Escape to the Movies: Drive

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This is one of those few arty movies that works for the general public (my sister loved it) because of the peaks and troughs in the character drama and brutal violence and the excellent filmmaking that makes for some perfectly paced scenes. The first ambush scene is done so well, as is the last panning shot of the Driver after the final showdown that will stick with me for a while.

This is the best movie I've seen this year (along with Tree of Life, Melancholia, Attack the Block, and Arrietty). No fat, just minimalist and perfect as a crime suspense thriller and neo-noir.

Good to see this one show up as a full review instead of just the stinger as it did a couple weeks ago. The fact is that anyone who loves the 'how much can this dude take?' genre of action movie needs to see Drive. The trailers simply cannot do it justice, because nothing about this movie can be properly expressed with fast cutting.

In particular, don't miss this one in theaters. It's a big movie and deserves the big presentation. I think I would finally forgive the academy a few things (read: Forrest Gump, A Beautiful Mind) if it swept this year, but somehow I doubt an action movie love story is going to win dick, no matter how good it is.

That's the movie people have been egging the cinema snob to watch? That's all I know about this movie is that people wanted the cinema snob to watch it seeing as he likes action movies and stuff like that.

Now I'm actually sorta interested in this. Having seen the ads, I instantly though "oh boy, another Transporter movie," except that I'm tired of them since the sequels to that movie weren't very good. Anything that let's Ron Perlman do his thing is good in my book, and I got a kick out of the comment about Hendricks, because she really is a good actress that is only remembered for her breasts. =(

sravankb:
I saw this movie, and it was ridiculously slow. There are entire scenes where the characters just stare at each other for 10-15 seconds with nothing happening. 10-15 may not sound like a lot, but when the actors just face other with no changing expressions or any meaningful dialogue that could warrant that long a pause, those few seconds feel like ages.

If the director was trying to be subtle about his "art", he should realize that beating his audience's heads over with "subtlety" defeats the purpose.

On a side note - Valhalla Rising was crap. Drive was tolerable, but "Rising" is the very definition of a slow movie.

Inb4 - "Go back 2 transformerz, n00b". No, shut up. That's a terrible way of putting forth your argument. Plus, I didn't like that movie either.

this.

there is a difference between adding some silence to make an actor more mysterious, and there is drive...which is making the two main characters look like slow retarded kids(not meaning that in an offensive way) who have 4 lines in the whole movie.

not to mention, if you pay attention in the movie there is SO MUCH stuff in the background that makes zero sense with what is going on, not to mention "random friend #5" standing in the background creeping on the conversation of silence making it even more weird.

when i went and saw this, every single seat in the theater was absolutely filled, about halfway through the movie 15 people had left, while 4 groups of people were having conversations because it was such a drag to sit through, by the end everyone was laughing at how pitiful some of the scenes were, not to mention the last scene which had massive amounts of "wtf, are you kidding me?" added to it.

by the end maybe half the theater was filled still, and that was msotly people like myself making fun of how bad some of the scenes were.

i can enjoy a movie with next to no action at all, but based on the trailer and based on the title and everything, you would expect something different, something that wasn't retardedly slow and had maybe 10 minutes total in the whole movie of *decent* action or driving. even then transporter blows this movie to hell and back on driving sequences.

Interesting that he reviewed this the week I post my Transporter reviews.

Interesting indeed...

As for Drive, it's another film that's not playing close enough for me to go see, so I won't see it until home video.

You say it shouldn't be missed, I'm wishing I DID miss it. I was bored out of my skull aside from the maybe 5 minutes of actual action in the movie. This movie was damn dull! To each his own though...

Christina Hendricks not having her 'assets' as the sole emphasis of her performance? Gruesome violence? Ron Perlman? I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Also, it is a travesty that I fighting game with Bomberman and Optimus Prime didn't make it here, I'm ashamed there seemingly wasn't a demand for this in America.

My first thought when comparing this movie to others were taxi driver. The way it's filming the city, how it's protagonist is silent and feels sociopathic and/or retarded. The way Refn uses lighting and more, but I've won't spoil anything. Did'nt see the transporter connection at all. Anyway one of the best movies to come out this year so far, I've couldn't find a single flaw in this movie.

Sounds like a great film. Might just go and see it.

