Escape to the Movies: Real Steel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Saarai-fan:
What are your thoughts on the whole controversy surrounding the recent issue of "Red Hood and the Outlaws?" Mainly with how Starfire was portrayed in it. To sum it up, lots of people upset that Starfire spends her time in it posing in her bikini, and they've had her somewhat become a slut by having slept with both Jason Todd/Red Hood and Roy Harper/Red Arrow. While I personally wasn't offended, I would agree it was stupid. Only way I think DC comics can fix this is if they were to handwave it, say it was Blackfire in disguise as her sister through use of some kind of device, while the real Starfire is held captive someplace or is somewhere else like her home planet.

Thoughts?

If anyone who works for DC sees what you've posted, I think they're going to steal your idea verbatim.

OT: The little kid in me that absolutely loved Legos (and robots) is now very excited for this movie. It's awful of them to have made the look much more like Transformers than it really is, seemingly undersells it greatly.

... Sigh.

You know what pisses me off? The delays in international movie publication. If the gaming industry - an industry that has been around for far shorter than film - can get it right, with only 1-5 days inbetween release dates for almost any given game, what plausible reason is there for me having to wait until the beginning of November to see this movie in theatres here?

Guess it's Fright Night for me this week, then. Now that it's out, I mean. -.-

How did Mattel and the producers of this movie not get together?

I mean, who doesn't look at this and think "Rock'em Sock'em Robots?"

Definitely called this one on it being good. Glad to hear I was right.

I mean Rock'em Sock'em Robots meets Rocky? Gotta be worth the money right?

I was originally going to go see this movie just to satisfy my love of giant fighting robots, while sleeping through the "not giant fighting robots" parts, but if it's actually okay, maybe I can convince my girlfriend to come with me.

MacNille:

thestickman88:

MacNille:
Steve Jobs died yesterday, not 2001. Just wanted to say that because you wrote 1955-2001. Just saying ;)

OR bob knows something, a deep dark secret...

So that Steve Job we have seen all this year is.... a zomibe?!

No, he's not a zombie, and definitely not a zomibe. His corpse was augmented with Apple technology. Like this.

likes legos, robots, and building?
you just described me from the day i was born to today.

and when i first saw the trailer at the movies (saw TF3) i awas only dissapointed by the fact that it was not called "rock 'em sock 'em robots".

Man, I actually want to see this movie... The robots DO look good in this movie, 10 times better than the robots in the Transformers movies... Which is why I was so uncertain about this movie, the robots reminded me too much of the Transformers movies...

Also, MovieBob, you messed up the years AGAIN! You did that once in a previous video, but here, when you mentioned Steve Jobs, you said 2001 instead of 2011!

MacNille:
Steve Jobs died yesterday, not 2001. Just wanted to say that because you wrote 1955-2001. Just saying ;)

Ah I was about to point that out. Ninja'd I guess.

Not sure if Kant loved Kirby enough to name it as an absolute good, but I'll take that as a recommendation...

Huh, I was anticipating disliking this one myself, maybe I'll give it another look now.

Saarai-fan:

What are your thoughts on the whole controversy surrounding the recent issue of "Red Hood and the Outlaws?" Mainly with how Starfire was portrayed in it. To sum it up, lots of people upset that Starfire spends her time in it posing in her bikini, and they've had her somewhat become a slut by having slept with both Jason Todd/Red Hood and Roy Harper/Red Arrow. While I personally wasn't offended, I would agree it was stupid. Only way I think DC comics can fix this is if they were to handwave it, say it was Blackfire in disguise as her sister through use of some kind of device, while the real Starfire is held captive someplace or is somewhere else like her home planet.

