Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Jkudo:

JSRT:

You could harp on the story all you want, the FACT of the matter is gameplay wise Gears is a cut above 90% of the shooters out now. Most TPS this gen including the all mighty sacred cow, Uncharted 2 copies mechanics that Gears of War perfected. It was as influential to shooters this gen as Halo was last gen. This is fact....

Vanquish did it better.

That's what's called an opinion, i notice that on forums people usually tend to confuse these with facts. And i liked Vanquish but it fell a bit flat in the replayability dept, IMO. Even still Vanquish is a nother shooter that borrowed heaviy from Gears but put it's own spin on the formula...

sravankb:

Sassafrass:

Caramel Frappe:

Truth be told, I played maybe 3 chapters at my friend's house on a console in Gears of War 2 (on the back of a tank or something, shooting down other tanks sliding down a hill). Another chapter was that.. um, one terrible scene where that guy had to *SPOILER* shoot his wife. I was sad and stopped playing at that moment.

Only seen a bit of Gears of War 3.. .when they're fighting tentacles and just random locus creatures. Probably not enough to entirely confirm Gears of War 3 to be more brown, but I got the impression after watching a bit. So my bad if otherwise.

Ah, so you got about half way in then, fair enough. Ignore me, then.

But as for Gears 3 being more brown, I have no idea if it is or not but I've seen a few screens that are full of colour and brown too. Which, to be honest, is what I'd expect from a game based in a universe that's going to shit.

You know what I find funny? People on the Escapist complain constantly about "brown shooters" but don't have a problem with Fallout 3's visuals, which is nothing but brown and grey, with the addition of shit textures.

Yup. The same way people around here talk crap about Gears having violent muscle heads, have no problem with Kratos in GOW who's only personality trait is being angry. ( in fact Yahtzee himself has praised the series as well) People look over the things that supposedly annoy them when it's a game they like.

JSRT:
Yeah everyone who shits on this game is usualy those who "played a bit of it at a friend's house " or "saw a friend playing it" lol. How about you take a look at all of chapter 3 on up and tell me the game is "spattered with brown". I'm not taking anything personally , it annoys me when people try to bash a game using blatantly false info. Also "Yahtzee himself said it was brown"? This the same Yahtzee who implied he remembered little about the game and didn't know what the hell was gong on half the time. Yeah lets take his word for it.

You've sort of countered argued yourself. You say that I bashed the game itself, but in truth I just stated it looks more brown then I remembered when I played/observed it. Gears of War 2 had brown in sections of the game, while Gears of War 3 seemed to have as much through my observations when in truth there can/are parts that are colorful especially the last chapter in a 5 star hotel (as an Escapist told me). That's not bashing but rather making a claim which doesn't apply to the game sucking or not.

Also, if you personally get on Yahtzee for his words and saying sarcastically that we should follow him (meaning he's full of it in your opinion) then why do you watch his reviews? He played far more then I did and still stated what I said. The reason he couldn't remember most of it because the game tended to have scenes that made it hard to remember. If you're seriously into the game, you will remember it. If you're like me and Yahtzee... you'll forget overtime. It's just one of those games you only play for multiplayer and not the main story.

SnakeoilSage:

JSRT:
It's not Gears fault that a bunch of shooters copied it instead of doing their own thing, as much as it wasn't Halo or COD's faults either. Gears was quite innovative when it came out, which is why other shooters ( Army of Two, Uncharted) copied gameplay mechanics from it to begin with.

I never found "Duck!" to be a particularly innovative approach to a video game shooter. We nailed that one on the head pretty well with Contra.

For that matter, if you're gonna stick Marcus behind wall anyways, why don't they wear shields? Just duck down and you've got plenty of cover. When an enemy gets close you can smack him with it. You can upgrade it with extra ammo slots, an additional gun, spikes for hard-hitting melee.

There. I just fixed Gears of War's problem in a single paragraph.

Why is my Captcha in friggin' Greek?!

Well it's a good thing that there is far more to the gameplay than "duck". I love how people who often complain that games are not realistic enough these days (lol, games) are opposed to a cover system. I mean i've never been in a shootout in real life but if i ever were i am pretty sure that i would take cover behind something as opposed to bunny hopping around the battlefield. The is a good way to avoid being shot. Cover system is part of Gears of War's gameplay why would they change it? If you see the cover mechanic in Gears as a "problem" maybe you shoud be playing a game that isn't a cover shooter, eh?

Sorry double post...

