Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?

Watch Video

I was unaware of this impression that DW sucked...

I too have enjoyed the DW series since the DW3, and have purchased every one since release... (gods 6 sucked...)

Edit:

I really wanted to find a clip to add to the greatest voice acting ever... but I am left with only quotes...

Who can forget, "We shall stop them dead"?

Also... Zhang He is one of my favorite characters, 2nd only to Cao Cao himself.

Thank God for more Jim!!

Great episode, I laughed my ass off! Mario is a button masher, and Dynasty warriors will never be the same for me. I may go get me a copy on pay day, now that I look at it in a different light. Which one to start with tho... hmm... I played a demo for one (not sure which) and wasn't that impressed. I'll look to the bargain bin.

Oh yeah: JIM WINS!

I haven't played a DW game since the first of the Gundam offshoots. It might be time to get reacquainted with the series.

I tried out a demo for a DW game. I didn't like it.

But I may try out another one now, just to see if it's really as fun as you say it is.

My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.

good points as usual. I must say, after yahtzee, I think that this has become my favourite show on the escapist. Thank bhuddah for Jim

Yes Dynasty Warriors is therapeutic, but its still shallow shovelware.

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.

You went a little insane during this episode Jim. I don't know if I should be calling you a psychiatrist or a priest.

But good episode none-the-less.

He kinda went insane in this episode but I agree. I wouldn't call it the citizen Kane of gaming but I love Dynasty warriors although I haven't bought any of the recent titles sadly.

GeneralFungi:
You went a little insane during this episode Jim. I don't know if I should be calling you a psychiatrist or a priest.

But good episode none-the-less.

Why not both? Just to be safe.

lol

You should go insane more often. Yeah I like dynasty warriors too, and the often overlooked Bladestorm. Good hacking fun.

Whoot more Jimquisition

I like DW too. Including the spinoffs...

I'll take your liking Dynasty Warriors and up the ante by declaring a fondness for DW6e.

EverythingIncredible:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive.

It's no more repetitive than most sports and shooter titles, though. and that was part of Jim's point, really. not to mention, the button-mashing elements of a LOT of action games these days. Prototype or God of War could have the same attribution with the same amount of honesty to the claims.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane, but certainly it's the equivalent of your standard Kung Fu flick. I unabashedly enjoy myself a good beat-em-up in the same way I enjoy a solid martial arts flick, even if the movie is otherwise...Lacking. Do people get kicked and punched a lot? Yes? Good.

volX:
I like DW too. Including the spinoffs...

A shame I can't get Samurai Warriors 3 in this country without shelling out to own a Wii again.

I've loved the DW series since 3 as well. The zen like state you can enter while mowing down the 300 soldier just can't be described. I prefer the Gundam versions myself but they're all good... except DW6. That sucked! I prefered the PS One original over DW6.

People say it's repetitive... yes it is but it's never really boring unless you play for hours on end. People say it's a button masher... all games that aren't shooter or puzzle games are button mashers, live with it! People say it's just the same game with new box art... It's not unlike Call Of Duty and Battlefield and EVERY SPORTS GAME!

I admit it's not for everyone but it's not as bad as it's accused of being. I find it hard to agree that it's the Citizen Kane of gaming.

Zachary Amaranth:

EverythingIncredible:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive.

It's no more repetitive than most sports and shooter titles, though. and that was part of Jim's point, really. not to mention, the button-mashing elements of a LOT of action games these days. Prototype or God of War could have the same attribution with the same amount of honesty to the claims.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane, but certainly it's the equivalent of your standard Kung Fu flick. I unabashedly enjoy myself a good beat-em-up in the same way I enjoy a solid martial arts flick, even if the movie is otherwise...Lacking. Do people get kicked and punched a lot? Yes? Good.

Personally I haven't played a sports or a shooter title in a long time. So I can't speak on that.

Nice troll title there Jim...

OT: I would love to give it a try, but from what I have seen, I really can't stand the art design. Not sure if that will ruin THESE games for me, but it has in the past.

I've been with Dynasty warriors since it was a one on one fighting game and loved it all the way. Granted the button mashing might be a little repetitive, but the same could be said for a lot of great games, Kingdom Hearts anyone? The only major problem I have is that it's basically the same story told over and over again. Granted, they do what they can to spice up each battle and the game is tied to history, but there's only so many times you can set fire to Chi Bi before it gets dull.

