Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

TheKasp:

Xan Krieger:

nyysjan:

/facepalm
You know, it's called English language for a reason.

Which makes it all the funnier since it means the english can't speak english right.

Yeah, because only the american pronounciation is right... Are you serious?

Look at the word, then look at how wrong the other countries are. They're pronouncing letters that aren't even freakin there. This is a case where America is in fact right. Also I'm not trolling, I looked at the word and how Britain and American say it and the American way makes more sense based on the letters in the word.

Kahani:
-awesome summation of the Ultra Marines -

Thank you.

Also, I'm really enjoying the game so far (My brothers paid for it, I just paid the tax and provided the ID). My only complaint is that I'm even finding EASY difficulty to be too hard, unless the higher difficulties actually cut back on the number of Rocketboyz. About halfway through the game, it became a cover-based shooter as I had to struggle to not die to all of the goddamn rockets and sneaky Squigs.

The shield upgrade didn't really help me much either. I'd much rather have preferred something to increase my combat-refilled health bar instead of regenerating shield, so that even when in the thick of melee, armor gone but health remaining high through the constant stream of executions, I could survive the stray rocket or squig that impolitely forgot to roar first.

This is also the first game I found that actually made cutscenes enjoyable. Sure, all the epic moments are cutscenes (I wish they were gameplay too!) but with the pace and nature of the game, I found them to be some pretty refreshing opportunities to put the controller down.

This game gets bonus points for accurately and convincingly representing the Bolter weapons, though a more visible explosion radius would have really helped.

I almost felt sorry for killing the Ork Warboss. He took all the fun with him too.

Ironically, I found hard to be too easy... :P

ACman:
"Gears of "God of War""

I want an Inquisitor game. Fly around the 40k universe KOTOR style with a Navy psychic Navigator, My collection of Ordos Assassins (Careful with the Eversor, he's Cr-azy.), Some Deathwatch, A Grey Knight, An imprisoned chaos daemon and maybe a space elf or two.

It'd be Rad. Come-on Bioware. You could make stories in a universe where a giant space robot would actually make sense.

That's going to be the 40K MMO I reckon. Can't wait for this. I loved it. Seriously.

Thank Elpihas for taking out cover-based shooting.
"We...should take away their metal bawxes!"

Reference aside, I really like this game. Got it a bit late due to overseas shipping but I got it for an insanely good price so I'm happy. The Campaign was a bit boring in some areas but overall, it kept me entertained and excited.

This game got very monotonus for me. However, you can't ignore how perfect its aesthetics fit the 40K universe.

The one thing that always bothered me was the fact the the orks were speaking near perfect english

TRR:

The one thing that always bothered me was the fact the the orks were speaking near perfect english

Yeah... that bothered me as well at points, now that I think of it. I was constantly confused because the Orks sounded just like many of the Marines from Halo, and the few Imperial Guardsmen I fought alongside. At least the Warboss' voice was right.

I see the game as an advertisement for the WH40K franchise first and an awesome game second, much like the first Dawn of War. It provides a story that has enough information to be cohesive and relevant to itself and (mostly) satisfy the pre-existing fans. But while newcomers are given enough knowledge to know what's going on, there's enough "assumed" knowledge to encourage them to buy more WH40k products to learn more about the awesome universe. The Ultramarines were chosen as the protagonist chapter for two reasons:
1. They are the most iconic chapter of the most iconic faction.
2. They can familiarize new players with the concept of what the Space Marines are about, without bogging them down with having to first establish the baseline of the Space Marines, then explaining how the chapter you are playing differs from that norm.

I found the characters to be very interesting, given the source material. What's with accusation of Leiutenant Mira being absolutely enthralled by the Protagonist? When she was first introduced, she was the only Imperial Guardsman not absolutely enthralled with Titus and the Blueberry Smurfs, and at certain times gave him only minimal respect. Fortunately for her, Captain Titus has deep respect for the lives of the Imperial Guardsmen as well.

I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I'm kind of hoping there's some climax and resolution to the tensions brewing between Leandross and his captain. I took his line "The Codex Astartes advises against jump-jetting blindly into enemy fire... with good reason" to be a polite way of telling Captain Titus "Your orders nearly got me killed," instead of just reciting protocol.

