The Escapist Presents: Diablo 3: Introducing Quests & Classes Part Two

Diablo 3: Introducing Quests & Classes Part Two

We take a look at the barbarian and monk as they plumb the depths of the old cathedral.

Watch Video

Thanks for these videos, they're very well done and it's nice to see the classes in some more detail. I'm looking forward to the next set.

Between the Blizzard unveils and these I still haven't seen something that's really caught my interest, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the first two. I'm hoping there's some ability set or something that finally gives me a reason to perk up.

I'll comment along my thought processes as I watch the video, so pardon if it's a bit "bulletpointy".

What? The Barbarian is the canonical character from D2? Meh... never been one of my favorites.

Adria is pretty clearly the same Adria from D1. That said, while she was a witch, she aided the hero in his quest to destroy Diablo. I suppose she might've employed dark magic to that end, but demons? Hm. Dunno if I'd buy that.

Yeah, the monk sounds like a mixture of Paladin and Assassin from D2, I suppose.

Yes, that hero of the guard was Lachdanan, if I remember correctly. One of my favorite support characters from the game, despite his short appearance. Talking to a Black Knight monster, saving his soul and getting his helmet later is just awesome.

What? I utterly destroyed Leoric with Holy Bolts! This is bullcrap! How could he be back... again?!

I still think it's pretty awesome that they apparently got the same voice actor for the third installment for Cain. Man, this character must be around a 150 years by now.

Steal his crown to get rid of him? I already stole his crown in D1! Hm. I wonder where it ended up after the game.

Skeleon:
I'll comment along my thought processes as I watch the video, so pardon if it's a bit "bulletpointy".

What? The Barbarian is the canonical character from D2? Meh... never been one of my favorites.

Adria is pretty clearly the same Adria from D1. That said, while she was a witch, she aided the hero in his quest to destroy Diablo. I suppose she might've employed dark magic to that end, but demons? Hm. Dunno if I'd buy that.

Yeah, the monk sounds like a mixture of Paladin and Assassin from D2, I suppose.

Yes, that hero of the guard was Lachdanan, if I remember correctly. One of my favorite support characters from the game, despite his short appearance. Talking to a Black Knight monster, saving his soul and getting his helmet later is just awesome.

What? I utterly destroyed Leoric with Holy Bolts! This is bullcrap! How could he be back... again?!

I still think it's pretty awesome that they apparently got the same voice actor for the third installment for Cain. Man, this character must be around a 150 years by now.

Steal his crown to get rid of him? I already stole his crown in D1! Hm. I wonder where it ended up after the game.

Just to clear up some of the lore mess, because, well, yeah. Unless you don't want to hear it, then don't read further through this x)
Leah is the daughter of Adria and "Aiden" who is almost totally implied to be the hero of the first game, aka, the Dark Wanderer from the second game, so her dealings with demons are largely unintentional. What everyone is guessing at is Leah's vessel-like purposes for Diablo himself in the third game as she is the odd-ball daughter of a witch and the guy who got possessed by the Lord o' Terrorororo.

What brought Leoric back is the power of the FHALLUEN STAWUUHHHR. It's kind of corny, but whatever. I mean, large source of power plus cursed dead king never sounds like they'll just pass by each other with a "G'day oh force of great evil, say hi to the kids for me", y'know?

What may sadden you is Leoric is no longer voiced by Chris Metzen, which made me sad, because, well, he voices just about EVERYTHING EVER. (For Blizzard, seeing he's, well, DO EVERYTHING EVER, too)
Oh, and assuming you took his crown in the first game, and you from the first game is the bad guy, WELL. XP

The only reason the Barb is the canon is due to the epic conclusion having shaken the Barbarian homeland the most, because Mt. Arreat is supposedly totally annihilated and there's a big crater there instead, meaning their whole lifestyle and duty (as certain tribes were the literal guardians of the world stone and the sacred mount) is a bit shattered.

