Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Well done episode.
I love the what I call "Glenn Beck paranoia" part.

Very nice review; you can almost see Yahtzee's thought processes as he was playing the game.

"Oh hoo-bloody-ray, another mediocre retooling of Halo covered in dirt...half a tick, are they actually requiring me to use health kits? Huh, well that's a bit unexpected. Oh great, a brand new gun to use, so which one am I going to drop to make room for...I can carry THAT one too? Huh...this is actually looking up! Sure the story's pretty flimsy but at least it's fun to -play-, going around this abandoned town, shooting zombies and...is that a crazy priest? This is starting to remind me of something...come to think of it, aliens, giant hole in space, possessed humans...oh bloody hell, it's a Half-Life 2 rip off!"

Gotta agree with Yahtzee, it's not a bad idea to emulate those who have been successful, but there's a point beyond which it stops being following an example and begins to be just shamelessly copying something to the letter.

You sure that this wasn't just HL EP3 you played?
for all we know, that's where they've been hiding it...

Actually they didn't rip off HL2, Insomniac Games have been doing this kind of gameplay since the first Ratchet and Clank game.

Being a big fan of the first two Resistance games I'm actually quite surprised he gave this one a good "review". I was going to buy it anyway, but it's nice to know he enjoyed it.

Delicious Anathema:
More brown games...

Uhhh, Resistance 3 isn't a "brown game", from my experience playing the beta the multiplayer maps in particular are very colourful. And the game also has a slighty "cartoony" look added to it to make it stand out more.

Resistance 2 wasn't brown either, the only one that was brown was the very first one.

Loved the end credits:

I counter your Jimi Hendrix with... MAGGIE THATCHER!!
Yahtzee counters her with... *insert viewer's face*

Priceless!

Wow a good review. I'm shocked. Just to let you know, none of the previous Resistances had 2 gun limits or completely regenerating health either. And the guns have always been creative. I think they steal it from the games they've always made :D

This last third of 2011 is more based on its massive number of sequels. Even Batman: Arkham City and Saints Row The Third, likely to contend for Yatzee's GOTY they are, are sequels.

That was an... unusual review this week but it made me laugh the whole time, especially the ending.

Well, the first game didn't have totally regenerating health. It was like... four quarters of a health bar, and you'd regenerate up to one quarter, and it had a weapon wheel. The second one sank a lot down into the two-weapons and regenerating health part, but a lot of the fanbase didn't like it, so I'm pretty sure this is just a bounce-back from the second game rather than a ripoff of any other. (Yes, I am a fanboy...) That said... I laughed my head off at beard thing.

I definitely had a Ravenholm feel from the one village part, especially considering the leapers remind me of headcrabs. I was playing co-op at the time and I told my brother "Where's a crowbar when you need one?"

Kopikatsu:

Anyway- I hadn't even noticed all the similarities between HL2 and Resistance 3. What're the chances that it's coincidence? (Probably not likely, but still.)

The chances are actually pretty good. I mean, hell, this is assuming that Half-life's story could be called original.

Nice review. Oddly... favorable. Not exactly what I expected.

if you copy something, make shure it is HL
good i might check that game : )

Sudenak:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.

If they have to rip off something, it might as well be Half Life 2.

Sudenak:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2.

You say this like it's a bad thing....also, considering how few other FPS games are "like" HL2, and how many FPS games aren't, I'd say the genre can fit another game with similar mechanics. Particularly when they work so well.

LordJiro:
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, Insomniac isn't COMPLETELY ripping off Valve. They can count to three, for one.

Mwahahaha :>

Ep3 quote, first page. Valve really got to get their act together.

OT: Great review, definitely wont buy the game.

This was a very original Zero Punctuation episode in some way. I can't really put my finger on the difference between this episode and the other episodes we've seen lately.

Ah, so it IS true that Yahtzee doesn't like a game unless it resembles one of his favourites.

Wait... I forgot the Driver: San Francisco review. Well, there goes my insult down the drain...

Bah. For the first time since I bought my 360, I'm beginning to regret my choice.

This episode actually made me laugh. I love Yahtzee's ADHD nature in this one as he dances between praising it and hating it constantly. You know what? I might actually play this one.

Might.

Yahtzee may be joking, but I'm not surprised. Sony's entire business model from day one for the PlayStation brand has been "Rip off ideas from a better company."

Re. the closing credits, in the interests of humanity I feel obliged to post this:

Is Thatcher Dead Yet?

Sudenak:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.

I... uh... what? Have you never played a shooter with health kits, unlimited weapon carrying potential, and no cover system before? That's not pushing ahead, mechanics-wise. It's just ignoring things some people have complained about in other AAA shooter titles.
*Sigh* Are we really at the stage at which including mechanics that any other game has made use of will draw accusations of copying it? In that case, Forza totally ripped off lego racers. They both have customisable cars that you use in an attempt to beat your opponents to the finish line.