Scow2:

TRR:

Yeah... that bothered me as well at points, now that I think of it. I was constantly confused because the Orks sounded just like many of the Marines from Halo, and the few Imperial Guardsmen I fought alongside. At least the Warboss' voice was right.

I see the game as an advertisement for the WH40K franchise first and an awesome game second, much like the first Dawn of War. It provides a story that has enough information to be cohesive and relevant to itself and (mostly) satisfy the pre-existing fans. But while newcomers are given enough knowledge to know what's going on, there's enough "assumed" knowledge to encourage them to buy more WH40k products to learn more about the awesome universe. The Ultramarines were chosen as the protagonist chapter for two reasons:
1. They are the most iconic chapter of the most iconic faction.
2. They can familiarize new players with the concept of what the Space Marines are about, without bogging them down with having to first establish the baseline of the Space Marines, then explaining how the chapter you are playing differs from that norm.

I found the characters to be very interesting, given the source material. What's with accusation of Leiutenant Mira being absolutely enthralled by the Protagonist? When she was first introduced, she was the only Imperial Guardsman not absolutely enthralled with Titus and the Blueberry Smurfs, and at certain times gave him only minimal respect. Fortunately for her, Captain Titus has deep respect for the lives of the Imperial Guardsmen as well.

I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I'm kind of hoping there's some climax and resolution to the tensions brewing between Leandross and his captain. I took his line "The Codex Astartes advises against jump-jetting blindly into enemy fire... with good reason" to be a polite way of telling Captain Titus "Your orders nearly got me killed," instead of just reciting protocol.

Knee-jerk idiocy. Born from a hyper-feminist dogma that seems to pride it self in belligerence for no good reason is my take.

The former seems to be pretty much unbiased fact, the latter is my opinion and may well be wrong.

Redryhno:
I like the 40k games and all, but I wish they would do something other than Space Marines as the main characters, I mean, who wouldn't want to play a campaign as an Aspect Warrior or Ork Boyz or (Emperor and Harlequin strike me down for admitting this) a Tyranid? Personally I think that they need to make a 40k game that includes like a six hour campaign for each of the Officio Assassinorium branches, they could really go for different gameplay mechanics for each since each has their own way of doing things and would make around a 30 hour game in campaigns alone, and then release different DLC for each branch that adds like another couple hours to each, or just make each branch a ten or twenty hour game in itself

dawn of war dark crusade,
tau
orc
space marine
imperial guard
eldar
necron
chaos.
choose one you like then take over a planet.

I fucking LOVE them for adding Relictors as a pre-made paintscheme considering they're quite a little known chapter, I used to collect them and still have a 2-3k army hanging about somewhere.

SP was fun, if perhaps a little predictable. I do wish they'd push the boat out a touch more with their writing, considering the sheer amount of fluff they have to work with they could do MUCH more then "start fighting orks, chaos appears, oh noes" (but at least no Eldar filling the same predictable roll this time). On the other hand, inquisition, sweet, please say we can play as an inquisitor in SM2.

MP is perhaps a touch too easy at the moment, I can fairly easily get a 11:1 or 2 k/d by using a melta combined with the storm bolter simply by rushing in firing off a quick blast before switching and ripping through their exposed hp, not to mention the plasma cannon..
But hopefully they'll patch in some weapon tweeks soon enough.

boyvirgo666:

The game would have been mu better if you could play as an imperial guardsmen i think. I like space marines and all but guardsmen make for better character.

Thought about this as well but then realised how gimped the action would be, you'd be limited to very few weapons, combat would be pretty bland and lack all of the flashy over the top brutality which Marines enjoy.
A game based on the IG would be great, just not in this style.

All in all I liked the game, it was short but more than 8-hours of linerar shooting galleries would really drag the game down. It was short, basic, but it was polished and I think would make for a great springboard into a better, more extensive sequel.

I liked:
- The shooting
The Boltgun is just perfect both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay

- The fighting
Let's see a bigger combo system in the sequel!

- The story
Easy to get into, to the point, and even if you're not a Warhammer fan you won't be left scratching your head. Orks bad, Chaos Bad, Inquisition shifty, Ultramarines good.

