate something that is admittedly rarely understood even by top minds.

Bradeck:
My response to the statement about professionals; How can a psychological cure be found by someone who has no idea what the patient is feeling? How does a psychologist attempt to relate to someone that they have no experience with? I honestly have to question the validity of the science based on that. If this works in the future and eliminates some Vets night terrors, or drives the voices out, then great. I just feel this is the wrong direction, entirely.

That's one of the classic problems with psychology, yes, and why so many people like support groups formed of people who've been in similar situations.

Bradeck:

Aprilgold:

Bradeck:

snip.

You're right, and after reading, I apologize. It gets to me how every person thinks they have an answer, and I should have handled it better.

Again, not bashing video games here, but the method behind a science that claims to help alleviate something that is admittedly rarely understood even by top minds.

No, no, no need to feel bad, I understand where your coming from. Its all cool, if anything I feel like the dick here, but its alright, you have a shit ton of good points, my good man.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Baresark:
Queue

Cue. It's "Cue" in the context of "cuing" an event. People are not lining up on "queue."

Sorry to nitpick, but seriously.

Zachary Amaranth:

Baresark:
Queue

Cue. It's "Cue" in the context of "cuing" an event. People are not lining up on "queue."

Sorry to nitpick, but seriously.

It's cool, if no one corrects anyone, no one learns anything.

Baresark:

It's cool, if no one corrects anyone, no one learns anything.

I just didn't want to come off as though I was flaming you. There's a lot of that whole "LOL U CANT SPELL" crap out there, so....

General BrEeZy:
oh are you kidding. video games are one HELL of a stress-relief! makes sense to me.

I thought that was rage? No, wait, rage is one hell of a anesthetic.

Bradeck:
Playing FPSs sounds like a sure fire way to REIGNITE my inner demons, not cure them.

Oh, totally. If the media has taught me anything, its that anything that even vaguely sounds like a gunshot makes Vets have mass murder inducing flashbacks.

TheDarkEricDraven:

General BrEeZy:
oh are you kidding. video games are one HELL of a stress-relief! makes sense to me.

Bradeck:
Playing FPSs sounds like a sure fire way to REIGNITE my inner demons, not cure them.

Oh, totally. If the media has taught me anything, its that anything that even vaguely sounds like a gunshot makes Vets have mass murder inducing flashbacks.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but media aside, that does happen, a good deal. A guy in my company came back, found his neighbor digging a hole by the road, and tried to get him arrested. Turned out he was putting in a mailbox.

Same with giant dumpsters being set down by the garbage trucks. Sounds EXACTLY like a mortar or rocket strike.

Without video-games I would be a ball of rage 30 - 60 mins playing games and I'm all happy 8D

Bradeck:

Well, frequently there are therapists who help vet are vets themselves. I think that can make a difference, when it comes to getting people to open up.

The other thing about your line of logic is that it suggests that unless you're a doctor, you can't help another doctor, or a football player is the only one who can help another one, etc etc.

Therapists, psychologists, etc, they are trained to help people-and many of them even specialize.

That all said: an 80% success rate does seem remarkable, however maybe that's what happens when you have people who are actually interested in getting well--showing up for their appointments, engaging in the therapy, etc. Trust but verify, you know?

i messed up my post. dang it! disregard this post! xD

TheDarkEricDraven:

General BrEeZy:

Bradeck:

quoting Zaeed from Mass Effect are you?? niiiice.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here