Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Wiseblood:

Golan Trevize:

It's not the actor that's the problem, in fact, she is one of the best and most used voices in the industry.

She's voiced by Jessica Martin. This is so far her only voice acting role. You're probably thinking of the Prime games where her grunts were recorded by Jennifer Hale.

My mistake then. I thought it was Jennifer Hale.

qwerty19411:

Golan Trevize:

qwerty19411:

Text would have been a better option than that voice actor.

It's not the actor that's the problem, in fact, she is one of the best and most used voices in the industry. The real issue is a script that looks like it was written by a drunken baboon.

If this is the actual script, then I can see why the voice actor isn't to blame. It reads like a bad adaptation of The Watchmen's narrative dialogue mixed with inner monologue from a "Teen in High School" movie.

Yes, it's bad. In fact it's Star Wars prequels bad, which really bothers me cause it shows that not only Nintendo didn't care much about what their supposed audience was expecting, but there was nobody who had the authority or the balls to tell Yoshio Sakamoto that his script just plain sucked. It's just Nintendo showing how out of control the development of this game really was.

Yeah... in this one cutscene I suddenly get why everyone was so pissed about Other M.

Makes me wonder why there's a faction that actually likes it.

Three reloads and I still can't watch the video.

Damn, never played the game and the intro is painful enough for me to never want to play it.

Hell, I think Microsoft Sam(us?) could do a better job at delivering emotive lines.

leviadragon99:
Yeah... in this one cutscene I suddenly get why everyone was so pissed about Other M.

because Nintendo is GOD and everything they make is a wonder to behold.

What makes it worse is how confident Brawl Samus was. To go from her 4 lines or so to the "I'm sad about the baby" just hurt my soul...

ActionDan:
I always thought it was "Zee-bs" too (That may look wrong but it's the only the only way I can think of putting it.

I always pronounced it "Zee-bees". *shrug* In fact I still pronounce it that way, voice acting be damned.

Anyway, this is a sure sign that a franchise has gone on too long.

Oh, dear god, her voice hurt my ears. Why didn't they get Jennifer Hale, again?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Huh? What? Where am I?

I'm sorry, but without the commentary from Unskippable, that scene would have really put me to sleep. Samus was so monotone. She sounded bored. And why would she give a report in her suit? I think the worst was her constant moaning and groaning about the baby. Seriously? Grow a pair, Samus! It was an alien tentacle monster, not your child.

I believe Nintendo got a different actress for Samus then the one they had for Brawl.

leviadragon99:

The gameplay is actually not that bad. Not that I'm defending the game, but if you take out the god awful story, characterization, script, ect. the core game play does hold up fairly well.

Having never played a Metroid game... did a baby really save your life in the fight against the brain queen thing in whatever game has you fighting it?

Unhappy Crow:

Same! And same again for the LRR video. It just wont load at all.

Draconalis:
Having never played a Metroid game... did a baby really save your life in the fight against the brain queen thing in whatever game has you fighting it?

...Technically? It was the Metroid Hatchling, an "infant" metroid that some stupid scientests were performing experements on (a la Aliens), and then it escaped, and then space pirates.

At the end, it gives Samus the Hyper Beam, allowing her to defeat Mother Brain.

And I'm fairly certain it didn't die at the end of Super Metroid... Hooray retcons?

OT: That. Was. Terrible. I almost wept at how bad that was. Over use of babby, that boring, monotonous voice, the cutscene direction, the gratuitous fanservice... god, that was an atrocity. Saddam Hussain, Stalin, and Hitler put together weren't as bad as that cutscene...

Distorted Stu:

Unhappy Crow:

And the same thing has happened on their LRR video for me as well. I can watch Jimquisitions on my laptop and computer, but not this nor LRR.

i. awoke. to. the. familiar. voice. of. a. quarantine. officer...
...a. dream.
i. had. been... ugh... it reminds me of madonna on star stories... "happy. sad. confused. surprised..."

i always said "Zee-Bees".

Unhappy Crow:

Distorted Stu:

Unhappy Crow:

And the same thing has happened on their LRR video for me as well. I can watch Jimquisitions on my laptop and computer, but not this nor LRR.

Quoted for relevance. I want my damn Unskippable, Escapist. Get on it.

And what the fuck is this shit??!!

I was beginning to wonder when they would do Other M, it deserves it.

My god that was terrible. The voice acting, it burned. I'm so glad I never played is. She needs to learn how to emote. The sadness. It's just bleeding slowly all over the place. Like molasses. I can't wait to hear her when she's angry. Angry I tell you.

uncanny474:
And I'm fairly certain it didn't die at the end of Super Metroid... Hooray retcons?

I went and read up on the Metroid story so far, and watched a video of the old SNES fight this scenes flash backs too, and the Metroid DID die.

That being said... this entire story is garbage... how many times does a species need to be eradicated before it goes extinct? And you know what? The same can be said of all the villains.

Clones, androids, robots... all of the same guy, and all his little patsies.

I suppose in classic Nintendo fashion, they would rather rehash their villains than come up with new ones. They are almost as bad as Marvel.

I've never played a Metroid game, as mentioned before. But this is what I predict the next game will entail.

This made me tired and a little depressed. I mean, I heard the tales of Other M, but....Z_zzzz

(Good voice overs, though!)

My god, I am so glad I did not get this game.

I've been waiting for this one! Happy to hear there's another one coming, there has to be a lot to joke about in this game! Let's play maybe?

>Samus - I awoke to the familiar voice of a quarantine officer.

So ... all quarantine officers sound the same? She always gets the same quarantine officer, but never learned his name? What?

I really feel like the odd one out about this game... Maybe because i haven't really played other games than the Prime Trilogy, and also because i stopped giving a shit about the story in the game after the first two cutscenes. It helped me sorta enjoy it.

And i really think it's weird. I know one should never assume to be alone about something on the internet, but i've never felt as alone as i do whenever a debate about this game shows up >_>

EDIT: Debate isn't really appropriate. "Whenever this game is being bashed on" would be more appropriate.

Someone needs to tell the voice actress to get off her deperessants before a session.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Unhappy Crow:

Distorted Stu:

Quoted for relevance. I want my damn Unskippable, Escapist. Get on it.

And what the fuck is this shit??!!

I haven't been able to watch any videos except for Zero Puncuation. They just won't load for me.

Oh god I'm starting to get why people hate other M.

Samus is a woman so of course she has to love the BABY BABY BABY... jesus, how many goddamn times did they have her say that? The baby, the baby, the baby, the baby.. IT WAS A GODDAMN METROID FFS!

Samus is a great character, she might even harbor motherly feelings somewhere for all we know but for god's sake, don't act like she actually loved that metroid or whatever. It imprinted on her, it saved her live, which is cool and all, but ... no, just no...

That annoying inner monologue, and her annoyingly monotone voice... haven't gotten this angry at a game (misrepresenting a character) this fast in a long time.

Oh sweet merciful lord its even worse than I remembered.

I have been a defender of Other M pretty much since the beginning, however, I have to agree with that last statement about the difference between giving Samus a voice and what was done with that voice.

..Yeah, pretty much how I remember the game. The writing and the tone of her voice made me more bored listening to it than watching Men whom stare at Goats did. And that almost deserves a medal on it's own merits (in how to put me to sleep the fastest, that is).

The gameplay was fine, but fuck.. Samus had more emotion (better conveyed) and intrigue when she was a mute. You have to fail pretty hard to make that statement come to life.

Man, Benzaie's Metroid: Other M in 5 seconds was spot on. BLAH BLAH BLAH THE BABY BLAH BLAH BLAH THE BABY

Other M... my most hated game ever. Yes, the gameplay isn't bad (but, no, it's not good either), but the story BUTCHERED my favorite character.

This Samus is NOT the Samus I know and love.

I mean, nothing gets you ready for an epic adventure of blasting aliens and blowing up planets like a 10 minute monologue about babies in a dry monotone, right?

And I agree. The Metroid imprinted on HER. In fact, in Super Metroid, she just DUMPS the thing in the labs of some scientists and flies away, glad to be rid of it. Even IF she liked it, it was a stupid animal. It would be like my dog dying. Yes, I'd be a bit sad, but I'd GET OVER IT.

The video isn't working.
No, I don't have ad blocker.
And I'm a pub club member.

I've had problems with unskippable in the past as well. What's going on?

Eric the Orange:

leviadragon99:

The gameplay is actually not that bad. Not that I'm defending the game, but if you take out the god awful story, characterization, script, ect. the core game play does hold up fairly well.

You mean all four hours of it? That's pretty short for an indie game let alone a $60 title.

Golan Trevize:

qwerty19411:

Text would have been a better option than that voice actor.

It's not the actor that's the problem, in fact, she is one of the best and most used voices in the industry. The real issue is a script that looks like it was written by a drunken baboon.

I think you have the voice actor for Other M confused with someone else. If the Metroid Wikia is to be believed, Samus was voiced by one Jessica Martin, whose only video game voice actor credit is...you guess it, Other M.

EDIT: My mistake, I should have read the entire thread. I didn't realize you had already been corrected.

Want to know something fun ?

They had Sakamoto decide on the voice actress.
The english voice actress.
To make sure "the quality of the voice" was right.

And as you should all be aware, he was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the story and the characterization.
Also, he is pretty much in charge of Metroid at this point.

I hope none of you are overly invested in the series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here