- Captain Titus
See? You can have a main character in a shooter game who doesn't act like a moody teenager pissed off at his parents for making him turn down his Coldplay CD's. Oh my daddy's dead/missing! Suck it up, princess.

I disliked:
- More brown and gray shooting galleries.
Joy. We couldn't set this on a jungle world or maybe a magma planet, or one of the millions of exotic worlds that exist in the Warhammer 40k Universe. No, it was "Generic Human City of the Future #40,000."

- The arsenals, while fun, were too restrictive.
There's nothing in the tabletop rules that states a man with a thunderhammer can't also carry a wield a meltagun. And Lascannons are technically heavy weapons, like heavy bolters, so why the hell can't we keep them?

- And the melta-gun and stormbolter were all wrong.
C'mon, THQ. You KNOW how a melta-gun works. You KNOW how a Stormbolter works. Don't change them just 'cause you want to.

- Pistol weapons that don't act like pistol weapons.
Another no-brainer. Pistol weapons in Warhammer 40,000 also serve as close-combat weapons. Titus should be pistol whipping guys, or at least taking the occassional shot at one. Your main menu cinematic even has Titus using his bolt pistol in close combat, so what the hell? There's no excuse for teasing us like that. What's more, taking a pistol doesn't offer any, and I mean ANY advantage, because Titus can just instantly whip out his boltgun or some other far better weapon in any given situation, ditto for when he needs to switch back to his melee weapons. Make it faster for Titus to use his pistol with his melee weapon, giving us a reason to use it, and make it harder for us to switch to Melee if we're using weapons other than our pistols. Otherwise they're just infinite ammo pea shooters that really, with all the ammo lying around, we'll never need.

How I'd make the game better
- Let's see MORE weapons.
The Space Marines have a huge arsenal and you don't let us pick our favorites and keep them? Don't make weapons that are progressively stronger as the game goes on, give us an array of weapons and let us decide which we want to keep.

- Heavy weapons are not the exception.
I was enjoying myself when I had a Heavy Bolter. I felt a like a Devastator. But then there's no options to take one in the single player as a permanent weapon. Again, this is a customization option you don't give us. And instead of letting us play with all the heavy weapons, all we ever see besides the heavy bolter is an autocannon? Space Marines don't even use hand-held autocannons! Or Vengance Grenade Launchers for that matter, but I really liked that weapon so I won't go too far into that.

- More vehicles and vehicle sections
And none of this lamby pamby Imperial Guard crap. I wanna see Rhinos, Predators, LAND RAIDERS. They're Space Marines! You mention throughout the game there are more than just three Ultramarines on the planet. There's no excuse for this!

Ugh. I just know I'm gonna see Titus/Mira shipping when I go wandering deviantArt.

BUT. It was a fun game. I'd even call it a great one. But uh, there's one issue I have that ruined that score. I'd tell you what it is, but, well...

YOUR NAT ISN'T SET TO OPEN.

SnakeoilSage:
All in all I liked the game, it was short but more than 8-hours of linerar shooting galleries would really drag the game down. It was short, basic, but it was polished and I think would make for a great springboard into a better, more extensive sequel.

I liked:
- The shooting
The Boltgun is just perfect both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay

- The fighting
Let's see a bigger combo system in the sequel!

- The story
Easy to get into, to the point, and even if you're not a Warhammer fan you won't be left scratching your head. Orks bad, Chaos Bad, Inquisition shifty, Ultramarines good.

- Captain Titus
See? You can have a main character in a shooter game who doesn't act like a moody teenager pissed off at his parents for making him turn down his Coldplay CD's. Oh my daddy's dead/missing! Suck it up, princess.

I disliked:
- More brown and gray shooting galleries.
Joy. We couldn't set this on a jungle world or maybe a magma planet, or one of the millions of exotic worlds that exist in the Warhammer 40k Universe. No, it was "Generic Human City of the Future #40,000."

- The arsenals, while fun, were too restrictive.
There's nothing in the tabletop rules that states a man with a thunderhammer can't also carry a wield a meltagun. And Lascannons are technically heavy weapons, like heavy bolters, so why the hell can't we keep them?

