Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

WOW an episode of Jim I actually liked... the only reason anyone ever started hating DW is because like Madden there is a new one every year and that doesn't even include the reskined clones like DW:GUNDAM.

If Koei adjusted their release schedule and made sure every game had at least 1 new feature or improvement that couldn't have been patched into the previous version people would certainly complain a lot less.

CriticKitten:

Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.

I don't usually watch Jimquisition. Just not for me. Though I loves me some dynasty warriors. I was late to the party not getting on board until dw4. I love playing it with a friend especially. A human being in the same room as me. Something a lot of modern games don't understand.
Oh and

FOR SHU!

Indeed, grabbing my massive weapon and pounding the ever-loving shit out of it is how I like to relax too.

But well done to Jim for winning this round. (I think you've won more, but they'll come for me in my sleep if I say so....)

This episode seems to have been seriously controversial.

DYNASTY WARRIORS IS TEH SHIT!!

Though seriously I actually think that anyone who says they are all exactly the same simply hasn't played enough of them, DW7 is purely new content and its the biggest one yet: its got decent reviews for a reason.

I'm reminded of a terrible game that came out a few years ago called ninety-nine nights. The game was based on the same model, yet had only 7 characters, smaller movesets, more ineffectual soldiers, stupidly strong generals, terrible hit detection and it was as ugly as sin. Yet it scored higher than your usual dynasty warriors game simply because it wasn't in that series.

The games are really quite solid, and are just simple, engaging fun, yet people will still jump to needless persecution because of a mass concensus torwards their apparant poor quality.

The dynasty warriors series are clearly the Jewish community of games, and this forum is sounding like the 1940's.

Zachary Amaranth:

AzrealMaximillion:
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.

I think these are the lies Jim was referencing, so if you were trying to ironically point them out, then thank you.

Except the "same era of history" bit, which is adorable when saying it's more repetitive than shooters, who have a fetish for a couple specific and narrow time periods....

Having actually played these games, I can tell you that what I'm saying about DW is true. Koei has actually been making games in the "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms Era" or China for longer than WWII Shooters.

Koei has been using that setting since 1985.

The big lump of WW2 games didn't come until the mid-late 90s. I think it's adorable that people keep forgetting that.

DW used to be good up until the 5th installment. I'm sorry but when the move set animations look like stiff plastic on a current gen console, I think it's time for a significant update.

Glad to see yer sticking around despite all the hate, dood. You've evolved from a "latest new series" to a highlight of my mondays (I still watch you after the LoadingReadyRun stuff, but that's nothing against you). Nothing like listening to a pudgy guy who's humorously full of himself rant on about a random video-game based topic. Here's to another fine season!

Woooo! Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim!

I actually applauded at the end of this episode! Congratulations on being renewed and thank GOD for you indeed sir.

you know to be totally honest i agree with him.

i perhaps wouldn't say "Citizen Kane" but i do equate them with the early arcade beat-em ups and play them in much the same way when i just wanna maul loads :)

I've always loved the DW series, so thanks Jim! Also I agree that Mario is just one button, and yet everyone is nuts about it.

You know what strikes me as odd. Professional reviewers and sites moan about a near yearly release of Dynasty Warrior games, and usually something new is introduced each time. But a not PEEP! about fucking Madden every damn year like clockwork.

EDIT: Also, I love the DW series as well, just to say. DW 4 for the PS2 is still my personal favorite. Lu Bu is a bastard, that is all.

I'm safe because I didn't like Contra or Streets of Rage.
I have numerous friends at varying levels of gemer-ness who love Dynasty Warriors though. The mainstay for the past 2 or 3 years has been the Gundam/DW hybrids though, we prefer smashing robots to feudal peasants. Same great voice acting too.

Glad you're staying Jim. You really grew on me after I watched your youtube vids.

And I love DW. It's a brainless game done well. It's pure fun for me. Knowing that you've mowed down over 1000 men within 20 minutes makes me feel good :3

Yes it's not done much (and could do more) for innovation in the last few years, but it's still good. I plan to get the latest one, and possibly the one after that at some point.

