Trailers: Blackwater - Trailer

Blackwater - Trailer

Fingergun takes on a whole new definition with a Kinect FPS.

Watch Video

Well that certainly looks interesting... if I could be bothered to buy a Kinect. I still view it as not worth the money.

Wow, after the legal troubble and renaming the company in XE, they must really need the money.

It looks kinda cool but i doubt the grenade part would work if you get out the range that much. Cool if you take cover by hiding behind something.

Really? They're gonna pretend that gameplay would be anything like that? Also, @esperandote, I very much doubt that that is the case.

Ten bucks this title is dropped after people realize it's glorifying a group that actively recruited soldiers who believed in the extermination of Islam and other non-christian religions.

Seriously, how did this get out of the pre-production stage without a quick Google search saying what a incredibly bad idea it was?

So the PMC that generally gets hired to do VIP protection is making a video game that makes their job look "way cooler" than it actually is?

I will make this statement now in the hopes that I am wrong.

That game will either play itself, or recognise a 10th of what you are doing and with only 40% accuracy.

I have a kinect and in the rare instance I play it, I.e the gunstringer demo, it barely works with any degree of accuracy, but the game is so easy to compensate for all the horrible innaccuracy of the unit.

Color me impressed if the game plays anything like that video, because otherwise it is going to flop hard to the core.

Wow this game looks horrible. Go away Kinect games. GAT OUTTA HERE. GIT! Im pretty sure everyone knows this is blackwater's attempt to win over the hearts and minds of young kids and teens, and everybody seems to be cool with that.

Is the Kinect really able to accurate detect when you squeeze your finger for the trigger of a gun? Even if it could, I doubt it'd be able to pick up anything with your other hand hovering directly in front of it. If this is how they expect you to play Blackwater, and it works, I will eat my running shoes.

you people dumb? im sure this game is made by black water just as much as SOCOM is made by the navy seals.

on topic, im sure playing as black water would be all sorts of fun, is there a mission mode were you shoot anyone that gets in your way, and only stop if the reporters show up?

OH! they could do a convoy mission were you use the suvs to push traffic out of the way, and gun people down that you think might be fallowing you.

I love blackwater

FogHornG36:
you people dumb? im sure this game is made by black water just as much as SOCOM is made by the navy seals.

on topic, im sure playing as black water would be all sorts of fun, is there a mission mode were you shoot anyone that gets in your way, and only stop if the reporters show up?

OH! they could do a convoy mission were you use the suvs to push traffic out of the way, and gun people down that you think might be fallowing you.

I love blackwater

I think they only stop if embedded reporters show up.

If unembedded reporters show up, they shoot them too.

http://www.cpj.org/killed/mideast/iraq/

http://cpj.org/reports/2008/07/journalists-killed-in-iraq.php

CNN: Blackwater founder Erik Prince enters video game business

Erik Prince, the founder of a controversial, real-world military group, is stepping into the virtual war zone with a new first-person shooter, "Blackwater."

Designed exclusively for Microsoft's Kinect for Xbox 360, "Blackwater" was developed by Zombie Studios and overseen by Prince, a former Navy SEAL.

"Overseen by" may pretty much mean he got to wander around glancing over people's shoulders.

Continuing:

Featuring licensed real-world weapons, the game can be played with a traditional controller. But it has been crafted to take advantage of Kinect's motion controls. Gamers will be able to aim, crouch, and interact with the on-screen action using only body gestures and moves to take out enemies through a series of action-packed missions.

It doesn't say you hide behind real furniture or that you don't need a controller with fire buttons. I suspect it just recognises crouch for crouch and raise hands for aim and maybe a few floor positions for movement in and out of lateral cover and so on.

ThinkProgress: Coming Soon: Blackwater The Video Game, Developed With Oversight From Founder Erik Prince (UPDATED)

In 2009, the world's largest mercenary army Blackwater changed its name to Xe in a bid to rehabilitate its public image. Now, the latest entry to rehabilitate Blackwater's image comes in an unlikely form: a first-person shooter video game. Blackwater founder Erik Prince has teamed up with Zombie Studios - the developers of Blacklight: Tango Down, which scored at an abysmal 60.24 percent on video game review aggregator Gamerankings.com - to develop an Xbox 360 Kinect game called Blackwater where players can be a Blackwater mercenary in the midst of a civil war in a North African town.

With the Kinect accessory to the Xbox 360, players use their full bodies in front of a motion-detecting camera to control the game. Because the game is Kinect-exclusive, that means that the only way players will be able to take part in the experience is to physically behave as if they are Xe mercenaries - they can't just hold controllers.

Well, that's not what CNN said. The dates in the URLs are pretty similar.

The update bit:

The post had originally incorrectly stated that Prince remained the CEO of Xe. He sold Xe off in December 2010 but has retained the right to use the Blackwater brand. Xe is not affiliated with the game.

WIRED: Real-Life Mercenaries to Star in Blackwater, the Videogame

Blackwater Worldwide, the real-life mercenary team linked to the killing of civilians and noncombatants in Iraq during U.S. operations there, will be the subject of a Kinect-supported videogame coming to the Xbox 360 later this year.

