X-Men Destiny Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

X-Men Destiny Review

Being a superhero has never been this boring.

Read Full Article

The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"

I wasn't really on board since the reveal. It looked poor from the very start and the whole idea of being a new mutant just didn't seem very interesting especially when X men already has such a rich cast of varied characters.

Looking at it from far away all I can say is Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks far superior and I only rate that game as alright, good on co-op but mediocre alone.

As for X men games in general, of course there's the arcade game which is balls to the wall fun even if it has no depth whatsoever. There's also the games on Genesis/Mega Drive. X men 2: Clone Wars (or something like that) was a fantastic X men game with a choice of some great characters to play from (Wolverine, Beast, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Psylocke, Gambit and even Magneto) for a 16 bit 2D sidescrolling action game it really captured the feel of each character rather well, playing as Nightcrawler was an utter delight, teleporting behind an enemy and drop kicking him in the back of the head always felt awesome.

Newbies ordering the regular cast around, ug. It's so common too - when a game puts you in a setting with lots of powerful characters (whether it's X-Men or Forgotten Realms) they really need to put you on equal footing, thoroughly explain why you are the protagonist and not them, or simply leave the big guns out of it.

That is, assuming you don't get to play as the popular, powerful characters.

No_Remainders:

That's the proper pronunciation of the X-Men character.

Well, sounds like it's at least better than the NES version. (Yeah, it was that bad.)

The video supplement was pretty helpful and really drives home how little I want this game.

I remember when there was SOOOO much hype behind this.

Too bad, I loves me some Juggernaut.

Well if you got any naughty children or a sibling / friend you really don't like this is the perfect gift :D

Silicon Knights, proving how washed up they are since Too Human

Susan Arendt:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

Actually, Susan, several of your statements are flat out false. There is a difference between Psylocke's psi damage and Gambits kinetic damage- Psylock's powers confuse enemies, causing them to attack each other, while Gambit's powers set up chain explosions. Northstar's powers stun people, and Wolverine's are pure damage.

Emma Frost has the best defensive ability in the game. Utility powers do more than increase movement speed, they also increase the amount of energy and energy regeneration you have. Emma Frost also has the second best utility in the game, giving two bars of energy and faster regen, and Magneto has the best.

Also, stating that you always do the same missions either way is a flat out lie.

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi/Shadow Matter I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- X-gene drops rely far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.

RelexCryo:

Susan Arendt:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

Actually, Susan, several of your statements are flat out false. There is a difference between Psylocke's psi damage and Gambits kinetic damage- Psylock's powers confuse enemies, causing them to attack each other, while Gambit's powers set up chain explosions. Northstar's powers stun people, and Wolverine's are pure damage.

Emma Frost has the best defensive ability in the game. Utility powers do more than increase movement speed, they also increase the amount of energy and energy regeneration you have. Emma Frost also has the second best utility in the game, giving two bars of energy and faster regen, and Magneto has the best.

Also, stating that you always do the same missions either way is a flat out lie.

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- it relies far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.

If you didn't have problems with the camera, that's great, but I did, very much so. And while you're correct that higher levels of genes have different effects, it has little bearing on gameplay because you simply don't have to be strategic at all with your attacks. You can quite literally get through the entire game just by spamming the same basic move over and over again. And you're correct, not all of the Utilities make you run fast - that's an exaggeration for dramatic effect - several of them do. Does it really matter if you're running faster because of Gambit or Avalanche or Northstar? To me, it doesn't. It makes what should be an interesting and fun mechanic and makes it just so much window dressing.

If you enjoyed the game, then that's great. I'm pleased you found things to like about it. But that is very much not the experience that I had. I found the moral choices to be utterly toothless and meaningless, given how the story develops, the player characters were terribly written and made no sense, and there were technical issues galore.

No_Remainders:

The name of Professor X is pronounced 'Ex-avier'.

It's true the name Xavier (Javier) is usually pronounced with a 'sh' sound, not pronouncing the X, but that doesn't mean this particular person have his name pronounced that way.