Thoughts? Anyone?

not really a DC fan, but i don't see how turning one of your characters into a slut will help anything.
only way it would work, is in a case like Morrigan's (Dark Stalkers) because, well, succubus, its kinda what they do, to my under standing, Star fire's racial customs don't really condone 'sex' for its own sake (feel free to correct me, hardly an expert here) and are more about love via an emotional connection.

as for the movie, good to hear, it looked like fun from the trailers, good to hear it is fun

I totally agree, when I found out the first thing I thought was "who is this slut and what has she done to Starfire?!" There is no way to save this horrifying mis-characterization other than to wave it away as mind control or a body switch.

yay! I have been wanting to see this movie for months, even when I thought it was just going to be a "not good enough to be a summer blockbuster so let's stick it in that space before all the Oscar Baiters and Holiday films come out" movie. I've been tempted to buy a few of the toys, which speaks to the quality of the character designs, and now that I hear it's also a GOOD movie overall I want to see it ten times more!

ZZoMBiE13:
I'm with you on the Kirby praise. I've been playing Mass Attack over the past week or so and it's pretty great too. And even though I typically don't play many Wii games, I'll be returning to DreamLand myself with this one.

Kirby is the one Nintendo franchise I have never tired of. All the Big N's titles are great, but over the years I've lost interest in Zelda and Metriod and even Mario to a degree. But never little Kirby. His games are always fun, charming, and usually hard to put down.

To be fair, Kirby's last large console game was back in 2000 with Kirby 64 on the Nintendo 64. He's had a few handheld games and that little racing game since then, but it's really been eleven years since they had a large, console-developed platformer for him, while Metroid has had Prime, Prime 2, Prime 3, and Other M, Mario has had Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2, and Zelda has had Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and the upcoming Skyward Sword.
Metroid also has had three handheld titles, Mario has had two handheld titles (one a remake of Super Mario 64), and Zelda has had six handheld titles (one a remake of Ocarina of Time).

Of course I've discounted super star smash-ups like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros., but Kirby does appear to get less love than most of Nintendo's franchises. All of the above is only from the year 2000 to December of this year (the release date for Skyward Sword). I also haven't counted Epic Yarn because it's a departure from the "typical" style of Kirby games. It could very well have had an entirely different main character and still have been the same game, therefore I don't consider it a classic Kirby title.

Oh, and OT: Nice to see this movie isn't completely horrible, one of my friends was rather interested in seeing it so it's reassuring to hear that he'll probably enjoy it if he does go to watch it. It didn't particularly interest me, but it's always nice to know that Hollywood is capable of churning out decent films from time to time.

Color me surprised.

Might have to see this one.

Kitsuna10060:

not really a DC fan, but i don't see how turning one of your characters into a slut will help anything.
only way it would work, is in a case like Morrigan's (Dark Stalkers) because, well, succubus, its kinda what they do, to my under standing, Star fire's racial customs don't really condone 'sex' for its own sake (feel free to correct me, hardly an expert here) and are more about love via an emotional connection.

I don't really know shit about DC, but from what I understand, she is an alien, and thus our concepts of love and mating do not apply. And from some old little strip I saw, her race seems to enjoy multiple loves and/or lovers.

Edit:

Said strip:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/22/behind-the-scenes-on-starfire-and-red-hood-and-the-outlaws-1/

Edit x2:

Said strip direct link wasn't working, click the above and scroll down a little.

Man the theaters with this movie are gonna be packed tonight if what you say is true Bob. Overall im glad though im hype to sneak peeks at it tonight myself.

im glad to hear this movie is good. Maybe we'll go see it this weekend.

Still don't get the level of narcissism needed to add "while I never really liked his stuff" to a RIP of Steve Jobs. Are people afraid their friends will tease them if they don't add that line? Jobs helped create Pixar for goodnes sake. That should be enough for anyone movie fan that loves Toy Story, Nemo, The Incredibles, Up, etc etc.

I am very disappointed in critics when it comes to this movie. It's a movie where you get to see robots hitting each other. I just. The fact that movie bob was humbled at all annoys me. Can't you just like things for being what they are?

I too did honestly expect it to be a trailer for a gritty reboot of "rock em sock em robots" and still have it in my head the only reason it WASN'T was that half way thorough production they were not able to secure the rights.

