Escape to the Movies: Real Steel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

xbox 720???

Color me suprised, I was sure he'd pan it.

Glad you are wrong, Mr. Movie Bob. Even though all expectations (including yours) pointed at a crapy-ish film, I still had a good feeling for it. Good all expectations came not as expected :-)
Shall go watch it then, when it opens in my country in a couple of days.

And yes, He will be missed, for pretty much all the reasons you gave.

So "Rock'em Sock'em ROBOTS" succeeds as a film... I wonder if MONOPOLY will have the same success?

Or will it be upstaged by Battleship?

MovieBob:
Real Steel

Rock 'em, sock 'em.

Watch Video

Oh no,

"RIP Steve Jobs 1955 - 2001"

Really REALLY unfortunate typo!

See that looks like a snide remark that he "died" when he had his big break in 2001 with the ipod and mac OS X success.

You have got to change that, it looks like you are being extraordinarily mean, but I know you would never do that, that it's just a typo. But still, gotta change that.

I'm surprised there was no mention of the original source for this film, Steel (1956), especially since it was written by Richard Matheson - the author who gave rise to the excellent film The Incredible Shrinking Man, & the utter fucking travesty of a hack-job I Am Legend.

misterprickly:
So "Rock'em Sock'em ROBOTS" succeeds as a film... I wonder if MONOPOLY will have the same success?

Or will it be upstaged by Battleship?

I hope Monopoly, Battleship looks rubbish.

LOL
When I went to the cinema to see "Inbetweeners" and the ad for this played, I remember saying to the person next to me,
"that looks like it could be good"
and they were all "are you kidding"
and I was all "it's BOXING ROBOTS"
Looks like my little hunch may have been well placed after all.

Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em, can you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_rXZ381vo 'em?

Sonicron:
... Sigh.

You know what pisses me off? The delays in international movie publication. If the gaming industry - an industry that has been around for far shorter than film - can get it right, with only 1-5 days inbetween release dates for almost any given game, what plausible reason is there for me having to wait until the beginning of November to see this movie in theatres here?

Guess it's Fright Night for me this week, then. Now that it's out, I mean. -.-

Johnny English?

I liked it alot it was what i expected it to be except the ending

Desert Tiger:
Johnny English?

I wouldn't go near that crap with a ten-foot pole. There's bad comedy, and then there's the kind that's physically painful to me. The first Johnny English was of that latter variety, so the sequel can go die in a fire for all I care.

Oh hell yes, new Kirby.

Surprise twist review, Bob liked it....but still didn't sell me on the idea its worth seeing. Boxing movie with robots is still a boxing movie, not my thing. Maybe some day on Netflix I'll check it out...

So ... the people who made it gave a damn.

Lesson to be learned here, by anyone who made anything that sucked, ever.

Just watched it.

I thought it was fucking awesome. It was SO FUNNNN.

I've watched this video on what Bob said... didn't comment since I wanted to see the movie after First. Now I am back to report it's probably on my Best Movie Ever List.

It was incredible, very well written, the characters were so developed that I felt the morals were strong in this one... the boxing scenes were detailed without that 'Transformer' mix up, and overall it got me more interested plus entertained by the minute. Fantastic movie, along with most things Bob said I agree with (like how the roles of each character was decided perfectly).

I give this movie a 10/10, no pity or extra credit.. it just deserves full credit period. Go see it, the movie really brings back some classic stuff too. You'll know what I mean- just see it!

I'm kinda surprised he didn't mention that this is based off a short story they made a twilight zone episode about, ooo, he should totally make make a Big Picture episode about the Twilight Zone!

Am I the only one who turned to my friend when the preview played for Real Steel and said, "Woah, they made a Teleroboxer movie!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwqHB3KXmr8

To think that the first movie based video game to be good would be based on the obscure virtual boy game Teleroboxer

Wow, I'm surprised, I thought this movie would suck. It looks like a mech version of Angelic Layer. But I'll give it a watch later.

I found the inspiration for this movie!

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=38520

Dude, I totally had this movie idea back in Second grade.

Oh well. "World of Rock Em, Sock Em Online" is still fair game right?

Saarai-fan:
Great review, MovieBob. Wouldn't mind seeing this in the theater. Either that, or renting it. Looks like it would be a great film to watch none the less.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know your opinion on one thing though...

What are your thoughts on the whole controversy surrounding the recent issue of "Red Hood and the Outlaws?" Mainly with how Starfire was portrayed in it. To sum it up, lots of people upset that Starfire spends her time in it posing in her bikini, and they've had her somewhat become a slut by having slept with both Jason Todd/Red Hood and Roy Harper/Red Arrow. While I personally wasn't offended, I would agree it was stupid. Only way I think DC comics can fix this is if they were to handwave it, say it was Blackfire in disguise as her sister through use of some kind of device, while the real Starfire is held captive someplace or is somewhere else like her home planet.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Is this really the place to discuss that? If you want to get Bob's thoughts on that I imagine the best way to do so is to PM him.