- And the melta-gun and stormbolter were all wrong.
C'mon, THQ. You KNOW how a melta-gun works. You KNOW how a Stormbolter works. Don't change them just 'cause you want to.

- Pistol weapons that don't act like pistol weapons.
Another no-brainer. Pistol weapons in Warhammer 40,000 also serve as close-combat weapons. Titus should be pistol whipping guys, or at least taking the occassional shot at one. Your main menu cinematic even has Titus using his bolt pistol in close combat, so what the hell? There's no excuse for teasing us like that. What's more, taking a pistol doesn't offer any, and I mean ANY advantage, because Titus can just instantly whip out his boltgun or some other far better weapon in any given situation, ditto for when he needs to switch back to his melee weapons. Make it faster for Titus to use his pistol with his melee weapon, giving us a reason to use it, and make it harder for us to switch to Melee if we're using weapons other than our pistols. Otherwise they're just infinite ammo pea shooters that really, with all the ammo lying around, we'll never need.

How I'd make the game better
- Let's see MORE weapons.
The Space Marines have a huge arsenal and you don't let us pick our favorites and keep them? Don't make weapons that are progressively stronger as the game goes on, give us an array of weapons and let us decide which we want to keep.

- Heavy weapons are not the exception.
I was enjoying myself when I had a Heavy Bolter. I felt a like a Devastator. But then there's no options to take one in the single player as a permanent weapon. Again, this is a customization option you don't give us. And instead of letting us play with all the heavy weapons, all we ever see besides the heavy bolter is an autocannon? Space Marines don't even use hand-held autocannons! Or Vengance Grenade Launchers for that matter, but I really liked that weapon so I won't go too far into that.

- More vehicles and vehicle sections
And none of this lamby pamby Imperial Guard crap. I wanna see Rhinos, Predators, LAND RAIDERS. They're Space Marines! You mention throughout the game there are more than just three Ultramarines on the planet. There's no excuse for this!

Ugh. I just know I'm gonna see Titus/Mira shipping when I go wandering deviantArt.

BUT. It was a fun game. I'd even call it a great one. But uh, there's one issue I have that ruined that score. I'd tell you what it is, but, well...

YOUR NAT ISN'T SET TO OPEN.

Tbh, why would the Space Marines bother being sent to a planet with orks if it's a jungle/Magma city? They only get sent in when there's something at stake, or some debt to call in. And even then, there needs to be actual people and huge cities to make it worth while. XD They wouldn't sent a chapter to the ass end of no where to help some krill farmers.

And I think if they made the Stormy more like two bolters put together, people would complain about the ezi-mode weapon.

I thought it was awesome tbh. The way he switched between weapons makes sense. Since Space Marines are epic and super fast etc.

Honestly? I think they should have had lightening claws and stuff. That would be awesome. Or a combat shield to block/soak up bullets and a melee weapon. Either way, lovin' it.

Mr C:

boyvirgo666:
See this game is kinda hit and miss. If you like 40k youl be just fine. Gameplay wise outside the health regen system the game works fine and is plenty fun. But i have one major complaint. That is now how you pronounce lieutenant.

Edit: yes i am aware that some European countries pronounce it that way but i dont care it sounds dumb and the Etymology disagrees with that pronunciation.

You mean the English pronounce it incorrectly?

Please make an effort with grammar and meaning if you are going to criticise (holy shit he used an s!!!) the use of language.

You have also misused the word etymology. It simply has to do with the origins of words and how they change over time. It has nothing to do with 'correct' pronunciation.

You fail.

OT - this game make you feel like a 40K space marine. If only I could be Blood Angel

Etymology refers to the origins of the word as well.

Xan Krieger:

xGraeme63x:

boyvirgo666:
Edit: yes i am aware that some European countries pronounce it that way but i dont care it sounds dumb and the Etymology disagrees with that pronunciation.

That's how the Canadian forces pronounce it. Once again your country is trying to be different but tried you guys tried to hard....sad sad USA.