Still, even though I was fairly sure from the beginning it was going to be an alright action movie I was honestly looking forward to it. I'm glad it's more than that, and am sure I will enjoy it!

when i first saw the trailer for this, i thought it was a rock em sock em robots movie

Hmm, that surprised me. I excepted it to be bad at best, but this was a nice turn of events. I might go check it out this weekend. :3

I think "Does Reel Steel knock Bob's block off?" would have been a better comment than Rock'em Sock'em

If Jobs died 10 years ago does that mean the only reason for the iPad is that it's the only thing they could come up with by splicing together old footage and editing?

I saw this at the New Zealand premiere a few days ago. While the robot fighting is great, the story is incredibly predictable, painfully so. Original script, this ain't.

Colour me surprised. If Bob liked it, maybe it's worth checking out.

I've been hoping for this to be surprisingly amazing while also expecting it to be foul. I'm glad my first instinct was right, I'll definitely be watching it.

I was ready to dislike this movie, but the more trailers I watched, the more I found myself willing to give it a shot. I'm glad Movie Bob liked it, and I'm glad I went with my gut on this one. I'll definitely have to give it a shot.

I'm so glad this got a good review from you, I was really looking forward to seeing it. You're mostly my go too guy on film reviews so this has made my day.
Thank you Mr Chipman.

Flimsii:

Sober Thal:
Yeah, Bob really likes Real Steel and Thor... but not Red State?

Only cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit for Bob, eh? I guess I'll never see eye to eye with you Bob, but it's okay. I'll still check ya out if you review something other than mainstreamed crap.

I havent seen red state or straw dogs (original im goin to talk about) but considering they both seem to occupy the same demographic of edgy philosophically drived action dramas (i think) i find it suprising that he hates one and loved the other.

Maybe he didnt "get" red state, or maybe hes only saying he liked straw dogs to save face.

Either way it seems inconsistant

What? just because they fit into the same vague genre definition doesn't mean he has to like both of them.

Oh, and if you actually watch his reviews you'll figure it out. See, part of the review is that he points out what he doesn't and does like about the films. he said he liked the tension at play throughout Straw Dogs, he said he found Red State to be dull and unintelligent. There we go, dilemma solved. Do you see how this works?

EDIT: Whoops, my flippancy was misplaced. Turns out the poster I quoted was being sarcastic.

HBaskerville:
Still don't get the level of narcissism needed to add "while I never really liked his stuff" to a RIP of Steve Jobs. Are people afraid their friends will tease them if they don't add that line? Jobs helped create Pixar for goodnes sake. That should be enough for anyone movie fan that loves Toy Story, Nemo, The Incredibles, Up, etc etc.

Nope. Never happened.

Also, before people start banging on about how Jobs was a world-changing wunderkind again, I'll just link to this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.316636-Steve-Jobs-Has-Died?page=4#12885625

I mean it's tragic that a man has lost his life to an illness and his friends and family deserve nothing but sympathy, I also appreciate the fact that he was an extremely talented businessman who helped to develop personal computing, but that's where the buck stops.

Got to admit with everything going into the film like the release date, the production team, wondering if it was just riding on the coat tails of those horrible Transformers movies I was also thinking it would be a bad movie not worth the time or effort to see it.

But then mixed reviews started coming in to give me a slight bit of hope that maybe I was wrong about this film.

Given that my movie taste often run very close to those of Bob I think I may have to give this film a chance. Even if it's not film perfection it still sounds like it could be good enough to make it feel like I got my money's worth on the ticket.

I somehow knew that it would be a good movie in the sense that movie bob liking it would be a fun 6 minutes to watch telling me so

Swifteye:
I am very disappointed in critics when it comes to this movie. It's a movie where you get to see robots hitting each other. I just. The fact that movie bob was humbled at all annoys me. Can't you just like things for being what they are?

When you expect a movie to be bad based on what sounds like a terrible premise, and then are pleasantly surprised, your expectations were wrong.

It's not a matter of liking a movie for what it was, it's the fact that you expected to not like a movie for what it was, and was humbled by the fact that it was likable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here