Escape to the Movies: Drive

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Drive

More than just a better Transporter.

Watch Video

Better, dark version of a decent Statham action flick? I'm sold.

Finally metal eslaved has come to this comment section and metal eslaved came to say: I want that game.

They put Nightcall by Kavinsky in the opening credits....that alone sold me on the style of this movie.

I haven't payed much attention to this film as I wasn't expecting much, but for the most part I tend to like the movies Bob recommends. So I guess I'll give this a shot.

Hi, I try to be on the first comment page because I have no life. Also, having not seen this film I have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation, and will defend my pointless post under the justification of "because it's my perspective lolz".

ivc392:
Great video, as always!!

Yep, give the same fucking post everyone else posts in the comments section. Next time, try doing it AFTER the video ends.

I guess you could say Drive is...
*puts on sunglasses*
geared for success

Carey Mulligan? Christina Hendricks? Ron Perlman?

Sign me up. Transporter-But-Better sounds like a fun movie but me.

I saw this movie, and it was ridiculously slow. There are entire scenes where the characters just stare at each other for 10-15 seconds with nothing happening. 10-15 may not sound like a lot, but when the actors just face other with no changing expressions or any meaningful dialogue that could warrant that long a pause, those few seconds feel like ages.

If the director was trying to be subtle about his "art", he should realize that beating his audience's heads over with "subtlety" defeats the purpose.

On a side note - Valhalla Rising was crap. Drive was tolerable, but "Rising" is the very definition of a slow movie.

Inb4 - "Go back 2 transformerz, n00b". No, shut up. That's a terrible way of putting forth your argument. Plus, I didn't like that movie either.

No good movies came out this week huh? I guess there was that one movie "Courageous", which had a rather solid script with above average cinematography and acting. However, its a Christian movie. Hence, that makes it bad. *facepalm*

I saw this film just a few hours earlier, easily the best of the year. Everything about it was great and the soundtrack was the best I've heard since Trainspotting.

sravankb:
I saw this movie, and it was ridiculously slow. There are entire scenes where the characters just stare at each other for 10-15 seconds with nothing happening. 10-15 may not sound like a lot, but when the actors just face other with no changing expressions or any meaningful dialogue that could warrant that long a pause, those few seconds feel like ages.

If the director was trying to be subtle about his "art", he should realize that beating his audience's heads over with "subtlety" defeats the purpose.

On a side note - Valhalla Rising was crap. Drive was tolerable, but "Rising" is the very definition of a slow movie.

Go back 2 transformers n00b. I kid, you're entitled to your opinion, we just differ here; I thought the moments of silence were pretty good as it added more to the relationship between driver and Irene with just a look between them both.

well, 50/50 came out this week, but dramas and comedies seem to be hard for Bob to review since he can't really talk about them without doing some really big spoilers.

Anyway, I've been disappointed in Statham's post-Guy Richie career since all he ever seems to do are middling movies that emulate bad 80s movies too much. Still, Drive sounds like an interesting prospect. Makes me think of Collateral by Michael Mann

Ron Perlman is in this movie? Okay, I'm definitely going to see it now.

Clonekiller:
No good movies came out this week huh? I guess there was that one movie "Courageous", which had a rather solid script with above average cinematography and acting. However, its a Christian movie. Hence, that makes it bad. *facepalm*

Not everyone shares your beliefs and not everyone wants to have said beliefs preached at them for 90 minutes.

EDIT= Definately gonna try and hunt down Drive, Perlman is always a hoot and Transporter: Noir sounds like my idea of fun, shame I didnt hear about it before now.

Aiddon:

Still, Drive sounds like an interesting prospect. Makes me think of Collateral by Michael Mann

Nah, man. It's nowhere close to the greatness that was Collateral. Obviously, that's just my opinion, but seriously - it's not really similar except that they're both dark.

Collateral is literally dark as well; all the events in that movie take place over one night.

It's really really hard to make (let alone export) a crossover video game when all the licenses used belong to several different companies.

I knew Bob would review this, if solely due to sheer lack of anything else worth mentioning coming out. Saw it last week, it's sick good. A great tribute to Michael Mann's eighties films and the films of Jean-Pierre Melville.

metal eslaved:
Finally metal eslaved has come to this comment section and metal eslaved came to say: I want that game.

