Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

sravankb:
"If I had said that the plot was good, none of you would say that it doesn't matter"

I cannot be the only one who thinks this was a stupid fucking argument. How does it make sense?

If the plot was good, then we would say that it matters, dumbass. No one would say that it doesn't. The only difference being that people would say that the plot and the gameplay were great.

They're not mutually exclusive, dude. Man, I could've sworn Yahtzee was smarter than this, but oh well.

No gears fans say the plot doesn't matter but if he said the plot was good they wouldn't be saying that, simple yeh?

Penguin_Factory:
I don't mind that Gears of War is stupid and idiotic, I just wish Epic were aware of it. With the sole exception of that bit in Gears of War 2 (you know the one I'm talking about), the games' attempts at taking the story seriously are laughable. Any scene that features Marcus Fenix is doomed to unintentional self-parody due to how cartoonish he is. It's like if someone made a word-for-word remake of Saving Private Ryan but replaced all the characters with the cast of Spawn.

Actually speaking of GoW 2, instead of this game ending with the humans gazing wistfully into the sunset having just heroically fought against impossible odds to save humanity despite losing many friends and comrades on the way (I haven't actually played the game, but I'd bet substantial amounts of money that's how it ends), what if Dom was the main character and his search for his wife was the entire point of the trilogy? And it ended at That Scene from the second game? No conclusion to the war, no final boss, just that scene. That would have been awesome.

I disagree the games ending was just fine. They lost most of their friends and watched his father die, the Locusts are dead, the government no longer exists, and the future is uncertain. It was a great ending. As for the story "taking it self too seriously" i thought they did good in comparison to the way it was handled in prievous Gear games. And while i did not "cry" at the death scene, i was like "damn" ( especially when that theme kicked in) Also people seem to forget that fans demanded that the Gears story be focused on more in the sequels, i was just fine the way it was tbh. If you want to talk about a story that takes itself way to seriously to the point of self parody, lets look at God of War 3. Wosrt that Gears 3 in that respect.

Caramel Frappe:
I've seen a bit of gameplay on Gears of War 3. It's nothing special to me, and they added even more brown then the last one (since I played Gears of War 2 with some memory to it) thus think they just wanted it to suit the main plot about the World going to blow up.

Wouldn't that mean the Locus would also be in danger and the whole series with the war was a waste of time? Now I am confused...

How far did you get into Gears 2, just out of interest? And did you play in on your console or at a friends? Just curious, is all.

OT: Funny video. Still gonna get it when I have some cash though.

Macrobstar:

sravankb:
"If I had said that the plot was good, none of you would say that it doesn't matter"

I cannot be the only one who thinks this was a stupid fucking argument. How does it make sense?

If the plot was good, then we would say that it matters, dumbass. No one would say that it doesn't. The only difference being that people would say that the plot and the gameplay were great.

They're not mutually exclusive, dude. Man, I could've sworn Yahtzee was smarter than this, but oh well.

No gears fans say the plot doesn't matter but if he said the plot was good they wouldn't be saying that, simple yeh?

If the plot was good, they wouldn't say that it doesn't matter. They would be saying it's good.

Simple, yeah? Read my post again.

I played GoW1, and I don't remember a damn thing about it.

JSRT:
Um no their isn't. Again have you played thee game?! There is just as much color in the campaign and no this isn't the only map that looks like this not even close. Maybe you should look at campaign footage on Youtube ( since it's clear you don't own the game) sorry but "they added more brown" just isn't true. They added more color and anyone who played the campaign knows this. ( in story wise the color injecttion that Gears got in part is because it takes place during the summer months on Serra. Actually it's an excuse for Epic to show off their "Light mass" tech) Saying that it's more brown than part 2 just proves you did not play it and are talking out of your ass....

Well, as much as I like debates- seems like you're taking this personally to heart in a bad way. As I stated in my first post, I played a bit of Gears of War 2 along with watching some gamplay on Gears of War 3 over a friend's house.

No, I do not own the game and I am glad that I don't own it. Even Yahtzee himself says that it's just all splattered in brown, that it's fuzzing up his mind (that, and he's forgetting the game altogether) So despite your tone of a post, I must say to me personally it's still to much in the brown as far as I have seen. Especially the first chapter, in the ship. In fact, I even pulled this video out of nowhere and watched it- mostly brown. Take a look if you wish.

Eh. The multiplayer is enjoyable sometimes, but I more or less bought it and play it because a friend of mine does.
Yet once MW3 and Skyrim come out, I'll pretty much forget this game even exists.
Oh well.
I don't disagree with anything Yahtzee says, it just sucks that I still bloody bought this game.