I also had a problem with that. Lieutenant is pronounced Lewtenant, not leftenant. In that case I assume there are also rightenants. In this case the U.S. is right and it is Europe and Canada that can't say it right. Maybe they could patch it to have Titus say it correctly.

boyvirgo666:

Xan Krieger:
I don't think an imperial guardsman would've been a good idea, too fragile. You'd be dying every other second.

Heh read Gaunts ghosts. Will show you why thats not true. Mkoll is easily more dangerous than a squad of space marines.

I've actually read about quite a few guardsmen such as Sly Marbo that could work. I'm just saying on average guardsmen are like battle droids in Star Wars, only killing things by crushing them under the weight of their own lifeless corpses.

As a quick reference the word Lieutenant started with the term In lieu meaning "in place" and Tenant meaning "in place" so yes American are right in this case.

boyvirgo666:

The game would have been mu better if you could play as an imperial guardsmen i think. I like space marines and all but guardsmen make for better character.

I have yet to see a great game with a protagonist with a better character.

For this kind of game, there are two kinds of Character that work: A Space Marine (Awesome Paladin-style Warrior kicking Evil's ass!) or Ork Warboss (Killing stuff is fun!)

Really, you can't have deep characterization when the gameplay has the protagonist being a one-man army that's trying to brutally kill anything that moves and isn't outright on his side.

Orks in the 40k universe are the Audience Surrogate. We're there for the over-the-top weaponry, violence, and large-scale warfare. Not to be concerned with the hilariously depressing life of the average human living in the Imperium. If it had been about the Imperial Guard (Even as an extraordinarily lucky/skilled guardsman), the game would have been a CoD clone.

ScreamingNinja:
Tbh, why would the Space Marines bother being sent to a planet with orks if it's a jungle/Magma city? They only get sent in when there's something at stake, or some debt to call in. And even then, there needs to be actual people and huge cities to make it worth while. XD They wouldn't sent a chapter to the ass end of no where to help some krill farmers.

And I think if they made the Stormy more like two bolters put together, people would complain about the ezi-mode weapon.

I thought it was awesome tbh. The way he switched between weapons makes sense. Since Space Marines are epic and super fast etc.

Honestly? I think they should have had lightening claws and stuff. That would be awesome. Or a combat shield to block/soak up bullets and a melee weapon. Either way, lovin' it.

Space Marines are expected to fight for the Imperium wherever there is trouble, and by engaging Orks on that backwater world of krill farmers they might stop the Orks from spreading and doing the kind of damage to valuable worlds like Graia in the first place. Space Marines don't pass up battlefields just 'cause they don't feel like it; they aren't shopping for groceries.

Storm bolters should have their own draw backs, like no zoom-in mode. It should be a strictly "charging into melee" weapon.

Space Marines are fast, but again, it makes the pistols redundant. You need to get some kind of use for them.

Lightning claws would rock. Storm Shields would rock even further. By the end of the game you should be in Terminator armor, too. Epic.

But yeah, loved the game! I'm looking forward to DLC's and for the multi-player to finally get that NAT issue fixed.

boyvirgo666:

As a quick reference the word Lieutenant started with the term In lieu meaning "in place" and Tenant meaning "in place" so yes American are right in this case.

The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [w] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f].

So no. You can't say one of them is right. Both ways of pronounciation are right. The pronounciation of words differ from cultural background to cultural background.

Made me sad that they didn't have a bleeding heart emblem, so I couldn't make the Lamenter's chapter :<

Redryhno:
I like the 40k games and all, but I wish they would do something other than Space Marines as the main characters, I mean, who wouldn't want to play a campaign as an Aspect Warrior or Ork Boyz or (Emperor and Harlequin strike me down for admitting this) a Tyranid? Personally I think that they need to make a 40k game that includes like a six hour campaign for each of the Officio Assassinorium branches, they could really go for different gameplay mechanics for each since each has their own way of doing things and would make around a 30 hour game in campaigns alone, and then release different DLC for each branch that adds like another couple hours to each, or just make each branch a ten or twenty hour game in itself

To be honest, there IS a title where you take the role of a Tau Firewarrior. It's called (yup) Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior.

Wait a minute... WH40k: Space Marine, WH40k: Firewarrior.... lol. Next, we'll have WH40k: Nob, or WH40k: Cultist.