One of your better episodes, it was my main laugh of the day.

I've watched a few eps of Jimquisition. He makes good points, but it's this episode has cemented me as a fan of his. He's probably the only game reviewer in the western world that doesn't just write off Koei games completely, and give them an arbitrarily low score.

The rewviers that gloss over DW tend to omit the changes made, and give low scores just tend to earn a level of eternal hatred that leaves me only tolerating them. They seriously need to get someone on staff that can frikking appreciate the game.

And like others before me have said, while Koei makes minor changes, and a major change now and then, and get bashed over it, a lot of other games get away with it, and game reviewers don't seem to mind. That's just hypocracy there!

I've enjoyed playing Romance of the three Kingdoms, and Nobunaga's Ambition since the NES days.

I've played Dynasty Warriors steadily since DW3, and enjoyed the hell out of the Gundam spinoffs.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Samurai Warriors to return to a system I have. :P

I will admit that the evoloution of Dynasty Warriors is a slow one with some experimentations here and there, but overall, the little changes are worth it IMO. Especially the LARGE CHANGE of having online, and a minor change in being able to use seige machines.

I also liked DW:Strikeforce. :P

So yeah, Jim has helped restore some of my faith in humanity. I'm still misanthropic here, but still!

I can understand you love Dinasty Warriot... But any of the reason you give are not enough to make it the Citizen kane... It would have to be impact full and intelligent and narativelly competant to be

The last 15 seconds or so scared the shit out of me. See you next Monday, Jim!

FUCK YESS!!!! Thank you Jim. I too have been a fan of the series since Dynasty Warriors 2 and reveal in its mindless fun and i'm tired of seeing it get a 2 out of 10 from critics when its a game that i end up spending more time in than the latest AAA title.

Fun Fact: The Frist Dynasty Warriors was a head to head fighter...and a terrible one at that. I don't know what made them change tatics so drasticly but thank god they did.

I wonder if that bit about this being his last episode was just a tie in to the theme of him fronting a funny opinion. I mean, his vids have all had hundreds of comments on them. Moreso than other shows in the past.

Talvrae:
I can understand you love Dinasty Warriot... But any of the reason you give are not enough to make it the Citizen kane... It would have to be impact full and intelligent and narativelly competant to be

Yo I think that was hyperbole. Ie, deliberate exaggeration for effect.

Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to bitch about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to bitch about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

CrawlingPastaHellion:
Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.

Firstly, it's only a Bandwagon Argument if you're using the popularity itself to claim that it's a good game series. I wasn't saying that "it's praised thus it's amazing", or even necessarily that "it's praised thus it's better than DK". I was pointing out that the DW series is popular, and that within both fan and critical circles, it is more popular than DK. And that this is not accidental, because what DK does, it generally does worse than DW. Let's not leap to throw out logical fallacies without using them in the proper context, thanks, because believe it or not, saying "logical fallacy!" doesn't actually make you "win" a discussion unless the logical fallacy is actually there in the first place.

Secondly, you're teetering closer to a Slippery Slope than I was to a Bandwagon Argument by somehow suggesting that my claims were a downward spiral towards everything being a rip-off of this or that. Except that my own assertion is grounded in fact: Devil Kings and the Sengoku Basara franchise exist only to offer competition to Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, and generally offers most of the same features. Thus it is a "rip-off" in the same sense that many space-marine-esque shooters of late could safely be called "rip-offs" of Halo: because it's virtually the same game, with the same intent and design, similar control schemes, offers very similar modes and features, and exists purely to compete with a previous game of the exact same type. There is absolutely no question whatsoever where the line is....and your attempts to blur that line haven't made it any less clear. Devil Kings is a patent rip-off of other games of the exact same sort, and there is absolutely no way to argue otherwise because the game exists entirely for the sake of competing with one of the games it emulates. It's fine if you like DK better, but let's not pretend it's completely original or even its own thing. It's not. It's someone who saw Samurai/Dynasty Warriors and said "I can do that too!" and created a very similar game.