Anyways, looking forward to the Big Picture this October. Must be really interesting if you're promoting it a lot for that month. Seeing as it will be in october, I'm guessing it will be about Horror films, or Halloween subjects, the paranormal, or just small subjects that involve certain things that are often associated with Halloween. But then again, I could be wrong. :)

Jennacide:
Now I'm actually sorta interested in this. Having seen the ads, I instantly though "oh boy, another Transporter movie," except that I'm tired of them since the sequels to that movie weren't very good. Anything that let's Ron Perlman do his thing is good in my book, and I got a kick out of the comment about Hendricks, because she really is a good actress that is only remembered for her breasts. =(

The Grim Ace:
Christina Hendricks not having her 'assets' as the sole emphasis of her performance? Gruesome violence? Ron Perlman? I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Also, it is a travesty that I fighting game with Bomberman and Optimus Prime didn't make it here, I'm ashamed there seemingly wasn't a demand for this in America.

Don't get too excited about Hendricks; She's there for <10 minutes and her dialogue could probably fit on a big post-it.

The movie's still awesome though.

I like the idea of Driver being a "high functioning autistic" fellow. It is a good angle to look at someone who is violent and good at it.

I've never even heard of this movie before. I'm intrigued...time to go check it out.

That game at the end was "TV Superstars Megamix". I had it on the Gamecube way back when. There was a Hulk Hogan look-a-like in a bow-tie and a generic female lead with a duck shaped microphone as the host and hostest. Some of the other characters was a Japanese Barbie called "Licca" or something, Sold Snake (with a tux alternate costume) and Megatron. One of those stages they had was a yellow Devastator taking up the whole background.
I think the main reason it was never brought over most of the characters are licensed to different companies and quite possibly a headache to merge them for a sup-par fighting mechanic (three of those companies were Takara, Konami, and Hudson Soft). But still would have been great for a quick cash in.

Huh. Well, this just went in my "rent and check out" column of films. Thanks for the ehad sup on this one.

For the mention of Jacket, I enjoyed this episode a little bit more. Now to listen to the EP again.

Hey! The movie was reviewed! Good news all around.

I was stuck out in a hail/severe thunder/possible tornado-type storm last night and dropped by the local movie theatre for shelter. I had a choice between Drive, MoneyBall, and that kid's one about the dolphin. Drive was chosen because it was starting right then and gave me enough time to get to where I was going after it was over.

The cashier told me it was a good bank heist movie.

It was a good movie. I loved the slow scenes where everything was carefully building, and was shocked at that one scene with the chick in the bathroom (and, well, no need to spoil anything). I shouldn't have been surprised at the overly gruesome violence, as it was in the warnings associated with its description at the door, but it still jumped out at me in its random moments. One thing I loved the most was the expression of the main character as he slowly came about saying his lines. I couldn't tell if he was really thinking out something, or he was generally slow, but when he did say something it was powerful. Even when he repeated lines, they came out well.

I love the scorpion jacket and all it is worth.

When it was done, the rain had abated and I went on my merry way.

Captcha: Dalgarno Waprim

Hm... i might have to see this movie now then. I've been a bit curious about wether it would be worth it or not even though i've been hearing very vague statements that it's supposed to be good. Nice to see some ground under it.

Also... Will you be doing Johnny English Reborn at any point? I was surprised to have been to see a movie here in Norway that hasn't been covered at Escape to the Movies yet.

I don't get it. There already is a good Transporter. It's called Transporter 2.

Hendricks sucks and isn't attractive

I can't imagine The Escapist without Bob anymore.

Just some points.

1: Statham's character wasn't emotionless as he developed attachments to characters in EVERY transporter movie and from your description neither is Gosling's character.

2: This movie pushes the romance more than the Transporter which of course makes sense as why Gosling got the role since people fawn over him as if he's the second coming and he's put into a ton of romantically fueled scripts.

3: Sure the snap adjustment from second act to third act was an unexpected swift transition but thats what it was aimed to be to change the slightly dark but still things going ok romantic drama into a bit more of an action oriented flick. It's a technique thats done to death but you make it sound as if it's hardly done at all.

4: None of these things explain in any way how one of these movies is better than the other.

