Designing Flash Games for Fun and Profit

Designing Flash Games for Fun and Profit

Using Flash can be a quick and easy way to release a game out into the world, but can designers really make a living with it?

Read Full Article

Rebuild was awesome, but it's kinda strange to think than an hour or so past-time with an interesting premise but weak graphics actually made a decent wage for someone. Stranger still to put a human story behind the screen-name on Newgrounds. Good on them, wish I'd got the motivation to do what I really wanted and make it work.

Yeah I had a lot of fun with Rebuild. Up there with 'Pandemic' (goddamn Madagascar ... ), and Warfare 1917 / Warfare 1944. Warfare 1917 in particular I felt captured the meat grinder quality of world war 1. I don't know if they're making money, but I hope they are because I had fun.

So, in order to help them, I'd recommend everyone play:

Rebuild
Last Stand (and its sequels)
Pandemic (and its sequels)
Warfare 1917
Warfare 1944

And help these developers scrape some rent money together.

Trying to beat Rebuild on Nightmare reveals how much of it is pure luck, it's mostly about whether the random generator gives you a viable city or not.

I'm surprised Sonny and Sonny 2 didn't get any mention. They were some of the best flash games I've ever played. The whole article was an interesting read though, I've always enjoyed the quirky kind of stuff that comes out of indie gaming and you don't get quirkier than flash games, just look at games like time fcuk.

This guy: http://www.fighunter.com/ needs to be recognized.

He does everything by himself. The art, the music, the programing, and the writing.

The Mardek games are some of the best and deepest flash RPGs I have ever played.

Double post. Move along.

Newgrounds is the king of flash games and animations on the internet and you'd be surprised at how much community there is there and the money people make off of their flash.

Also I've played Rebuild before...fun game though I could never take over the whole city for some reason.

I saw "70 year old British Alcoholic" and I immediately thought (even if he isn't 70 years old) of Clarence's Big Chance, which is pretty fun and funny.

i have tried all the game mentioned. but i recomend what is has been quoted bellow

Aircross:

He does everything by himself. The art, the music, the programing, and the writing.

The Mardek games are some of the best and deepest flash RPGs I have ever played.

agreed the mardek games are good; especially chapter 3 which deleted the save game from accidentally and had to start a new game. naturally i restarted at chapter 1. i have yet beat chapter 3 a 2nd time. but i nether have the time nor the motivation to finish it currently. maybe if chapter 4 was coming out some time soon the motivation would magically come back.

You also have the freedom to make exactly the game you want. Want to cross SimCity with a zombie apocalypse,

That alone is fantastic. Thanks for all the links :)

Oh man, I love rebuild. Plays exactly to what I want in a zombie game, representing a society trying to maintain normality throughout it all.

kongregate is a nice site even though it was bought out by gamestop

Aircross:

Thanks for the link, the games are amazing!

Artix Entertainment.

They've made their entire buisness with flash based games.

I totally love rebuild, though the harder levels are a pain.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here