I remember having a great time playing some Dynasty Warriors game with a friend of mine. It never carried over to my regular gaming habits because I didn't have a PS2, and later on a sense (I don't know where it originated) that there was a lot of shit and it would be too much work to figure out which game was the diamond in the rough.

I certainly have an affinity for the concept, however.

Even just as a hook, invoking Citizen Kane is weird.

I played a good chunk of my friends DW5 (at least I think it was 5), it was really fun but got a bit repetitive and when I then played a bit of DW4 it just felt like I was playing the exact same game. That doesn't make it bad, their are series that I like that the same complaint has been brought against (zelda). Granted I haven't played the more recent ones and if a friend picked it up I would sit down and enjoy it, but I can't see myself picking it up. Really makes you wish for the days of being able to easily rent a game because Dynasty Warriors seems like the perfect rent game.

I haven't played Dynasty Warriors, but the rant reminded me of Barbarian Onslaught: The Secret of Steel - a cute little flash game where you do mash one button to win. And it's a lot deeper and more fun than you'd expect.

SOMEBODY STOP HIM! HE'S GONE MAD WITH POWER!!

LoL I kid, funny stuff Jim. I don't really have an opinion on Dynasty Warriors, never really played it enough to make an impression on me. What I have played left me rather bored, but if you like it then good for you. I prefer my gaming catharsis to come from Burnout. But that game can cause as much stress as it relieves on some occasions, depending on the game mode.

Interesting you would say that Dynasty Warriors is like a modern version of old beat-em-ups. I was thinking about that topic not long ago. I was thinking that games like DMC and God of War are like the modern version of beat-em-ups in layout but their control scheme is more like that of full on fighting games. That gave me the idea of mating the co-op multiplayer of these older beat-em-ups with the modern DMC types. That would be a totally awesome game, although I'm guessing near impossible to implement. Although you could argue that they are aiming to do that with the Darksiders series, but the game has a much wider focus than just combat, so I guess it isn't really the same thing. That and the fact they haven't even got to the point of trying to do it yet.

It seems Jim is taking his new found freedom to terrifying extremes... What hell have we unleashed?

Anyway, I personally don't like Dynasty Warriors, but I don't hold it against anyone for enjoying it.

How can DW be the Citizen Kane of gaming and "the video game equivalent of a stress ball"? I don't remember Citizen Kane being very cathartic; maybe Jim means to compare it to something like Die Hard? To use that two hour ponderous slog as an analogy of a fast-paced hackathon, whether the outcome is a positive or negative review, seems a bit far fetched.

Yay! More Jimquisition episodes to look forward to! I got really worried when he brought up the possibility that this could have been his last episode.

I rarely watch your episodes, but this got my attention. Because I am a DW fan. I owe the game series my life. Thanks to it, I read the Romance of Three Kingdoms which led to me taking Asian History classes, which led me to learning Chinese which is now taking me to China and from there I will take a job as a linguist or something. So yeah, Dynasty Warriors is the start of it all for me. I owe it my life. Who'd have thought?

Also the camp with the ROTK characters (figures of history) is nothing unique to DW. China has always done this and the figures are ridiculously prevalent in China. I recently came across a collectible card card game of ROTK.

Meanwhile, Koei has finally listened to me:http://troy-game.com/ I've been saying that they should do this since I first discovered Dynasty Warriors.

I was also unaware that people ragged on Dynasty Warriors - I will admit the number of releases the series gets is a little silly, but you only really ever need to buy one version per console generation and you're good.

i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films

....And now I'm a Jim fan.

Shine on you loveable fat psychopath.

thank you jim so much i love DW games and have been playing it since 2 and i will be using your video to prove that this game is the best also people compare DW games to EA sport games i would like to say that DW games upgrade the gameplay mechanics every installment and if any one would like the best DW game then it is DW7 that thing is 7 levels of crazy and as jim put it cathartic fun

AHH Finally something to agree with :D

shame i can only play the ps2 ones :(

therockdemon:
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films

I think it's time for you to learn a new word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here