Escape to the Movies: Machine Gun Preacher

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Machine Gun Preacher

Blowing sh*t up for Jesus.

Watch Video

I swear man, the credit stingers you roll in each week are just as entertaining as the show itself. Thanks for another solid video Bob!

Guess Wolf boy is still in the dog house huh?
And Gerard Butler playing a poorly characterized, violence glorifying, righteously justified underdog? SHOCKING!

I heard an interview of the guy on the cbc and came to the same question than moviebob

I have to admit. For Gerard Butler's performance alone I would probably go see it. Considering that the other films out now aren't anything special that becomes more and more likely.

Dude, The Tree of Life. XD

I still can't understand why you insist in sitting through crap while there's a Terrence Malick film waiting for your intelligence and knowledge to be put to a good use.

I mean, Machine Gun Preacher...the title says it all.

Based on the title, I assumed this movie was shamelessly ripping off both Robert Rodriguez and Garth Ennis. Upon reflection, that sounds like something that would make a much better movie.

Agent Larkin:
I have to admit. For Gerard Butler's performance alone I would probably go see it. Considering that the other films out now aren't anything special that becomes more and more likely.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? The Warrior? The Guard? Tree of Life?

I think I speak for more then myself when I say that you sir have little business commenting on film, especially when the film that should earn Gary Oldman his oscar is now out...

Pretty even-handed review, Bob. Thanks. Nice bit of contrast from Book of Eli being too nice to God for you. I get the idea that the movie doesn't complete a real character or story arc, though considering the subject matter, that makes perfect sense to me. There's no way to show Butler's character's work as actually being done (things in Sudan sure aren't cleared up at the present) and thus he's going to keep doing the same thing, saving those he can and going back for more. I guess if the film put in some really important mission or a special character he's got to save, that would give the ending more heft, so I can't say there's no right way to do it.

One caveat, though: you say that we never learn anything about the main character that the main character himself "or the film" doesn't tell us. What in the world does that leave? What other avenues could there be for character development could there be? Any other character is part of "the film," so what else could there be? Sounds, at least by how you said it, to be a contrived complaint.

Tin Man:

Agent Larkin:

I think I speak for more then myself when I say that you sir have little business commenting on film, especially when the film that should earn Gary Oldman his oscar is now out...

People that disagree with you still have the right to comment on films. 90-year-olds that come out of 20-year comas and watch this movie have the right to cmment on film. You even have the right to tell people they shouldn't talk. It's just not a good idea.

Tin Man:

Agent Larkin:

Have plans to see. No thank you. Already seen. I would rather play chicken with a train then go see that piece of pretentious schlock again.

I really think you should avoid personnel attacks on this site. It has standards.

OT: Just realised Killer Elite is now screening. There is my action-movie fix then instead.

Tin Man:

Agent Larkin:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy isn't out in the U.S, and won't be until December 9th.

You know, I don't mind the adds all that much, but a little variety would be nice. I've seen the same dang car commercial a dozen times now and I still don't know what type it's advertising.

Sounds tricky to review, without having someone bite at you.

I was hoping it would be better because on all sides the ethics are some that would be really fun to crack open.

I'm not sure where I'd stand. I know I wouldn't want to value my own life more than others to the extent I'd be willing to kill someone to preserve mine and I know I don't think anyone is deserving of being shot no matter how depraved (or maybe that if we had perspective then we'd realise we all deserve to be shot? So it doesn't make sense to shoot one guy?). But then I don't want other people to die because I'm not willing to act (which if I'm honest, is a situation I'm in right now and I'm still not sure how best to get out of it). I think in the end I'd be prepared to do it if and only if I'd found every other alternative impossible. And I mean every alternative. I'd prefer to prefer (cos I don't think I've got the bravery by myself)to give stuff to the bad guys and let them shoot me if that would have an effect.

:O I'm utterly shocked that there are other people who know about Madman! (Well, beyond vague knowledge of Freakazoid! having ripped the title character's design off.)

Film messed up though. Needs more muttonstache.

Poor Butler, he just can't do anything worthwhile, can he? Also, Abduction is getting slammed by critics. And I'm sad over REM breaking up, even if the best point to do so was when they're drummer left due to that aneurysm.

Sounds like Morden and his clinic.

C2Ultima:

Tin Man:

Agent Larkin:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy isn't out in the U.S, and won't be until December 9th.

You poor Yanks. Fantastic film, but very British.

a couple of points. Pleaes note i haven't seen the film and thus cannot actually give a real opinion except inthe broader sense of what i've heard here and from other sources about the movie.

i think part of the reason the movie seems so muddled has a number of factors against it. Firstly the popular opinion of chrsitainity, and then the broader opinion of africa.

to the first point bringing on christianity too heavy will scare away audiences. One of the problems with religion these days is people tend to attend out of fear than devotion. and the ones who do attend out of devotion are either the very best or the very worst, a small minority either way. the fact that people generally don't want to face the fact that religion (and more importantly that many different religions) exsist. The old saying "keep it in church" comes to mind. and commercially you can't do a christian movie that is also an action movie without alienating the primary audience for one or the other.

on the second part, sudan lies in that area between the middle east (which is fucked up) and middle africa (which is amazingly even more fucked up) and gets the worst of both worlds, international powers wanting it's oil and enough stability for it to get the oil to them and will therefore negotiate with corrupt officials. Meanwhile there are armed uprisings and suppressions, massacres and apparently ethic cleasings, all the way up to civil war. Those don't happen much anymore (i won't say at all) because the country split. But because most want a peaceful resolution in africa, and to somehow suggest you don't means you're callous. Here they are using the tissue thin line "it's for the chilren/jesus" and as a means of side stepping the real problem of whether you use an armed solution or not to fix what is wrong with that area of the world whether its a true story or not.

personally i think this is one of those movies where the people who made it really wanted to tell the heroic story of a man but the people in charge wanted to make money so the two sides collided and the movie became muddled. it does need a better movie, unfortunately it's going to have to come on a smaller budget.