I always used my pistol in Space Marine's campaign. It had unlimited ammo, and I found it more accurate than the bolter at mid-to-close range... great for popping those goddamn Squigs before they popped me.

Kahani:
The problem is that because they're necessarily prominent in the source material, a lot of people seem to have made the mistake of thinking that they must be in some way interesting. This isn't so much of a problem for the tabletop game, because it doesn't affect much other than the colour paint you need and the odd special rule. But when it comes to actually telling stories, whatever the medium, the Ultramarines are just not the right choice. This is summed up brilliantly by the Ultramarine saga by Graham McNeill - in order to actually tell a story about the Ultramarines, he had to have the protagonists thrown out of the Ultramarines for not being boring enough.

Housebroken Lunatic:
Uhm, no. You do know that the Imperial Guard have units called VETERANS and Storm Troopers. And there's plenty of Imperial Guard regiments out there who have Orks as their preferred enemy and have given the greenskins a hefty chunk of whoop-ass on several occasions.

The trouble here is the difference between the IG's portrayal in games, including tabletop, and the actual lore. Basically, pretty much every playable representation of them has been massively overpowered. The IG are supposed to be cannon fodder. Yes, they have some tougher troops, but they're still just squishy bullet-sponges compared to most of their opponents. What the IG have going for them is simply numbers. Any individual guardsman, even the toughest stormtroopers, will quickly be slaughtered by themselves. But a few hundred thousand of them backed up by thousands of tanks, artillery, air support, and so on, can happily take on the best.

The reason they're not generally actually shown like this is because it's just not feasible. Tabletop might manage to have IG outnumbering marines by 2:1 in a fight, but you just can't fit enough models on the board to have the 10:1 or 100:1 that it should be. Computer games could have done a bit better than they did, but still suffer from the sheer number of models that would need to be on screen. So instead we end up with them working as an army, but ending up as little more than another bunch of superhuman killing machines who can happily go toe-to-toe with space marines.

When looking at a shooter like Space Marine, this is a real problem. In an RTS like DoW, the IG weren't as individually weak as they should have been, but at least they were different from the other armies. But in a shooter, what's the difference between one superhuman killing machine and another? What would be the point in playing as an IG trooper who wades through battle slaughtering thousands of enemies and coming out unscathed? How would that be any different from a game in which you play a space marine? It really wouldn't, but while the latter is how the lore says it works, the former would just throw the lore out the window.

A game where you really played the IG could well be interesting, but it would have to involve you as one of thousands of expendable grunts, not a one man army. Something like Driver San Fransico might work - instead of playing a single person, you take control of them until they get killed then move on to posses another one, and so on until you win or run out of troops.

SnakeoilSage:
Storm bolters should have their own draw backs, like no zoom-in mode. It should be a strictly "charging into melee" weapon.

It's definitely not a charging weapon. The whole point of storm bolters is that they're basically rapid-fire bolters - long range suppression weapons. And they already have drawbacks built in - they jam. You could easily include them exactly as they're supposed to be without having them overpowered. They'd just be a powerful ranged weapon that runs the risk of cutting out at exactly the wrong time and having to waste precious time getting working again. I suppose you could replace that with an overheating mechanic so people can't get screwed over by the random element of jamming, but either way it would keep it true to the source material without breaking the game.

If you've played the tabletop Warhammer 40k, you'll know storm bolters are basically a bolter that you can shoot and then charge into melee with in the same turn. That's all. They're not long range nothing.

lordlillen:

Redryhno:

tau
orc
space marine
imperial guard
eldar
necron
chaos.

Why is it since around 1999, I'm sure alot of you don't remember that year, people have steadily and steadily lost both concentration and the ability to read more than a half-hour a day? And yes, I know about the DOW games, kid, if you read more you would see what else I'd said.

Sarpedon:

Redryhno:

To be honest, there IS a title where you take the role of a Tau Firewarrior. It's called (yup) Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior.

Wait a minute... WH40k: Space Marine, WH40k: Firewarrior.... lol. Next, we'll have WH40k: Nob, or WH40k: Cultist.

Congratulations, I'm aware of that, but since I never played it I can't say anything about it. And this was already mentioned earlier. Why do people feel the need to hash-over a subject multiple times on a thread without reading it?

