Unskippable: Sonic and the Black Knight

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

BrownGaijin:
First thought: Oh dear sweet Caroline, this game actually does exist. I thought that YZ was just joking about it on Game Damage.

Second thought: Well at least we got Russel.

Second thought: So he gets sucked into a vortex without his second chili dog, and his main complaint is that he didn't get to finish the bad guy off. You've changed Sonic. You've changed.

There's a difference between the Sonic world that Japan created and the Sonic world that Americans created, understand that.

Why not the Monty Python Black Knight ... or Batman the Dark Knight.

Dude!

unacomn:
Merlina The Wizard?! Who gets paid to write the story for these games? Really, I want to know, because I can do a better job for half the price. No joke, I've one awards for writing, small ones, but awards non the less. I'm 90% sure I can come up with something better than Merlina The Wizard. How about Morrigana The Sorcerers? Heh? Heh? see what I did there?

I can tell they were small... (Just pointing out the irony in a dickish fashion but not actually being a dick).

I'm still waiting for Sonic and The Dark Knight, as mentioned by Game Damage, to be announced.

I'm filled with the seething hatred of a thousand suns...

TsukasaWave19:
They might as well get Unleashed and Colors out of the way if they're so bent on Sonic.

At least then we can see Eggman be successful at something.

They did do Sonic Unleashed well over a year ago:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/1419-Sonic-Unleashed

And no, no -- it's ROBOTNIK. Graham and Paul do not tolerate the name "Eggman".

Anyway, how the hell was Merlina able to stop Sonic simply by GRABBING him? I mean, WTF!?

Technically Sonic enjoyed chili dogs in both cartoons.

That being said, I found the joke about turning Merlin into a girl to be pretty funny.

Lucane:
I may never of directly seen "Blaze the Cat" in a game I've played before but I know her when I see her.

Also good point on the whole lack of a Freedom Fighter Sonic Universe game compared to all of these Fable/Story Book games

Furry avatar

Recognizing Sonic characters

Yeah, not surprised

04whim:

I can tell they were small... (Just pointing out the irony in a dickish fashion but not actually being a dick).

I'm still waiting for Sonic and The Dark Knight, as mentioned by Game Damage, to be announced.

I would say I meant to do that, but I can't make up a reason for it. I never said I was actually good at spelling :P
And yes, they were small. One of them was a copy of X-Blades... I think they may have actually been a form of punishment.

It's good to see Russell again, good ol crow.

I never even knew that game existed, and now I wish I stayed ignorant of it. Merlina, really?

therandombear:

warlock257:
Good to see Russell again

Yus, been some time since we last saw Russell :D

OT: Noooo, don't leave Russell, we promise eyeballs next time, not just a empty socket D:

Also, I bet...well, I bet monopoly money that if they replaced all the sonic in the game with something else...it might actually have been good...just maybe :p

The eye sockets are empty because whatever it was had to gouge out their eyes after watching that intro cut scene...

OT: I was just stunned, literally transfixed on how bad that intro seemed... although I do remember liking the cartoon with chilli dogs... the other dystopian one weirded me out. Yes I have bad taste :p

I miss sonic 3 :(

Tel_Windzan:
Paul's statement (or Graham's, I'm not too sure now) about the fact that Sonic Team wants to make other games but have to keep throwing in Sonic for some reason seems to be true after watching this. Also, I agree that the wizard should have teleported instead of summoning Sonic as I think trying to summon a being from another dimension takes longer and probably would require a lot more concentration which is a bad idea because, you know, you are surrounded by your enemies.

And how the heck did Shadow, Knuckles and Purple-Cat-Lady get there before Sonic?!?

She actually had an ulterior motive for summoning Sonic, but that would require spoilers.

Also that isn't actually Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze (Purple Cat Lady). It's 3 of Arthur's knights played by Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze.
Shadow = Lancelot
Knuckles = Galahad (I think)
Blaze = um... I forget.

But Amy Rose is the Lady of the Lake and Sonic's reaction when he sees her is hilarious.
Truthfully the gameplay of this game isn't too bad actually, where it really falls down is during many of the levels there are "innocent civilians" that you're supposed to try avoid killing otherwise the game frowns on you. There's no real penalty for killing them, they're just kinda there for a kinda faux moral choice thing. Except that a) they all look like those Russian dolls, you know the ones that are a doll within a doll within a doll etc. and b) because you're moving so fast it's impossible to know they're coming until you've already cut down a good 2/3 of them.

"What he doesn't know is that Sonic once killed ten men with a chilidog."

That right there had me laughing louder than I have all week.

I thought Sonic loved Chilli dogs in the GOOD cartoon as well as that....Other one.

Mydnyght:

TsukasaWave19:
They might as well get Unleashed and Colors out of the way if they're so bent on Sonic.

At least then we can see Eggman be successful at something.

They did do Sonic Unleashed well over a year ago:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/1419-Sonic-Unleashed

And no, no -- it's ROBOTNIK. Graham and Paul do not tolerate the name "Eggman".

Anyway, how the hell was Merlina able to stop Sonic simply by GRABBING him? I mean, WTF!?

Whatever then just do Sonic Colors. And yes his name is Eggman, it's time to move on people.

I don't get it. Are these games really still that profitable? Looking at this intro makes me think the creators are just trying to see what they can get away with. This time they use one of the most used stories ever.

Russell oh Russell.