Jesus... Did Yahtzee actually.... like.... something?? :P

Funniest one he's done in a while and I loved it, loved how he switched it up with all the 'Wait a second!!' accusations :P

Half Life 2 has the GRAVITY GUN and you can SHOOT SAWDISCS AT ENEMIES.
Resistance 3 lets you make enemies puke to death.
WIN: Half Life 2.

Yeah, I'm always faithn, 569.6 of the time.

Heh. That was more entertaining than most of the other ZP's, it seemed to have a bit more comedy to it than point-and-rip style criticism.

J03bot:

[snip]
*Sigh* Are we really at the stage at which including mechanics that any other game has made use of will draw accusations of copying it? In that case, Forza totally ripped off lego racers. They both have customisable cars that you use in an attempt to beat your opponents to the finish line.

This has been my reasoning for a while now. Why is it only Games are given the "You just copied [x] you loser!" treatment? Surely if something makes for entertaining gameplay then it should be integrated into other games right? Like not having to take the wall out for three dates, meeting it's parents and getting an HIV test before you can brush against it.

Do people say the same for Car Companies? If Ford uses something Toyota just implemented are they copy cats? No, seriously, do car enthusiast make this accusation too or is this just when it comes to software / games?

Loved the gripes at modern shooters. However, any shooter that has regenerating health and a lot of weapons isn't ripping off half-life. In that case there are a hell of a lot of shooters that ripped off half-life long before half-life ever came out...

Kopikatsu:

DrunkenElfMage:
Holy crap... was that a positive review? It almost seemed like Yahtzee didn't know what to do with himself, kinda like a Nazi on a desert island who has run out of different races and religeons to blame all of the Islands problems on.

Wait a second! Yahtzee... Nazi... they both end with a ZEE! Where did YOU hide the body Mr. Crowshaw!?!?!?

Godwin's Law ALREADY? That seriously has to be some kind of record. Really, it does.

Godwin's Law refers to the likely-hood of Hitler being used as a comparison point in an online discussion/ argument, not a somewhat funny, joke analogy made as a comment on video.

LordJiro:
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, Insomniac isn't COMPLETELY ripping off Valve. They can count to three, for one.

Well played and thank you for making me laugh.

I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't include a similar joke in his review. He almost always makes a "where's Episode 3?" jab when he talks about Valve.

Definitely in agreement here. If you're going to rip someone else off, at least it was Valve.

They could have ripped off a much worse FPS.

I doubt the rest of the "3"s this year will follow suit.

I just want to say this, LOL.

Haven't done that for a review in a long time

played the game and it was complete rubbish...
BUUUTTTT then again maybe that's cuz I was attempting to play with the Move gun peripheral...
come to think of it SOCOM 4(?) and Killzone 3 both sucked incredibly as well...but again I was using Move

so okay I dunno about the games themselves, they might be quite good actually. but Move sucks hahaha

psicat:
But wait a minute wasn't Half Life 2 also basically just a rip off of Halo: Combat Evolved. They are both FPS with non regenerating health. Both have silent protagonist in a power suit is the only one who can save humanity from the aliens, along with his perky female companion. And, of course both game titles start with an H, so Valve must of copied Bungie, and in turn they now get copied by Insomniac.

Half-Life came out in 1998, Halo came out in 2001.

Resistance did come out more recently, but it's more like them to have ideas copied from them, not by them. Before Painkiller had one gun that shoots shurikens and lightning, Insomniac already had lightning guns and shuriken guns.

By the sounds of things this could be a good game to play while waiting for Half Life 3.

Yes, I said Half Life 3 not episode 3. Sue me.

Since he finally allowed himself to admit a game here and there is actually fun, the reviews are much more entertaining and interesting.

The resistance series have always been polarizing for me. Liked the first game because of the variety of the weapons you get carry around and the mindless circle-strafing style of shooting. Then Resistance 2 came out and ruined everything good about the first game.

I don't mind two weapons and regen as long as they're used well. that's not the case with R2, you die too bloody fast and barely have the time to react to anything. I don't mind challenge but when you put cloaked enemies in tight, linear corridors that literally spawn in front of your face and can one-hit kill you, you've crossed the line of challenging gameplay to just being a cruel bastard.

I might actually pick R3 up because of the co-op and return of the weapon wheel. I'm also interested in how this game rips-off Metro 2033. Love that game.

Why are people acting like it's odd Yahtzee actually liked the game. He liked Driver: San Francisco even more last week, are your memories that short? It's not that rare that he actually quite likes a game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here