Redryhno:

lordlillen:

Redryhno:

tau
orc
space marine
imperial guard
eldar
necron
chaos.

Why is it since around 1999, I'm sure alot of you don't remember that year, people have steadily and steadily lost both concentration and the ability to read more than a half-hour a day? And yes, I know about the DOW games, kid, if you read more you would see what else I'd said.

i see no mention of dark crusade or DOW in general in your commment so excuuuuuuuse me princess.

lordlillen:

Redryhno:

lordlillen:

tau
orc
space marine
imperial guard
eldar
necron
chaos.

i see no mention of dark crusade or DOW in general in your commment so excuuuuuuuse me princess.

You did see the "earlier" part of that didn't you? And thank you for calling me Princess, I feel special now. and excuse only has one "U", peasant.

SnakeoilSage:

ScreamingNinja:

Space Marines are expected to fight for the Imperium wherever there is trouble, and by engaging Orks on that backwater world of krill farmers they might stop the Orks from spreading and doing the kind of damage to valuable worlds like Graia in the first place. Space Marines don't pass up battlefields just 'cause they don't feel like it; they aren't shopping for groceries.

Space Marines are fast, but again, it makes the pistols redundant. You need to get some kind of use for them.

Lightning claws would rock. Storm Shields would rock even further. By the end of the game you should be in Terminator armor, too. Epic.

But yeah, loved the game! I'm looking forward to DLC's and for the multi-player to finally get that NAT issue fixed.

This is true, but at best they'd send an annoying strike force to the planet, not fully invade it to stop them. XD They'd pick somewhere to make a stand. If there was nothing important about the planet apart from some people being alive they wouldn't go there. Almost every book talks about them landing to defend something that makes weapons or crystals for the war-effort. They don't really get to choose, but they don't get sent to backwaters unless it's to assasinate some warleader.

Terminator armour would be awesome. And nawh. I don't know why every weapon has to have a draw back. If you're 40k in the future, you'd be hoping you'd have hammered out most of the drawbacks. XD

ScreamingNinja:

This is true, but at best they'd send an annoying strike force to the planet, not fully invade it to stop them. XD They'd pick somewhere to make a stand. If there was nothing important about the planet apart from some people being alive they wouldn't go there. Almost every book talks about them landing to defend something that makes weapons or crystals for the war-effort. They don't really get to choose, but they don't get sent to backwaters unless it's to assasinate some warleader.

Terminator armour would be awesome. And nawh. I don't know why every weapon has to have a draw back. If you're 40k in the future, you'd be hoping you'd have hammered out most of the drawbacks. XD

Well the Warhammer 40k universe is meant to be dark, oppressive and barbaric. You'd -think- they'd have really advanced weapons, but the bolter itself is over 10,000 years old and the basic design isn't much different than modern firearms. The Imperium doesn't enjoy innovating technology, they see it as offensive to the Machine God, who may or may not in fact be a potent Necron C'tan star-god that can devour all our souls.

Like I said, dark, oppressive, and barbaric.

SnakeoilSage:
If you've played the tabletop Warhammer 40k, you'll know storm bolters are basically a bolter that you can shoot and then charge into melee with in the same turn. That's all. They're not long range nothing.

He's not incorrect. In 2nd edition Stormbolters rolled 1 sustained fire dice, which meant they could get up to 3 shots a turn.....but the sustain fire dice also had a chance to jam, meaning you'd have to spend a turn unjamming it for each jam rolled. For added fun, the assault cannon rolled 3 dice and if it rolled 3 jams, it exploded, killing the Terminator instantly with no save allowed (which was an impressive 3+ on 2D6, so that was quite a blow)! They got rid of jamming from 3rd onwards.

This was also transferred across to the Space Hulk board games and computer games. I haven't played the board game in a while so I don't quite remember how they do it there, but in the computer games you keep firing for too long and the gun locks up.