Susan Arendt:
If I'm idly wondering what's new on Netflix

Dozens of episodes of How it's Made would be the answer to that thought. :D

Susan Arendt:

RelexCryo:

Susan Arendt:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- it relies far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.

If you didn't have problems with the camera, that's great, but I did, very much so. And while you're correct that higher levels of genes have different effects, it has little bearing on gameplay because you simply don't have to be strategic at all with your attacks. You can quite literally get through the entire game just by spamming the same basic move over and over again. And you're correct, not all of the Utilities make you run fast - that's an exaggeration for dramatic effect - several of them do. Does it really matter if you're running faster because of Gambit or Avalanche or Northstar? To me, it doesn't. It makes what should be an interesting and fun mechanic and makes it just so much window dressing.

If you enjoyed the game, then that's great. I'm pleased you found things to like about it. But that is very much not the experience that I had. I found the moral choices to be utterly toothless and meaningless, given how the story develops, the player characters were terribly written and made no sense, and there were technical issues galore.

The points you listed in this post are good, what annoyed me was that you were making points in your review that did not make sense- such as saying that can boss around Colossus or that the powers have no difference at all. I felt compelled to comment simply because of that.

RelexCryo:

Susan Arendt:

RelexCryo:

The points you listed in this post are good, what annoyed me was that you were making points in your review that did not make sense- such as saying that can boss around Colossus or that the powers have no difference at all. I felt compelled to comment simply because of that.

I think it's great that you spoke up. I really am very happy that you enjoyed the game - I wish I could've, too.

They should just make another X-Men Legends game. The first one was awesome and I played it to death. While I never finished the second one (Got about halfway before loaning it to an unreliable friend), what I had played of it was pretty good too.

Susan Arendt:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

i kinda agree with you

the gene's, aren't really as described but that's been addressed, sorta, as an expansion to that, I'd like to point out there are some game breaking combos that make an already easy game easier.

not gonna comment on the x-mode thing, cause only the emma frost one was actually worth using.

but yeah :/ it was kinda of a let down, i was hoping for something more like infamous in the x-men universe, with character customisation, instead ... this .... :/ and given i just lost my job this week this is the last game i got to T-T

Right! This one is bad. I didn't think it would be that bad but it is what it is...It's too bad there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance.

Say, when it's time to review Spider-Man: Edge of Time, could there be a secondary review or, second look for that one of the 3DS version? It's been next to impossible to find images or, gameplay footage of the 3DS version of that one other than shaky-cam footage on youtube of random people playing it...2 random people as of yesterday.

Wow, this sounds really dull. And with that great setting! They apparently try to work with the whole persecution-issue that X-Men was largely based around, but seem to really phone it in. Plus, with the countless mutants around, I'd really expect them to let you create your own character and "design" your own personal mutant powers (maybe by choosing from different types of powers, both established and new, and then letting you add additional effects such as damage over time, life leech etc. to it, plus visual effects such as colour - differently coloured lightning, for instance - sparks, smoke or whatever else to let you get as personal a mutant power as possible). At least that's what I would do. Instead you get three characters to choose from. Yawn. Although I suppose the system of adding new powers is a very good idea - also implemented poorly.

Now I'm deppressed. :( From my glipses in the trailers it LOOKED like it coulda been fun. I was really looking forward to it. But this...this..... Whyyyyy. :(

I had really high hopes for this game, but reminds me too much of Ultimate Alliance 2.
Which I did not enjoy.

Shoggoth2588:
Right! This one is bad. I didn't think it would be that bad but it is what it is...It's too bad there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance.

Say, when it's time to review Spider-Man: Edge of Time, could there be a secondary review or, second look for that one of the 3DS version? It's been next to impossible to find images or, gameplay footage of the 3DS version of that one other than shaky-cam footage on youtube of random people playing it...2 random people as of yesterday.

You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.

Susan Arendt:
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.

Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?