Macrobstar:

JSRT:

SnakeoilSage:
Alright! Gears of War 3, finally! I'm so psyched. This means the series is over now and we can go back to innovating shooters instead of dragging them through the mud, right?

It's not Gears fault that a bunch of shooters copied it instead of doing their own thing, as much as it wasn't Halo or COD's faults either. Gears was quite innovative when it came out, which is why other shooters ( Army of Two, Uncharted) copied gameplay mechanics from it to begin with.

How is uncharted similar to gears? The majority of he game is spent platforming and puzzling

The majority of Uncharted 2 was spent shooting in elaborate set
pieces. The platforming aspect was laughable compared to other games it held your hand and the puzzle aspects were as well compared to the likes of Tomb Raider. The cover mechanics of UC2 were very Gears esque. It's funny how people always compare UC with Tomb Raider when it's much closer to Gears gameplay wise.

It's an awesome game, but there is no real reason for the characters to be so huge, although I guess the armour accounts for some of that.
SPOILERS

ColdStorage~ I Spoilered the comment, so you don't have to!

This review really rubs me the wrong way, I imagine some people around here will call me a fanboy but the definition of fanboy on Zero Punctuation seems to be a person that likes whatever Yahtzee hates, you know, that very limited and enclosed circle of genre and quality so strict that a game needs to be practically perfect or a total revolution just to be mentioned. Yahtzee seems to have a tendency to only talk about a game's problems when he reviews, and it can get a little weird to hear him bash a game for 4 minutes just to have him wrap up with how good it is. The thing is, I'm also a Halo fan and I took his Reach and Halo 3 reviews in good light, but for some reason I just felt sick while watching this. Admittedly I can look over most of it because it's Yahtzee's style, the usual, dull and repetitive and chest high wall jokes and the characters with no personality I can forget that I disagree with them and laugh at it. A couple of things bugged me about this review, first of all was the usual brown complaint, ignoring the fact that brown what I would expect from a planet like Sera, the game takes you to several colorful areas that all felt unique, the last act taking place in a massive and gorgeous hotel. Secondly, he mentioned that the world was going to blow up...when did it mention that? All I got was that it was going down the crapper and the Lambent were taking over, but the planet itself would be intact. Third, I actually felt that the plot was well written, we get some emotional moments from Cole in the beginning that actually made me feel really sorry for him, knowing what he had lost and knowing that he would never get it back, not to mention I always knew what I was trying to accomplish. And as someone who only ever skimmed plot summaries of the novels, I had a fair grasp about what was going on. Fourth, Yahtzee said that Gears 2 didn't leave any impact on him and he couldn't remember what it was about. He mentioned that he has to play a game, think of jokes for it, write a script, put together a video and post it all in one week while squeezing that around the rest of his life. It doesn't sound like he has the time to sit back and drink in the finer parts of a game, and to be frank I doubt he remember much of the hundreds upon hundreds of games that he has played. Personally I remember what happened in Gears of War 2 very clearly and I haven't played it in months, but since it was a covered based shooter, I get the feeling Yahtzee wasn't even trying to enjoy it, just get it over with.

All these can be overlooked though, but what really put the nail in the coffin and got me angry was how he more or less said that Dom's death was forgetful and rather pointless. This was also coupled together with how he mentioned earlier that the idea of Marcus doing drama was laughable, when Marcus' reaction coupled with the death felt like a punch to the stomach and made me tear up. As for why it was necessary, when I was playing it, on normal, Lambent, Locust and Formers were coming at me from all sides and I was on the brink of death the entire fight and running low on ammo...on normal. I seriously doubt that they would've just let us climb in the truck, even if we did manage to all cram into it. Mad World playing over it softly made nearly it impossible to not cry. To me that was the saddest part of the game and Yahtzee just brushed over it, so I think I reserve the right to be a little mad. If he ever reads this (I know he probably won't) and anyone else that reads it will probably think that I'm a GOW fanboy when in reality I'm actually a casual fan and I've never read a single comic or book based on the series and have only played GOW 2 and GOW 3. Keep this in mind when I think that Gears of War 3 was one of the best games of this year.

sravankb:

And yes, it is an act. Let's face that fact. No one who complains about games to this extent can also say that he likes them as an art form.

Nitpicking is not complaining, you can still like something and complain about it, here watch, saints row 2's graphics are shit, but its my favourite game ever, crazy right?
As for gears 3, some people just don't like this kind of thing, the reason these games get a positive reception is that people who review them are fans of the genre, Yahtzee has to review games from genres he's not a fan of so how do you expect him to be positive?