That was a pretty good review, one of the best in a wh...

*pauses*

...R.E.M. is splitting up?! Why was I not notified?! And why the hell are they splitting up? T_T

"I have been baptized twice. Once in water, once in fire."
Because weaponry associated with semi-righteous holy zeal and finding happiness only in the fury of battle kind of reminds me of that one guy.

Surely, I can't be the only one who thought of him upon reading the title. And especially once Bob explained the plot of Honest Hearts. (unintentonally, I guess)

Meh. I don't really care for films that remind audiences about how fucked up Africa is, without telling them how it got that way and what we can realistically do to help. Honestly, if any movie studios dedicated a minute of their time before the movie starts to talk about conflict minerals, or how fair trade helps prevent child slavery, so much good would be done for the world.

So out of all that's out right now you pick the limited release movie,why Bob?

As for abduction its a PG-13 Bourne Identity banking on Wolf boys Twilight fame otherwise they might have taken a risk and made it a darker rated R film.

Hi Bob,

I saw an advance screening with Childers doing some Q&A afterward. As the man, himself, said, the movie (paraphrasing) "attempts to compress 30 years of [his] life." Which probably goes a long way toward explaining some of the weirdness/pacing issues. From my brief encounter, it seems the man is, without a doubt, someone who's done tremendous good for a lot of people, but he's also killed quite a few people and is pretty openly okay with killing "bad guys." ...it's a weird mix of inspiring and horrible, but the movie--at least to me--seems to capture it pretty well, despite its flaws. Also, I dislike Gerard Butler, but thought he was quite good in this film.

I'm a little bit surprised that you had no comment on the meta-ness of this film, as Childers--the real person--is still working most of the year overseas and still needs money for his cause and this film (which, itself, spends a lot of time showing how much he goes through just trying to get some funds for the orphanage and whatnot) and his recently-published book will (I assume) probably further help fund his cause.

Haha, I looked at the movie poster and I thought it was supposed to be some sort of action/camp parody or something. I didn't realize that it was trying to be serious, let alone based on a true story.

I was hoping for something about Scarlett Johanson at the end of the credits lol. Like a small vid of bob dancing around lol.

Once again, you're picking a movie that's not even out for wide release. Let's look at some of the major wide releases you've skipped.

Scale on the Tomatometer:
Dolphin Tale 84%
Moneyball 94%
Drive 92%
Warrior 84%
Contagion 84%

Don't give an excuse about no screenings. There were a lot of screenings in the Boston area for those movies.

Sabotage, that's what it is!
Sabotage!

This movie popped up out of no where...I've never even heard of it till this review.
Also, lol at buddy christ

@Littaly: http://tinyurl.com/3hc8fs8

Also - I was really hoping Movie Bob would have reviewed Money Ball this week. As a numbers guy, the whole "metrics in baseball" appeals to me, and I thought it might appeal to others on this site who kinda dig nerdy things. Oh well, I guess. At least it wasn't an Abduction review...

bravetoaster:
I saw an advance screening with Childers doing some Q&A afterward. As the man, himself, said, the movie (paraphrasing) "attempts to compress 30 years of [his] life." Which probably goes a long way toward explaining some of the weirdness/pacing issues. From my brief encounter, it seems the man is, without a doubt, someone who's done tremendous good for a lot of people, but he's also killed quite a few people and is pretty openly okay with killing "bad guys." ...it's a weird mix of inspiring and horrible, but the movie--at least to me--seems to capture it pretty well, despite its flaws. Also, I dislike Gerard Butler, but thought he was quite good in this film.

Same here, I am glad they didn't focus to much on the character's in depth personality because then it would not make up for his acts of killing bad guys, being honestly okay with that. This may not be an A+ material movie, but it sure is a lot better then most other movies that came out. Also something fresh, and I like fresh movies. Like how a Subway sandwich is fresh.. Mmm.

Wait..... this movie is serious? Because the name and poster made it seem like a shlocky grindhouse parody a la Machete or Hobo With A Shotgun.

It's out in the UK and Ireland, I saw it yesterday. Mini-review: First half is disjointed as all hell and really hard to get into, but it comes together in the second half to make a story that's satisfying and engaging, if a little emotionally distant. The closing two minutes or so are really well done. Oldman's performance is almost worth the ticket price alone, I hope he gets an Oscar for it.

Im going to go just because I heard that gerald butler almost went the way of brandon lee in the crow.

EDIT: Plus it just looks fun.

...And it wouldn't even be a problem if God/"God" didn't allow kids to suffer like that in the first place. >_> (Both uses of God put on there to prevent the sensitives on both ends from getting offended...in the wrong way) That said, it sounds like they missed out on some potential. I hate when movies do that. D':

You missed the opportunity of using "Kicking ass for the lord" for the tagline.

oh , well. *Shrugs*

They showed for press the shark boy movie in my country. Apparently it's as bad as it sounds.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here