Didn't realize there was so much hate towards this.

Anyone who invalidates someone else's opinion's because of something they like they are simply moron's

This video REALLY made me want to go buy Dynasty Warriors now. I very strongly remember Dynasty Warriors as a top-down RTS for some reason.

Togs:
Yes Dynasty Warriors is therapeutic, but its still shallow shovelware.

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.

The change from 5 to 6... bad.

Change from 5 to 7... excellent.

Dynasty 7 was the best in the series since 4 (which was the best).

Though if people want a more fun Dynasty game, try Sengoku Basara.

The thing that annoys me about DW is the crap load of games they make, with very little changed, it's the problem with games like Madden. I think cutting through throngs of enemies is a blast, and I do like DW games, especially DW: Gundam, but they release to damn many of them. Slow down the release schedule, and think of good features to add, and I will like DW even more.

bringer of illumination:
The problem with Dynasty Warriors isn't actually that they're bad games (even though I personally don't enjoy them.

It that all the Dynasty Warriors games are the same fucking game, only it's been released 40 billion times with a new number on the end, and every time a new one come out Jim gives it a glowing review without even mentioning the fact that it's the same FUCKING game as all the others, It's inexcusably lazy.

Also I think it's in very poor taste that the Escapist employs someone like Jim, who uses deliberately inflammatory language and engages in blatant nerd-baiting, when several articles on the site have denounced nerd-baiting as a cheap and mean-spirited way to get hits.

I hear this argument for Madden all the bloody time. It gets old.

To someone who does not like the series, the changes don't appear. Who the hell are the Jin forces, and why should you care? But for fans of the series, the changes make the game better, and gives a much better time of play for us.

Though I do agree that Jim Sterling is a prick. I'm commenting without watching the video, simply because I love the Dynasty series.

I'mANinja:
The thing that annoys me about DW is the crap load of games they make, with very little changed, it's the problem with games like Madden. I think cutting through throngs of enemies is a blast, and I do like DW games, especially DW: Gundam, but they release to damn many of them. Slow down the release schedule, and think of good features to add, and I will like DW even more.

Read above. The changes they made from 6 to 7 were huge.

Implementation of the Renbu System PROPERLY
Introuction of the actual winners of the war, the Jin, and all the characters that come with that.

A fun mode that isn't story mode, and a unique way to unlock new stuff.

But again, to non-fans, the changes don't appear.

you can also say that about all sports games like fifa and tiger woods

Wait... This was supposed to be his last episode? Since when?

i might give the series a go one day. looks shallow but fun

I used to play the crap out of Dynasty Warriors, back about 3/4. I overdid it back then and haven't picked up anything newer (sort of a 'why bother if they're so similar' additude)- but I gotta admit, this really has me wanting to see how different things are now that we're several versions and a new game system in...

DW can also serve as an educational aid, I discovered... back when I was going through 4, i was babysitting a first grader. He fell in love with the game, got his own copy, and played it like crazy. So one day, I brought my copy of 'Mastering the Art of War', and in-between games I told him, "all these people? They were real. This all happened hundreds of years ago in China, and that guy *points to Zhuge Liang* wrote this book." I spent the next two weeks getting badgered for info on who was who and how they related to each other (he couldn't read well enough yet to make use of the in-game info). The hardest part was trying to explain Lu Bu/Diao Chan/Dong Zhuo without getting into too much... detail.

I love the Jimquisition. I must admit that I've never tried a Dynasty Warrior's game, but I was aware of its reputation. I think I should pick one up at my local store.

As was said earlier, nice troll title there, Jim. I lol'd before I even clicked the link.

Seriously, though. DW is less Citizen Kane and more Jackie Chan during the 80's and early 90's. Campy as hell, predictable but consistent quality, and aimed toward Asian audiences. It's constantly overlooked by Western audiences, but still maintains a cult-like following in the West regardless.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here