Sassafrass:
How far did you get into Gears 2, just out of interest? And did you play in on your console or at a friends? Just curious, is all.

Truth be told, I played maybe 3 chapters at my friend's house on a console in Gears of War 2 (on the back of a tank or something, shooting down other tanks sliding down a hill). Another chapter was that.. um, one terrible scene where that guy had to *SPOILER* shoot his wife. I was sad and stopped playing at that moment.

Only seen a bit of Gears of War 3.. .when they're fighting tentacles and just random locus creatures. Probably not enough to entirely confirm Gears of War 3 to be more brown, but I got the impression after watching a bit. So my bad if otherwise.

sravankb:

Macrobstar:

sravankb:

If the plot was good, they wouldn't say that it doesn't matter. They would be saying it's good.

Simple, yeah? Read my post again.

Thats the point, the fans are being hypocritical, "gears plot doesn't matter its all about the gameplay, oh wait the plot is good? then hell yeh it matters"

JSRT:

Macrobstar:

JSRT:

It's not Gears fault that a bunch of shooters copied it instead of doing their own thing, as much as it wasn't Halo or COD's faults either. Gears was quite innovative when it came out, which is why other shooters ( Army of Two, Uncharted) copied gameplay mechanics from it to begin with.

How is uncharted similar to gears? The majority of he game is spent platforming and puzzling

The majority of Uncharted 2 was spent shooting in elaborate set
pieces. The platforming aspect was laughable compared to other games it held your hand and the puzzle aspects were as well compared to the likes of Tomb Raider. The cover mechanics of UC2 were very Gears esque. It's funny how people always compare UC with Tomb Raider when it's much closer to Gears gameplay wise.

Well thats where we disagree, uncharted is far less combat focused then gears
Opinions ay?

I think that Yahtzee was pretty unfair in this review. He could've talked about the gameplay more. But really, he just doesn't get it: These are stereotypical hero marines out doing the work of our great country. No matter what happens, you can always count on us good-ol'-boys to save the day. Also, the voice acting was quite excellent, full of a lot of emotion, for marine heroes. Characterized through the novels as... as...

No no, nevermind, I've not played a single one of those games... nor read any of the books. I think they're macho power fantasies built into bland first-person-shooters. Although, I'd like to bring up that the pretentiousness of THIS series at the third of the trilogy seems to be MORE than Halo's.
---
Also, Yahtzee sounded annoyed already... I don't think he's going to make it through the FPS season...

JSRT:

You could harp on the story all you want, the FACT of the matter is gameplay wise Gears is a cut above 90% of the shooters out now. Most TPS this gen including the all mighty sacred cow, Uncharted 2 copies mechanics that Gears of War perfected. It was as influential to shooters this gen as Halo was last gen. This is fact....

Vanquish did it better.

Caramel Frappe:

Sassafrass:

Truth be told, I played maybe 3 chapters at my friend's house on a console in Gears of War 2 (on the back of a tank or something, shooting down other tanks sliding down a hill). Another chapter was that.. um, one terrible scene where that guy had to *SPOILER* shoot his wife. I was sad and stopped playing at that moment.

Only seen a bit of Gears of War 3.. .when they're fighting tentacles and just random locus creatures. Probably not enough to entirely confirm Gears of War 3 to be more brown, but I got the impression after watching a bit. So my bad if otherwise.

Ah, so you got about half way in then, fair enough. Ignore me, then.

But as for Gears 3 being more brown, I have no idea if it is or not but I've seen a few screens that are full of colour and brown too. Which, to be honest, is what I'd expect from a game based in a universe that's going to shit.

I like Gears. I want games to be good with story and plot, and I guess Gears 3 disappointed my hopes but I wasn't exactly expecting Half-Life 2 levels of subtle exposition. I bought Gears because I thought it was going to be fun, and it is. I feel that Gears fills in the much needed quota of manly that I'm missing from games nowadays. Most of the other games in my collection are about normal people using their wits to get by enemies.

I prefer the multiplayer to something like Modern Warfare, where someone is automatically better than me because they figured out the best weapon combo.

Macrobstar:

Thats the point, the fans are being hypocritical, "gears plot doesn't matter its all about the gameplay, oh wait the plot is good? then hell yeh it matters"

It wouldn't go "oh wait, the plot is good". It doesn't make sense for it to be a sudden realization.

And let's face it, Yahtzee was never gonna say that the plot was good. It's a stupid fall-back argument that he's using to try and cover up the obvious fact that most people play this game for the gameplay and not the story. We know that he's deliberately missing the point of the game just so that he has something to complain about.