Alright, sorry, I love talking about this game a little too much. :P

Ferisar:
What everyone is guessing at is Leah's vessel-like purposes for Diablo himself in the third game as she is the odd-ball daughter of a witch and the guy who got possessed by the Lord o' Terrorororo.

Well, that's unfortunate... since we need a boss battle... and I doubt we'll get a boss battle with the titular Diablo without him having a vessel (at least that's the way it's been in the last two games, first with Prince Albrecht, then with the warrior from D1). Unless during the story you somehow save her and Diablo uses a different vessel, of course.

What brought Leoric back is the power of the FHALLUEN STAWUUHHHR. It's kind of corny, but whatever. I mean, large source of power plus cursed dead king never sounds like they'll just pass by each other with a "G'day oh force of great evil, say hi to the kids for me", y'know?

Pff. Still seems stupid. The whole "he can't be destroyed unless the crown is dealt with"-thing is clearly a retcon. They brought him back more for brand recognition than because it makes sense. And apart from the initial story, he wasn't even that important. I mean, you killed him on level 3. Sure, he is relevant for the backstory, but for the games he really didn't matter.

Oh, and assuming you took his crown in the first game, and you from the first game is the bad guy, WELL. XP

Well, I probably sold it to one of the NPCs in town once I found something clearly better or left it lying in Tristram along with piles of gold and other unique items. What happened later to it is anyone's guess, an NPC could've sold it to a traveller or whatever, a monster could've stolen and hidden it, dunno. They'll probably retcon it into something where the dark wanderer hid it somewhere, though, even though by the time the hero became infested by Diablo, I had already sold several warehouses full of items to the various NPCs in Tristram and they presumably sold or transported this stuff off to somewhere else.

The only reason the Barb is the canon is due to the epic conclusion having shaken the Barbarian homeland the most,...

Hm, I suppose. Still, meh.
I'll be interested to know what happened to the other characters according to canon now, though. You know, like how there were strong indications that the warrior became the dark wanderer, the rogue became Blood Raven and the sorceror became the fake Horazon. Who knows, maybe this time around at least some of the others get to survive...?

Skeleon:

Pff. Still seems stupid. The whole "he can't be destroyed unless the crown is dealt with"-thing is clearly a retcon. They brought him back more for brand recognition than because it makes sense. And apart from the initial story, he wasn't even that important. I mean, you killed him on level 3. Sure, he is relevant for the backstory, but for the games he really didn't matter.

They're already retconning the Warrior/Wanderer to be

, so might as well put Leoric back in too. And hey, undead re-reanimating ain't that big of a stretch.

Mathak:

, so might as well put Leoric back in too.

Say whaaat? You'd think that little factoid would've been mentioned somewhere in D1. The townsfolk would've recognized that. Lachdanan certainly would have, unless this is some sort of "long lost, believed dead"-thing, which begs the question what the point of it would be anyway. Do you have a source for this? Did they give any reasons why? I mean, that's a pretty big thing, creating pretty big plotholes.

And hey, undead re-reanimating ain't that big of a stretch.

Meh. Sure, it's fantasy and magic and you can basically do whatever you want, but I'd be happier with it if it had been established earlier.

You know, like with Diablo himself: We learn during the game that the monster we'll eventually fight is just a form of Diablo, that Diablo himself resides in the soulstone that he was banished into. Then we actually see Prince Albrecht at the end. And we clearly get the scene set up for Diablo's return. Leoric, on the other hand, we just destroyed along the way. The significance of the crown, unlike that of the soulstone, was never mentioned before, none of the journals, none of the conversations with the townsfolk. Because it wasn't significant up until now.

All that said, Diablo was supposed to be dealt with by destroying the soulstone, too. Just like Leoric, his return is this time bound to this meteor or whatever. Not the best plot device in my opinion.

---

By the way: I wonder if we get to see the other two Lesser Evils this time, Azmodan and Belial. It'd be their turn now, I guess.

