Escape to the Movies: Real Steel

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Real Steel

Rock 'em, sock 'em.

Watch Video

YES. Good to hear that this was better then I thought it would be.

So pissed I didn't get to see this movie last night...

"I'm tired and have to drive two hours after work (at 5) tomorrow." Is the worst excuse not to see it. Meh... What a letdown...

Glad I wouldn't have been disappointed. Now to try and wrangle a friend up to go see it today...

Yeah, Bob really likes Real Steel and Thor... but not Red State?

Only cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit for Bob, eh? I guess I'll never see eye to eye with you Bob, but it's okay. I'll still check ya out if you review something other than mainstreamed crap.

I really, really, really want to watch this movie now. Damn you exams.

Well, that was a surprise. What other directors have had shit filmography until that ONE film where they showed potential of greatness?

Sober Thal:

Only cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit for Bob, eh? I guess I'll never see eye to eye with you Bob, but it's okay. I'll still check ya out if you review something other than mainstreamed crap.

He did like Driver.

i knew this film was going to be good nice to know that it has bobs aprovel

Sober Thal:

I havent seen red state or straw dogs (original im goin to talk about) but considering they both seem to occupy the same demographic of edgy philosophically drived action dramas (i think) i find it suprising that he hates one and loved the other.

Maybe he didnt "get" red state, or maybe hes only saying he liked straw dogs to save face.

Either way it seems inconsistant

Bob, you might want to edit the Date of Mr. Jobs's death to 2011, It's 2001 in the video.

One of the closing Images RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2001. You got a Typo there Bob.

I usually trust Movie Bob, but this has a 50ish at Rotten Tomatoes, so I think I'll pass.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! I've actually been wanting to see this movie since I saw the trailers just because once in a while you're looking for something that's just fun to watch, whether it's good or bad. And robots boxing and beating the snot out of each other? Sounds fun!

Steve Jobs died yesterday, not 2001. Just wanted to say that because you wrote 1955-2001. Just saying ;)

maddog015:

Sober Thal:

He did like Driver.

He talked up Driver WAY more than it deserves. It's a good movie, but I couldn't believe we saw the same thing after seeing the movie and hearing his gushings.

Good review. I'll have to reconsider seeing this. Also, RE: your tribute to Jobs, it's 2011, not 2001.

The Stallone movie it reminded me of was Over the Top.

Wow, this is a relief! I am going to go see this monday!

I wasn't sure whether to expect it to be good or not and I'm still not sure. Based on how Bob described it, it seems like a decent movie, but I'm not sure it's worth the trip.

Props on not letting prejudgement ruin your opinion. I'll watch it if the oportunity is given.

Wait, a recommendation? What?

Wait, what?

Hmm. Well, you were right about Drive, so I'll take you at your word.

Sober Thal:

*SNIP*
He talked up Driver WAY more than it deserves. It's a good movie, but I couldn't believe we saw the same thing after seeing the movie and hearing his gushings.

I totally agree with you there. But Driver's not cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit.

Glad to hear this movie doesn't blow! I haven't seen a decent robot movie in long time, and I've been looking forward to this film for a while now! So call me a happy camper!

MacNille:
Steve Jobs died yesterday, not 2001. Just wanted to say that because you wrote 1955-2001. Just saying ;)

OR bob knows something, a deep dark secret...

I'm with you on the Kirby praise. I've been playing Mass Attack over the past week or so and it's pretty great too. And even though I typically don't play many Wii games, I'll be returning to DreamLand myself with this one.

Kirby is the one Nintendo franchise I have never tired of. All the Big N's titles are great, but over the years I've lost interest in Zelda and Metriod and even Mario to a degree. But never little Kirby. His games are always fun, charming, and usually hard to put down.

Im sure that this movie was originally called rockem sockem robots, good to hear its good since we need more robot movies that don't suck like transformers.

ah Kirby, one of Nintendo's mascots that's been getting a lot more praise as of late. I'm just glad to see the little guy go "om nom nom" again. Also, Skyward Sword will be awesome.

Anyway, so not nearly as bad eh? I'm still gonna skip it, I have better things to watch. I might watch on a Riff Trax though

thestickman88:

MacNille:

OR bob knows something, a deep dark secret...

So that Steve Job we have seen all this year is.... a zomibe?!

"Sometimes the system works"

We wouldn't be following it so avidly if it didn't.

But actually caring about your product, rather than the money, is always a good start.

maddog015:

Sober Thal:

*SNIP*

I totally agree with you there. But Driver's not cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit.

It was predictable, slow paced, and the only interesting parts (for me) were unrelated to the main plot. The opening sequence and then the bar scene with the same thug/robber were great. The rest of the movie was kinda so-so. Also, really bad ending. But no, Driver wasn't Hollywood shit, it wasn't anything that great either, but still a good movie.

Oh yeah, the 'action' scenes were rather sub par. The driving and fighting weren't much to speak of.

I'll go see it next week when things calm down over where I am, (helping my bro out with a robotics competition, what coincidence).

I have no interest in going to see this, but if my son was older I wouldn't have a problem taking him to see it. The next time someone brings up the "MovieBob forgets that people make movies in order to make money" or "it's a pop-corn film, why are you setting your expectations so high" I'm linking to this review for them. Good or bad, this movie sounds better than the usual "toy commercial" vehicle.

Sober Thal:

Usually people complain about Bob being overly harsh when it comes to mainstream money-makers like this, I guess he just can't catch a break :)

Mr. Chipman now, now, it may quite honestly be a little early to make Steve Jobs jokes, subtle as they are. He died yesterday, not 2001 when he totally sold out. Try again in a week or so when no one cares.

On the Real Steel end of the spectrum, quite relieved to see that the movie is not in fact a pile of crap. I may have to go see it now.

Sober Thal:

Ummm...

Who the fuck would like Red State?

Anyways, good to see that it isnt as bad as was predicted.

Great review, MovieBob. Wouldn't mind seeing this in the theater. Either that, or renting it. Looks like it would be a great film to watch none the less.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know your opinion on one thing though...

What are your thoughts on the whole controversy surrounding the recent issue of "Red Hood and the Outlaws?" Mainly with how Starfire was portrayed in it. To sum it up, lots of people upset that Starfire spends her time in it posing in her bikini, and they've had her somewhat become a slut by having slept with both Jason Todd/Red Hood and Roy Harper/Red Arrow. While I personally wasn't offended, I would agree it was stupid. Only way I think DC comics can fix this is if they were to handwave it, say it was Blackfire in disguise as her sister through use of some kind of device, while the real Starfire is held captive someplace or is somewhere else like her home planet.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or