Sassafrass:

But as for Gears 3 being more brown, I have no idea if it is or not but I've seen a few screens that are full of colour and brown too. Which, to be honest, is what I'd expect from a game based in a universe that's going to shit.

I'd never ignore you- that's just rude! (lol).

True true. I should of said that in most maps, it's mostly brown and I should of looked deeper into the game itself for the colorization if presented at any point. Then again, a world that's going to blow up and everyone's being beyond reasonably tough- it's hard to get attached to any of the characters or the story... otherwise I would of continued playing the series.

CriticalQuit:

WaitWHAT:
Thank god he finally went for the fanboys! Seriously, fanboys claim that people who like Yahtzee take his word as gospel truth, but ironically, seem to be the ones who use his words to back their arguements most!

Though a lot of people trust his judgment, including myself, I don't always. yes, I got Saints Row 2 because of him, and I loved it, but I also really liked Mirror's Edge, a game he found to be rather terrible, albeit unique.

I agree. Most I consider Yahtzee a helpful opinion, not a "god" as many fanboys say.

Caramel Frappe:

Sassafrass:

I'd never ignore you- that's just rude! (lol).

True true. I should of said that in most maps, it's mostly brown and I should of looked deeper into the game itself for the colorization if presented at any point. Then again, a world that's going to blow up and everyone's being beyond reasonably tough- it's hard to get attached to any of the characters or the story... otherwise I would of continued playing the series.

You do know that the majority of the last act takes place on and around a shinning bright five star hotel right? Yes I have played and beaten the game...twice.

Draconalis:

Pyramid Head:
Something something something Negative VanDread comment

Hey! Vandread was awesome! You're a terrible person for not enjoying it!

You're right! Aside from the fact that there wasn't a single intelligent character and that the leader of the pirate crew was highly ineffective and the plot was complete bullshit, it was awesome!

Oh wait... no. It was poorly written and intensely annoying. Hell, i think Gears of War was better written.

Sassafrass:

Caramel Frappe:

Sassafrass:

You know what I find funny? People on the Escapist complain constantly about "brown shooters" but don't have a problem with Fallout 3's visuals, which is nothing but brown and grey, with the addition of shit textures.

sravankb:

Sassafrass:

Caramel Frappe:

You know what I find funny? People on the Escapist complain constantly about "brown shooters" but don't have a problem with Fallout 3's visuals, which is nothing but brown and grey, with the addition of shit textures.

It begs the question what is wrong with brown? Are people saying they want a game where everything is hot pink? Personally I think brown and gray environments work for a game, giving it a dark edge.

sravankb:
1. The planet's gonna "explode". Don't know where he got that from.

2. "Were the lambent introduced in the earlier games?" Yes, all the way back in Gears 1.

3. "Was Anya there in the games before this one?" Again, back in GoW1.

Yup, he's definitely qualified to criticize the story aspect of the game (of all the fucking things to talk about in a Gears game).

Mind you, I did like Yahtzee's earlier reviews, where he actually knew what he's talking about, but his constant negativity is just getting stale at this point. His act of not liking anything is just plain boring now.

And yes, it is an act. Let's face that fact. No one who complains about games to this extent can also say that he likes them as an art form.

Spot on. You don't remember the story of the game? They actually have an option thing to catch you up. Anya was a little confusing at first because she had a different hairstyle, but not being able to remember? I've only played gears co-op on a friends copy and I remember that. He should have commented on how they had designer hair styles while the world was going to shit, that would have made more sense.

I never even understood world exploding, when did they mention that? They only mentioned that the lambent were taking over, that's it. Complaining that you don't remember the story from the older games isn't the games fault, that's yours. I still remember the basic story of most of the games that i've played, even terrible ones like viking (well, up until I stopped playing it due to boredom).

Aside from that, spot of with the rest of the critique, gears has some problems that actually were made fun of quite well here, it was just the earlier stuff had me going "what, what, did you actually play the game?".

Great review, and damn funny. I loved that last bit: "yup, this as to go, need to make room for an extendange of the cleavage department".

Mutak:
Speaking of using meta-game knowledge to deduce plot points...didn't everyone who played Deus Ex intuitively know that Adam's ex was still alive as soon as they saw that there were no romance-ish dialogue options with the pilot?