Skeleon:

Mathak:

, so might as well put Leoric back in too.

Say whaaat? You'd think that little factoid would've been mentioned somewhere in D1. The townsfolk would've recognized that. Lachdanan certainly would have. Do you have a source for this? Did they give any reasons why? I mean, that's a pretty big thing, creating pretty big plotholes.

And hey, undead re-reanimating ain't that big of a stretch.

Meh. Sure, it's fantasy and magic and you can basically do whatever you want, but I'd be happier with it if it had been established earlier.

You know, like with Diablo himself: We learn during the game that the monster we'll eventually fight is just a form of Diablo, that Diablo himself resides in the soulstone that he was banished into. Then we actually see Prince Albrecht at the end. And we clearly get the scene set up for Diablo's return. Leoric, on the other hand, we just destroyed along the way. The significance of the crown, unlike that of the soulstone, was never mentioned before, none of the journals, none of the conversations with the townsfolk. Because it wasn't significant up until now.

All that said, Diablo was supposed to be dealt with by destroying the soulstone, too. Just like Leoric, his return is this time bound to this meteor or whatever. Not the best plot device in my opinion.

---

By the way: I wonder if we get to see the other two Lesser Evils this time, Azmodan and Belial. It'd be their turn now, I guess.

There's some in-game dialogue in Act 1.

But yeah, it's just a full-out retcon.

And as far as I understand the crown isn't needed to destroy Leoric as more as lure him into his physical corpse so he can be destroyed.

Azmodan and Belial'd be nice. They'd have to be pretty powerful to start the whole Dark Exile.

Mathak:
But yeah, it's just a full-out retcon.

Pretty lame. Especially since this rules out the whole "long lost, believed dead"-thing. Clearly, Cain at least knew who he was. And he never said a word.
That said,...

And as far as I understand the crown isn't needed to destroy Leoric as more as lure him into his physical corpse so he can be destroyed.

...this sounds a lot better. Along the lines of, King Leoric was destroyed but his soul never found rest. Now, with this magical meteor thingy, his soul was perhaps "energized". Properly destroying him requires destroying all of his remains, though, which he must first be lured into. Yes, that or something like that I'd like better than simply *pop* Leoric's back as the Skeleton King despite what happened.

Azmodan and Belial'd be nice. They'd have to be pretty powerful to start the whole Dark Exile.

Yes, though they'd probably end up in very diminished roles, like Andariel and Duriel (unless they/one of them is saved up as boss for the inevitable addon, comparable to Baal in LoD). Speaking of which, since Diablo can come back despite his soulstone being destroyed, this obviously also opens the door for his two brothers once again...

Skeleon:

Yes, though they'd probably end up in very diminished roles, like Andariel and Duriel (unless they/one of them is saved up as boss for the inevitable addon, comparable to Baal in LoD). Speaking of which, since Diablo can come back despite his soulstone being destroyed, this obviously also opens the door for his two brothers once again...

I think they canonically still rule half of the Burning Hells each, since Diablo was killed before he could properly start kicking ass down there. But then, since we don't know how Diablo's going to come back he might already have conquered the Burning Hells before D3 proper begins..guess we'll have to wait and see.

And we definately need another Baal cinematic. 'I shall take your position..into consideration. *giggle* Well, it seems your terms are...not acceptable.'

Mathak:
I think they canonically still rule half of the Burning Hells each, since Diablo was killed before he could properly start kicking ass down there. But then, since we don't know how Diablo's going to come back he might already have conquered the Burning Hells before D3 proper begins..guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, but didn't the four Lesser Evils work together to expunge Diablo and his brothers? Why did Andariel and Duriel end up as measely early act bosses despite that, then (and while Andariel got plenty of introduction via the corrupted rogues, quests etc., Duriel just came out of nowhere)? Did they want to go to the world of mortals? Or were they always the weak ones among the four and Azmodan and Belial got rid of them as soon as their usefulness in taking over Hell was at an end?