Mutak:
Speaking of using meta-game knowledge to deduce plot points...didn't everyone who played Deus Ex intuitively know that Adam's ex was still alive as soon as they saw that there were no romance-ish dialogue options with the pilot?

It was the single most obvious thing ever.

The only character that I like is Marcus's dad and the only reason for that is because he kinda looks like Walter White from Breaking Bad.

Caramel Frappe:

JSRT:
Yeah everyone who shits on this game is usualy those who "played a bit of it at a friend's house " or "saw a friend playing it" lol. How about you take a look at all of chapter 3 on up and tell me the game is "spattered with brown". I'm not taking anything personally , it annoys me when people try to bash a game using blatantly false info. Also "Yahtzee himself said it was brown"? This the same Yahtzee who implied he remembered little about the game and didn't know what the hell was gong on half the time. Yeah lets take his word for it.

You've sort of countered argued yourself. You say that I bashed the game itself, but in truth I just stated it looks more brown then I remembered when I played/observed it. Gears of War 2 had brown in sections of the game, while Gears of War 3 seemed to have as much through my observations when in truth there can/are parts that are colorful especially the last chapter in a 5 star hotel (as an Escapist told me). That's not bashing but rather making a claim which doesn't apply to the game sucking or not.

Also, if you personally get on Yahtzee for his words and saying sarcastically that we should follow him (meaning he's full of it in your opinion) then why do you watch his reviews? He played far more then I did and still stated what I said. The reason he couldn't remember most of it because the game tended to have scenes that made it hard to remember. If you're seriously into the game, you will remember it. If you're like me and Yahtzee... you'll forget overtime. It's just one of those games you only play for multiplayer and not the main story.

Your "observations" come from limited looks at the game, you've said as much yourself. You payed through a few chapters of part 2 and haven't seen much of 3. The game looks far more vibrant that former Gears game at the lighting is the best i have seen on a console thus far. Even most reviewers point to this including Digital Foundry's analysis of Gear Graphics. There is the Hotel in chapter 5 but also Chapter 3 that takes place in ambent infested village ( also this level is in MP and is comparable to the Tibet village MP map in UC2)

Also the whole " The reason he couldn't remember most of it because the game tended to have scenes that made it hard to remember." is nothing more than a weak cop out. It's also one of the reasons i watch Yahtzee's reviews for entertainment purposes rather than serious reviews.( though admittedly he usually has valid points in his rants, which made this episode all the more disappointing) But his hardcore fanboys seem to take his word as law. Bashing a game they've clearly never played, and accusing it of being "more brown" when it's pretty much the opposite.

As far as being "one of those games you only play for MP" , i was always more of s Halo guy. I just didn't "get" Gears MP.( although i am getting better with it now) i always played Gears for the excellent SP campaign, Gears has always had a strong SP campaign. You judge it by the story while i judge it by the Gameplay. Because that is the most important part. A game could have a story comparable to Citizen Kane, but who cares if it isn't fun to play? Frankly Gears story isn't as bad as the haters would have you believe, if anything it's just not told as well as it is in the expanded fiction.( Halo has the same issue) But that is just fine with me, this is a videogame. Not a movie or a book.

first Zero Punc I've disagreed with.

Gears has a story and it has nuance. but it's hard to notice it between all the explosions and screaming.

You can say the story was badly delivered (and then delve into a critique of why/how the devs failed).

but it's pretty lame to admit you just weren't paying attention and couldn't follow the story (or remember names).

and it's even worse to claim there is no story (or characters).
ugh.

Robert632:

major_chaos:
why am I less than amazed that he likes that steaming turd Hard Reset just because its "retro"
also I don't think its fair to completely dismiss and ignore a games story and then say that the story is bad, also the game has sold very well for "a relic". but anyway funny video even if I disagree that's the magic of ZP

Um...He likes Hard reset because it reminds him of a game he liked( Painkiller), Not because it's retro.Also, since when has Yahtzee ever remained consistent.

yes I know I worded that poorly I already corrected myself in a different post tho

I... really don't agree with anything that's been said here. I thought it was fun. Isn't that the point of games? To have fun? This just seemed like a rage-fest to compensate for Yahtzee being nice to a few games in the past.