The game was developed in conjunction with former Blackwater members "to ensure accuracy of moves, gestures and gameplay," the 505 release said.

The game may also be played using a standard controller.

See Also:

Blackwater CEO Cuts and Runs
Blackwater CEO Lights Pants on Fire in WSJ Op-Ed
Will Blackwater Go Vegan After Sale to Hippie Firm?
Blackwater's New Ethics Chief: John Ashcroft
Blackwater Takes Our Advice, Adopts Inscrutable, Opaque Name

Lt Col Tim Spicer is investigating the incident

The video, which first appeared on a website that has been linked unofficially to Aegis Defence Services, contained four separate clips, in which security guards open fire with automatic rifles at civilian cars. All of the shooting incidents apparently took place on "route Irish", a road that links the airport to Baghdad.The road has acquired the dubious distinction of being the most dangerous in the world because of the number of suicide attacks and ambushes carried out by insurgents against coalition troops. In one four-month period earlier this year it was the scene of 150 attacks.In one of the videoed attacks, a Mercedes is fired on at a distance of several hundred yards before it crashes in to a civilian taxi. In the last clip, a white civilian car is raked with machine gun fire as it approaches an unidentified security company vehicle. Bullets can be seen hitting the vehicle before it comes to a slow stop.There are no clues as to the shooter but either a Scottish or Irish accent can be heard in at least one of the clips above Elvis Presley's Mystery Train, the music which accompanies the video.

Theres the right way and wrong way of course, those muppets from Zapata engineering are a clear cut case. They made life that bit more difficult for all of us after they drove around Fallujah having a go at anything that moved...Just watched the Movie clip, jesus it must be bad if all Cars that advance towards you at speed get the hell shot out of it, is it generally known to stay back from PSD Teams ?? a certain distance ? by the Local populace! Not that I suppose it matters, being that your's and the client's safety come first. but how many cars have been shot up where a husband has been trying to get his wife to the Hospital ?? in the process of dropping a sprog. Like I say to be honest I recon i would be popping off a few rounds in order to get through the run of that day. What an existance to be in. A coward getting away with murder..or thinking he is !!!!! The whole team is guilty of murder and by stupidly airing this piece of rubbish they will be prosecuted eventually. Aegis should be kicked out of Iraq whole scale for employing these muppets and murderers. This will effect us all eventually. I'd like a few minutes alone with this cowboy to see if he is as brave as he thinks he is.

Respectively that footage is the most damning footage of trigger happy body count hunters that i have witnessed, it has done nothing but show the copmpany and the lads it employs in a bad light, and if i was looking to employ a company that would certainly ensure that aegis didn't get the contractThe footage of the rear gunner is quite simply a disgrace, myself nor a single person I have spoken to agree's with the actions carried out. I would like to say that if that guy was in team I was with then he would definately get the beating of his life from not just his team but all the other teams, however I can not say that as the fuck wit would not make it anywhere near the important role as rear gunner. who on earth is keeping an eye on this guy, he should have been booted in to touch after the first one and to let him carry on waxing the fuck out of who he feels like is disgusting.

Aegis, not Blackwater, but I'm sure it wasn't the only time it happened.

Maybe they'll retcon some of that in. The video got a lot of views, so people must think it'd be fun, right? Hey, they could retcon Mahmoudiya into it as well as a low-level boss-fight. They'd just need to say the girl was carrying intel or something. Once upon a time, a man who knew about that incident said some people would rather convince themselves she was a terrorist than believe US soldiers could have done something like that ... and a woman who'd never heard about it immediately convinced herself the girl was a terrorist. Anything dead that isn't in a US uniform is VC, right?

Game? oh, I was too distracted by the guitars just lying everywhere.

... But that game just looks too responsive to be real.

Riiiight, cause that really what game is really going to play like. Lots of games advertise with people pretending to play the game but they could at least try to make some of it a little believable.

So much for not giving them the oxygen of publicity then....

Alluos:
But that game just looks too responsive to be real.

DementedSheep:
Riiiight, cause that really what game is really going to play like. Lots of games advertise with people pretending to play the game but they could at least try to make some of it a little believable.

I think they're deliberately being obviously unrealistic so nobody can sue them for not living up to it.

ph0b0s123:
So much for not giving them the oxygen of publicity then....

Well, as long as nobody gives them the carbohydrates of sales, eh?

I think the closest you can get is the PMC campaign for ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead. But this? No way anyone actually involved in Blackwater operations ever touched it.

And que the moral outrage that a kinect game is teaching our kids to be mercs.

To sidestep the controversy and kincet hate, it seems to me that judgeing from the actually game play (assuming it actually represents the real game) appears to be a graphically unimpressive shoot-athon arcade lightgun shooter (I didn't see any movement control).

The use of Kinect in this game makes no sense, the target audience of a game like blackwater is not going to be kinect owners. (And to return to the controversy, the only reseason to do this is to appeal to the young casual gamer market.)

Oh, Kinect.
You will never, ever be relevant.

Actually picked up a copy and was browsing finding what people are saying about it and even though it got a lot of hate i really like it. The kinect makes it much more fun and the gameplay is pretty damn fun, way better than i thought it would be.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)