Yes, I did. Too bad, I liked Malik. She was fun ... and hot ... I never asked for this already established girlfriend!

major_chaos:
why am I less than amazed that he likes that steaming turd Hard Reset just because its "retro"
also I don't think its fair to completely dismiss and ignore a games story and then say that the story is bad, also the game has sold very well for "a relic". but anyway funny video even if I disagree that's the magic of ZP

Um...He likes Hard reset because it reminds him of a game he liked( Painkiller), Not because it's retro.Also, since when has Yahtzee ever remained consistent.

it was an amusing video sure, dot dot dot

but, dot dot dot

i really kind of expected more from him, calling a game forgettable is fine, but to forget plot elements (no matter how dull) is rather unprofessional of him.

it's like his rant about 40k, it smacked of ignorance, like he's less trying to post his IMFORMED opinion and just trying to rile the fans up.

if he don't like it fine, what ever, I'd prefer he come up with valid reasons rather then just dissmissing it at a glance or not being bothered to pay attention enough to do his own job :p

(FYI, no, not a gears fanboy, never played it, no intention to, love me some 40k though)

Pyramid Head:

You're right! Aside from the fact that there wasn't a single intelligent character and that the leader of the pirate crew was highly ineffective and the plot was complete bullshit, it was awesome!

Oh wait... no. It was poorly written and intensely annoying. Hell, i think Gears of War was better written.

The tone of that series was comedy, and that's exactly how I took it. It made me laugh, mission accomplished.

JSRT:

I never found "Duck!" to be a particularly innovative approach to a video game shooter. We nailed that one on the head pretty well with Contra.

For that matter, if you're gonna stick Marcus behind wall anyways, why don't they wear shields? Just duck down and you've got plenty of cover. When an enemy gets close you can smack him with it. You can upgrade it with extra ammo slots, an additional gun, spikes for hard-hitting melee.

There. I just fixed Gears of War's problem in a single paragraph.

Why is my Captcha in friggin' Greek?!

Caramel Frappe:

JSRT:
Um no their isn't. Again have you played thee game?! There is just as much color in the campaign and no this isn't the only map that looks like this not even close. Maybe you should look at campaign footage on Youtube ( since it's clear you don't own the game) sorry but "they added more brown" just isn't true. They added more color and anyone who played the campaign knows this. ( in story wise the color injecttion that Gears got in part is because it takes place during the summer months on Serra. Actually it's an excuse for Epic to show off their "Light mass" tech) Saying that it's more brown than part 2 just proves you did not play it and are talking out of your ass....

Well, as much as I like debates- seems like you're taking this personally to heart in a bad way. As I stated in my first post, I played a bit of Gears of War 2 along with watching some gamplay on Gears of War 3 over a friend's house.

No, I do not own the game and I am glad I don't own it. Even Yahtzee himself says that it's just all splattered in brown, that it's fuzzing up his mind (that, and he's forgetting the game altogether) So despite your tone of a post, I must say to me personally it's still to much in the brown as far as I have seen. Especially the first chapter, in the ship. In fact, I even pulled this video out of nowhere and watched it- mostly brown. Take a look if you wish.

Yeah everyone who shits on this game is usualy those who "played a bit of it at a friend's house " or "saw a friend playing it" lol. How about you take a look at all of chapter 3 on up and tell me the game is "spattered with brown". I'm not taking anything personally , it annoys me when people try to bash a game using blatantly false info. Also "Yahtzee himself said it was brown"? This the same Yahtzee who implied he remembered little about the game and didn't know what the hell was gong on half the time. Yeah lets take his word for it.

Ive been playing it on hardcore when I've never played GOW before and it's the same thing over and over, It is almost tiring becuase it's just shoot shoot shoot shoot. I also don't understand how the characters didn't figure out what was creating the lambent the second they saw them...

The plot doesn't seem to make any sense but I put that down to me not playing the previous games. I got the impression tha the writers enjoy writing Cole more than Marcus.

Also the plot lost all believability when a man wanted to swap bacon for a woman....would never happen. :p

erttheking:

sravankb:

It begs the question what is wrong with brown? Are people saying they want a game where everything is hot pink? Personally I think brown and gray environments work for a game, giving it a dark edge.

Same here. I like most brown games, to be honest. I'm just asking for the people here to have some bloody consistency with their so-called "arguments". I loved games like NFS:Most Wanted, Deus Ex:HR, and this one for their visuals. I don't think a game needs a constant barrage of colors to give it a thumbs up in the visuals department.

Which brings me back to my example of Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, where nothing was changed). Those games have "brown-and-grey" all over them. Hell, most of them don't even work half the bloody time, considering how many glitches they have.

But, oh no, we can't talk about the precious RPGs that way. It doesn't matter if the gameplay doesn't change there, or that the visuals (by their own standards) "suck", or that it doesn't even fucking work. What we need to do is rail on the shooters cause they're the easiest target.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here