As for the movie I was always hoping it would be good, I didn't know about the child character but I did know that it had Hugh Jackman as a coach for a boxing robot, it is a scenrio that very much appeals to the nerd in me.

Oh crap, A NEW KIRBY GAME?!

Why was I not informed of this?!

Saw this movie yesterday, and it was as good as Bob said it would be.

Of course, my amateur film critic skills might have been slightly dulled by the fact that I was sitting next to a woman who is... well, completely adorable. Still, I'm willing to trust my own judgement: go see this movie. It's way better than it has any business being.

Saarai-fan:
Great review, MovieBob. Wouldn't mind seeing this in the theater. Either that, or renting it. Looks like it would be a great film to watch none the less.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know your opinion on one thing though...

What are your thoughts on the whole controversy surrounding the recent issue of "Red Hood and the Outlaws?" Mainly with how Starfire was portrayed in it. To sum it up, lots of people upset that Starfire spends her time in it posing in her bikini, and they've had her somewhat become a slut by having slept with both Jason Todd/Red Hood and Roy Harper/Red Arrow. While I personally wasn't offended, I would agree it was stupid. Only way I think DC comics can fix this is if they were to handwave it, say it was Blackfire in disguise as her sister through use of some kind of device, while the real Starfire is held captive someplace or is somewhere else like her home planet.

Thoughts? Anyone?

O_O

I... I am okay with everything that is going on in that image.

InterAirplay:

Flimsii:

InterAirplay:

Sorry. You should have used a /sarcasm tag for idiots like me.

I didnt call you an idiot.

I inferred that you are a try hard who seeks to boost his own ego by slandering and shit talking others.

There's a difference ^^

Um... am I missing a joke here? I mean.... now you're slagged me off just as much, if not more, than I did to you. I never actually attacked you either, but I did imply you weren't paying attention to what Bob says, which was dickish of me. And that's without even mentioning the fact that I didn't get your sarcasm.

I'm genuinely sorry about jumping down your throat, I'm just confused.... are you still attacking me? Why?

'Cuz he's an ass who can't get banned fast enough for my liking. I think the thing he smelled that "reeked of pretension" was his upper lip.

oh wow, it went from fresh to rotten overnight on RT

oh well whatever, I'm watching it this week

Vault Citizen:

Is this really the place to discuss that? If you want to get Bob's thoughts on that I imagine the best way to do so is to PM him.

Yeah, I guess that is something that should probably be asked through PM, or on the Big Picture, perhaps. My bad. Still, lot of people are complaining about it unfortunately.

Dr Snakeman:
O_O

I... I am okay with everything that is going on in that image.

Yeah, I don't mind seeing the fanservice myself to a certain degree. Regardless though, having had her slept with Jason Todd and Red Arrow is just... wrong. Ewwww. :S

Hitchmeister:
How did Mattel and the producers of this movie not get together?

I mean, who doesn't look at this and think "Rock'em Sock'em Robots?"

Because Rock'em Sock'em has some rights issues with Hasbro, and Producer Don Murphy had a BIG falling out with Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner.

I was really surprised when I first saw the trailer...like what wait what Hugh Jackman whaaat?? Rock em sock em robots the movie??

but nice to hear the people at least cared, or the results seemed to show that they did. will be watching this later this week when I get the time. was planning to anyway, since me and some round me are Hugh Jackman fans

Steve jobs is so epic, he died twice, and patented something after he died.
hmm nice reccomndation bob

Sober Thal:
Yeah, Bob really likes Real Steel and Thor... but not Red State?

Only cookie cutter, predictable, Hollywood shit for Bob, eh? I guess I'll never see eye to eye with you Bob, but it's okay. I'll still check ya out if you review something other than mainstreamed crap.

maybe because both Real Steel and Thor were good and red state was probably the worst film that was released this year? i mean seriously did you watch any of them?

OT.little pissed that i didnt get to see the whole ending i mean i know who won but i dont know if that was just the end or if there was more....... stupid fucking snow made the power fail:(

Gotta admit, I was going to give this flick a pass, mainly because of the original trailer where one robot literally knocks off the head of another with an uppercut.

I was a child of the '70s. This was called "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots", and with "Battleship" coming out? It looked like "Real Steel" was going to be yet another bad idea for preying on the sentimentalities surrounding my childhood.

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to give this flick a shot after all.

Korskarn:

Hitchmeister:
How did Mattel and the producers of this movie not get together?

I mean, who doesn't look at this and think "Rock'em Sock'em Robots?"

Because Rock'em Sock'em has some rights issues with Hasbro, and Producer Don Murphy had a BIG falling out with Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner.

It's just as well. having seen the movie now, I realize that any sort of licensing deal would have probably screwed up a surprisingly good movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here