Really, I think that this was the epitome of action gaming. Just about everything in this interview was overblown mush. Usually I can deal with him disliking a game that I like, and I usually find them funny, but this was just pretty unnecessary. That is, unless you're one of those guys who wears hipster-chic vests and fedoras and refuses to like any mainstream game. Then it's okay! (had to get that little bit out)

What's weird is that i always wondered why gears was successful it just seemed boring, but then i saw someone play gears 3 and it looked fucking awesome. Well playing as monsters looked fucking awesome. Single player looked better then gears 2 because he didn't just sit in cover the entire time, but hoard mode looked amazing. Still he plays a lot of games, it's not a big deal if he doesn't remember the plot of gears 2. Then again if he remembers other plots then it's not really a point in gears favor.

If cliffy b was mad at an 8 wait till he sees this.

JSRT:

Jkudo:

JSRT:

You could harp on the story all you want, the FACT of the matter is gameplay wise Gears is a cut above 90% of the shooters out now. Most TPS this gen including the all mighty sacred cow, Uncharted 2 copies mechanics that Gears of War perfected. It was as influential to shooters this gen as Halo was last gen. This is fact....

Vanquish did it better.

That's what's called an opinion, i notice that on forums people usually tend to confuse these with facts. And i liked Vanquish but it fell a bit flat in the replayability dept, IMO. Even still Vanquish is a nother shooter that borrowed heaviy from Gears but put it's own spin on the formula...

Dude....vanquish is like the king of replay-ability. It's an arcade game. I loved playing it again on hard and i feel hard should be the standard mode, even if i haven't beaten the last level yet..I haven't even tried challenge mode yet but when the challenge mode demo came out i played it like 20 times.

Saying gears perfected cover shooting is also an opinion. Saying gears is a cut above 90% of shooters is also an opinion. OPINIONS!

sravankb:

Same here. I like most brown games, to be honest. I'm just asking for the people here to have some bloody consistency with their so-called "arguments". I loved games like NFS:Most Wanted, Deus Ex:HR, and this one for their visuals. I don't think a game needs a constant barrage of colors to give it a thumbs up in the visuals department.

Which brings me back to my example of Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, where nothing was changed). Those games have "brown-and-grey" all over them. Hell, most of them don't even work half the bloody time, considering how many glitches they have.

But, oh no, we can't talk about the precious RPGs that way. It doesn't matter if the gameplay doesn't change there, or that the visuals (by their own standards) "suck", or that it doesn't even fucking work. What we need to do is rail on the shooters cause they're the easiest target.

People complain WAAAAY to much about brown shooters. They also behave as if every game released is a brown shooter, every shooter is brown, and they are destroying the industry. Gears 3 looks good. Resistance 3 looks good. In fact brown shooters are in the minority of the entire shooter genre....Shooters that are brown for no reason are an even smaller minority. I'm sick of people complaining about brown shooters like a game's only value is how much of the rainbow it uses.

JSRT:

The majority of Uncharted 2 was spent shooting in elaborate set
pieces. The platforming aspect was laughable compared to other games it held your hand and the puzzle aspects were as well compared to the likes of Tomb Raider. The cover mechanics of UC2 were very Gears esque. It's funny how people always compare UC with Tomb Raider when it's much closer to Gears gameplay wise.

The platforming is not laughable in uncharted and the majority of the game is not spent shooting in elaborate set pieces. I never found puzzles to be difficult or numerous but there is A LOT of platforming. The cover mechanics of UC2 could be found in games before gears. What uncharted got from gears was it's realistic setting. It's actually very different from gears gameplay wise. I see the influences, but they are minimal. The wack-a-mole in uncharted is actually fairly limited, especially when compared to gears 2.

Who's ready for another reader mailbag? I can see Yahtzee doing with this what he did with Smash Bros. Brawl.

rated pg:
instead of the gameplay or, y'know, the reasons people buy games.

Well you might have drifted off during the part where he did mention the gameplay; i.e: that it's the exact same as the previous two games, one of which he has reviewed (and the general sentiment there was that it's actually pretty solid).

Gee, looks like Yahtzee's not the only one that prefers to focus on the negative stuff...

Observe how you win every arguement about a game's quality (or at least leave the other side unable to give a decent responce).
"I had fun with it and don't care for your opinion."

To be honest if you want to call it an emotional rollercoaster, it is the worst emotional rollercoaster out there... In fact that goes for plot wise too. I felt as if the climax was when the one main character died instead of at the end when the other obscurely main character died. Still it was much fun doing the chainsaw visectomies. If you develop an infection don't call me because I don't give a damn thank you and have a good day.

coldalarm:

JackandTom:

Von Strimmer:

Seems we are a rare breed my friend. I thought the story line was great. The voice acting was something that stuck with me the whole way through aswell. I suspect the reason there are very few Gears supporters on here right now is because they are on their consoles playing it right now and HAVING FUN.