RagnaThePig:
It's really really hard to make (let alone export) a crossover video game when all the licenses used belong to several different companies.

Okay, I'm getting confused. Is there some weird crossover thread posting going on or something?

Anyway, good review. And I agree - Drive was an excellent movie, and everyone loves it. (I personally like the idea that the Driver was just what happens when Sean Stanley Hanlon grows up, because it can't be healthy to go to high school on a boat, but I'm not certain that anyone at all will get the reference.)

You gotta wait through the credits, Friv. Bob posts a couple of extra comments during the comments, usually about upcoming movies or something geek related. In this case...Bob commented on why a Smash Brothers-esque Gamecube game featuring Bomberman, Master Higgins, and Optimus Prime as combatents wasn't imported to the states.

Seems decent enough. Far smoother action and seemingly less bothersome gritty social realism than "Pusher" had.

Friv:

metal eslaved:

RagnaThePig:

Okay, I'm getting confused. Is there some weird crossover thread posting going on or something?

Anyway, good review. And I agree - Drive was an excellent movie, and everyone loves it. (I personally like the idea that the Driver was just what happens when Sean Stanley Hanlon grows up, because it can't be healthy to go to high school on a boat, but I'm not certain that anyone at all will get the reference.)

I was confused too, then I remembered that MovieBob puts mini-stingers in his videos during the credits. And the one this week was about a video game that never came out in America.

OT: Good video like usual, I don't really go out to watch movies anymore but it's always nice to hear about good ones.

Watched this last week in the UK, it's several kinds of awesome.

The Slowness of the middle, for me, helped made clear why he gets involved with the jobs he does and did it with out a lot of shitty exposition dialogue or flash back.

There are a lot of films that could do with more silence and less horrible dialogue that just makes you hate whoever's mouth it is coming out of.

You used a picture of a fight scene from Transporter 2 ya doofus!

Saw this last night.

It was incredible.

I'm glad you agree, Bob.

I would have never even thought about watching this movie before this, now I'm interested. Also, that game at the end seems f*ing awesome, I wants it!!

Hey... I thought the Transporter series was one of the better action movie series released recently. The fight scenes alone were pretty goddamn outstanding. Granted Jason Statham couldn't act his way out of a loose hooker's vagina, but he does play the badass martial-arts guy pretty well.

The answer your end credit question Bob, because Nintendo of America are idiot.

And it'd be a real CRIME if he didn't make the Best Supporting Character nominees...
Oh ha ha *slow clap*, I see what you did there.

I can't wait to see what Bob has in store on the Big Picture next week. And I'm probably gonna go see this movie with a friend of mine. Eventually.

sravankb:

Aiddon:

Still, Drive sounds like an interesting prospect. Makes me think of Collateral by Michael Mann

Nah, man. It's nowhere close to the greatness that was Collateral. Obviously, that's just my opinion, but seriously - it's not really similar except that they're both dark.

Collateral is literally dark as well; all the events in that movie take place over one night.

Not much can come close to how awesome Collateral is, its one of my favorite movies!

shrekfan246:
I was confused too, then I remembered that MovieBob puts mini-stingers in his videos during the credits. And the one this week was about a video game that never came out in America.

Ohhh, right. Totally forgot about those. I was busy hopping between windows while I watched it, so I didn't see that frame.

Saw it last week and was hoping it would get reviewed here to give it more attention. A very very solid movie where, I agree with Bob, selling it as an "art house Transporter" ends up being an apt description but one that does sell both movies short.

The almost awkward silences in the movie are a bit uncomfortable, but that sense of discomfort is purposeful. There's a battle of pacing and tone here that echoes the way the Driver lives his life. It's obvious that while parts of him want to exist in the normal world, he's just not built for it due to.. whatever it was that made him who he is. I like that it's never really resolved and I like that while the movie ends as it does, it's not really a happy or totally sad ending. Great stuff.

Yay, Spyhunter screenshot...

Drive was terrific. Heres hoping it doesn't turn into a franchise and because empty and pathetic.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here