I made the exact same sound when not-merlin introduced himself.

canadamus_prime:

Tel_Windzan:
Paul's statement (or Graham's, I'm not too sure now) about the fact that Sonic Team wants to make other games but have to keep throwing in Sonic for some reason seems to be true after watching this. Also, I agree that the wizard should have teleported instead of summoning Sonic as I think trying to summon a being from another dimension takes longer and probably would require a lot more concentration which is a bad idea because, you know, you are surrounded by your enemies.

And how the heck did Shadow, Knuckles and Purple-Cat-Lady get there before Sonic?!?

She actually had an ulterior motive for summoning Sonic, but that would require spoilers.

Also that isn't actually Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze (Purple Cat Lady). It's 3 of Arthur's knights played by Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze.
Shadow = Lancelot
Blaze = um... I forget.

So, they are not the characters from Sonic's universe but they look like them? That just seems to make it more odd to me as unless the game is taking place in Sonic's universe's past and those characters are ancestors of the modern characters. I guess I can't really know for sure until I actually play the game.

As for your spoiler:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Tel_Windzan:

that purple cat is named Blaze the cat

In this world Knuckles,Shadow and Blaze are all knights part of king Arther's round table. They also have different names as well.

Ah, I get it now. Thank you very much!

Sega of America actually tried to make a game out of the dystopian Sonic cartoon once, back in the mid 90's. Almost looks kind of like an Adventure game with action elements. I think it was pitched by some of the same guys who did Sonic Spinball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnsn0_w6K9Q

Apparently Sonicteam in Japan was pretty "whatever, losers" about anything Sega of America had to say about the Sonic franchise (to the point where we were lucky to get any cartoons at all - Sonicteam almost didn't sign off on the pilots originally).

That's apparently still the prevailing train of thought over there, to the point where now the comic book, which was originally based on the dystopian cartoon, is slowly divorcing itself from that continuity to match up more with what the games are doing.

Tel_Windzan:

canadamus_prime:

Tel_Windzan:

Shadow = Lancelot
Blaze = um... I forget.

So, they are not the characters from Sonic's universe but they look like them? That just seems to make it more odd to me as unless the game is taking place in Sonic's universe's past and those characters are ancestors of the modern characters. I guess I can't really know for sure until I actually play the game.

As for your spoiler:

Yeah I don't know, the game is never quite clear on that. At least not as far as I got on it anyway. I only got to just past where my spoiler was reveled and then I quit, so if more detail was revealed after that then I don't know about it.

Have they done the Arabian Nights game yet? 'Cause that'd be SWEET.

chif-ii:

Indeed! Sonic and Secret Rings would be awesome to do.

Personally, I don't have qualms against this game (remember Sonic is not a genre, it's a franchise). I do like the story behind it but then again, I love analyzing stuff for moral meaning so...

Verdilian:

chif-ii:

Indeed! Sonic and Secret Rings would be awesome to do.

Personally, I don't have qualms against this game (remember Sonic is not a genre, it's a franchise). I do like the story behind it but then again, I love analyzing stuff for moral meaning so...

Yeah sure, that stuff. Also, I'm fairly certain there's some awkward cross-species romance action going on in that game too.

Oh my goodness, why is this franchise still around? They should have let Sonic die a decade ago already.
Really, what's the point of keeping this abomination alive?

Smertnik:
Oh my goodness, why is this franchise still around? They should have let Sonic die a decade ago already.
Really, what's the point of keeping this abomination alive?

Maybe because the latest games are good? Or there are still enough people who wish to buy and play the games? "Abomination" is a subjective word here.

shadowmagus:
Why? Why would you (Sonic Team) do something like this?!

Money, money, and more money.

Am I the only one bothered that the BBEG flying horse makes galloping sounds WHILE IN THE AIR?

I just realised that Unskippable is like Mystery Science Theatre 3000... only slightly less funny. Also I agree, why did they canonize the Sonic cartoon with the chili dogs?

A writer who feels such contempt for his or her audience that he/she actually feels the need to explain "Excalibur" to his/her audience (through Sonic as proxy) is a writer who should have their keyboard taken away.

I must say.. the anime style does not suit nor ever will belong in the Sonic World. Never has, plus I like how spite Sonic was just summoned not knowing what the crap is going on- he's just able to play it cool and act 'cocky'.

Jeez, this game looks so silly thus I like how all the monsters sit around and let the elf summon her magic and then let Sonic own them. Seriously, the writing for this game is a joke. Hope someday when I become a Game Developer, I can top this with something fresh that makes sense. Thanks for the episode guys, much appreciated.

I like how everyone politely sits around for Sonic to gain his bearings and flip his chili dogs. And might I say, that is some physics-defying chili.

Also, I will never get used to the awkward japanese graphics next to the cartoony Sonic characters. And I want to know whoever thought the creepy romance thing was a good idea.

Finally, Merlina?! What, Morgana not good enough for you?!

Also another thing I'd like to mention since a number of people have commented on it, Merlina does not replace Merlin, if I recall correctly the game sets her up as Merlin's granddaughter.

Don't stop doing Sonic! I need that laugh on a Monday!

That was Blaze, the only character whose controls I liked in STH 06 -_-

unacomn:
I've one awards for writing,

I love you so much right now, but not for reasons you'd appreciate. XD

==

But yeah, this opening is actually pretty jake for a kid's game. But I'm still happy you guys found a way to bring humor to it. And YES, make a game with Princess Sally and the rest of the cast! Eff Antwan, though And call the game: Sonic Adventure 3. It'll be like Sonic Adventure 2, but without Tales, Knuckles, Robotnick, and Rogue.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here