Well, thank god i'm not alone! I think you suspected right. TO THE XBOX!

As a PC gamer, I've only played GoW 1, but I think I see the problem with at least the voice acting. The problem is Gears of War's voice directors subscribe to what I call the Steve Blum Method. Steve Blum is a great voice actor (I mean, come on, Bulletstorm), but he is forced into the same Sausage Fest Marine Voice every damned game. That's what happened with Gears of War and its voice actors. Everyone talks in the same style of voice, and the only major different character in GoW1 (Out of the main ones) was Cole Train, who was pretty much a stereotypical black 'roidmonkey on even more steroids. I'M THE COLE TRAIN, BITCH!

It's hard to get emotion and anything decent conveyed when everyone's grunting like they've got a bus stuck up their backside.

I see your point. But I do think that they actually managed to pull of emotion in the voices, in Gears 3 anyway. I've mentioned this on another thread, but this scene is bloody sad!

However the gruff "space marine" stereotype does seem to work better in Bulletstorm when it's done for the lulz :D

This game series in question really is dull and terrible and unplayable.
So it delights me to laugh and laugh to this review because it is the only thing this series ever gave me.

By the by, I did play the first two games' champaign mode all the way through co-op so I know how awful it really is. I am not friends with the guy who made me do it so no worries about having to plod through this one, thanks Yahtzee for taking the bullet to bring us this.

So Painkiller - a game about killing a bunch of dudes - is the unquestioned gold standard of combat shooter games despite the story being so terrible and unwatchable, (I bought the game twice, BTW, once after I lost my first copy, so I am doubly justified here), but GoW3 - a game about killing a bunch of dudes - is not a good game because the story isn't perfect, in spite of having more ways to have fun than the latter?

I don't get this.

Yahtzee is a very sharp and articulate reviewer, but this video today feels like a giant blue balling or outright bitterness. Aside from thick-neck refridgerator armor marine, I didn't laugh once. I suspect it has to do with his Warhammer 40k article, and the caricature of a game "Space Marine" that he played while playing GoW3 in preparation for this article. He didn't once mention the game play experience or his feelings on the new weapons and game modes, but just focused in on the story like that was more important than having fun (the primary objective of videogaming - I'm in the Jim Sterling camp on this point).

Rushed and overfocused are the words that shoot to mind for this video. It's just an ADHD prone mess.

Yahtzee if you're that short for time between game reviews, perhaps you should renegotiate your contract?

Here are my feelings on GoW3. Pros and Cons.

Pros:
1) The controls are the tightest and most tactile of the series, yet. That delay added to the chainsaw bayonet makes melee encounters more risky and rewarding.

2) You are given tons of new and different weapons, super weapons, explosives, and vehicles throughout 10 hours of different battle scenarios to fight through.

3) The player is given more opportunities to leave cover (the very game element Yahtzee denounced) thanks to additional weapons like the smoke cover grenade, digger mine, sawed-off shotgun, cleaver, silver back mech, and retro lancer (Yahtzee did you even try pitchforking an enemy? Once? It's so damn satisfying, just hold melee to break into a dash!), adding to more game play variety.

4)Well paced story breaks sprinkled throughout to give the player time to breath, relax, and decompress - or what did Yahtzee call it during his Call of Duty: Black Ops review? Juxtaposition? - wasn't that important once upon a time? Why isn't it important this time?

5)Boss Fights. The thing we didn't get much of in 2 or 1. There was one for every Act ('cept 3), with some satisfying mini-bosses here and there.

Cons:
1) Battles can become clusterfuck nightmares of poor design planning several times throughout the entire game. A few frustrating parts where preparation and planning won't help and running away feels like the only course of action.

2) Sidetracking the story to kill off a major character for 4-5 chapters, just to grab the item of interest at the destination they could have headed to directly. Also not allowing Marcus to express any depth of character, and outsourcing that job to Dom, Cole, and Anya.

3) Not enough locust. Fighting them felt like I was opposing a faction with a stake in the game. The Lambent were mindless waves with no personality.

4)Too much plodding along with no battle - such as the loooooooong hikes through quiet areas which would have made good battle grounds, then also making cover unnecessary when the entire enemy force is melee-crowd-mobs (hello Mercy in Act III).