Major Tom:
He's not incorrect. In 2nd edition Stormbolters rolled 1 sustained fire dice, which meant they could get up to 3 shots a turn.....but the sustain fire dice also had a chance to jam, meaning you'd have to spend a turn unjamming it for each jam rolled. For added fun, the assault cannon rolled 3 dice and if it rolled 3 jams, it exploded, killing the Terminator instantly with no save allowed (which was an impressive 3+ on 2D6, so that was quite a blow)! They got rid of jamming from 3rd onwards.

This was also transferred across to the Space Hulk board games and computer games. I haven't played the board game in a while so I don't quite remember how they do it there, but in the computer games you keep firing for too long and the gun locks up.

The 3rd Edition Space Hulk does have jamming rules, but the rest of those examples are more than fifteen years old. In their most recent incarnation, the incarnation I would imagine Games Workshop would want to promote, it's an Assault 2 weapon, meaning you can fire two shots and still rush into melee combat, where the standard Bolter is a Rapid Fire weapon, meaining you can fire two shots but can't charge into melee without a special rule to counter it.

And the stormbolter from Space Marine is essentially that kind of weapon; it's ineffective at long range, which is my point.

SnakeoilSage:
The 3rd Edition Space Hulk does have jamming rules, but the rest of those examples are more than fifteen years old. In their most recent incarnation, the incarnation I would imagine Games Workshop would want to promote, it's an Assault 2 weapon, meaning you can fire two shots and still rush into melee combat, where the standard Bolter is a Rapid Fire weapon, meaining you can fire two shots but can't charge into melee without a special rule to counter it.

And the stormbolter from Space Marine is essentially that kind of weapon; it's ineffective at long range, which is my point.

As I said he's not incorrect, he's just using an older (or current, depending on which game you are looking at) representation of it. The Stormbolter has been portrayed that way and used for that purpose in the past (though I agree with on the long range part, it's more mid-range), and frankly, range 24" assault 2 can still fulfill that role quite handily, even if changes to the game system added that close range softening up capability to it.

As to how it works in Space Marine.....I've only played the demo so far, so I haven't had the chance to personally try it to be able to comment on it. However, if it was ineffective at range, I would be disappointed. Inaccurate I can understand (and would expect, considering its high ROF), but it still fires the same .75 mass reactive gyro-stabilised bolt as the standard boltgun, there should be no change to its effective range.

Then again, I'm talking more in simulation terms. Assault is where Space Marine is at, so I can see the guns being less of the focus than bitch-slapping Orks with a powerfist.

The game is fun but gets repetitive real quick.

And where the hell were the loads of dead gun servitors?!? the orks attacked a forgeworld containing a titan manufactorum,the mechanicus defends its planets better than shown in the game.

Major Tom:
As I said he's not incorrect, he's just using an older (or current, depending on which game you are looking at) representation of it. The Stormbolter has been portrayed that way and used for that purpose in the past (though I agree with on the long range part, it's more mid-range), and frankly, range 24" assault 2 can still fulfill that role quite handily, even if changes to the game system added that close range softening up capability to it.

As to how it works in Space Marine.....I've only played the demo so far, so I haven't had the chance to personally try it to be able to comment on it. However, if it was ineffective at range, I would be disappointed. Inaccurate I can understand (and would expect, considering its high ROF), but it still fires the same .75 mass reactive gyro-stabilised bolt as the standard boltgun, there should be no change to its effective range.

Then again, I'm talking more in simulation terms. Assault is where Space Marine is at, so I can see the guns being less of the focus than bitch-slapping Orks with a powerfist.

Having played Space Marine, I can say that the Storm Bolter has the rapid fire part down, but at range its either innacurate or its bullets lose strength, I couldn't tell which.

No power fists unfortunately, but you can get a thunderhammer, my personal favorite.

SnakeoilSage:

ScreamingNinja:

Well the Warhammer 40k universe is meant to be dark, oppressive and barbaric. You'd -think- they'd have really advanced weapons, but the bolter itself is over 10,000 years old and the basic design isn't much different than modern firearms. The Imperium doesn't enjoy innovating technology, they see it as offensive to the Machine God, who may or may not in fact be a potent Necron C'tan star-god that can devour all our souls.

Like I said, dark, oppressive, and barbaric.

I know 'bout the 40k world. Okay, then, you got me. It's 30k years in the future when they made it. My previous point still stands. :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here