I rented "X-Men Destiny" last night.... exchanged it 2 hours later for "Spider-Man: Edge of Time" and was VERY happy. Kinda off...X-Men have acrap game out and Spider-Man has a great one out.

Who woulda thunk?

Zachary Amaranth:

Susan Arendt:

Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?

I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.

Susan Arendt:
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.

Well, that's your problem right there. Chickens won't work, you need black-feathered roosters.

Developer: Silicon Knights

How the mighty have fallen! D:

You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!

No_Remainders:

That is how you pronounce his name.

One of the things that got me most about this review is the incredibly weak writing that obviously drives the game. How can I know that? because the main cahracters are getting bossed around by a newbie, simply because whoever was writing this shit could think of no other way of putting the player character in a position of palpable importance. Seeing the new character written in to a story in a way that makes them more powerful than the veterans of the universe is the kind of irredeemable pothole that even fanfic writers are held to account for, simply because it's an ass-backwards way of writing a story that has the unfortunate side-effect of making dramatic tension nigh-impossible.

If you're going to pretend that you have writing ability, write the new characters into the story in a way that not only makes sense (i.e. give their lack of experience when compared to the others some kind of consequence within the plot and their interactions) but is also compelling (i.e. make sure that their interactions are not just token lines that exist for the sole purpose of advancing the plot - the lines should not feel like they're there simply because they have to be).

If you're developing a game that involves making the player character the most powerful thing around both canonically and within the actual gameplay mechanics simply because you can't figure out any other way to make the player character the driving force of a game, then you need to look for someone who can write a bloody story.

It also has the unfortunate side-effect of making the player feel as though they themselves are a Deus Ex Machina, something that doens't really occupy the traditional role of the protagonist, but something that would seem as though it had been pulled out of the writer's ass when the narrative is viewed from the perspective of another character, a mere device that exists to fullfill the need for a quick plot fix.

That's the sad, inherent contradiction in this type of weak storytelling - the only way the witers/developers can make the player feel like a driving force within the game is to make the plot revolve around them in a way that completely ruins all sense of dramatic tension, and thus makes the plot completely unworthy of attention. The only way you can redeem this in a game is with excellent atmosphere or gameplay, but thanks to Susan's review, well know how well that worked out...

Oh, good review by the way. I seldom hear this kind of entertaining criticism from other, more mainstream sources.

Xenominim:
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!

LOL

Still, sad to hear this... It could've been a great game. Maybe the publisher and or Marvel set an unrealistic timeline and even if the developers hadn't reached their goals, it was decided it was 'good enough' and shipped it?

The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .

And to think Silicon Knights actually made legacy of kain, a game that will always have a place in my heart.

I wish they would just let us make a new character with complete customization like the sims, and let us choose the core powers and level up with a talent tree or something.

At the moment the game is just plain bad, too cartoonish, too shallow. It really made me wonder what was their target audience. There are mature guys that grew up with comic books too. Can't they make something for us? something darker, more poetic and more mature?

Movie Bob would be piss at this game.

This is disappointing. I was actually hoping for a somewhat deep game with a branching storyline and strong RPG elements. Ah, well.

I gotta say that I love the video supplements. Often times I just watch those. If the game doesn't look even a little interesting, I won't bother actually reading the review. This is one of those times. I think we had games on the last console generation, and even the one before, that looked more engaging and polished.

Susan Arendt:

Zachary Amaranth:

Susan Arendt:

First, wow, I can't believe that Nintendo is so controlling. You have to bolt the device down? That's psycho girlfriend levels of crazy.

I do believe that you need the help of Billy Witchdoctor. Just don't let him summon Mega Ultra Chicken. That would be a heck of a mess.

My first guess was a star and a half, and I was right. After all that anticipation many months ago, I was hoping this game would fun. That is until every reviewer I've seen so far stated that this game is a big fat lie.

What the hell, Activision and Silicon Knights? Why must you make this game so bad? Especially for $59.99, I would feel ripped off and would want to play X-Men Origins: Wolverine again. At least I had fun slicing enemies as Wolverine.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here