5)Listen, Cliffy B, I'm sure you hand in doing this, but Gary Jules' song came out 10 years ago, and was already married to Donny Darko. Find your own damn song or make an original for your story world... (remembers Ice T's Run DMC aping cover)... NEVERMIND!!! LICENSE THAT OUT TO SOMEONE ELSE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

6)The centipedes. What the mother-loving-fuck??!! I would have over looked yahtzee's entire video's shortcomings if he had brought this up. Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry for ranting like this. I've never been more disappointed in Yahtzee so I had to speak my mind and I probably won't do this again. For most of the time he's a thoughtful and well spoken critic. This video seemed like he was phoning it in. I just want to hold him to a higher (and consistent) standard.

TL;DR: As a consumer of his opinion I wanted to exercise some criticism. Thank you.

The earth isn't exploding, so don't actually worry about that, those tempted on getting the game. I'm pretty sure he was just saying that because it's an apocalypse game. If the world blowing up were actually a plot device for Gears 3, I'd be severely ashamed for enjoying it. Plot or not (the second one is better in almost every way), the gameplay is the most fluid in the series. You may have a thing against super buff steroid refrigerator men, but I have a hard time thinking of more than a hand full of shooters that play as well as Gears 3 does. Very visceral, impactful shooting.

sravankb:
1. The planet's gonna "explode". Don't know where he got that from.

2. "Were the lambent introduced in the earlier games?" Yes, all the way back in Gears 1.

3. "Was Anya there in the games before this one?" Again, back in GoW1.

Yup, he's definitely qualified to criticize the story aspect of the game (of all the fucking things to talk about in a Gears game).

Mind you, I did like Yahtzee's earlier reviews, where he actually knew what he's talking about, but his constant negativity is just getting stale at this point. His act of not liking anything is just plain boring now.

And yes, it is an act. Let's face that fact. No one who complains about games to this extent can also say that he likes them as an art form.

That right there is your problem, and I didn't wanna reply to you, but after three separate posts, I thought I might as well.

I think I can be pretty confident in my assumption that you, having played the first two Gears of War games, and having spent some of your time defending this one, that you are a fan of the series. Yet, you liked Yahtzee's old reviews. Now, Yahtzee hasn't changed his style, or the content of his jokes since then, so what could it be that is suddenly rubbing you the wrong way? Could it be that Yahtzee is now pissing on a game that you like?

It's a bit immature to stop liking something as soon as the joke touches on something you like. You're like the people who are fine with racist and homophobic jokes, but when it comes to sexist jokes, it's completely different, because now it relates to you.

warrenEBB:
first Zero Punc I've disagreed with.

Gears has a story and it has nuance. but it's hard to notice it between all the explosions and screaming.

You can say the story was badly delivered (and then delve into a critique of why/how the devs failed).

but it's pretty lame to admit you just weren't paying attention and couldn't follow the story (or remember names).

and it's even worse to claim there is no story (or characters).
ugh.

You have to remember, he does this for money. He nitpicks every little detail and bashes any game. Only two games did he not bash (Silent Hill 2 and Portal) that I can remember. This is just what Yahtzee does. Don't take it too seriously.

OT:

As I had just completed it, I found it to be a step in the right direction. The Controls were amazing, much more tuned than previous entries, and the story was a lot better. My only gripes are: Why do I suck so much at MP, Why can't Marcus Fenix show any emotion other than anger, and why did I or didn't I stick to the wall?

Wait. I am a Gearhead over here, but I am not the least bit offended by this.

Also when did Yahtzee start reviewing games?

Yeah, i liked yahzee's reviews, even on some of my favorite games he's torn apart.

But him not liking it because there are plot holes is just silly.

That's like someone not liking Return of the Jedi because they don't understand it because it's the first Star Wars they've ever watched. Of course you won't get it.

No where in the game is there anything about the planet exploding.

Yes, brown is just horrible, but everyone here likes Fallout. Well, wait...

And all Marcus does is be angry, but God of War is awesome.

Gears' gameplay hasn't changed (it has had a lot of polish to it, by the way) But New Vegas, which is exactly like fallout 3, is awesome.

Escapist community is incredibly hypocritical at times.

*Sigh* The characters are all massively important if you read the books.

ItsAChiaotzu:

sravankb:
1. The planet's gonna "explode". Don't know where he got that from.

2. "Were the lambent introduced in the earlier games?" Yes, all the way back in Gears 1.

3. "Was Anya there in the games before this one?" Again, back in GoW1.

Yup, he's definitely qualified to criticize the story aspect of the game (of all the fucking things to talk about in a Gears game).

Mind you, I did like Yahtzee's earlier reviews, where he actually knew what he's talking about, but his constant negativity is just getting stale at this point. His act of not liking anything is just plain boring now.