5: Also the long awkward pauses made it seem as if they edited out the parts where the actors kept asking for their lines.

Mr.Tea:

Jennacide:

The Grim Ace:

Don't get too excited about Hendricks; She's there for <10 minutes and her dialogue could probably fit on a big post-it.

The movie's still awesome though.

But she plays an important emotional character, a professional who gets scared. It's a good contrast to every other hitman or criminal in the movie.

The ending of her arc is quite shocking. But it reminded me of

OH-MY-GOD. I've seen your Idea of fun on the "The Game AntiThinker" series a while ago. Personally that's something I'd like to forget. Please, tell me that's not the sort of thing you're planning for October on The Big Picture. Seriously, Bob, you're awesome... but not as an actor. -_-

Been pretty eager to see this for a few weeks. Can't wait. It has so many of my favourite actors. I love Bryan Cranston and Al Brooks.

Another Spot on review Bob, more than a few reviews the past couple months have fallen into the 10% I disagree with pile.

Just saw Drive on Thursday night, perfect time to watch it by the way, and even I was surpirsed. I saw a brief flash one on of the vids that said it was good so I checked it out. I was going in expecting something similar to "The Transporter" but really they couldnt be more far apart, in a good way.

On one hand the "Transporter" movies are more designed to be balls out action with plenty of imaginative, brutal fight scenes and car stunts to wet any adrenaline junkies appetite. While "Driver" is a taught crime drama with sprinklings of high action throughout and a highly impact-full ending.'

I thought Ryan Gosling put in a very solid performance. Is it just me but did making him very silent actually help him? Without alot of dialogue emotions are expressed through his tone and body language, and he does it so well without the need for alot of dull convo. Maybe it was the direction but still.

Speaking of the ending, I wont spoil it, but I liked how it was very ambiguous. Alot of movies try to set up for a sequel in hopes that audiences like it. However the way this is done it could go either way, if they want to do a sequel they can, but if not it still has a definite end. It reminded me the ending to teh anime series "Cowboy Bebop", if youd seen it you would know.

I liked it but there wasn't really a lot of.. driving... in the movie.

Good flick though. Nothing wrong with a bit of ultra-violence.

yeah you didn't miss a lot with that game

it was a bit of fun, but not as replayable as Smash bros

hell, not even as polished

Primus1985:
Another Spot on review Bob, more than a few reviews the past couple months have fallen into the 10% I disagree with pile.

Just saw Drive on Thursday night, perfect time to watch it by the way, and even I was surpirsed. I saw a brief flash one on of the vids that said it was good so I checked it out. I was going in expecting something similar to "The Transporter" but really they couldnt be more far apart, in a good way.

On one hand the "Transporter" movies are more designed to be balls out action with plenty of imaginative, brutal fight scenes and car stunts to wet any adrenaline junkies appetite. While "Driver" is a taught crime drama with sprinklings of high action throughout and a highly impact-full ending.'

I thought Ryan Gosling put in a very solid performance. Is it just me but did making him very silent actually help him? Without alot of dialogue emotions are expressed through his tone and body language, and he does it so well without the need for alot of dull convo. Maybe it was the direction but still.

Speaking of the ending, I wont spoil it, but I liked how it was very ambiguous. Alot of movies try to set up for a sequel in hopes that audiences like it. However the way this is done it could go either way, if they want to do a sequel they can, but if not it still has a definite end. It reminded me the ending to teh anime series "Cowboy Bebop", if youd seen it you would know.

Cowboy bebop ending not clear? It is pretty clear at the end of bebop the character is or is not dead. It is pretty clear in this one if he is or is not at the end. Nothing really ambiguous about either one.

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have finally realized that ALL MOVIES ARE THE SAME! Good guy wins, and bad guys lose. Douchebag gets the girl, and all of it for no other reason than because the script says so. What is the point of watching movies, after five minutes of watching a movie I can tell you who will fall in love, who will die, and how the movie will end, so what is the point?

cerebus23:

Cowboy bebop ending not clear? It is pretty clear at the end of bebop the character is or is not dead. It is pretty clear in this one if he is or is not at the end. Nothing really ambiguous about either one.

I dont think you quite it, and thx for probably spoling it for thoise that havent watched it.

Actually no its not obvious in either case. In the case of Bebop, Spike's took a hell of lot more punishment and survived so its plausible they could have made more, the creator at one time was going to but decided not to.

In the case of "Driver" The Driver is still conscious and even driving away at the end. My theory is if you dont see it on screen it didnt happen, he wad still alive when we last saw him so its possible.

gmaverick019:

sravankb:
I saw this movie, and it was ridiculously slow. There are entire scenes where the characters just stare at each other for 10-15 seconds with nothing happening.
If the director was trying to be subtle about his "art", he should realize that beating his audience's heads over with "subtlety" defeats the purpose.

this.
i can enjoy a movie with next to no action at all, but based on the trailer and based on the title and everything, you would expect something different, something that wasn't retardedly slow and had maybe 10 minutes total in the whole movie of *decent* action or driving. even then transporter blows this movie to hell and back on driving sequences.

THANK YOU i thought i was crazy one for not liking this movies. i haven't left a theater soo disappointed since i saw Spider man 3.

yes the opening scene is pretty good and the outbursts of violence have more impact when there isn't action happening every 5 sec, but even if you wanna slow the movie down in between action scenes, there no reason for the awkward pauses. NONE

i get it you wanna build some special between the two characters, 5 sec of silence in one scene would have been enough. not 15+ seconds every time they "talk" to each other.

if you cut the time for silent stares in half, added one more scene of him being a driver inbetween the opening scene and the bank scene and fix that dumb ending and i prob would of loved the movie.

I'm not hating on anyone else liking the movies, its just very poloarizing either you'll love it or hate it. like sravankb said beating subtley over your audiences head isn't subtle

Hmmmm, a "good" Transporter, that's how it is being described? I guess you have to use references your audience will recognise. I had this movie described as a violent Two-Lane Blacktop that isn't a road movie. That description could get me to the cinema, a "good" Transporter would not.

Primus1985:

cerebus23:

I dont think you quite it, and thx for probably spoling it for thoise that havent watched it.

Actually no its not obvious in either case. In the case of Bebop, Spike's took a hell of lot more punishment and survived so its plausible they could have made more, the creator at one time was going to but decided not to.

In the case of "Driver" The Driver is still conscious and even driving away at the end. My theory is if you dont see it on screen it didnt happen, he wad still alive when we last saw him so its possible.

Ummm yea cowboy bebop the movie there is no mystery at all about spike being alive nor was there any mystery through the whole movie if he would die or not, the movie takes place in the latter half of the second season of the anime, so he was not going to die and the movie was released well after the anime was done.

How you get he died after anything in that movie is a mystery since he is resting on the couch musing about the similarites between him and vincent and then squashes any ideas of them being a sort of mirror for each other. Really think you need to rewatch lest the end of it i dunno how you could call the ending anything but crystal clear.

Driver again i did not spoil anything, but there was no confusion in my mind what happened at the end, and nothing i saw dispelled me any notions that the main character would not be around if the movie did well enough to garner a sequal. Nevermind that gut wounds are often far more painful than lethal and takes a long long time to bleed out even when shot thru the gut, and he never got a chance to twist or rake his knife to spill his guts out because his hand was grabbed and locked, so al he had wa sa moderately torn knife entry wound into his gut, it would be hellish painful, and you would need some kind of surgery to patch yourself up but you would have hours to do so with some care, nm if your a terminator type robot killer.

Only part was a tad unclear for me at the end was if he had his own knife or if he grabbed it from the other guy. Oh an any details about the character, but i kind of liked that we get to know only bits and pieces via the girl and his lone friend. And if nor not the girl went off on her own or with him after and where the money was at that point, tho i kind of assume at the point she saw him do that thing he did in front of her he chose what path he had to take and it might have been the choice to let her go after no matter what happened on his own, and all the better to have a more tidy sequal if the main is not tied down with a ball and chain, nm if you cannot sign an actress for the sequal.

Clonekiller:
No good movies came out this week huh? I guess there was that one movie "Courageous", which had a rather solid script with above average cinematography and acting. However, its a Christian movie. Hence, that makes it bad. *facepalm*

He said nothing interesting came out this week. Lots of movies come out each week, so he only picks movies that are unique/bad/good enough to talk about.

It's nothing against religion. Don't be like that please.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here