And we definately need another Baal cinematic. 'I shall take your position..into consideration. *giggle* Well, it seems your terms are...not acceptable.'

I always thought that Baal should've retained more of his Tal'Rasha or fake Tyrael aspect when we finally go after him, so at first I was quite disappointed with the Baal in LoD (especially visually, weird spider-like thing). However, I've since warmed to the character and while I still find that video to be more funny than scary or moody (and thus rather inconsistent with the rest of the videos), I like it. The strange thing is, the way he his toying with the messenger, it really gets across the notion of a guy who's evil to be evil. I never imagined Baal (or any of his brothers) to be like that before then.

The monk sounds like Ezio from Assassin's Creed. The same accent I mean. Are monks the italians of Sanctuary?

Skeleon:

Mathak:

Well, but didn't the four Lesser Evils work together to expunge Diablo and his brothers? Why did Andariel and Duriel end up as measely early act bosses despite that, then (and while Andariel got plenty of introduction via the corrupted rogues, quests etc., Duriel just came out of nowhere)? Did they want to go to the world of mortals? Or were they always the weak ones among the four and Azmodan and Belial got rid of them as soon as their usefulness in taking over Hell was at an end?

In think Belial and Azmodan always were the strongest of the Lesser Evils, since they started the whole revolution thing. After the Dark Exile Belial and Azmodan promptly started a civil war for the total control of the Burning Hells, and they pretty much control 50% each.

I always imagined Duriel and Andariel just went 'oh shi-' when it seemed like the Prime Evils were about to return and got to Sanctuary asap to beg forgiveness and generally be useful to Diablo so they wouldn't get destroyed when the Prime Evils got back into power. I mean, last time the Prime Evils killed one third of the entire population of the Burning Hells..and now that population is divided in 2 camps and weakened by the civil war..they probably didn't fancy their chances for a second go.

Skeleon:

I always thought that Baal should've retained more of his Tal'Rasha or fake Tyrael aspect when we finally go after him, so at first I was quite disappointed with the Baal in LoD (especially visually, weird spider-like thing). However, I've since warmed to the character and while I still find that video to be more funny than scary or moody (and thus rather inconsistent with the rest of the videos), I like it. The strange thing is, the way he his toying with the messenger, it really gets across the notion of a guy who's evil to be evil. I never imagined Baal (or any of his brothers) to be like that before then.

I quite liked the cinematic..it seems to me each of the Prime Evils has this weird personality that contradicts their domain. Diablo is the Lord of Terror. You'd think he'd be subtle, working with nightmares and hallucinations, like Scarecrow, but instead he's just a giant red brute that roars and tries to beat you down. Mephisto is Lord of Hatred, and he gives long theatrical speeches..and Baal is Lord of Destruction, but he giggles and makes jokes.

Mathak:
Andariel and Duriel snip

Ah. Turncoats, going back and forth, basically. Could be. Seeing as they apparently just went along with the revolution, maybe they're just extremely opportunistic but have comparably little power of their own.

I quite liked the cinematic..it seems to me each of the Prime Evils has this weird personality that contradicts their domain. Diablo is the Lord of Terror. You'd think he'd be subtle, working with nightmares and hallucinations, like Scarecrow, but instead he's just a giant red brute that roars and tries to beat you down. Mephisto is Lord of Hatred, and he gives long theatrical speeches..and Baal is Lord of Destruction, but he giggles and makes jokes.

Well, as I said, I like it, too... now. Still, I don't think it really fits. We have seen Baal before LoD. And when he finally kills Marius, he mocks him, sure, but he doesn't come off as this... "Dr. Evil"-ish kind of funny, as he does in LoD. Plus, even then he retained his Tal Rasha face, humanoid body and tentacles (the former two would also make sense simply because Marius wouldn't recognize him otherwise and as part of his mask respectively, the latter doesn't, though).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here