And yes, it is an act. Let's face that fact. No one who complains about games to this extent can also say that he likes them as an art form.

That right there is your problem, and I didn't wanna reply to you, but after three separate posts, I thought I might as well.

I think I can be pretty confident in my assumption that you, having played the first two Gears of War games, and having spent some of your time defending this one, that you are a fan of the series. Yet, you liked Yahtzee's old reviews. Now, Yahtzee hasn't changed his style, or the content of his jokes since then, so what could it be that is suddenly rubbing you the wrong way? Could it be that Yahtzee is now pissing on a game that you like?

It's a bit immature to stop liking something as soon as the joke touches on something you like. You're like the people who are fine with racist and homophobic jokes, but when it comes to sexist jokes, it's completely different, because now it relates to you.

Good job with the assumptions there. He frickin' hated Silent Hill: Origins, but I loved both the game and his review. I do agree with the points he made about it back then. You know why? Because he knew what he was talking about.

Like I said in my post, there's several things he doesn't know about the series, and yet rambles on and on about the story, which is not the bloody point of the game anyways.

And again, FFS, stop assuming that you know me. Fairly judgmental nonsense you've typed there.

Fanboys out in droves yet? *Glances* well I see at least one...

Finally someone who feels the same way as me. I've played every Gears of War game from beginning to end, some more than once, and 3 is by far the worst one. It's boring, repetitive, very gray and horribly predictable. It takes itself far too seriously and adds almost nothing new. I had to push myself to finish it.

The Gears series does what it set out to do, nothing more nothing less. Combat in the game is VISCERAL and that pretty much guarantees me buying it as its all I care about due being a hopeless, idiotic and inferior console gamer(or as my ventures into the internet seem to conclude)

Something about loud guns/swords which either a kick like a mule or a hit like a train just clicks in my mind as fun. Floaty, fairy shooters like CoD have no place in my heart as the combat has no weight at all.

Yahtzee's reviews used to piss me off if they were about games I like but now I just deal with it and play games that I have fun playing, because thats all that matters to me.

i found it fun and that's enough as long as you guys don't go fanboy or anti fanboy everything should be fine

Lordofthesuplex:
Granted there are some FPSs with good storylines like Bioshock for example but c'mon, Gears of War is full of big muscle-bound guys tearing monsters apart with chainsaw guns. I really do not expect that quality of plot from a game like that. Besides, you can have the greatest story for a game in the world and yet if the gameplay falls flat, it'll be wasted potential.

Except that for a lot of the time it isn't about guys ripping up monsters. I remember (one of the few things I do remember about it) that in Gears 1 and 2 I was constantly having the control tugged away from me to advance some plot point that could've been done in game. And no, not by reducing my ridiculously slow speed even further so Marcus can chat.

Plot comes way after gameplay in terms of importance. But story doesn't. Just like a film tells a story through moving pictures, or a song tells a story through music, a game tells its story through its gameplay. If it doesn't tell a story, or tell an interesting one at least, then that is a bad game.

JSRT:
Well it's a good thing that there is far more to the gameplay than "duck". I love how people who often complain that games are not realistic enough these days (lol, games) are opposed to a cover system. I mean i've never been in a shootout in real life but if i ever were i am pretty sure that i would take cover behind something as opposed to bunny hopping around the battlefield. The is a good way to avoid being shot. Cover system is part of Gears of War's gameplay why would they change it? If you see the cover mechanic in Gears as a "problem" maybe you shoud be playing a game that isn't a cover shooter, eh?

I... don't know how you concluded that I wanted realism. I hate realism. Watch some of those YouTube videos of actual soldiers engaged in actual firefights: war realism is a frightening and horrible thing, and doesn't translate well into "entertainment" unless you have some kind of Deer Hunter-esque detatchment from reality.

And that's what I'm getting at. The cover system is boring. I feel like I'm playing Resident Evil where I have to root myself into the ground to fight properly. When I'm deliberately trying to ignore the game mechanic in order to do something fun and heroic - like leaping over cover and charging a cluster of enemies to saw their leader in half in a gory display of psychotic berserker glory - then the game has done something WRONG. I shouldn't be getting punished for trying to enjoy myself, but Gears of War is above that sort of thing, isn't it? They literally kill two random characters just to hammer the point home that you're not allowed to think outside the box.

And I do play games that aren't cover shooters. Resistance 3, Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine, they've pulled me in. It even gets me chuckling when I think that Space Marine is short because it's Gears of War without the cover system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here