Escape to the Movies: Real Steel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Wait. I want to be clear on this. They honestly did make a movie about - ROCK 'EM - SOCK 'EM ROBOTS?!

When I said they would do something like that next after MLP and Transformers became popular, I was kidding!

Bob knows the truth...

Steve Jobs has been dead for years, and Apple's Android unit has taken his place until just recently being decommissioned. >_>

I seriously thought that someone had just re-titled a Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots movie when I first saw the trailers. Glad to hear this is good.

Might one call this an exception that proves the rule? I'm seriously asking because I'm not sure but I'd like to know and why /not/ whatever the case.

InterAirplay:

Flimsii:

Sober Thal:
Yeah, Bob really likes Real Steel and Thor... but not Red State?

Only cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit for Bob, eh? I guess I'll never see eye to eye with you Bob, but it's okay. I'll still check ya out if you review something other than mainstreamed crap.

I havent seen red state or straw dogs (original im goin to talk about) but considering they both seem to occupy the same demographic of edgy philosophically drived action dramas (i think) i find it suprising that he hates one and loved the other.

Maybe he didnt "get" red state, or maybe hes only saying he liked straw dogs to save face.

Either way it seems inconsistant

What? just because they fit into the same vague genre definition doesn't mean he has to like both of them.

Oh, and if you actually watch his reviews you'll figure it out. See, part of the review is that he points out what he doesn't and does like about the films. he said he liked the tension at play throughout Straw Dogs, he said he found Red State to be dull and unintelligent. There we go, dilemma solved. Do you see how this works?

Your post reeks of pretension.

Maybe i have to use a /sarcasm tag to make it simpler for your glorious mind.

I was critising the original poster by pointing out two movies that he had opposing viewpoints for and that the broad generalisation of "hollywood crap" was a fallacy.

Do you see how this works?

Draconalis:

Swifteye:
I am very disappointed in critics when it comes to this movie. It's a movie where you get to see robots hitting each other. I just. The fact that movie bob was humbled at all annoys me. Can't you just like things for being what they are?

When you expect a movie to be bad based on what sounds like a terrible premise, and then are pleasantly surprised, your expectations were wrong.

It's not a matter of liking a movie for what it was, it's the fact that you expected to not like a movie for what it was, and was humbled by the fact that it was likable.

Yeah but that's the thing. Who would think "Robots beating each other up to a tune of a rocky story" would be bad that sounds flipping awesome from where I stand.

Flimsii:

InterAirplay:

Flimsii:

I havent seen red state or straw dogs (original im goin to talk about) but considering they both seem to occupy the same demographic of edgy philosophically drived action dramas (i think) i find it suprising that he hates one and loved the other.

Maybe he didnt "get" red state, or maybe hes only saying he liked straw dogs to save face.

Either way it seems inconsistant

What? just because they fit into the same vague genre definition doesn't mean he has to like both of them.

Oh, and if you actually watch his reviews you'll figure it out. See, part of the review is that he points out what he doesn't and does like about the films. he said he liked the tension at play throughout Straw Dogs, he said he found Red State to be dull and unintelligent. There we go, dilemma solved. Do you see how this works?

I was critising the original poster by pointing out two movies that he had opposing viewpoints for and that the broad generalisation of "hollywood crap" was a fallacy.

Sorry. You should have used a /sarcasm tag for idiots like me.

I don't know if I wanna see this. It's just a retelling of a Twilight Zone episode.

The whole thing looks (from trailers) to be rock 'em sock 'em robots in movie form .... while I have never played it, it has been in many a tv programme so I get the jist of it.

I kind of want to see it for the lolz factor but I am not exactly pumped to go and watch it.

Who cares when Steve Jobs died, this site shreds apple products and ifanboys, so now we have to accurately represent when he died, when even news loathers like me know when he died. None of us actually knew him so his death effects none of us in anyway, Ithings will still be made and sold in billions yadda yadda yadda.

I love these kinds of things. I make a habit of prematurely judging pretty much everything, and I'm always happy to be pleasantly surprised. It's also very refreshing to hear of a movie that doesn't feel the need to arbitrarily up the stakes. Plus, and it's ridiculous that it needs to be said, it's nice to hear about a movie where the people involved actually care.

Oh, and that Steve Jobs part was very classy, but if there's ever a time to spell check, that would be it...

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed that Bob had Steve dying a decade sooner than he did. I was seriously confused for a few moments when I read that because I just got done watching a Doctor Who marathon and I could totally believe space and time went all wonkey and now dates have changed. . . . but then I shook my head and realized it was just a typo:) Looking forward to seeing that movie though!

Whoops, double-post. Scroll down a little, I left the content in the second one.

Flimsii:

InterAirplay:

Flimsii:

Sorry. You should have used a /sarcasm tag for idiots like me.

I didnt call you an idiot.

I inferred that you are a try hard who seeks to boost his own ego by slandering and shit talking others.

There's a difference ^^

Um... am I missing a joke here? I mean.... now you're slagged me off just as much, if not more, than I did to you. I never actually attacked you either, but I did imply you weren't paying attention to what Bob says, which was dickish of me. And that's without even mentioning the fact that I didn't get your sarcasm.

