Escapist Podcast: 015: MMOs, Diablo 3 Beta & Vader Noooo!

015: MMOs, Diablo 3 Beta & Vader Noooo!

This week, we discuss if Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the last major subscription based MMO and whether or not free-to-play the future. We also talk about out first expierences with the Diablo 3 Beta and George Lucus's most recent changes to Star Wars.

Watch Video

Want a reason not to buy ToR? Well i shall give you one.

ToR is subject to the same incompetent dev staff, CSR, and leadership as Warhammer online.

That do it?

Oh wow, you guys took my suggestion of giving us a timeframe of what your episode is about. Thank you so much! That's so useful!

That whole "Noooooo" thing sounds like Vader has a major delayed reaction to the whole son torture thing as if he were completely zoned out before that. Next edit will add a joint into his hand with an added line from Vader complementing the light show before realizing Luke smells like overcooked bacon.

Congrats on the promotion, Susan! (I'd congratulate Steve but as a patriotic Canadian I'm honor-bound to shun him or maybe beat him up a bit. Zis means war!)

Ah, Echo Bazaar. Made an extra Twitter account so I could run a second character. And then did it again for a third. I'm hooked. Unfortunately the late game stuff is so expensive that I'm considering going away from the game for a month and just leaving my PC (with Autohotkey) grind for me while I'm at work.

Kind of interesting how characters develop, though. Without meaning to, one of my characters turned into, pardon the phrase, an utter bitch. So much so that ruining her friendship with someone in the Secrets Framed in Gold storylet seemed perfectly natural. (I still feel guilty about it though. I'm actually considering buying that pay-for plot with another character just to make the other choice - clever devils!)

Night Circus - I got into that but... it's not EB. For something that seems non-grindy at first it's got TONS of grind, it's just more frustrating because you gotta wait for the cards to come up! The text is great, I admit, but not when you see it for the 30th time. Personally I think the game would be vastly improved if the Circus had a few locations that biased the cards you drew. Nothing area-exclusive or anything, just spots that boost the odds of cards for Clockwork/Magic/Love/everything else/etc.

Or, at the very least, it needs a bigger deck size, so I can make progress in the plot without having to check in every half hour to burn through six cards, three of which give me something I've already got 40 of.

Really annoyed at the Ponzi scheme of the Reveur rank, also.

So please don't hate me for saying this, but I'm really glad Susan took the time to actually explain why hardcore Star Wars fans hate Greedo shooting first. I've only seen the special edition, as the original came out around 20 years before I was born, so that was really enlightening!

yay! It's back.

So what is the day that the podcast comes out?

Goldjit:
yay! It's back.

Erm...when it's done, mostly. Usually Friday, but if we wind up recording it late, then sometimes that gets pushed to Monday.

X-com is receiving a lot of hate because it is the go to example of the so called "dumb-ing down of gaming." I like RPGs because of the complexity and control I have over my characters, so when I hear "streamlined" or "simplified" I read it as you are so stupid you can't properly use this mechanic. Fallout, Mass Effect, and Front Mission Evolved went from proper character setup to shoot bad guy in face. The model of make an rpg first add shooter elements later has shifted to make shooter add some RPG later like in Bioshock, Singularity, or Resident Evil 4/5. Some of us gamers who have played for years enjoy and take pride in exploiting complexity. The class system in Final Fantasy V , The link system in Front Mission 4, The extra gain system in Disgaea, The Junction system in Final fantasy VIII. The shift from Final Fantasy 12's Gambit/License system to the liner Crystarium level system in Final Fantasy 13 felt like an insult; Like the game believed that the player was to stupid to understand the paradigm shift system until after the game had ended.

On a different note I refuse to Google with Bing (snicker) because the what has search overload done to us commercials are insulting to me.

Susan Arendt:

Goldjit:
yay! It's back.

Erm...when it's done, mostly. Usually Friday, but if we wind up recording it late, then sometimes that gets pushed to Monday.

I see. I'm new. Just got into the podcast. Currently watching the old ones. I'm about half way now. :3

I can't access Ep 1 to 6. Are they gone forever? :(

Goldjit:
I can't access Ep 1 to 6. Are they gone forever? :(

Ha, as if we'd go anywhere. Are they just not working, or can you actually not find them?

Well there not in the Video Podcast page. It stops at Ep. 7.

Goldjit:

You're silly. :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast

They're all there, safe and sound.

Susan Arendt:

Goldjit:

You're silly. :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast

They're all there, safe and sound.

oh sorry, I meant the MP3 downloads. >_< I like listening on the go.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/rss/videos/podcast/167-e15a29097a5b663fa43b258772591ecc.xml

(Mind you, I am rather silly at times :P)

X-Com might work. The only thing I can say is Fallout.

Star Wars writing credits(as per imdb)
Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay) and
George Lucas (screenplay)
George Lucas (story)

As for the Mac gaming thing, I would like to point out that because Apple switched over to Intel processors and Valve managed to force Apple to update their video card drivers. It's going to get easier and easier for games to work on Macs.

Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. They're all made from different languages.

Did Susan just ask if Gandalf came back in the books? We might have to take back the title of NERD QUEEN.

Still haven't mastered the art of being concise? How this is 1 hour 13 I have no idea. Less is more as Darth Vader showed first time round. However I did enjoy your discussion on that subject

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here