I'm genuinely sorry about jumping down your throat, I'm just confused.... are you still attacking me? Why?

I was looking forward to seeing this and it's nice to know it doesn't suck.

Dear Lord!!! a movie about giant fightingrobots thats actually good... thats it i'm waiting on the apocalypse now.

this movie speaks to my inner 10 year old self that watched dexters laboratory, that played with legos, and that love to invent things that never worked. This is deffently a classic for the new generation.

I don't think I can watch it. I can seriously know the entire story of the movie from you and the trailers. I just can't walk into movies like that.

"Inevitable Heel/Face turn"

I sense the presence of a fellow wrestling fan.

-------------------

I'm actually surprised to hear he liked this. My cousin wanted me to go see it with him, and from what I saw of the trailers it made me leery. I mean it's "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots: The Movie" for crying out loud!

As long as it isn't a repeat of Transformers 3 I'll be fine. That movie annoyed the hell out of me, and what little good parts there actually were was ruined by the stupidity of the human characters.

Oh what a relief. I was so desperately hoping this would be good.

Steve Jobs died...10 years ago?

Good review, I tend to agree. It was a well made film, incredibly cliche'd and the kid WAS annoying+the drama was pretty much shoehorned in, but the fight scenes were fucking great. Got my heart racing in the final fight. Definitely check it out.

Thank god!!!

I was really looking forward to this movie and I was terrified that it was going to suck. I'm so giving it a shot now. Thank you MovieBob, thank you!

You don't know how glad I am to hear this is good. It was one film that really caught my eye when I saw the trailer and I don't get interested in films very often.

YES! You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that it was good. I really really REALLY wanted this to be good. Considering the shlop that's been coming out it's been a rough time to be a movie fan but this caught my eye and I was really rooting for it. So this just makes me very happy. Can't wait to see it myself.

Apparently the trailers didn't do it justice. Like Bob, I was geared up for hating this movie. I haven't seen it, but it's nice to know it's got a good referral for when I do.

Though, I do need to be careful with Bob here. I happened to like the Transformer movies >_>

Huh. Sounds interesting. No where near as good as Drive, but it's something to keep in mind when I'm at my grandma's house with younger cousins who want to see a movie.

Somehow, when I saw the promos on television for this film that portray it as "a heart warming tale" and knowing it contained robots... i knew that Bob here would like this.

Seriously. last episode of escape to the movies I intend to watch because I cant really take Bobs critiquing ability seriously. Best of luck.

I too dreaded for this movie. What a relief that it turned out great :D. That's going on my to to watch list.

I saw this movie last night. I enjoyed it :)

Normally I find boxing movies really boring and even though the story is basically the same as all those movies (underdog person fighting through hell and back to fight for the championship title) I thought the robots gave it a unique feel.

Also, robots tearing each other apart = awesome! It's not going to win any 'best picture' awards but it was fun for what it is. However, I found the kid annoying but he was just as much as an arsehole as Hugh Jackman in the movie so it made sense (as they were father & son)

Swifteye:

Yeah but that's the thing. Who would think "Robots beating each other up to a tune of a rocky story" would be bad that sounds flipping awesome from where I stand.

And that's the beatify of opinions, from where I stand, it's a fucktardedly stupid premise, and one I would never have bothered to go see without Bob saying it was good.

And he was right. I still had doubts going in... but it was good movie... a surprisingly damn good movie.

So good, I might even see the shoe-horn sequel I expect to happen.

Draconalis:

Swifteye:

And that's the beatify of opinions, from where I stand, it's a fucktardedly stupid premise, and one I would never have bothered to go see without Bob saying it was good.

And he was right. I still had doubts going in... but it was good movie... a surprisingly damn good movie.

So good, I might even see the shoe-horn sequel I expect to happen.

WHAT. How? Are you like that cynical? My brain literally can't comprehend that without resorting to generalizations and stereotypes.

Kirby, fuck yes!
Bob loves him some Kirby huh?

HUZZAH! I was gonna see this movie ANYWAY based on the fact that it has robots punching each other. Shoot they could have just re-released Robot Jox in theaters and I would have watched it. But I am VERY glad to hear this turned out well!

Also I think this is one of the only times I've seen a trailer and said "I can't wait for them to make a licensed game based on this". I mean it practically makes itself! However I was not expecting it to be...
#1) A $10 XBLA/PSN game
#2) Made by YUKE'S (Smackdown, Rumble Roses, Evil Zone i.e. a developer with a bitof history/skill in this field)
#3) To have CUSTOM ROBOTS AND ONLINE PLAY!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AgxGlixRE
SO excited for this! Judging by the Blog posts, the devs seem pretty enthusiastic about the game. PLEEEASE DON'T SUCK!

The first thing I thought when I saw this movie trailer was Robot Jox from back in 1990. It has a similar idea, but now its boxing instead of combat and they added a family story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks&feature=player_detailpage

yes. I knew it would be good

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook